• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No ADR's am I crazy?

dizzyr

DIS Veteran
I'll be in WDW for four days in May (16-20) with my daughter (20). Usually one of my favourite parts of a trip is the trip planning and on my last two trips I had so much fun planning each day and getting the perfect ADR. I don't know why but I just can't seem to get into planning mode for this trip and it's in less than a month! I think part of me just wants to relax and go with the flow because it's been a crazy busy couple of months. My daughter is super easy going and prefers to blindly follow along so she's happy with anything I plan.

I just tried to make an ADR for 50's Diner and they didn't have any available times for lunch or dinner while we are there unless we want to eat after 8:30. I haven't checked other options yet but I'm wondering if I completely dropped the ball and if I'm too late to get anything good which leads me to wonder 1. Am I crazy to go with no ADR's and 2. What's the chance of walk up options?

I personally couldn’t do that, as I do really enjoy the planning of any trips, especially restaurants, and being that spur of the moment isn’t foe me. However, you’re not crazy - there are many ways to enjoy WDW. I have no doubt that you’ll be able to enjoy some good meals with our without ADRs

I wouldn't worry too much if you can not get the ADRs you would have liked. In the past I also spent a lot of time coming up with the perfect schedule/perfect restaurant choice but on our last trip I only booked a couple of meals and we went for quick service the rest of the time. We did choose the "nicer" quick service places (i.e. not just burgers etc.) and it was quite nice. We really didn't miss having table-service meals most days.

We'll be there May 17th-23rd and the only thing I've booked is dinner at Boma. The rest? We'll take it as it comes. This is more of a laid-back vacation and less of a Parks vacation, and we're not really sure what we'll do. I kind-of like the idea of just eating from whatever is available "in the moment."

We booked an impromptu May trip a week or so ago. Everything under the sun was available or has come available. The only ones that I haven't come across at all are Space 220, CRT, and Topolino's breakfast. Literally anything else has been there at some point. Storybook, B&C, 'Ohana, Sci-Fi, Roundup Rodeo, CM

Last May I cancelled almost all, if not all, of my ADRs and switched to something else because so much came available at the last minute. We could have had anything we wanted.

All that to say, you aren't crazy and I suspect you'll get about anything you want the closer it gets or via walk-up.

What's the chance of walk up options?

Depends on the venue—I would say not good for Prime Time Diner, but you’d have no problem in Epcot at, say, the China pavilion.

Himself and I have done trips without ADR’s, and it worked out pretty slick if you’re not picky and don’t want table service. For example, different restaurants have “street food” kiosks. The Yak and Yeti has one next to the restaurant, Morimoto’s has their Street Food kiosk, the Biergarten has a kiosk, and I believe the Brown Derby has bar food at their outside lounge (we had charcuterie there once).

Also, don’t forget that the Flower and Garden Festival will be in full bloom during your stay, with all their kiosks as well. Depending on if you have park hoppers, you could hop on over to Epcot for that.

That said, check out the morning of, as people are canceling all the time. Good luck!

I’ve done it both ways (ADRs daily, booked well in advance or via me stalking the reservations and modifying over and over until I get what I want) and also winging it based on what’s available the night before/ day-of or no ADR at all. I don’t think either way is wrong.

I completely get it- as much as I love to pre-plan for any vacation sometimes I just really don’t want to. For a 4 day trip for 2, I think it’s a perfect time to see where the day takes you if that’s what you feel like doing.

If you are set on Prime Time, I wouldn’t give up yet. My number one tip is to check for availability for a party of 4 instead of 2. The ADR system really doesn’t like parties of 2 for whatever reason. Also, check regularly or sign up for a reservation finder. As a poster above noted, ADRs can be canceled 2 hours prior, so available tables definitely open up. It may also be worth stopping by earlier than you’d like to eat and ask what the wait is for walk-ups.

Worst case scenario, you don’t get a Prime Time ADR and you’d have to select somewhere else to eat. On trips where I have zero or few ADRs and I start to panic about that I remind myself we are not going to starve. Sometimes this has turned out to be the best thing, because more than once my “no ADR” trips have forced me to try something I might not have otherwise.

We'll be there May 17th-23rd and the only thing I've booked is dinner at Boma. The rest? We'll take it as it comes. This is more of a laid-back vacation and less of a Parks vacation, and we're not really sure what we'll do. I kind-of like the idea of just eating from whatever is available "in the moment."
That's kind of how we feel on this trip too. We are going on a cruise after Disney and I have that pretty much all planned out. Since it's just my daughter and I we can be a lot more flexible than when it's the whole family (my youngest is studying to be a chef and my husband gets cranky if he doesn't eat on a schedule) so I was thinking we would just eat our way through the parks whenever we felt like it!

Depends on the venue—I would say not good for Prime Time Diner, but you’d have no problem in Epcot at, say, the China pavilion.

Himself and I have done trips without ADR’s, and it worked out pretty slick if you’re not picky and don’t want table service. For example, different restaurants have “street food” kiosks. The Yak and Yeti has one next to the restaurant, Morimoto’s has their Street Food kiosk, the Biergarten has a kiosk, and I believe the Brown Derby has bar food at their outside lounge (we had charcuterie there once).

Also, don’t forget that the Flower and Garden Festival will be in full bloom during your stay, with all their kiosks as well. Depending on if you have park hoppers, you could hop on over to Epcot for that.

That said, check out the morning of, as people are canceling all the time. Good luck!

Ooooh I like the idea of kiosks at Epcot. We did get park hoppers for the first time and were planning on ending most nights at Epcot so this could work out perfectly.

I’ve done it both ways (ADRs daily, booked well in advance or via me stalking the reservations and modifying over and over until I get what I want) and also winging it based on what’s available the night before/ day-of or no ADR at all. I don’t think either way is wrong.

I completely get it- as much as I love to pre-plan for any vacation sometimes I just really don’t want to. For a 4 day trip for 2, I think it’s a perfect time to see where the day takes you if that’s what you feel like doing.

If you are set on Prime Time, I wouldn’t give up yet. My number one tip is to check for availability for a party of 4 instead of 2. The ADR system really doesn’t like parties of 2 for whatever reason. Also, check regularly or sign up for a reservation finder. As a poster above noted, ADRs can be canceled 2 hours prior, so available tables definitely open up. It may also be worth stopping by earlier than you’d like to eat and ask what the wait is for walk-ups.

Worst case scenario, you don’t get a Prime Time ADR and you’d have to select somewhere else to eat. On trips where I have zero or few ADRs and I start to panic about that I remind myself we are not going to starve. Sometimes this has turned out to be the best thing, because more than once my “no ADR” trips have forced me to try something I might not have otherwise.
I just looked with 4 and you are right there are more options. Will anyone care if I show up with 2 instead of 4?

For the most part I no longer make reservations ahead of time as it is too difficult to get what we want as we don't book trips very far out. I have always been able to get most everything we wanted the day before. This includes: Space220, Ohana, Sci-Fi, California Grill, Storybook Dining etc. As long as you are diligent about checking the day before you will usually find what you need.

We went the week of Easter without any reservations and picked up Topolino's, Beaches & Cream, Storybook, California Grill, and Citricos. Everything you could possibly want was available at some point and time.

Ooooh I like the idea of kiosks at Epcot. We did get park hoppers for the first time and were planning on ending most nights at Epcot so this could work out perfectly.
Those are a fabulous way to eat.

Better than any meal, imo, because you can pick precisely what you want--and go for another if you wish--minus sides that don't appeal as much. (FWF France's escargot croissant--oh, YEAH)
I just looked with 4 and you are right there are more options. Will anyone care if I show up with 2 instead of 4?

Nope, because oftentimes 2 are seated at a 4-top. That frequently happens to us.

We never book ADRS in advance, have never had an problem finding somewhere day of. It's not always the must do places but we have eaten at places we wouldn't have tried otherwise. We don't like eating at the same place, like to try new places and can't stand being tied down to a schedule.

I was there last week and 80% of my lunch/supper meals came from F&G booths, I always have hoppers (and back to an AP as of Thurs) so hopping into Epcot is no problem. The only QS I ate was breakfast every morning (MK sucks for breakfast) and one day mobile ordered lunch at BW Deli while on the bus. I did walk up wait list for Nomad Lounge and HBD Lounge. I can't remember the times but neither was at "normal" eating times. I think Nomad was around 5 pm and HBD probably close to that, both were after I had gone back to the room and rested then hopped into those parks. I did make a same day ADR for Rosa's Mexican at the Dolphin one night, I was staying there so it made sense. Has to be made on Open Table. Every other meal came from F&G booths.

You aren't crazy and your chances, as a party of 2, of getting same day walk-ups (or even day-of ADRs) is very good. Just this year we've gotten same day Topolino's breakfast, San Angel Inn, Beaches and Cream, Trattoria al Forno, etc. I've also seen day-of Rodeo Roundup. If you don't have any must-do's, can be a little flexible and don't mind just grabbing QS if need be, you will have no problem finding places to eat.

Thanks everyone I feel better about sticking with my “go with the flow” trip plan now and I’m not going to book any ADR’s :)

I usually book a few ADRs, but by no means for the whole trip. I think you’ll be okay. You’re visiting at a somewhat “slow” time as well. And there are tons of counter-service spots that are great alternatives. Relax and enjoy!

That's kind of how we feel on this trip too. We are going on a cruise after Disney and I have that pretty much all planned out. Since it's just my daughter and I we can be a lot more flexible than when it's the whole family (my youngest is studying to be a chef and my husband gets cranky if he doesn't eat on a schedule) so I was thinking we would just eat our way through the parks whenever we felt like it!

I've actually booked party of four tables and then went in later and modified it to a lower number. When you do that it will show the same reservation time you booked originally.

We booked an impromptu May trip a week or so ago. Everything under the sun was available or has come available. The only ones that I haven't come across at all are Space 220, CRT, and Topolino's breakfast. Literally anything else has been there at some point. Storybook, B&C, 'Ohana, Sci-Fi, Roundup Rodeo, CM

Last May I cancelled almost all, if not all, of my ADRs and switched to something else because so much came available at the last minute. We could have had anything we wanted.

All that to say, you aren't crazy and I suspect you'll get about anything you want the closer it gets or via walk-up.
We picked up the character breakfast at Toppolinos a few days before ... we have found with the new ADR cancellation window that picking things up several days before or same day are a little easier these days .. I like to plan ahead and lock-in to keep the fuss minimal - but for the things you really want to do or try - it can work out.

Don’t worry. We are in WDW right now and made no reservations, because of my daughter’s uncertain cheer competition schedule. And there is an absolute ton of availability for spur-of-the-moment ADRs. Too many to list, but you can go on the app and take a look.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter