No it is not ok to Breast Feed ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
if I knew where my camera was I'd save jons99 some trouble and take a pic of my baby eating now and PM it to him..

Mine might not be the popular opinion but I think covering up a little bit is good. My mom breastfed all four of her kids. She'd always have a blanket covering us and NONE of us have any ill effects from it. We don't have to eat in the dark or with a blanket covering us. I think of it as a courtesy to others around. Yes, your breast is exposed when you pull it out. It's exposed until your baby latches on.

I'm not saying this holds true for women here but I have a couple friends who breastfeed in public JUST to get a show. Just to get a reaction. Sure, baby's hungry at the time but they purposely don't cover themselves just to see what people do. That's ridiculous, IMO. If you want to feed your baby, go ahead. But I don't think creating a 'show' is necessary.

All that being said, I tried for a bit to breastfeed DD. I have larger breasts and I had to actually pick it up and point the nipple at DD so she could get her mouth on. I would think it might be alot easier for smaller breasted women to breastfeed in public but I know for me it was hard to do even at home! I can't imagine trying to do all that in public without a blanket or something. I'd feel too exposed. But others don't feel that way. I figure not everyone's going to do what I like so there's really nothing I can do about it.

i personally would not expose myself in public if i breast fed, that being said, i have only ever been uncomfortable once a couple of years ago when a woman at a table next to us at dinner in a restaurant picked up her 3-4 year old and pulled down her tank top.

i have seen all kinds of women's reactions to breastfeeding in public, it's a natural thing and i don't find it offensive. my job requires me to work with women who breastfeed and from what they have told me, after a while, you just don't care who sees your breasts anymore. this is especially the case after having multiple children. i'm not saying that all women feel this way, but i think that a lot do and they think nothing of exposing themselves when their child needs to be fed.

there are more places now that welcome breastfeeding and some places that do not allow it in public, have rooms where women can breastfeed their children.

if I knew where my camera was I'd save jons99 some trouble and take a pic of my baby eating now and PM it to him..

No, don't. It sounds like he would enjoy that too much. :scared:

Mine might not be the popular opinion but I think covering up a little bit is good. My mom breastfed all four of her kids. She'd always have a blanket covering us and NONE of us have any ill effects from it. .

But you know what - the added heat of a blanket tossed over your shoulder in 90º humid Florida heat, stinks.

I - me personally - just do NOT get this weird hang up on it, at all - what so ever.

With all we see on TV and movies now-a-days Im baffled this is still even a discussion.

smooth out the "golf ball" add a little thing on top and there ya go! :lmao:

It could randomly squirt passers-by on freakishly hot days, like the Stitch above the store entrance in Downtown Disney.

Or maybe a 4-D experience. I'm thinking "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience" meets "Toy Story Mania" meets "Dinosaur." A giant lactating, growling breast will be the central theme.

Talk about inappropriate exposure, I'm a li'l concerned that some pervs just perceive the human body for their own sexual pleasure...and they're postin' about it here on the DIS. :sad2:
Well, at least we know who they are, don't we? :scared:

It could randomly squirt passers-by on freakishly hot days, like the Stitch above the store entrance in Downtown Disney.

Or maybe a 4-D experience. I'm thinking "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience" meets "Toy Story Mania" meets "Dinosaur." A giant lactating, growling breast will be the central theme.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Oh no you di'int.

Talk about inappropriate exposure, I'm a li'l concerned that some pervs just perceive the human body for their own sexual pleasure...and they're postin' about it here on the DIS. :sad2:
Well, at least we know who they are, don't we? :scared:

Yuppers. I'll be watching some people's siggies and staying clear of Disney during those times. :scared:

Another note: I believe a big reason why MOST women are unsuccessful at nursing these days and have to turn to formula is because in our culture women have to hide away to nurse. Those of us who are successful at it do not do it in front of our young female cousins and other relatives and close female friends and family members because it is taboo to do it around people. So, they never get exposed to it at an early age like some cultures do, and that is why it seems so foreign and weird when we first try it with OUR babies after giving birth in the hospital. With other cultures it is totally natural, they don't stress out about their milk supply, if they are doing it right, etc. because they have grown up around it and are already knowledgable about how it works!

I'm glad my 5 year old daughter is getting exposed to it while I am nursing her 3 month old sister. She doesn't see it as dirty or sexual, just as a fact of life and when she goes on to have her own children she will have that memory which will put her at ease and hopefully contribute to her success in nursing her own baby.

Successful at nursing, or successful at hiding? When I'm in my home or that of family, I nurse whenever DD wants to, without hiding anywhere. They are my family, they love me, they think nothing of it. DH is hugely supportive, of me and of anyone else he sees NIP; he has even given money to a local hospital here for lactation outreach to low-income families. He feels very strongly (as I do) that supporting nursing is good for all of us, because it reduces the need to subsidize formula, and it is good for children's health.

DH was raised in a very prudish household, but I've even converted MIL, because I *am* discreet, but I never hide in any way. If DD makes me flash when we're sitting in MIL's living room, I chide DD about her exhibitionist tendencies; it's become an inside family joke. I can remember sitting outside one of the CS restaurants at AK feeding DD while sitting with my MIL, and she complimented me on how well I managed to nurse all over DW without showing any skin (it was December, and a tad nippy, if you'll pardon the pun; darn right I wasn't showing skin.)

Being male and raised as he was, DH was a little concerned that DS10 would be squicked out by me nursing his little sister. Didn't blink an eye, that kid. He takes it totally for granted that babies nurse. (Of course, at this point his only exposure to breasts as a prurient thing has been in video games, and we all know *that* cleavage looks like nothing found in nature! :rotfl: )

Bottom line is that if it bothers you, look away. If you stare at my chest, I'll just assume that you either have no manners, or that you think babies are cute (depending on the expression on your face.) Either way it isn't going to affect my behaviour.

Well, I hope that when I do become a mother, I do not view my breasts as completely having changes from a multi-purpose body part into solely a baby-feeding aparatus.

I suppose my own personal sense of modesty shapes my opionions ont he matter.

But AGAIN, it all comes down to RESPECT for others.

My sons see more flesh on an episode of Survivor than they do when I feed my baby. :laughing:

I am discreet when feeding my daughter, out of respect for others. However, I would truly love that respect to come back around.

Please...no more muffin tops, man breasts, hairy backs, butt skimming mini skirts, exposed thongs, plumber's cracks or banana hammocks.

When you all stomp your feet and demand the above offenders to "cover up", I will put my breast away.

;)

This is what it comes down to right here. No one has a problem with most those things and yet breastfeeding in public without a blanket over your baby is the worst possible thing you could do.

If people are okay with their choice to bottle feed, don't have such a hang up over those of us who chose to give our babies what our bodies naturally produce for them. :sad2:

If your baby likes being covered up, good for you.

Mine likes to be able to see me and play with my hair. We live in a very busy house, there is no such thing as a quiet place to nurse. Why would I search out something like that in public?

Arguing the matter using the rarest of experiences(exposing both breasts at once? :laughing: ) is pointless. Being a nursing Mom I look for other nursing Mom's to lend my support to, I RARELY see them in public. And ONE time I could see the sides of her breast. Not a big deal when you can see that on most woman at the beach or water parks. It only becomes a big deal when the side of the beast is on a nursing Mom. :sad2:

Perhaps a rule that only good looking women could be more showy would be an ok rule for Disney??????:rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter