Nexus Card Needed for Canadian Cruisers?

Pigwie

Earning My Ears
So, I saw on planDisney that Canadian travelers going to the Caribbean (closed loop, leaving from PC) need a passport AND a Nexus card? Is this true? I have valid passports for everyone in my family (2 adult and 2 kids) but do have Nexus cards. We don't have the time (12 month timeframe) or ability to get Nexus cards (we live very far from any of the interview location) as we cruise in January. I am freaking out just a little bit right now!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    152.1 KB · Views: 28
So, I saw on planDisney that Canadian travelers going to the Caribbean (closed loop, leaving from PC) need a passport AND a Nexus card? Is this true? I have valid passports for everyone in my family (2 adult and 2 kids) but do have Nexus cards. We don't have the time (12 month timeframe) or ability to get Nexus cards (we live very far from any of the interview location) as we cruise in January. I am freaking out just a little bit right now!
I can't imagine why you would need a NEXUS card to travel to Florida for your cruise. It's not required to enter the US, the Caribbean (obviously), or Canada.

(I'm not sure that you can upload your passport information 75 days before sailing, either. You enter it when you check in, which is ~30ish days before sailing, depending on Castaway Club level.)

No you do not need a nexus card. And I wouldn’t actually rely on only having a nexus card vs passport. While officially you can use nexus instead of a passport acceptance can vary depending on the customs officer or cruiseline/airline official.

Looking at the wording I suspect that the ‘person’ answering this plandisney question is probably actually an AI bot which has taken the information on the actual DCL website and gotten it a bit mixed up. On the official DCL website Nexus is listed as an option but not a requirement.

This is about as bad of information as when I was told I needed an ESTA to transit the USA and an ETA to arrive in Canada. I was traveling on a Canadian passport.

Only time Nexus is a requirement is if you are using the Nexus lanes.

No you do not need a nexus card. And I wouldn’t actually rely on only having a nexus card vs passport. While officially you can use nexus instead of a passport acceptance can vary depending on the customs officer or cruiseline/airline official.

Looking at the wording I suspect that the ‘person’ answering this plandisney question is probably actually an AI bot which has taken the information on the actual DCL website and gotten it a bit mixed up. On the official DCL website Nexus is listed as an option but not a requirement.
It's probably not an AI. But, the DCL website is confusing. It simply lists options without saying that they're options.

In this case:

US Citizens (Including Children)

• Original valid US Passport
  • Original valid US Passport Card
  • Original valid Trusted Traveler Card (NEXUS, FAST)
OR

• Original or copy of their state-issued birth certificate AND a physical Government-issued photo ID (digital/mobile state-issued IDs are not acceptable to sail)
    1. Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable
    2. Hospital-issued birth certificates are not acceptable
  • Original Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State AND a physical Government-issued photo ID (digital/mobile state-issued IDs are not acceptable to sail)
  • Original Certificate of Naturalization issued by US Citizenship and Immigration Services AND a physical Government-issued photo ID (digital/mobile state-issued IDs are not acceptable to sail)
Children 15 years of age and younger are required to present one of the documents listed above, but do not need to present a Government-issued photo ID.

Social Security Cards and Global Entry are not acceptable proof of US citizenship for purposes of traveling outside of the US

US Legal Permanent Residents

Guests who are legal permanent residents of the US must present a valid original Permanent Resident Card. Photocopies are not acceptable.

Canadian Citizens (Including Children)

• Original valid Canadian Passport
  • Original valid Trusted Traveler Program (NEXUS, FAST)

Citizens of All Other Countries (Including Children), Except for the Sailings Highlighted Below

• Original valid Passport
So, the US section has a big "OR", but actually, each bullet point in each list is an "OR". You only need one of the listed documents, but the website doesn't say that. The Canadian section doesn't have an "OR" at all. I blame Disney for the confusion.

As others have stated, no you only need a passport. We are from Vancouver and have done 11 Disney cruises and do NOT have Nexus. Most definitely NOT a requirement.

It's probably not an AI. But, the DCL website is confusing. It simply lists options without saying that they're options.

In this case:

So, the US section has a big "OR", but actually, each bullet point in each list is an "OR". You only need one of the listed documents, but the website doesn't say that. The Canadian section doesn't have an "OR" at all. I blame Disney for the confusion.
Which is why I think it is AI because an actual person trying to answer the question would probably be better able to interpret the information on the website and fact check a bit.

Either way though Disney needs to add those ors to their site.

I mean the best place to look for information is the Canadian (or insert nationality here) website. It has everything you need to know. Relying on second hand information (that should be accurate but maybe isn’t) is not the best idea.

It is one or the other, but not both - and Nexus validity will depend on the itinerary (eg: closed loop to/from the US)... So as others have said, one is usually better off with a passport. I have Nexus and there has been a few times when boarding a place where US CBP insisted that all guests show an actual passport when doing secondary inspections of all passengers at boarding. CBSA recommends to always travel with your passport, regardless of your Nexus membership in case you need to prove citizenship (or permanent residence documents).

FWIW, PlanDisney is real people. I guess they might be using AI to answer some questions, but I know for sure they have actual people answering those questions. I do think if you're just looking at the Canada list, it could be interpreted either way (as a "both and" or an "or." Especially if someone isn't familiar with cruising requirements. 🤷‍♀️

I mean the best place to look for information is the Canadian (or insert nationality here) website. It has everything you need to know. Relying on second hand information (that should be accurate but maybe isn’t) is not the best idea.
I know what is needed to travel to Canada, I have travelled internationally before. I was looking for information on what was required to board a Disney cruise. I doubt the government of Canada website has that information.

Which is why I think it is AI because an actual person trying to answer the question would probably be better able to interpret the information on the website and fact check a bit.

Either way though Disney needs to add those ors to their site.
I wouldn’t give the PlanDisney group enough credit to really read and comprehend anything. I have seen them give false information so many times over the years. They are correct more often than they are wrong though. However, they are wrong in this case.

I know what is needed to travel to Canada, I have travelled internationally before. I was looking for information on what was required to board a Disney cruise. I doubt the government of Canada website has that information.

You need the requirement of the place you are visiting. American cruise = American requirements. A cruise (except certain situations like Russia and China) will have the same requirements as any other form of travel to that destination. Global Affairs Canada has a complete list of requirements for Canadians for all countries. USCBP would also have a list for all nationals visiting the USA.

You do not need a Nexus card. On our January 2023 cruise, we entered our Nexus card information to go on the cruise and showed it when we boarded but when we disembarked, customs & immigration officials wanted to see our passports and told us we couldn't use our Nexus cards. That's not true even according to US government websites but I wasn't going to argue with him and you still have to legally carry your passport even when using a Nexus card so we had them handy. We just used our passports in September because of that.

The primary advantage of your NEXUS will be at the airports. The time saved to preclear customs in Toronto can be significant. And I think you can get TSA Precheck at MCO? Sorry it's been a while since I've been there.

As for cruise ports, I believe that Port Everglades is the only place with Global Entry so that would be the only port where NEXUS gains you an advantage.

And I think you can get TSA Precheck at MCO? Sorry it's been a while since I've been there.
Yes, you can. You have to make sure it says TSA Precheck on your boarding pass. We flew Westjet back on Tuesday and although we checked in using our Nexus card numbers it wasn't on our boarding passes so we had to wait for a ticket agent to make that change. And it was definitely worth the time waiting - the regular security line was estimated at 48-58 minutes and we got through the Nexus line in about 10 minutes or less. In September, we flew Air Canada and it automatically had TSA Precheck on the boarding pass after checking online. I'm not sure why it didn't work with Westjet but I have a vague recollection that this happened the last time we flew with them.

I couldn't see the end of the regular line at customs coming back to Pearson because it was so long. Took less than 2 minutes to get through the Nexus lines so it's definitely well worth having. We just applied to renew our cards, which expire mid-next year, because it's now taking a long time to go through the applications. It's the best $50 I've ever spent.

I couldn't see the end of the regular line at customs coming back to Pearson because it was so long. Took less than 2 minutes to get through the Nexus lines so it's definitely well worth having. We just applied to renew our cards, which expire mid-next year, because it's now taking a long time to go through the applications. It's the best $50 I've ever spent.
Definitely worth the money. My NEXUS actually expires Dec next year so I'll be reapplying once I'm done my New Year's cruise.

As for cruise ports, I believe that Port Everglades is the only place with Global Entry so that would be the only port where NEXUS gains you an advantage.
NEXUS holders are allowed to use Global Entry kiosks at certain airports. Are they also allowed to use GE at a cruise terminal? Any NEXUS holders out there know?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter