Nik Wallenda doing it again.

carrie1626

DIS Veteran
Tight rope walking across the Grand Canyon.

LIVE TV.

There is something so incredible wrong with this. JMO!

I had never heard of him before this and don't plan to watch, but I read an article today that said what he does makes his children cry. They're young. Of course they are going to be scared to lose their daddy. So sad.

His great-grandfather Karl crossed a wire over Tallulah Gorge in Georgia, just a few miles down the road from where I live, in 1970. My mom remembers all the media coverage and crowds that went to watch. You can still see remains of the towers that the cable was anchored to at the state park, and a section of the park museum covers the event.

Nik is the sixth or seventh generation of circus performers, so the urge to take great risks runs deep in the family!

Three days ago 3 base jumpers broke into Trump towers in Chicago and parachuted off the roof.

They will be arrested and charged. They did nothing to draw attention to themselves beforehand.
Of course asking pernmission to do such a thing is a responsible thing to do.....just saying. NO was the probable answer.

I can't wrap my head around someone who "wants" to do something extreme (talented, experienced, what-ever) and there is a need for a live audience.
I won't watch, because I don't want to see him die.
Of course, I hope he succeeds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I saw him interviewed on the Today show the other day and Al Roker (sp?) asked if there was going to be a delay on the live TV just in case. :faint:

Yup there is going to be a 10 second delay. I still think he's crazy.

He says he won't be wearing a tether. Of course, he said that before his walk over Niagara Falls. At the last minute, the network said they wouldn't televise the walk unless he wore one because it would be too traumatizing for the viewers. I wonder if the same thing will happen here.

I won't be watching. I watched his grandfather fall to his death on live television. I don't want to take the chance of watching someone die real time.

Good luck to him.

He's not actually crossing what people consider The Grand Canyon. He is crossing at a place called the Little Colorado River Gorge. Though, still plenty dangerous.

He says he won't be wearing a tether. Of course, he said that before his walk over Niagara Falls. At the last minute, the network said they wouldn't televise the walk unless he wore one because it would be too traumatizing for the viewers. I wonder if the same thing will happen here.

I won't be watching. I watched his grandfather fall to his death on live television. I don't want to take the chance of watching someone die real time.

Good luck to him.

Yep, i totally expect there to be some last minute reason for him to wear a tether.

I saw an ad about this earlier and I don't get the fascination. At some point, a fall from a height is going to lead to death - a fall from an even higher height isn't going to make you "more" dead. So, walking at a height no one has done before isn't really any riskier than than the risk the person who did it at a slightly lower height (but still a height where a fall meant death) took.

I saw an ad about this earlier and I don't get the fascination. At some point, a fall from a height is going to lead to death - a fall from an even higher height isn't going to make you "more" dead. So, walking at a height no one has done before isn't really any riskier than than the risk the person who did it at a slightly lower height (but still a height where a fall meant death) took.

I totally agree. After all, several of his relatives died in a fall from a high wire in a circus. Above a certain point, a fall is almost always going to be fatal.

Of course, I doubt many people would tune in to watch him walk across a wire two stories up. In the end, it is pretty much about the money.

Good luck to him.

Me, too. It makes me way too anxious to watch this kind of thing, so I don't. Too many Wallendas have fallen to their deaths for me to be able to sit and watch. It's not exciting or adventurous; it's stupid and selfish. Imagine how his poor KIDS must feel about this!

Originally Posted by crashbb View Post

I find it sad that nobody would watch if the guy wasn't risking death. I won't be watching.

Good luck to him.

He was forced to wear the tether. I live about 20 minutes from Niagara Falls and this was a big story around here when he crossed. There were so many legality issues and concerns and 2 local governments in 2 countries had to give him permission. He would not be granted permission unless he wore the tether. He was adamant about not wearing it because it makes it harder for him to balance. This went back and forth and back in forth for weeks. He finally relented and wore the tether so he could perform the stunt.

I won't watch simply because I'm assuming it will be like the Evil Kenevil stunts from the 70's.

This is what I assume will be: A LOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGG drawn out televised event where the action won't start until the last few minutes of the show. Way too many talking heads filling time.

I won't watch simply because I'm assuming it will be like the Evil Kenevil stunts from the 70's.

This is what I assume will be: A LOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGG drawn out televised event where the action won't start until the last few minutes of the show. Way too many talking heads filling time.

Well that's not restricted to stunt shows. Just look at the Superbowl. 10 hours of pregame, one hour of actual game that takes 3-4 hours to play. I think the last stunt I watched was EK trying to jump the Snake River Canyon and not even coming close to making it. The ramp and equipment looked like Wyle E Coyote bought it from ACME.

Good luck to him.

I completely agree. I've seen the video of his grandfather's fall and it still haunts me to this day. I don't even want to think about it.

Assuming he's successful, it will be replayed and replayed and replayed (ad nauseum) on the Internet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter