NIGHTMARE table mates. Request table for 2?

Sorry you had to deal with it! I don't understand how people can act like that. I was raised to be polite...we don't say mean things to people's faces...we may laugh with each other in private after :rolleyes: , where no one will overhear and get their feelings hurt :goodvibes. Anyway DH and I are of the 'live and let live' frame of mind.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Dinner is my favorite part of the day, and it would be a huge disappointment to have it ruined by others.

While this has never happened to me or my family, I had a conversation with a lovely lady in the hot tub one time. She is in a bi-racial marriage, and her children (obviously) were bi-racial. The family they were assigned to sit with were outraged when they showed up at the table. They refused to sit with them and made an uncomfortable scene for her children with some very rude comments about their family. Fortunately they were moved that first night, and the bi-racial family ended up with a table to themselves. They were disappointed that their children weren't able to meet other kids for dinner, but at least their dining wasn't ruined for the rest of the cruise.

I agree with FigmentSpark, read about the other terrible table mate and then post your own. Yes you can request a table for two. We requested a table for four last year when we brought along my brother and sister-in-law. It was good but we were together all day and night (connecting rooms). Meeting others at dinner is fun hearing about their excursion for the day. Try the two or go for table mates. If something seems odd, speak up right away with the head server and get moved. Every server team we have had over the past cruises have been absolutely wonderful. But speak up. Remember, if you're not happy, The Mouse is not happy.

You see every so often someone post here, DCL is great, fantastic, etc at matching table mates, but this seems to happen a lot, proving that theory very wrong.

They just have a computer program with requests for rotations and tables, and party size, Main and Late, and the computer sellects it.

Yes there are many nice cruiers, some, not so nice.

Take the lottery out and make a request to DCL and if they are as bad as this....complain, you paid a lot for the cruise, DCL should sort it out.

If it makes you feel better, you are definitely not the only one with crazy tablemates. Here's an old thread link with some stories:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/craziest-table-mates-you-have-had.3258980/

Go have a laugh and commiserate in spirit. And just know you're not alone.
Wow, the "fake baby" story alone is worth checking out that thread. Not sure if a couple like that would scare me away or I'd just have "fun" with them until they asked for another table. :)

No, you didn't upset me. It's all good. I think you do have someone on block.

Cruiser21: I'm trying to be sensitive and not stir the pot. There are many other things at play here that I'm not sharing. I also thing "blacklisted" is a strong word and I know I definitely don't have the power to do that! :D I'm just letting DCL know what we dealt with and it's up to them what they want to do in the future.
Like I said if complaining to dcl is cathartic then by all means do it. I'm just not sure what you expect them to do about it at this point. You could have just asked for a new table....problem solved.

Seriously? It's not my place to tell DCL what my family and I had to endure with these rude people?!! I guess I like to think of other people and want to save them from the hassle of dealing with them OR having to move tables.

I would tell DCL. If these people are frequent DCL cruisers, I think it's in DCL's interest to know that your experience was far less than magical and why. You held your tongue, but some people wouldn't if spoken to like that. I don't think DCL wants a fight to break out in the MDR's. I'm sure DCL won't stop them from cruising, but, perhaps they'll just simply assign them to a private table next time. It sounds like, given the statements they made to you, they would prefer that anyway.

It sounds like you feared for your safety and that's not cool at all.

We are a family of 6 and have never been sat with anyone else, been on all 4 ships. Is 6 just the minimum number of people to get your own table or have we just been lucky? Even on a full ship during peak season we had no table mates.

Hi All!

My family of 5 recently sailed on the Fantasy and everything was magical EXCEPT going to the MDR at night. We were put with a family that made it no secret they didn't like us. They were also rude to our servers so I think they were just obnoxious, rude people in general. The part that upset me the most is that their behavior was not just reserved for the dining room. If we saw them on deck 11 or anywhere else on the ship they would make comments about us loud enough for us to hear. We considered asking for a table change midweek but we wanted to stay with the servers we had grown to really love and just ignore the rude family. It was awkward to say the very least.

My husband and I are planning an anniversary cruise with our placeholder but I'm honestly scared to have table mates now! Can just 2 people sit at their own table? Our next cruise will probably be on the Wonder.

One last question.. I know this family sails often so I'm considering calling Disney and telling them our experience. This family should NOT have table mates on future cruises. I don't want any other family going through what we did! Would this be a waste of time or can they note this on the family's account??

Thanks in advance for your advice and reading my post. It helped venting about it.

I'm sorry this happened to you. In 19 cruises, I have only had one poor experience with my assigned table, but that was more just uncomfortable rather than a nightmare.

As others have said you can request a private table and if you have second dining, it is likely to be granted. But, perhaps on your next cruise you might be seated with other nice couples and have a really nice time.

We are a family of 6 and have never been sat with anyone else, been on all 4 ships. Is 6 just the minimum number of people to get your own table or have we just been lucky? Even on a full ship during peak season we had no table mates.

Likely it's your family size as number of the tables are 6-tops.

Everytime I've requested a private table I've gotten one even as a party of two. DCL is very accommodating. I did not request a private table on our next cruise. I'll roll the dice and see what happens. I'm prepared to ask to be moved if I don't like our table mates or they don't like us.

If it makes you feel better, you are definitely not the only one with crazy tablemates. Here's an old thread link with some stories:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/craziest-table-mates-you-have-had.3258980/

Go have a laugh and commiserate in spirit. And just know you're not alone.

Oh man that's a classic thread!

OP as you'll see you're not alone. We've had tablemates in the past that have been fine but with some it was like pulling teeth to have a conversation! I'm not a big fan of small talk with strangers anyway so before our last cruise my DD and I asked for our own table (we always have second seating). Called to reserve two months prior to cruise, then went to designated restaurant on embarkation day to confirm our own table, and it was granted.

you can request.. just know it might not be granted. Out of the 2 times we requested it was granted. we have done 10 cruises and have pretty good track records on 8 we have had table mates outside of 2. we have always traveled as a party of 4 or party 3.
1. Alone by request (party of 4)
2. Placed with a similar family dynamic (still facebook friends)
3. Placed with 2 families with kids of same ages (FB acquaintances)
4. Alone (party of 4) but not by request
5. Placed with a family with kids of similar ages
6. placed with a family, who saw us and demanded another table, they wanted to be alone, so we had a 8 top with rotating family of the night - Terrible experience
7. Alone by request (Party of 4)
8. Place with a family with kid same age (Difficult experience for us, just did not get along well and we all tried across both families to get along, but just didn't not work)
9. Place with a family with kid of same age
10. Linked reservations with another family we met on cruise 8.

We've had both very positive and less than positive experiences. But, the most unusual must have been on a Dream cruise a few years ago when, after the first night, we never saw the other family again until debarkation when they were, literally, first in line to get off the boat. We assumed, from the limited conversation we had at the table, that they felt uncomfortable eating with us because of our religious faith because they came out and said they did not associate with "Papists."!

We have cruised several times and always request to have our own table. I really dislike small talk at the best of times (I do it a lot for work purposes, so on vacation I prefer to avoid it) and I prefer to spend the time chatting with my kids about their day, what we are doing the next day, etc. Sorry you had a bad experience! Next time, well worth switching even if it's mid cruise!

We always request a private table for 2. We are introverts who just don't enjoy making small talk with strangers at dinner. Of course, it is never guaranteed. I just show up to dinner the first night and see if our request is granted.

However, last year on the Wonder for some reason I decided to check in the afternoon during the time they do dining changes to make sure our request was granted. For the first time ever, they did not have us sitting at a private table for 2. Thankfully, I was able to get it changed right then and will now be checking when I first board on future cruises.

We've had both very positive and less than positive experiences. But, the most unusual must have been on a Dream cruise a few years ago when, after the first night, we never saw the other family again until debarkation when they were, literally, first in line to get off the boat. We assumed, from the limited conversation we had at the table, that they felt uncomfortable eating with us because of our religious faith because they came out and said they did not associate with "Papists."!

Papists? Were they visiting from the 18th century?

Hi All!

My family of 5 recently sailed on the Fantasy and everything was magical EXCEPT going to the MDR at night. We were put with a family that made it no secret they didn't like us. They were also rude to our servers so I think they were just obnoxious, rude people in general. The part that upset me the most is that their behavior was not just reserved for the dining room. If we saw them on deck 11 or anywhere else on the ship they would make comments about us loud enough for us to hear. We considered asking for a table change midweek but we wanted to stay with the servers we had grown to really love and just ignore the rude family. It was awkward to say the very least.

My husband and I are planning an anniversary cruise with our placeholder but I'm honestly scared to have table mates now! Can just 2 people sit at their own table? Our next cruise will probably be on the Wonder.

One last question.. I know this family sails often so I'm considering calling Disney and telling them our experience. This family should NOT have table mates on future cruises. I don't want any other family going through what we did! Would this be a waste of time or can they note this on the family's account??

Thanks in advance for your advice and reading my post. It helped venting about it.

Wow, so sorry you had to endure that. :(

I would call and flag them to DCL, just in case someone else can avoid having them as tablemates in the future, who knows.

And yes, you can definitely ask to be seated just the two of you. DH and I did and we've had our request granted every time. I think having 2nd seating gives you more chances.

As far as requesting a table for two, you can definitely do that. They will try to accomodate. However, with one exception in 10 cruises, my DH and I have always enjoyed meeting other couples at our table. When traveling as a couple, we've never been seated with a family...usually 2 other couples or a couple and two unrelated singles. Perhaps you could request seating with only couples/adults?

I wouldn't always bet on it, we were on our honeymoon on the Magic and it was noted that it was out honeymoon by our Disney Wedding planners, because we sailed after our Disney wedding and yet we were put at a table with a large family. We didn't care, we had a blast and my husband and I are go with the flow people but just don't bet on it being a table for couples.

Another note, we always take our chances and have never had a bad table yet, we've never put in any requests other than 2nd seating. We are still friends with 1 family we sat with years ago and our kids are penpals AND we have met up in Disney before. It's a lot of fun to meet new people. Last year, we sailed on the Dream and didn't see our tablemates once. We only went in to the main dining room once, but since this was a shorter cruise for us, we wanted to do so many other things and decided to just eat other places throughout the day and it was a blast that way too!

My family also tends to prefer keeping to ourselves when dining - but we're a party of three. How would that work if we request a private table?

On our honeymoon cruise with Princess, we were at a large table with ten people, for which all the small talk and socializing quickly got tiring, to say nothing of being exhausted from the given day's activities. We eventually ended up at the buffet for the rest of the cruise, which was okay, but I've always regretted the menus we missed by doing so...

We were hoping for time to ourselves on that cruise (fun fact, we came back expecting, so SOMETHING went well!), and while not in the same situation as we have our DD8 with us this time, I worry about our ability to enjoy ourselves if seated with an overly outgoing family. I've been assuming that we'd be seated with a family of five due to our number - does that make sense? And if our ability to get a private table is compromised because we can't fill a 4-top, what could our other options be?

Mark

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter