NEXUS renewal

starvenger

DIS Veteran
So for anyone needed to renew their NEXUS card this year, I just did it for the wife, MIL and kids... and they were approved in 5 business days. So if you need to renew, I'd definitely do it now.

I just did it for DD and me two day ago. With the renewal application, my “old” Nexus card will be valid for another 24 months since they will expire in 6 months plus an extension of 18 months.

Edited:
The expiring Nexus card will get an extension of use for another 18 months if it is renewed before expiration since interviews are not available due to COVID.

Last edited:
'
I just did it for DD and me two day ago. With the renewal application, my Nexus card will be valid for 24 months since they will be expire in 6 months.
Why only 24 mos? I thought they were valid for 5yrs?

I applied for renewal about 18 months ago, got chosen for an interview, and still nothing. We called and were told they're way behind with interviews. I figure we're not going anywhere so no rush.

My wife was approved in two days this week for a renewal. My minor daughter needs an interview probably for the updated picture. We have to schedule it by Jan 31 or the application becomes invalid per their letter. There are zero interview appointments available anywhere.

Our interviews keep getting canceled due to covid closing the offices. My kids need interviews, so unfortunately the process is very slow. We started the renewal process March 2020! Thankfully I got mine just before covid.

'

Why only 24 mos? I thought they were valid for 5yrs?
The old card is still valid for 24 months until the new card arrives. My apology for the confusion! The website says it may take 18 months to process the renewal.

My wife was approved in two days this week for a renewal. My minor daughter needs an interview probably for the updated picture. We have to schedule it by Jan 31 or the application becomes invalid per their letter. There are zero interview appointments available anywhere.
my son was able to renew without updating his photo but it is tough as he is now 20 and he is 9 in his photo, He gets looks all the time!

Any updates on Nexus Renewal? My application is still conditionally approved. Any chances my application will be changed to approved without an interview? With the extension, my card will expire in November 2023. The Canadian locations are still closed, right?

Any updates on Nexus Renewal? My application is still conditionally approved. Any chances my application will be changed to approved without an interview? With the extension, my card will expire in November 2023. The Canadian locations are still closed, right?
I did my renewal a week ago and got fully approved, no interview within 48 hrs. My only question now is will they send me a new card?

There is no rhyme or reason to renewals. Mine took 10 months, my moms took only a few months. No interview was required. They send you a new card with same picture. (So our pics are now 10 years old)

My wife and I were renewed in the spring without interviews. Both our kids required an interview. Cards came in within a few weeks.

Renewed last year. My application and DH’s were approved right way but my kids required interviews and had the conditionally approved status until their appointment. Probably because I added their birth certificates as official travel documents to their profiles. DH went with them at Champlain, NY for their ‘interview’ in June. Literally took 5 minutes. The longest wait was at the CDN desk to wait for my hand-written note saying that I agreed that my husband renewed their Nexus (I couldn’t cross the border because I was getting a surgery the next day). Their status changed to fully approved after the appointment and we received their new card a week later.

AFAIK, it is unlikely to change to approved. My husband and I both applied for renewals in 2019. He got the "no interview needed" approval in a week or something. I got conditionally approved in June 2020, and finally had an interview in April 2022. Thankfully I live near the US border and could keep trying for an open interview time within driving distance.

AFAIK, it is unlikely to change to approved. My husband and I both applied for renewals in 2019. He got the "no interview needed" approval in a week or something. I got conditionally approved in June 2020, and finally had an interview in April 2022. Thankfully I live near the US border and could keep trying for an open interview time within driving distance.
Thanks for sharing your experience! I am planning to book an interview in the US before the extension expires. If I am living in Toronto, Niagara Falls should be the closest office. I can plan a cross-border shopping trip as well. Yet I am still keeping fingers crossed that the Canadian centres reopen before that to save the drive down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter