Next After 100 Years Celebration?

Doug123

DIS Veteran
I was wondering:

1. When does the 100 Years Celebration end?
2. What is the next focus as far as overall theming (such as the Millenium Celebration and 100 Years Celebration)?

First, I am going to bump this.

Most of these changeovers occur in October. I would expect to here the theme for the next either here on these boards, or August by Disney. These boards are usually first.

Originally posted by Doug123
I was wondering:

1. When does the 100 Years Celebration end?
2. What is the next focus as far as overall theming (such as the Millenium Celebration and 100 Years Celebration)?

The Celebration ends on December 31, 2002.

Not sure if/when the next celebration is happening.

I personaly hope that is it with the Celebrations for a while. I'd rather see Disney invest that money in new attractions instead. I bet they'd get the same type of attendance boost from a new whiz-bang attraction.

What exactly is included in the 100 Years Celebration?

Deb Willis' site lists Mickey's Sorcerers Hat in MGM, the new parades in each park and the "One Man's Dream" display.

As slow as Disney has been of late in replacing parades, I can't imagine that all (or really any) of the parades will be gone at year's end.

We can be confident the Hat is here to stay.

I also expect the Dream thing to remain awhile.

Are there other events? (I really want to know as we are going down in early January.)

Why does there always have to be a theme each year? I can understand the year 2000 and I also like the 100 years celebration. I also think it will be great to celebrate Mickey's 75th birthday, but why do some folks think it is great to always have this type of theme going?

I agree with Space42. Spend the money on other things to preserve Disney. :D

Space

I say wipe out the campground and put in Magic Kingdom 2,
what the heck, that's what's happening with all the new disney movies.

Yeah, I vote for a new park.

Have a great week
RayJay

I'm in favor of putting more money into the parks too (like filling the space formerly known as 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea). Keep in mind, though, that this year's 100th Year Celebration has resulted in some addition to the parks: new parades and the exhibit on Walt Disney himself, for example.

Disney regulars benefit from Disney's marketing, which (if only slightly) makes each year completely unique.

I don't agree at all with RAYJAY. The campround is first of all too small for a park. Plus, It is an intregal part of the character of WDW. While I don't disagree with all the posts concerning developing and improving the parks, I would like to point out that there are many empty pavillions that are shut down, and can be developed for improving the parks. Hence, there is plenty of room for developement, with out building a new park, that too would only be deglected.

Dave

I thought I read somewhere they are building 2 parks in the next 10 years and 15 more hotels, now that may be smoke, but they do have the property.

I thought the campground was bigger? I'm not a camper so it's easy for me to pick on that area.

Have a great week.

RayJay

Ok

The 100 Years Was Extended offically untill March 2003 becuase of the months lost because of 9-11.

After that is anyone's guess. They've had two huge celebrations back-to-back without stop. Don't see one for a while.

RAYJAY; I'm sorry, but I have heard nothing on 2 parks, not any more hotels after Pop Century. I have heard, and read that the Disney Institute will be partialy converted to DVC timesahre, (work is well underway), and there will be another new DVC called Eagle Pines built next to Fort Wilderness. I too have been reading rumors about another section of AK to be developed, nicknamed Beastly Kingdom, and nothing official yet...

As far as Fort Wilderness having been expanded, that was originally part of the second phase of WDW developement, in fact Wilderness Lodge's land now sits where Pioneer Hall II was to be built, but all that changed with the threat of the hostile takeovers of Disney in the early 90's.

To my knowledge Fort Wilderness has not expanded. I'll admit there is a gap in my timeline in the years I visited since first going in 1976, but the only change I have seen seems to be more cabins, the removal of the FW Train, and the removal of the sing-a-long & Pizza Bar in Trails End.

Wow, actually talking about rumors on the Rumor board again…

After the Walt 100th ends, the next marketing events will probably center on the opening of ‘Mission: Space’ at Epcot. That should hopefully happen sometime in the spring or summer of 2003. There had been some early talk about staging a year long 100th Anniversary Flight (remember the Wright Brothers) expo at Epcot as well, but I think those plans faded away quickly. The marketing budget for WDW has been cut just like everything else.

As far as I’m aware, there have never been any recent plans to expand the camp ground portion of Fort Wilderness. But there was an announcement for the Buffalo Junction Resort sitting in between the camp ground and the Wilderness Lodge. It would have been a moderate with about 1500 rooms and themed like a Western town. The facades for the buildings would have been storefronts along the town’s streets (think movie set). The Hotel Cheyenne at Euro Disney would have been the model. Although the resort was announced to the public, plans for this and several other resorts were quietly forgotten about five years ago.

Disney has gone through over two years of soft bookings at the resorts, and even postponed the opening of Pop Century because of that long before 9/11. There is some concern that Disney may still be overpriced for the low end market, and the “Value” resorts are causing guests to downgrade their accommodations. Company resources are going into the Vacation Clubs (as mentioned above), with a side benefit of very nice cash infusion the “sale” of those memberships create.

Disney has also made some fits and starts at very high end hotels (beyond the Grand Floridian) but each time they get cold feet about their ability to compete in that market. Internally, many feel that the Grand and the Yacht & Beach Clubs don’t attract the really well-heeled guests willing to throw lots of money on their trip. Instead, both resorts attract vacationers out for a “splurge” on the hotel and make it up with lower spending on meals and merchandise.

So Disney is now in partnership with the Four Seasons chain to build a complex (I think it’s about a 1,000 rooms) in the Town of Celebration. It’s felt that the Four Seasons name and the “off-property” location will be attractive to guests who are still put off by the “Disney World” brand.

Plans for additional parks were completely forgotten early in 2000 when attendance failed to meet Disney’s expectations. Internally Disney is afraid that additional theme parks will simply cannibalize attendance in the same way that Animal Kingdom has done. And publicly they’ve stated they want to see a significant increase in foreign visitors (read to mean people with large wallets) before they would consider a fifth park.

Of course there are even more rumor-rumors about "unique partnerships" for new resorts, but those are really even smoke yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter