No kids in adult areas even with nursery closed?

I didn't read through all 3 pages of responses so I might be repeating what other PP have said but here's my take.

As a mother of 3 kids (10, 7 & 2 1/2) some of the new protocols greatly effect our typical DCL vacation. We mostly likely are going to cancel our (sigh) Nov Double Dip.

I still don't think that the adults only areas should be open for all.

I also am one of the parents that might want some "alone time" with hubby even on a family vacation. DCL was always great in that they had the resources to allow this.

We obviously know life after kids is different. Yes- we do want to spend time with our children. Hubby and I are both front line workers and were looking fwd to maybe a couples massage or a date night dinner at Palo. I don't feel like a bad parent for that.

Just curious as to why Adult areas should not be open for all? Who decides what adults would be allowed?

Because adult-only areas are part of Disney - and all cruiselines. Not everyone cruises with kids and wants to deal with them 24/7.

ESPECIALLY for extra charge things such as Palo and Remy, they should absolutely remain adult only - or have a severe discount for adult-only parties

Because adult-only areas are part of Disney - and all cruiselines. Not everyone cruises with kids and wants to deal with them 24/7.

ESPECIALLY for extra charge things such as Palo and Remy, they should absolutely remain adult only - or have a severe discount for adult-only parties
Sorry I misunderstood your meaning. I totally agree with you.

And surely the reason people want to take kids into the adult only areas is the precise reason people want to keep them out? The usual "why can't my kid use the quieter pool" for example. I get that things are different at the moment and that this will mean some people don't get to experience something they were looking forward to but disappointing others just to level the playing field also isn't fair.

Does anyone know if they're adjusting the no kids requirements for some areas since the nursery will be closed?

We were hoping to go to Palo or Remy for our anniversary, but we will have a 1 year old with us that now has no childcare option onboard. :(

I feel like they should adjust the rules if they're taking away the nursery, otherwise parents of very young children are going to have a greatly diminished experience with no opportunity to do a lot of the things on the ship.

I’m childfree but most of my friends are parents: whenever they want a romantic getaway, they leave their babies/kids with the grandparents/godmother or family members. Or they bring family members with them on their trip and have them babysit for a night.

I completely understand not wanting adults only areas to suddenly include babies and toddlers, but there is NO WAY that this cruise is worth what they are charging for it for my family with an infant and a 5 year old. The reductions in entertainment and childcare (not to mention meet and greets) are removing what makes Disney better for my family than a cruise that costs a third of the price.

I can't help but wonder what my family is supposed to be doing during all that extra time we can no longer be enjoying those spaces or shows-- hang out in our bedroom? Fight for space at the pool along with everyone else who isn't allowed at the show that night and who has no where for their kiddos to go? Watch Disney movies in my stateroom?

I'm glad they are resuming operations and glad that so many people don't seem to mind the tradeoffs (or perhaps aren't as affected by them), but there is no world in which this vacation even begins to be worth $8k for my family. I'm glad they are giving warning. The hard part is going to be breaking it to my daughter. I thought it was safe to make plans for April 2022, that things would likely be back to normal after the vaccine, so we were willing to make a huge splurge to celebrate her 6th birthday. This will be her 3rd birthday with celebrations ruined by the pandemic. :(

We're still in 2021. Who knows how things will be then.

Worst case scenario, if you feel cheated with those prices, you could always go and sail on a « third of the price » cruise line and try to sell the « perks« to your 6 yo?

Most kids I've seen on those cruise lines did not look like their vacation was « ruined » by not being on DCL. ;)

I remember trying to go to Palo and the spa on our cruise only for my youngest to get some separation anxiety at the club and having to leave after 20 minutes from both experiences to pick him up. I learned quick on our next cruise that the best strategy was for DH and I to alternate time doing spa etc. solo so that the other parent was available to watch our son if he continued to dislike the nursery, and it was a good thing because he never once stayed in the nursery for more than half an hour despite having no issues with day care at home. I do think Disney oversells the benefits of the nursery in a way that is misleading to new cruisers, but knowing the reality that it is NOT true child care—just a play area you kid can stay as long was they are happy on their own with minimal attention from the staff, I don’t think the lack of nursery means they need to adjust their policy in adult areas. In hindsight I think it is telling they used to limit how many nursery hours you could book in advance—they are trying to signal you should count on usually having your baby/toddler with you. I say this to make the point: this is not much of a change. Try the “switching adults” option I mentioned.

I didn't read through all 3 pages of responses so I might be repeating what other PP have said but here's my take.

As a mother of 3 kids (10, 7 & 2 1/2) some of the new protocols greatly effect our typical DCL vacation. We mostly likely are going to cancel our (sigh) Nov Double Dip.

I still don't think that the adults only areas should be open for all.

I also am one of the parents that might want some "alone time" with hubby even on a family vacation. DCL was always great in that they had the resources to allow this.

We obviously know life after kids is different. Yes- we do want to spend time with our children. Hubby and I are both front line workers and were looking fwd to maybe a couples massage or a date night dinner at Palo. I don't feel like a bad parent for that.
Shoot I want alone time from my kid and wife.

Just another reminder here lets keep these posts on track. Quoting a post that looks like it will cause trouble, and responding to it doesn't make it any better. Thanks! :goodvibes

We're still in 2021. Who knows how things will be then.

Worst case scenario, if you feel cheated with those prices, you could always go and sail on a « third of the price » cruise line and try to sell the « perks« to your 6 yo?

Most kids I've seen on those cruise lines did not look like their vacation was « ruined » by not being on DCL. ;)

those other lines are looking more appealing - at least the kid activities on deck are still open (ropes courses, sports, etc) - and from what I can see on Carnival, kids clubs are still open per usual. . . my kid is on vaction too - he wants special activities geared toward him and when I compare cruise lines through that lense, DCL seems to be at the bottom.

those other lines are looking more appealing - at least the kid activities on deck are still open (ropes courses, sports, etc) - and from what I can see on Carnival, kids clubs are still open per usual. . . my kid is on vaction too - he wants special activities geared toward him and when I compare cruise lines through that lense, DCL seems to be at the bottom.
I've been cruising for 41 years and what you are suggesting falls right in with my advice to folks on picking a cruise. Pick a cruise not on the company, or the ship, pick a ship based on what it offers that is important to you. However, given the reality of what is going on, be prepared for some of those things to change on other lines too.

Yes! And while we're talking about Carnival... I would encourage DCL fans to take a look at the new Mardi Gras that will restart sailings on saturday. That ship is a game changer for Carnival and a family friendly experience.

Last edited:
Yes! And while we're talking about Carnival... I would encourage DCL fans to take a look at the new Mardi Gras that will restart sailings on saturday. That ship is a game changer for Carnival and a family friendly experience.

carnival has a bad rep which is more based on teh 3 day booze & gample cruises... their new ships look incredible and seem (since i havent sailed with them yet) to offer better and more diverse food options, entertainment, and kids activities - both club based and on-deck. . . as cool as aqua duck is, my son is a little bored of it now...

As someone with a one-year-old, I would HATE to bring him to Palo with me. He's pretty well-behaved when we go out to eat, but a place like Palo is supposed to be a getaway.

We have a cruise booked next summer with family. I'm hoping the nursery is open by then because I think he'd really enjoy it (he loves daycare). But if not, he'll hang with the grandparents during Palo Brunch. Although if his age group isn't eligible for vaccinations by then, we might not sail at all.

carnival has a bad rep which is more based on teh 3 day booze & gample cruises... their new ships look incredible and seem (since i havent sailed with them yet) to offer better and more diverse food options, entertainment, and kids activities - both club based and on-deck. . . as cool as aqua duck is, my son is a little bored of it now...
LOL. Carnival has made a nice profit catering to the under 30 crowd who take a 3 day cruise and go to their stateroom to drop their stuff off upon arrival, and don't return until they pickup their stuff to disembark. Sadly, I know more than one person that did exactly that.

LOL. Carnival has made a nice profit catering to the under 30 crowd who take a 3 day cruise and go to their stateroom to drop their stuff off upon arrival, and don't return until they pickup their stuff to disembark. Sadly, I know more than one person that did exactly that.

The good news is... For the price of the 3 nights on DCL, you can get a nice and family friendly 7 nights cruise on Carnival. :)

The good news is... For the price of the 3 nights on DCL, you can get a nice and family friendly 7 nights cruise on Carnival. :)
Yes. Our last cruise was October 2019 on Celebrity. 7 days, $600 per person for a balcony stateroom. Vancouver to Los Angeles. With one exception it was a perfect cruise. The exception, the hard sell every time you went to eat in an included dining room to book in the extra cost dining room. When we cruised on HAL in 2012 the pitched the extra cost dining rooms, but no hard sell. But our server did confide that the extra cost dining rooms were under performing. More people want the MDR that projected.
That is a Disney difference, they seem not to have any trouble fully booking Palo and Remy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter