NO CASTAWAY CAY FOR US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, right, I forgot to say we got “compensation” fastpasses for rides we were not interested, since they limit those as well.
I can agree that it totally sucks to be in line waiting for a ride and it suddenly goes down but when using a FP+ we have always got a FP+ for the same ride. We have also got them when in standby but not always. Sometimes things don't go as planned but we never let it ruin our vacation. I hope things go better for you next time.

And the wind on the surface does not necessarily correlate to the currents.

Totally. What it feels like on the deck has absolutely nothing to do with what it’s like under the water.

Just like how at Disneyland what it feels like standing there waiting for fireworks has absolutely nothing to do with what is happening above the tree level. At Disneyland you can watch the tallest trees to see how much they are moving, and any clouds in the sky, to judge if fireworks are going to happen (or continue). On a cruise you have to trust that the captains know what they are doing. The cruise staff want to get you on that island more than any family wants to get on that island.

It is funny that some answers here are so biased.

it’s not bias, it’s knowledge.

I like Universal more than Disney and Royal more than Disney, so I’m hardly biased or an apologist, and still I know that you weren’t ripped off.

That is a crazy design! When we went on an RC cruise 10 years ago, different island of course, they anchored our ship away from the island and ferried us over. I think even that's changed to an actual dock, but seems like it'd make more sense to have a backup option like that as opposed to not being able to go at all. But...what do I know, I'm just a traveler...lol

And Royal missed Coco Cay quite often. Tendering is miserable in rough water. Same on cayman.

Oh, right, I forgot to say we got “compensation” fastpasses for rides we were not interested, since they limit those as well.

missing the new rides should have given you a pass for the new rides. Missing the other rides would have righteously gotten you a more limited FP. Man, they tried to compensate you and you were not interested???

I realize DCL can't control the weather but they can control the cruise director joking about missing CC.

Eh, I’d love to hear from someone else who was there to find out what was said before I decide that the CD was actually joking about it

Disappointment - I get it. Anger - not so much.

Agreed.

Someone has mentioned Universal Studios: yes, we went there for one day and there were no “technical difficulties”, they seem to be doing a better job in the maintainance of their theme parks.

So you didn’t try to ride their new ride, eh? That’s down a LOT, and seems to close by 3 every day. RRR has had some issues.

You had good luck at Uni, and bad luck at WDW that you felt couldn't be assuaged by their compensating you. And everyone on the ship, including the captain and the vendors on shore, had bad luck with castaway. But you weren’t ripped off.

Now I am the terribly bitter guy going on a rant against the good folks at disney...😭 if was a disney hater I probably wouldnt be at disney resort right now after many disney vacations over the years, right? Its not only about the CC and DCL situation. I have noticed in my last 3 trips to the theme parks, two to florida and one to california, that even with a lot of planning it is getting harder everytime to have a nice day in a disney park. The rides breaking down and the crowds getting worst (even when you try to avoid peak season or holidays) makes a terrible combination. Hollywood Studios is total nightmare, for example. I am a fan and I will probably be back(not to a cruise) but I think the forum is not meant to be a place used only for embelishment of all things disney. Someone has mentioned Universal Studios: yes, we went there for one day and there were no “technical difficulties”, they seem to be doing a better job in the maintainance of their theme parks. The only problem is that I simply do not like it as much as I like the disney parks. Shame on me...
It's not WHAT you say, it's HOW you say it and the way you seem to handle things. Everyone here can agree it sucks to miss CC, and to have your favourite rides being down doesn't help. Vacations cost a lot of money and we need them to re-energize ourselves for our daily lives. So when things you have been looking forward to go differently and not in the best way, it is totally a crappy situation.

Of course you can be angry and frustrated, we have all had those moments. But that you let it ruin your vacation, that's what is what probably rubs people the wrong way. Like in movies, people want to hear/see stories of people who had some hard times, but we want to see how they deal with it. No one likes a person who rants that everything is awful and just go sit around and mope. I do not know you and I cannot say that you are a 'terribly bitter guy', but you sound like one.

We all know that Disney isn't perfect, but we do know that most of the time, they do try their best to make it better. And by how you sound, no matter what Disney had done, you wouldn't have been happy with it. For missing CC are reasons, mostly safety reasons. People aren't necessarily defending Disney in this thread, they are explaining how things works.

The Cruise Directors remarks, yes I can get that it is his job to keep the mood positive, but in situations like this it is a tricky job what you can and what you cannot say. Some people will take offense, some won't. Let Disney know that you thought his remarks weren't helping the situation.

Last year I let things which were totally out of my control (delayed/cancelled flights, bad weather, rides down) affect my mood. I wish I had been more relaxed.
At the moment for today I have been rebooked three times as there is a big storm over Western Europe and I am on a weekend break. I had come here with the promise of sunny weather a week ago :( I hope I will get the evening flight, but will try the afternoon flight (I was originally on a morning flight). My morning was stressful with crappy hotel wifi and not being able to shower as there is a problem with the hot water. But all I can do is sit and hope the weather clears up. Worrying or getting frustrated will not improve anything. Trying to make the best of it is usually the only way to get through it.

(And hey, it could be worse my manager decided two weeks ago to still go to an area near Wuhan on family busines, when he finally was able to get home, he was quarantined ;) that also sucks )

So you missed a port, the “best” port, yep, that sucks

but instead of seeing the upside, that you got to enjoy time on a gorgeous ship with all the food & drinks that you and the family desired, looked after by amazing cast members who no doubt were working double as hard to keep guests upbeat - not a bad “worst case outcome hey”

Yet - instead of having gratitude for what was still amazing you opted to indulge in self pity

same with the attractions being down - was EVERY attraction down? No, was there an opportunity to ride EVERY (non refurb) attraction over a 3-4 day window, yes

Sounds to me like you should be disappointed or “angry” at yourself for indulging in childish pity rather than focusing on gratitude and the upside

Totally. What it feels like on the deck has absolutely nothing to do with what it’s like under the water.

Just like how at Disneyland what it feels like standing there waiting for fireworks has absolutely nothing to do with what is happening above the tree level. At Disneyland you can watch the tallest trees to see how much they are moving, and any clouds in the sky, to judge if fireworks are going to happen (or continue). On a cruise you have to trust that the captains know what they are doing. The cruise staff want to get you on that island more than any family wants to get on that island.

it’s not bias, it’s knowledge.

I like Universal more than Disney and Royal more than Disney, so I’m hardly biased or an apologist, and still I know that you weren’t ripped off.

And Royal missed Coco Cay quite often. Tendering is miserable in rough water. Same on cayman.

missing the new rides should have given you a pass for the new rides. Missing the other rides would have righteously gotten you a more limited FP. Man, they tried to compensate you and you were not interested???

Eh, I’d love to hear from someone else who was there to find out what was said before I decide that the CD was actually joking about it

Agreed.

So you didn’t try to ride their new ride, eh? That’s down a LOT, and seems to close by 3 every day. RRR has had some issues.

You had good luck at Uni, and bad luck at WDW that you felt couldn't be assuaged by their compensating you. And everyone on the ship, including the captain and the vendors on shore, had bad luck with castaway. But you weren’t ripped off.
Sure, its all on me and my horrible bad luck. Disney has let us down more than 10 times in 10 days and its probably my fault. Haha... And you say you are not biased?

So sorry all this happened to you. We also had that happen to us on a Disney cruise so certainly share your disappointment. However we cannot control any of it - only thing we can control is how we deal with it! Start planning a new cruise for another time of the year and my guess is lightning will not strike strike twice for you so you can have a wonderful day on the island. Best wishes.

Holy moly.. OP sorry your trip was ruined I really hope you found a way to try and make it enjoyable even with the ride closers and missing CC. Many here are being sympathetic to your situation with a few voicing concerns over your attitude. Now I don't want to see a pattern but it seems your can't seperate the good from the bad and move along.

Even the people helping you are not being mean just stating how it's normal for these things to happen yet your being hostile. Did you come here for a fight? I hope not. If you came to a forum to get sympathy from everyone who reads your OP than I'm sorry that's not how forums work.

Have you called Disney? Expressed distaste from your trip? Did you talk to any managers while at the park? Gotta help yourself if your in these situations. Did you want FOP fast passes for missing RR? They give fastpasses that work for the ride type you had issues with. I just don't get it.

Wow you are an absolute ray of sunshine. By now you should have had time to calm down instead you are throwing endless insults on anyone that doesnt agree with you. Attitude is everything and thats what ruined your vacation. Nothing else. I surely hope you have no children and if so my heart truly goes out to them havig to live with someone as negative and rude as you.
100% - could not agree more!

@mpsiq, read your original post and felt bad that you had missed out on CC and some of the rides you had planned. However, in rereading it along with your responses, it seems that the only reason for your post was to either have everyone pity you and tell you just how bad they felt or just to cause a stir.

Moderator - maybe it’s time to close this one down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter