No availability at Hollywood Studios

mlayman7

Mouseketeer
Was curious if anyone had any insight as to why January 3rd and January 4th would have no park reservation availability. I understand this is one of the busiest weeks but the entire week of Christmas is open still and I thought that week would be busier than two days after the new year.

And now the 5th as well, why is it just Hollywood studios is my question, and it is so far in advance especially with new years eve, new years and Christmas still wide open.

I am interested in this info as well! I had to rush to get a DHS reservation yesterday for the 5th and 5 minutes later it was booked up. I wonder why only Studios and why not Christmas/New Years?

I’m curious about this as well. We were just planning a trip for the first week of the year and was shocked to be warned that park availability was limited. Marathon seems like an odd explanation because it’s the Sunday to Thursday prior to the marathon. I could see closer to that weekend, but why earlier in the week and multiple days when not even holidays have this problem yet?

And now the 5th as well, why is it just Hollywood studios is my question, and it is so far in advance especially with new years eve, new years and Christmas still wide open.

Marathon Weekend starts the 5th. It's Expo day so you only arrive and go to expo to get your number etc. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that group, mostly adults, would book Disney Hollywood Studios to do Galaxy Edge, and add RnR and ToT. You literally drive out of the Expo across the street to entrance of DHS.

Racing starts the 6th.

There are a lot of Florida schools that still don't have school those days and they are not blacked out (at least for those on current silver passes)

There are a lot of Florida schools that still don't have school those days and they are not blacked out (at least for those on current silver passes)
Noticeably, the park pass availability issue only applies to Hotel and Daily Ticket guests. Annual passes have availability, so locals currently have no issue, assuming they want to waste a slot for three months from now.

One theory my family has is based on prices for hotels and tickets, the days between New Years and marathon weekend are considered off-season, so Disney is actually pre-setting capacity based on expected attendance and will only adjust it when it’s clear the extra staffing will be worth it (and is available). I have a hard time believing these days would have MORE attendance than the days before or after, but it could make sense that the specific way the calendar works this year means this gap between busy times will have more than “expected”.

I’m planning a trip for the first week in January 2022 and noticed that hollywood studios park reservations are showing as sold out for Jan 2-6. This seems very unusual since it’s only Oct now and it’s not sold out for any other days between now and then Any idea if something is happening that week in that park that would cause higher crowds? Thanks!

I’m planning a trip for the first week in January 2022 and noticed that hollywood studios park reservations are showing as sold out for Jan 2-6. This seems very unusual since it’s only Oct now and it’s not sold out for any other days between now and then Any idea if something is happening that week in that park that would cause higher crowds? Thanks!
Your question has been merged with a thread from yesterday covering the same questions. Please read responses above for some helpful information.

It makes sense some of the resort hotels (the All Star resorts) have had no availability for that first week.

My thought is that the Marathon weekend is earlier in January this year. I am thinking that many of the people participating in the marathon events are coming for New Years and staying over through the marathon weekend. My wife and I were talking about this the other day and think that Disney World probably should have spaced out marathon weekend another week after new years.

It makes sense some of the resort hotels (the All Star resorts) have had no availability for that first week.

My thought is that the Marathon weekend is earlier in January this year. I am thinking that many of the people participating in the marathon events are coming for New Years and staying over through the marathon weekend. My wife and I were talking about this the other day and think that Disney World probably should have spaced out marathon weekend another week after new years.
Its the same weekend it always is.

Dang, you are right. For whatever reason it felt like we ran later in January 2020. Guess since it has been almost 2 years.
It does vary a tiny bit just based on how the dates fall each year. 2018 was even closer to New Years than 2022 will be.

I was making a hotel reservation for Jan 3-4. I looked at park availability before booking and it showed Hollywood as unavailable. We have gold passes and it shows I could book Hollywood Studios under my annual pass ticket, but I wasn't sure if it would be available to book under the hotel reservation.
After I completed booking our resort stay it showed I could choose Hollywood Studios with my resort reservation (so it won't count against my 5 regular park day reservations I can hold).

I was under the impression it didn't matter what kind of ticket you had when you booked a resort stay (annual pass or regular ticket) if you were reserving though the resort option. Can regular tickets book Hollywood Studios if they're staying at a resort those days? Just making it regular tickets staying off property who are blacked out?

I just posted on the Park Reservation sticky a question regarding the ability to park hop to DHS on 1/5 (staying in PO Riverside 1/4-1/7). I too don't understand why 1/2 through 1/6 would be blocked out for ressies only for DHS - Yet, Thanksgiving week and Christmas week are still available for all parks. The marathon being that week doesn't seem like an answer, unless everyone participating in the marathon will be going to DHS only all 5 days - Any info greatly appreciated!

We are going to Disney the first week of January and just noticed that there are no park reservations that entire week for Hollywood Studios? Any idea what's going on that week?

We are there that week as well and were surprised to see DHS unavailable all week. I bought tickets and reserved our parks a couple of weeks ago, so this is a fairly recent development. Marathon weekend begins on Thursday or Friday, which is the only explanation I can think of. It just seems weird that DHS is the only one full - and every day.

Deleted. I had posted a link in another thread to this thread. I guess that thread subsequently got merged into this one.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter