• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Nighttime extra hours?

CrazyDuck

DIS Veteran
Last time I went to WDW back in 1999 they offered a wristband that you could buy for like $25 (if I remember correctly) if you were staying onsite. This allowed you to stay in the park for 2 (or 3) hours after it closed. Just curious if they still offer this or something similar. I'm headed there in less than a week and am looking for any edge to beat the massive crowds...

Last time I went to WDW back in 1999 they offered a wristband that you could buy for like $25 (if I remember correctly) if you were staying onsite. This allowed you to stay in the park for 2 (or 3) hours after it closed. Just curious if they still offer this or something similar.

I'm headed there in less than a week and am looking for any edge to beat the massive crowds...

Evening Extra Magic Hours (PM EMH) run for 2 hours after regular park closing time.

Depending on which park (and how late the EMH begins) the EMH may or may not offer an advantage against heavy park crowds.
In fact, there are many times when the PM EMH can draw extra guests to that particular park, so the EMH
can contribute to over-crowding.

Generally, the later (after 11PM-12Midnight) the PM EMH begins, the fewer guests will be in the park.

Last time I went to WDW back in 1999 they offered a wristband that you could buy for like $25 (if I remember correctly) if you were staying onsite. This allowed you to stay in the park for 2 (or 3) hours after it closed. Just curious if they still offer this or something similar. I'm headed there in less than a week and am looking for any edge to beat the massive crowds...

I remember those. It was $10 with a 5000 person limit, I believe. Just at MK.
It was the best!! EMPTY park. We loved it.

They were first (briefly) called "E-Ticket Nights."
Then, they finally became "E-Ride Nights."

Yes, at MK only.
Prices rose to about $12 as time went on.

You are thinking of E-nights, CD, ran from '97 to '04. They were great, sorely missed. Small crowds (limited attendance), lots of fun. They were replaced with the 2 hour evening emh nights in '05, generally a crowd magnet with no limits on crowds, value is questionable.

This sheds light on your memories.

http://www.mouseplanet.com/mike/eride_nights.htm

It was the best!! EMPTY park. We loved it.
You can say that again, Nancy!! Always fun nights. I recall so many E-nights with lots of folks from the boards here, great memories. :cloud9:

And a Merry Christmas, Nancy, to you and all your family.

I'm headed there in less than a week and am looking for any edge to beat the massive crowds...

Sorry to ask, but it looks like you were not up to speed with EMH, so may I ask if you've caught up with the whole Fastpass+ thing ?

If you're looking for ways to beat the crowds, and if you've not booked your FP+ yet, it's probably a good time to hurry :)

This WAS E-Ride Nights:):

001-3.jpg

003-2.jpg

004-3.jpg

006-3.jpg

There was also some type of morning EMH in the 90s as well if I recall. I don't remember the specifics though. Not sure if it was EMH or it became EMH later.

Yeah, E-Ticket Nights were nice, they sold a limited number of them and all rides were pretty much walk-ons. Even then they had Early Entry, one park, one hour early opening for WDW resort guests. As I Recall Jan. 2, 2005 was the first EMH featuring MGM, as it was called then, staying open late. We attended as it was our first park day on that trip and the last night for the Osborne extravaganza which we found to be underwhelming.

Bill From PA

Yea, E-Ride night... That was the best time I ever had in any Disney park. I remember riding Splash then getting to the end where they unload you and seeing that there was no one in line we asked and were allowed to ride it again. Best 2 hours of the whole trip! Sad that they did away with this in exchange for EMH (especially if EMH is offered to everyone). I'm just assuming that EMH is now a crowd draw? Do the parks get busier during EMH?

Sorry to ask, but it looks like you were not up to speed with EMH, so may I ask if you've caught up with the whole Fastpass+ thing ?

If you're looking for ways to beat the crowds, and if you've not booked your FP+ yet, it's probably a good time to hurry :)

Yea I got my FP+'s... As a DLR vet, can't say I'm too happy about this new system... How am I supposed to know which park I want to go on which days 2 months out, or where I'm going to eat 6 months out? We are not big planners, more fly by the seat of our pants kinda people. :crazy2:

Yea, E-Ride night... That was the best time I ever had in any Disney park. I remember riding Splash then getting to the end where they unload you and seeing that there was no one in line we asked and were allowed to ride it again. Best 2 hours of the whole trip! Sad that they did away with this in exchange for EMH (especially if EMH is offered to everyone). I'm just assuming that EMH is now a crowd draw? Do the parks get busier during EMH?

Depending on which park (and how late the EMH begins) the EMH may or may not offer an advantage against heavy park crowds.
In fact, there are many times when the PM EMH can draw extra guests to that particular park, so the EMH
can contribute to over-crowding.

Generally, the later (after 11PM-12Midnight) the PM EMH begins, the fewer guests will be in the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter