No gaiters only a mask with loops or ties

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone is still undecided I’d suggest trying out the different types before you commit because different people might prefer different masks. DH already had cooling gaiters, we bought reusable and disposables as well. We were at Universal last Sunday and it was HOT. I found that I preferred the paper mask while DH went with his cooling gaiter.

I never tried a gaitor, but it seems it would be hot around the neck? Just curious. I have a few masks that are good for me, comfortable.

We used our gators for two full days at a local park. (Hershey). Much more comfortable than our regular masks and stayed on with no problems. Even on a few extreme coasters. You can also wet them to cool down a bit. I really don't understand why Disney would not allow them. To me they stay on more securely than anything. (Probably just another reason I'm glad we cancelled our August trip).

I do now see ones that are SPF and "cooling" material.
Yes, that's what my son said too. I had to make my own masks to accomodate my TMJD, so I can't wear gaiters (or most other masks other than my DIY one, for that matter) but maybe DS23 can find some gaiters that have the ears slits/loops. He said he doesn't want to cut into the material of the one he has now.

Last edited:

Tim Tracker was wearing a gaiter to the Universal Parks and he was having trouble with them not staying up (which may be why Disney is not fond of them). He cut earholes in it, and said it not only kept the mask up, but also was much cooler with the ears exposed.
I don't watch TT anymore but I asked about this when I was there this past weekend they said without ear loops they fall off (it was pretty dead) I'm sure they had have trained over this.

I am still experimenting with masks. The disposable ones tend to annoy me because they come too close to my eyes and there is a "gap" on the sides, they aren't flush against my face. So I did the hack to them where it makes them fit more like an N95 mask, and that works well, no more gap, not as close to my eyes, and it doesn't touch my nose or lips. My upper lip still sweats like crazy, but it's better than before.

The gaiters I just ordered are 30 spf, lightweight, breathable and lifetime guarantee.
They arrive Friday, we'll see

They have ones that have pockets for the filters. I would hope people are using those types since the other ones are only marketed to helping keep cool and UV protection.

Right. This is not a normal summer, people. Yes things will get hot with a mask. Yes, maybe a gaiter is cooler. Under normal circumstances, cooler is better but we're still in the middle of a pandemic. Wear a proper bleeping mask! Your comfort is secondary. It's only for a few months. You'll be fine.

Tim Tracker did a mask test on rides and found that the gaiter didn't stay up at times, especially on coasters. I am sure Disney is seeing the same issue.

Edit: I didn't read through the whole thread so I missed that this was mentioned. Sorry for the repost.

Can I just make a distinction here. The blue disposable ones with the ear loops are NOT surgical masks. The are used for minor medical procedures. The true surgical masks are much thicker and have ties at the head and neck. I have been given one when I entered a clinic to have a major biopsy and they are very hard to breathe in. Don't know how surgeons can not get lightheaded in them.

So I did the hack to them where it makes them fit more like an N95 mask, and that works well, no more gap, not as close to my eyes, and it doesn't touch my nose or lips. My upper lip still sweats like crazy, but it's better than before.

Please tell me more about how to do this hack.

Please tell me more about how to do this hack.

Answering my own post 😀,I found this on YouTube and it makes the disposable surgical mask fit like my favorite cotton mask pattern!

I love it. I’ve been happy with my home made cotton masks (I made 6 patterns before adapting one to be my favorite) so I don’t have much experience with the disposable masks.

Tim Tracker did a mask test on rides and found that the gaiter didn't stay up at times, especially on coasters. I am sure Disney is seeing the same issue.

Edit: I didn't read through the whole thread so I missed that this was mentioned. Sorry for the repost.

It was also said that Tim was not wearing the gaiter properly.

The thing I find funny from walking around Disney springs I don't think I saw 1 person wearing a gaiter with it under their nose. For regular face masks no matter where you looked you could at least spot 1 nose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter