No Elsa on Disney Dream Cruise

greatyhope

Earning My Ears
I was on the Disney Dream Cruise last week.
Elsa never made the cruise. I guess they can't just have anyone dress up and be Elsa.
I ask them where she was and they told me "she still in Arendelle" haha

I was on the Disney Dream Cruise last week.
Elsa never made the cruise. I guess they can't just have anyone dress up and be Elsa.
I ask them where she was and they told me "she still in Arendelle" haha
Yes, on occasion, the various characters have to miss the ship due to necessary business at home. Not just Elsa.

I wonder how this is different than the theme parks? I've read about how CMs often don't know who they're going to be playing that day until they show up.. Unless Elsa has a certain set of skills that are rare? Does every Elsa need to be a belter for "Let It Go"? :D

Mark

I wonder how this is different than the theme parks? I've read about how CMs often don't know who they're going to be playing that day until they show up.. Unless Elsa has a certain set of skills that are rare? Does every Elsa need to be a belter for "Let It Go"? :D

Mark
It has to do with body type and look. You can't use the same person for Elsa that can do Snow White, for example.

On cruises, it's far more likely that a Face character can only do one (or, at most) two faces, but can then also do Fur Suits. It's why there are so many more fur characters in general, but especially on a cruise - you need a body size and general ability to play a fur, not a "look" type. Only so much can be done with a wig.

We were on the Dream last week too. We were disappointed that the "Frozen Gathering" only had Anna. So much for a gathering. LOL.
Never saw Olof either. I really wanted to see him.

Last edited:
Wonder if Mickey ever missed a cruise.
Outlook: Doubtful.

I am pretty sure of CMs who are fully trained and able, they have the most who can fill the Mickey/Minnie costumes. They don't even have t gender match, they just have to be the right size and be able to learn the signature and the key moves while wearing a giant head.

Outlook: Doubtful.

I am pretty sure of CMs who are fully trained and able, they have the most who can fill the Mickey/Minnie costumes. They don't even have t gender match, they just have to be the right size and be able to learn the signature and the key moves while wearing a giant head.
Costumes?

Beyond that, they look for specific height and build for the furs.

A few examples pulled from current audition calendars for the various parks:

• Disney Character Performers/Star Wars Characters: 5'10" - 6'3" with a slender, athletic build. Performers should be willing to demonstrate high energy levels, a full range of motion with their bodies, and basic coordination to music. These roles require wearing large body costumes, heads, and feet, and exposure to hot and humid weather.
  • Disney Character Performers appear before thousands of guests each day in meet-and-greets across the Disneyland® Resort. We are seeking individuals with heights 5' 6"- 5' 8" who are outgoing, energetic and enthusiastic.
  • We are seeking individuals with heights 4' 7 1/2"- 5' 1/2 " who are outgoing, energetic and enthusiastic. Basic improv skills a plus!
  • FEMALES: 4'8.5" - 5'0.5”, 5'1" - 5'3", 5'5" - 5'7"

MALES: 5'5" - 5'8" with a youthful look; 5'11" - 6'4"

NOTE: HEIGHT RANGES STRICTLY ADHERED TO. CANDIDATES WILL BE MEASURED.
The ranges when applied to face characters is for consistency, but when applied to fur characters is also about the fit of the "large body costumes, heads and feet." They don't flex across a 12" range for fit. FWIW, that last one is for DCL specifically, and the full audition reads like they may double into entertainment at times.

I once spent an afternoon (waiting in line to get tickets to Wicked about 14 years ago!) with 2 young women who played Mickey at WDW. They were sisters, both tiny, less than 5’, and said there are lots of restrictions and movement they have to learn. It’s likely harder on a ship since if anyone isn’t able to “perform” they’ll need fill in for each other.

It has to do with body type and look. You can't use the same person for Elsa that can do Snow White, for example.

This. Plus on land they have a larger “stable” (for lack of a better word) of friends for the characters. On the ship they are likely to have one per face character. If that person is sick and quarantined or - since it seems like Elsa has extended business in Arandelle - there is no one in a particular cast who can be friends with her, she will be away on business for the whole contract of that entertainment team. (Because they have to play multiple roles, they are not going to bring someone in exclusively to be friends with Elsa.

Maybe this is a good thread to ask this question. On all the navigators I see the same set of princesses, Cinderella, Belle, Ariel, Rapunzel and Tiana. Any idea why classic princesses Show White and Aurora don't get cast for the cruise lines?

Maybe this is a good thread to ask this question. On all the navigators I see the same set of princesses, Cinderella, Belle, Ariel, Rapunzel and Tiana. Any idea why classic princesses Show White and Aurora don't get cast for the cruise lines?

Most likely popularity - or lack thereof. Aurora isn’t really huge in my experience, and they would rather cast for the more “popular” (and recent) ones. (It has been a while since Sleeping Beauty has been out for sale I believe.) Also, Snow would be a little harder to cast for multiple roles as she is a VERY specific look which is not easily done with make-up) while the other princesses (save Tiana, just being realistic) would be much easier to use for other roles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter