No Hurricanes Please- A Redemption Trip- November 2018 PTR-Updated 11/17/18 New TR Links

Hey there - joining in after you stopped by our TR. That's a great set of ADRs. We don't like doing that much TS anymore, but that's just us. And especially going for Food and Wine, we simply don't even eat TS then! (Our weekend planned in October we are there for 5 days and only have one ADR, though we are going to try two more dining experiences. F&W have these wonderful special dining events. There's a list of them at this link:
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2018-epcot-food-and-wine-festival-special-events/

We did the French Farm lunch in November last year and it was absolutely wonderful. (Check out our TR for Nov 2017 linked in my signature.) Sure expensive, but OMG the amount of alcohol that was consumed covered the cost! Next year we are going to probably try the Italian Wine lunch and I think I've convince DW to do the Mexican Tequila lunch. Of course none of these are available with the DDP, but we don't do that either.

BTW, WE love,love,love Sanaa! Maybe my favorite at WDW. Not everything there is "out there", but there really is some wonderful Indian inspired dishes. And don't miss out on the Naan bread service.

Thanks for stopping by! I understand. I anticipate some ADRs may fall off the list before the trip is over, especially due to F&W. Thank you for the link on the special events! I've always been curious about those!

Oh, we won't miss the Naan. My husband brought home Indian food last night and a huge pile of fresh Naan. He loves it!

Glad you figured out why you couldn't do all your ADRs and got it fixed!

Looks like a good set.

Yes! So glad that's done! We're getting closer, friend!

Sorry, Marrakesh.

Well, I'm putting my disclaimer to good use. I did it. I changed the ADRS. I mean, I've had them made 5 days. That's long enough, don't you think? I still can't find a House of Blues, boo.

So, I've been reading trip reports, and I've seen good reviews of Chefs de France lately. Now, we went there on our Honeymoon (I think), and we had a terrible experience with the staff. The food was fine, but I've been thinking about giving it another chance. So, I booked it for 11/6/18 at 12:00. Now, wait a minute. What was cut?

Sorry, Marrakesh. I know, I've canceled that poor restaurant so many times. Will it ever get its chance? Probably not. Oh, well, to Chefs we go!

*Edit*

So, I just found out on the Resorts forum that AKL's main pool is being closed for refurb starting in September and will most likely still be closed in November. I am so disappointed.

tianasad.gif

One of the reasons AKL is so beautiful, in my opinion, is because of the pool area. I think the pool at Kidani will be open so it's not a total loss, but I was looking forward to sitting out at Uzima at night and enjoying the pool. We do have a rest day built in for resort lounging and swimming. I know it's not a huge deal, but it does take away some of the appeal to me, especially since I really wanted to stay at WL. I did look on the website to see if there were other options for resorts, but there really isn't. Hopefully, we'll still have the savannah!

Last edited:
Oof - that is too bad about the pool. The Kidani pool is very nice also, but it is much smaller, and if everyone is going over to Kidani for the pool, it's going to be rather crowded. I love Uzima because it is so large and there is so much space it never seems crowded. I guess I would never try to change resorts because of something like this, as overall the resort is so nice, but it would be a little disappointing.

(You also sent me into a panic since we are at AKV at the end of August, DD picked that resort particularly because she wanted to bring her friend to a resort with a nice pool. But it appears the refurb is starting September 1st and going for several months. Maybe you will get lucky and the refurb will be done by then. More than 2 months is a LONG time for a pool refurb, must be some issues in there.)

Oof - that is too bad about the pool. The Kidani pool is very nice also, but it is much smaller, and if everyone is going over to Kidani for the pool, it's going to be rather crowded. I love Uzima because it is so large and there is so much space it never seems crowded. I guess I would never try to change resorts because of something like this, as overall the resort is so nice, but it would be a little disappointing.

(You also sent me into a panic since we are at AKV at the end of August, DD picked that resort particularly because she wanted to bring her friend to a resort with a nice pool. But it appears the refurb is starting September 1st and going for several months. Maybe you will get lucky and the refurb will be done by then. More than 2 months is a LONG time for a pool refurb, must be some issues in there.)

Yes, it's quite a lovely space, especially at night. It's so relaxing out there. I'm glad the refurb won't interrupt your vacation time!

Hopefully it will be open by November! Fingers crossed!

I hope so! Remind me where you're staying in November.

I hope so! Remind me where you're staying in November.
3 Nights AKV - Jambo House Standard View, 7 Nights BWV - Boardwalk View

The pool closing isn’t a huge deal for us as it’s at the beginning portion which is focused on the runs. If I need to loosen muscles - I’ll go to the steam room as it’s really nice there!

3 Nights AKV - Jambo House Standard View, 7 Nights BWV - Boardwalk View

The pool closing isn’t a huge deal for us as it’s at the beginning portion which is focused on the runs. If I need to loosen muscles - I’ll go to the steam room as it’s really nice there!

That's exciting! I've never been to the steam room, but that's neat.

Preparing for Snacks: Milkshake Edition

In the past, we've always been limited by our snack choices because we wanted to use our credits on the dining plan. Now that we don't have that restriction, I'm starting to see a whole new light on snacks. The choices are endless!

Since my diet is very pro-liquid, milkshakes are one of the treats I can have. I do have to limit my sugar intake as I'm diabetic, too, but I'm pretty controlled and try to keep my numbers low. I'm a little more lax on vacation but still cautious.

So, I asked the boards for a census on favorite milkshakes. The common responses were

50s-prime-time-cafe-peanut-butter-and-jelly-milkshake.jpg
Peanut butter and jelly shake from 50's PrimeTime Café (pic courtesy of google). I've had this before, and I loved it. I like that I can go into the lounge and get one to go even though we do have an ADR there. I've also had the pumpkin spice shake from there, which was fabulous. I haven't tried much that was made from pumpkin that I didn't like EXCEPT my cousin's raw pumpkin pie that I was forced to eat and smile and pumpkin spice triscuits. They were weird.

Whispering Canyon Café
Sci-Fi
The Plaza
Beaches and Cream- I've always wanted to try the No Way Jose sundae from there
Ghiradelli- We will be going there!
gelato shake at D-Luxe Burger

Anyone else have any favorites? I'm also looking for favorite ice cream treats. As I said, I'd love to try the No Way Jose from Beaches and Cream, but it's so far out of the way I doubt we'll go. I know Ample Hills at Boardwalk is supposed to be amazing. I want to make a sampler over there, but, again, Boardwalk is out of the way.

We've been to the Ghiradelli in California Adventure and it was AMAZING!! I'm salivating just thinking about it! ((Stupid Diet!!)) :eeyore:

We've been to the Ghiradelli in California Adventure and it was AMAZING!! I'm salivating just thinking about it! ((Stupid Diet!!)) :eeyore:

This is a must-do for us this year. I've only been in the shop, but I've never had anything from there. I can't wait to try it!

Inside the parks - Les Artisan Des Glaces has some awesome ice cream treats. We change what we get based off our mood but they have a macaron sandwich, a martini, a warm brioche sandwich or just simple ice cream.

My husband got a shake at Sprinkles this past trip and loved that one!

Inside the parks - Les Artisan Des Glaces has some awesome ice cream treats. We change what we get based off our mood but they have a macaron sandwich, a martini, a warm brioche sandwich or just simple ice cream.

My husband got a shake at Sprinkles this past trip and loved that one!

I've never been to Les Artisan des Glaces or Sprinkles. I think Sprinkles will get a stop this year.

I always loved the shakes at the sci fi, but I honestly haven't really tried them anywhere else.

I always loved the shakes at the sci fi, but I honestly haven't really tried them anywhere else.

I've never had a shake there. Sci-Fi was on our original draft for ADRS, but we chose 50's Primetime and Mama Melrose instead so I don't think I'll make it over anyway.

I've never had a shake there. Sci-Fi was on our original draft for ADRS, but we chose 50's Primetime and Mama Melrose instead so I don't think I'll make it over anyway.

Well, as you are already aware the 50s PT ones are pretty great. We did have a red velvet shake there the last time (2014) that was really good. You better like them thick, though.

DSCN3664.JPG

Joining in, sounds like a fun trip coming up for you. We went 2x in November and the first time in 2012 was so awesome, it was so quiet. No crowds at all. Hasn’t been that way since then but at least we had one trip with really low crowds!

Your ADR’s look great. I am working on mine for our August trip.

Joining in, sounds like a fun trip coming up for you. We went 2x in November and the first time in 2012 was so awesome, it was so quiet. No crowds at all. Hasn’t been that way since then but at least we had one trip with really low crowds!

Your ADR’s look great. I am working on mine for our August trip.

Thank you for joining! I'm so excited to have you!

We spent our honeymoon there in November, 2015. The weather was warm but not sweltering. The crowds were okay. It was lovely. I look forward to it again as we usually go in September when it's hotter than hades and humid as all get out.

Can't wait to see your ADRs!

See ya Dining Plan!

Happy Mother's Day!

mothersday.png

Wishing all you wonderful mothers out there a wonderful day. I'm not blessed with human children, but I'm grateful for my mother and precious little grandmother. They are the reason I am who I am today.

So, last night I officially canceled the dining plan. I'm pretty excited about it, though I haven't been to Disney without the Dining plan since 2008. I look forward to the freedom of ordering what we want. PLUS! EXCITING NEWS! After 10 years of trying, I finally got a Disney Visa card last night. That makes me feel accomplished and more solid in our financial decisions. So, we'll be able to get discounts at certain restaurants and stores. This is even more assuring that canceling the dining plan is the right decision.

Now, if they'll just release a RO discount for our dates, we'll be all set!

So, last night I officially canceled the dining plan. I'm pretty excited about it, though I haven't been to Disney without the Dining plan since 2008. I look forward to the freedom of ordering what we want. PLUS! EXCITING NEWS! After 10 years of trying, I finally got a Disney Visa card last night. That makes me feel accomplished and more solid in our financial decisions. So, we'll be able to get discounts at certain restaurants and stores. This is even more assuring that canceling the dining plan is the right decision.

Now, if they'll just release a RO discount for our dates, we'll be all set!

Good for you! Disney has raised prices on the DDP so fast that they've made if ineffective other than if you eat at a bunch of buffets with kids. Way better to pay out of pocket. Especially if you decide to try some of the F&W experiences, which don't take DDP.

Since you got the Disney Visa as you say several restaurants on your lists have the Disney Visa discount. The best place to find those - mouseperks dot com. Boma and Sanaa are both included in that I know. Not a lot of the restaurants in the parks have the discounts, though. The important habit to get into is always ask. We have Disney Visa, DVC discount and last trip AP discount and TIW, but we still need to ask everywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter