No exemption to mask policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel so bad for the father and can completely sympathize with him.
I am going to vent a little bit on my daughter's experience in our local community.
I have a grown disabled daughter with the same issues, the mask makes her throw up and she has trouble breathing. I did get her a Doctors note to use in our Town, not Disney. Walmart, Safeway and Ross were all understanding and let her in the stores no problem. it was customers that took it upon themselves to make rude comments. I purchased her the plastic guard to take off the negative attention she was getting. We went into a local market that we have been going to for 20 plus years my daughter had the plastic guard on her face, as soon as we walked in the door the cashier screamed at her get out of the store you don't have mask on. It made my daughter cry and she was embarrassed. I asked for a manager and showed him her Doctors note he said she cannot come in without a mask and how does he even know her Doctors note is real. I could not believe it, as I drove home I was posiive they violated some type of ADA law. After several phone calls the Mayors office, Cooperate office of the store, Governors office and attorney I was told private business can make there own rules when it come to this. Iam sure Disney is well within there right to do this it is wrong but what can you do. We will not be going to Disney or anywhere for that matter anytime soon till all restrictions are lifted it is just to stressful . As far as the local market they lost a good customer and I tell anyone that cares not to shop there. Thank you for listening Aloha

First of all, I'm sorry your daughter has such struggles and that she had to endure that scenario.

I have to wonder, thoigh, as a regular to that store, did you not know the mask policy when you brought your daughter there? Since you had already procured a doctor's note, I imagine you had already been put in this position elsewhere, so why wouldn't you maybe call the store before bringing your daughter there to ask if an exception could be made? They likely would have told you "no" and then your daughter would not have had to go through that.

Since April, we have had a mask mandate in public places in our city. Absolutely NO exceptions, for anyone. Stores are working with customers who cannot wear masks by offering alternate shopping arrangements (they will have an employee shop for you and bring it to the car, offer a delivery service sometimes, or something similar).

You need to understand that even ONE person in a store without a mask poses a risk to everyone. It is not about things being "fair" for people like your daughter, but a public safety issue. It sounds like you live in Hawaii, and I expect that rules are more strict there due to being an island with perhaps limited health care options. Since it sounds like your daughter has you to help her, she doesn't necessarily need to be out at stores right now. You can shop for her.

I would also CONTINUE supporting a store that you have been loyal to for 20 years that basically just proved how much they value their customers and are putting their health and safety first. Maybe the employee you encountered could use a bit more customer service training, and that is worth exploring with management, but at the end of the day, they did the right thing.

My opinion on the dad isn't very Disney-like, so I won't state it. My son is autistic with SPD. We probably spent well over $100 on various masks to find ones he would wear. It's something we have been working on for MONTHS. The REWARD was a Disney trip. Even when we finally found ones he would wear, I ordered from the same person and we had to deal with a stitch being out of place, or the nose form not being exactly the same length as the other one, or the fabric was "different". It's a struggle, but really not that much of a struggle as any other "different" thing.

But we knew that unless he found some he would wear, Disney was a no go. He did amazingly well. He was more obsessed/ upset with the fact we rented a car and didn't take the buses.

Yeah I'm sure a guy who ran off to the blaze with his video doesn't have an agenda. Ambulance chaser.

I have asthma. I wear a mask. 9 hours a day. Why? Because I work with the public, all day. Have during this entire thing. Been working public facing since April. No work from home for us.

My mask says "human" on it, because a good proportion of people who interact with service sector employees like CMs do not view them as humans. Maybe a drug store employee has been dealing with mask truthers all day breathing recirculated air during a pandemic because her store won't do HVAC work, and half the customers refuse to wear a mask. We are like objects that dispense services, and are the ones risking getting sick every day.

I am not a martyr, and I won't let my co-workers and staff be martyrs on the alter on someone being uncomfortable for half an hour. If you don't wear a mask you aren't coming in the building. We have curbside service. That's your accommodation.

The solution as seen by evidence in more developed, serious societies like Japan, Taiwan and South Korea (which have autistic people) is mask wearing, common courtesy, personal and public hygiene, and following rules that you might find slightly inconvenient for the greater good. And then............you can be back to normal! Reminder that with masks etc Japan never closed bars, restaurants, stores or public transit.

or we can all act like.....this and drag this entire thing out longer than neccasary and get more elderly and poor people killed and seriously ill.

First of all, I'm sorry your daughter has such struggles and that she had to endure that scenario.

I have to wonder, thoigh, as a regular to that store, did you not know the mask policy when you brought your daughter there? Since you had already procured a doctor's note, I imagine you had already been put in this position elsewhere, so why wouldn't you maybe call the store before bringing your daughter there to ask if an exception could be made? They likely would have told you "no" and then your daughter would not have had to go through that.

Since April, we have had a mask mandate in public places in our city. Absolutely NO exceptions, for anyone. Stores are working with customers who cannot wear masks by offering alternate shopping arrangements (they will have an employee shop for you and bring it to the car, offer a delivery service sometimes, or something similar).

You need to understand that even ONE person in a store without a mask poses a risk to everyone. It is not about things being "fair" for people like your daughter, but a public safety issue. It sounds like you live in Hawaii, and I expect that rules are more strict there due to being an island with perhaps limited health care options. Since it sounds like your daughter has you to help her, she doesn't necessarily need to be out at stores right now. You can shop for her.

I would also CONTINUE supporting a store that you have been loyal to for 20 years that basically just proved how much they value their customers and are putting their health and safety first. Maybe the employee you encountered could use a bit more customer service training, and that is worth exploring with management, but at the end of the day, they did the right thing.
Honestly I thought the plastic shield was fine that she had on, even the Mayor when implementing the mask rule had said there was exceptions for medical issues. Bottom line it is up to the store to decide. I had no idea at the time now I do.

Reading posts of parents with autistic children -

Bless you. And bless them and your entire family. Reading this thread I am overwhelmed by your focus and patience to try to facilitate a successful time for all involved. Day in, day out. And I know that it must be a continual difficult balance if you have other children as well.

You are their parent, they are your children - I get it. But regardless I sit in awe of all of you.

As for the father, this is a time of sacrifice for many of us. I do believe he felt that he could talk his way into the parks. I can't believe how often the individual trumps the masses. And yes the chances are slim but Disney needs to protect their employees the best they know how - it is early in this virus as far as insight, best to err on the side of the safest policies as possible.

Last edited:

Some seem to be missing that stores can refuse you entry without a mask, even if you have a real reason for not wearing one. As long as they offer you a reasonable alternative--and many stores do. Many stores offer an order on line, and pick it up in the parking lot option. Or even have whatever you are after delivered to your house.

All of this makes me very glad for my governor. Potty mouth and all. 😆 I love the mask mandate.

Some seem to be missing that stores can refuse you entry without a mask, even if you have a real reason for not wearing one. As long as they offer you a reasonable alternative--and many stores do. Many stores offer an order on line, and pick it up in the parking lot option. Or even have whatever you are after delivered to your house.

All of this makes me very glad for my governor. Potty mouth and all. 😆 I love the mask mandate.

Yep around here, the stores all have signs mandating the mask - and stating if you cannot wear the mask they would be happy to help with curbside pickup or a delivery order. But ya ain't gettin into the store.

When I went to the grocery store today with my mask on they had a recording on repeatedly stating that instead of the usual music. There was also signage and everyone was wearing their mask properly. It's not the cheapest or closest grocery store but I am going there now because I feel it's safer than some of the other places. I don't think a lot of places realize that some customers are switching to stores they feel are safer options and that enforcing the law can actually lead to new customers.

My state, CT, just issued an EO requiring people to have a doctor's note as proof they have a medical exemption from the mask mandate as the Governor felt people were taking advantage of the loophole.

this may actually be an ADA violation as it specifically prohibits requiring proof. This is also protected information per SCOTUS rulings and the 4th Amendment. While your employer may ask if you are requesting an accommodation, you are not required to provide it. Though refusing to do so my get your accommodation request denied.
See link about service animals.

https://adata.org/guide/americans-disabilities-act-questions-and-answers

My state, CT, just issued an EO requiring people to have a doctor's note as proof they have a medical exemption from the mask mandate as the Governor felt people were taking advantage of the loophole.

this may actually be an ADA violation as it specifically prohibits requiring proof. This is also protected information per SCOTUS rulings and the 4th Amendment. While your employer may ask if you are requesting an accommodation, you are not required to provide it. Though refusing to do so my get your accommodation request denied.

I feel so bad for the father and can completely sympathize with him.
I am going to vent a little bit on my daughter's experience in our local community.
I have a grown disabled daughter with the same issues, the mask makes her throw up and she has trouble breathing. I did get her a Doctors note to use in our Town, not Disney. Walmart, Safeway and Ross were all understanding and let her in the stores no problem. it was customers that took it upon themselves to make rude comments. I purchased her the plastic guard to take off the negative attention she was getting. We went into a local market that we have been going to for 20 plus years my daughter had the plastic guard on her face, as soon as we walked in the door the cashier screamed at her get out of the store you don't have mask on. It made my daughter cry and she was embarrassed. I asked for a manager and showed him her Doctors note he said she cannot come in without a mask and how does he even know her Doctors note is real. I could not believe it, as I drove home I was posiive they violated some type of ADA law. After several phone calls the Mayors office, Cooperate office of the store, Governors office and attorney I was told private business can make there own rules when it come to this. Iam sure Disney is well within there right to do this it is wrong but what can you do. We will not be going to Disney or anywhere for that matter anytime soon till all restrictions are lifted it is just to stressful . As far as the local market they lost a good customer and I tell anyone that cares not to shop there. Thank you for listening Aloha
So sorry to hear about this. I would check your state and local laws on public accommodation discrimination. In many states it’s illegal to deny service to someone based on a disability. There is even case law here in WA where a major chain lost a court case for refusing to allow a woman with a service animal to do her own shopping. You may have a case under those laws as they may not have a public safety exception.

Then how do handicap plates, free access into national parks, etc get away with asking for proof? There are exceptions to the rules, you know.

My son and I went in July, a few days after WDW reopened. My son has downs' syndrome. We discussed the masks before hand, he did well and tolerated them better than I did. :)

I am a teacher who can't wait to see students again. Unfortunately we've already had a parent try to bypass the mask mandate with a phony exemption card. Luckily our administration is all over this.

Then how do handicap plates, free access into national parks, etc get away with asking for proof? There are exceptions to the rules, you know.

The proof is documentation of a disability, but not the name of any condition. For plates, for example, the physician needs to verify that the applicant has a condition that meets the requirements of the relevant jurisdiction.

So sorry to hear about this. I would check your state and local laws on public accommodation discrimination. In many states it’s illegal to deny service to someone based on a disability. There is even case law here in WA where a major chain lost a court case for refusing to allow a woman with a service animal to do her own shopping. You may have a case under those laws as they may not have a public safety exception.

What you seem to be ignoring is that the ADA doesn’t require a business to provide an accommodation that poses a threat to others.

I’ll ask again - what accommodation do you recommend that Disney provide for those who say they can’t wear a mask due to disability, other than allowing them to not wear a mask?

What you seem to be ignoring is that the ADA doesn’t require a business to provide an accommodation that poses a threat to others.

I’ll ask again - what accommodation do you recommend that Disney provide for those who say they can’t wear a mask due to disability, other than allowing them to not wear a mask?
You are correct in that. But how do you prove an unmasked person poses a threat to others when they are not sick and not presenting symptoms? Force them to test for covid? Can a private company do that legally? I don’t believe so. And if you cannot explicitly prove that they are a danger to others than the public safety exception does not apply. So, again, Disney may be in violation of the ADA.

Under Florida law, Disney is in violation. There is no public safety exemption in it. I linked it in another post.

Nor do I trust the tests. Too many oddities reported.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/06/fault...-as-goat-and-fruit-test-positive-in-tanzania/

Last edited:
You are correct in that. But how do you prove an unmasked person poses a threat to others when they are not sick and not presenting symptoms? Force them to test for covid? Can a private company do that legally? I don’t believe so. And if you cannot explicitly prove that they are a danger to others than the public safety exception does not apply. So, again, Disney may be in violation of the ADA.

Under Florida law, Disney is in violation. There is no public safety exemption in it. I linked it in another post.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/06/fault...-as-goat-and-fruit-test-positive-in-tanzania/

No, Disney is not in violation of Florida law.

And Disney, like many, many other businesses, is basing the direct threat Of people not wearing masks on CDC guidance.

You may not trust science, which is certainly your right. But you have no right to expect the rest of the world to distrust it with you.

remember the "big"cats at the new york zoo that ended up getting covid from workers plus I have read about some house pets also getting with owners. plus a lot of people end up with no symptoms. how do you tell someone with no symptoms and has from someone who doesnt have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter