No character "test" during Tink 5K and 10K.

rteetz

DIS Veteran
So it's being reported that there were no characters out today for the 5K and will be none for tomorrow's 10K. RunDisney is calling this a test to help people finish the races rather than get swept while in character lines. People are not apply of course and neither would I be. When you sign up for these races you expect characters on the courses.

If people get swept and don't get handed a medal, they complain. If people don't get swept but get no pictures, they complain. It's a no win situation for rD. Personally, I hope they land on pictures but no medals if you get swept, thereby allowing you to make your own choice & set your own priorities.

If people get swept and don't get handed a medal, they complain. If people don't get swept but get no pictures, they complain. It's a no win situation for rD. Personally, I hope they land on pictures but no medals if you get swept, thereby allowing you to make your own choice & set your own priorities.
Exactly.

You should know going in that if you stop for every character and don't keep the pace you have the risk of being swept. I'm not going to continue to pay these prices if this continues. I pay for the experience which includes characters and running through the parks.

I just saw this on Facebook. I am a complete newby to Disney racing, but isn't that kind of part of the reason people pay ridiculous amounts for a Disney race? Or is it the medal? I'm conflicted because I signed up for the Princess weekend this year assuming there would be characters on the course. Then I was thinking and realized - I know I personally will not likely stand in a long line for a character picture anyway, so I'm not sure it totally matters to me? I guess I just think they make the race kind of magical. I mean it was nearly $400.00 for the races, not including hotel or airfare, and if I just want a cool medal I'll run local races.

I'm one of the "mean" people who think you just need to know the time limit and budget your time. If you aren't fast enough to stop at all the characters, then you just don't get to stop at them all. Or like others have said - have more character stops. It really would be a shame if they got rid of them.

For those who have done Disney races in the past - if they did get rid of characters - what would keep you doing the races? I'm just curious to see what people feel the benefits are. Thanks!

Exactly.

You should know going in that if you stop for every character and don't keep the pace you have the risk of being swept. I'm not going to continue to pay these prices if this continues. I pay for the experience which includes characters and running through the parks.
I completely agree. I know my pace well enough that I can enjoy character stops for the 5k and 10K, however, I will always run for the half because I don't want to risk being swept. I thought everyone knew to do this?

I just saw this on Facebook. I am a complete newby to Disney racing, but isn't that kind of part of the reason people pay ridiculous amounts for a Disney race? Or is it the medal? I'm conflicted because I signed up for the Princess weekend this year assuming there would be characters on the course. Then I was thinking and realized - I know I personally will not likely stand in a long line for a character picture anyway, so I'm not sure it totally matters to me? I guess I just think they make the race kind of magical. I mean it was nearly $400.00 for the races, not including hotel or airfare, and if I just want a cool medal I'll run local races.

I'm one of the "mean" people who think you just need to know the time limit and budget your time. If you aren't fast enough to stop at all the characters, then you just don't get to stop at them all. Or like others have said - have more character stops. It really would be a shame if they got rid of them.

For those who have done Disney races in the past - if they did get rid of characters - what would keep you doing the races? I'm just curious to see what people feel the benefits are. Thanks!
Disney advertises in their race descriptions that there will be characters and on course entertainment. I'd be all over runDisney for this. Come January if this is the new norm I will be complaining for sure.

What they really need(IMO) is more character stops and it would also be very helpful if they told us who and where the character stops were going to be. The first one won't happen but there's no reason to not do the second. It would allow people to plan more of which ones they really want.

And I like the Disney races for the atmosphere and the fact there at Disney. But the character stops are a definite bonus that I didn't ever think wouldn't be there. I've really come to enjoy them.

I can see why it's controversial. When I have tried to explain what you get for runDisney races in comparison to the cost I always mention the experience because I can do a race and get a t-shirt and a medal for $40-$50 at home. I'm there because I want the experience and the characters are a huge part of that.

That being said, I can see where the lines for characters and subsequent sweepings may cause problems for those who don't want to be swept. Very few people can stop at most or all of the character stops because the line backs up for later corrals and on top of that the later corrals are more at risk of being swept. I do feel it is your responsibility to know your race and Disney should not be required to give you a medal or allow you to stay on the course but I think even that mentality is applied more to the 10k and half. The 5k is a race run by families and to push people along on a 'fun run' through an area that doesn't really require road closures seems kind of crazy.

With regards to the decision to test this on Tink in particular I don't believe it would have made it much of a different (edit: last years) experience because the only stops during the 5k were the generic pirates from the opening skit and The Lost Boys. I only recall two during the 10k as well. It was something I found disappointing last year that I assumed was just part of DL races. Hopefully they at least make an effort to have character pics at the finish so the people who were blindsided by this change get some photos.

Last edited:

I think I would have to think long and hard about it if they did take that away, and that is coming from a person who doesn't stop for characters on course. To me it adds to the experience and the atmosphere of the whole thing, it creates a fun vibe and excitement out on the course even if you don't stop for them. Would I say 100% that I would be done with runDisney? probably not at this time but I would have to really think about it. I love Disney, I run there because I want an excuse for a vacation in my happy place! The reason it bothers me that they are thinking about this is more of the pay more but get less thing and downsizing with no real good (in my eyes) reason for it. We pay a lot for these, part of the appeal is the characters. We all know what pace we have to follow, the freakouts over the poor balloon ladies every race proves that most everyone is aware of the limits, and it is a personal choice to decide to take the chance or not. I think it is just a strange and backwards way to try and help people not get swept, if that even is the actual reason for this. I am very curious on how this will go down, and I hope they decide against going forward with this in future races. I feel bad for those that are being experimented on this weekend and were blindsided by it.

I for one would be less likely. I still think that the races are a great experience and love running through the parks but I've done races in both WDW and DL and I'll treasure those experiences but they are kind of a been there done that. The characters and on course entertainment add to the atmosphere. I generally don't even stop to get pictures with the characters but I LOVE seeing them out. I think I would really only consider doing runDisney if it was something I was doing with friends or it fit into a vacation and even then it would probably require a price drop.

What they really need(IMO) is more character stops and it would also be very helpful if they told us who and where the character stops were going to be. The first one won't happen but there's no reason to not do the second. It would allow people to plan more of which ones they really want.

And I like the Disney races for the atmosphere and the fact there at Disney. But the character stops are a definite bonus that I didn't ever think wouldn't be there. I've really come to enjoy them.
Agreed. This makes me believe this is just a lame excuse for disney to cut entertainment.

I can see why it's controversial. When I have tried to explain what you get for runDisney races in comparison to the cost I always mention the experience because I can do a race and get a t-shirt and a medal for $40-$50 at home. I'm there because I want the experience and the characters are a huge part of that.

That being said, I can see where the lines for characters and subsequent sweepings may cause problems for those who don't want to be swept. Very few people can stop at most or all of the character stops because the line backs up for later corrals and on top of that the later corrals are more at risk of being swept. I do feel it is your responsibility to know your race and Disney should not be required to give you a medal or allow you to stay on the course but I think even that mentality is applied more to the 10k and half. The 5k is a race run by families and to push people along on a 'fun run' through an area that doesn't really require road closures seems kind of crazy.

With regards to the decision to test this on Tink in particular I don't believe it would have made it much of a different experience because the only stops during the 5k were the generic pirates from the opening skit and The Lost Boys. I only recall two during the 10k as well. It was something I found disappointing last year that I assumed was just part of DL races. Hopefully they at least make an effort to have character pics at the finish so the people who were blindsided by this change get some photos.
Disney advertises characters and on course entertainment on the website. Take that away and you are not getting what you paid for. People pay $80+ for the experience not just to run.

So true.

I have literally stopped for one character at a Disney race and I regretted it (the pirates at princess this year) because they weren't fun and it killed any chance of me being remotely happy with my overinjured (and therefore) undertrained time.

So character stops aren't what do it for me. But I like seeing them as I go by. Seeing them is fun for me. How annoying to not have them out there.

I've got princess and I'm thinking of next year's Tink just to get the pink ribbon. And then I really want to be done with rundisney. Not sure what I'll replace it with, since rock and roll has peeved me now.

I'm sorry, but if you think you may get swept, either train more or don't stop for pictures.

Plain and simple, I paid $85 for this race (after fees) and feel ripped off. And it's a slap in the face after Star Wars had so many characters during AND before AND after the races, and today we get random pirates and a selfie with Hook and Smee.

They even cut back on the mile marker set-ups - I remember last year thinking they were crazy elaborate. This year they were noticeably smaller.

If you are going to promote a race in this way:

The Never Land 5K Highlights

• 5K course through the Disneyland® Resort
  • Disney Characters and Entertainment on-course
  • Race within walking distance when you stay at a Disneyland® Resort Hotel
  • Event transportation included when you stay at select Anaheim Area Hotels

Then you need to deliver on that commitment.

I'm sorry, but if you think you may get swept, either train more or don't stop for pictures.

Plain and simple, I paid $85 for this race (after fees) and feel ripped off. And it's a slap in the face after Star Wars had so many characters during AND before AND after the races, and today we get random pirates and a selfie with Hook and Pan.

They even cut back on the mile marker set-ups - I remember last year thinking they were crazy elaborate. This year they were noticeably smaller.
I thought about that too. Darkside was a big improvement this year, then you have this crap.

Plain and simple, I paid $85 for this race (after fees) and feel ripped off. And it's a slap in the face after Star Wars had so many characters during AND before AND after the races, and today we get random pirates and a selfie with Hook and Smee.

Be as loud as the supposed people who got swept and complained loud enough.

But it's all just money reasons. I doubt the complainers Disney is blaming exist. There just aren't enough of them to make that big of a change.

If you are going to promote a race in this way:

The Never Land 5K Highlights

• 5K course through the Disneyland® Resort
  • Disney Characters and Entertainment on-course
  • Race within walking distance when you stay at a Disneyland® Resort Hotel
  • Event transportation included when you stay at select Anaheim Area Hotels

Then you need to deliver on that commitment.

I just took screenshots of the pages for next year's princess. :) If my cousin (a character and picture lover) doesn't get photo stops after paying THAT much for the challenge, she's going to be peeved and I'm getting the evidence for her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter