No kids in adult areas even with nursery closed?

Yes. Our last cruise was October 2019 on Celebrity. 7 days, $600 per person for a balcony stateroom. Vancouver to Los Angeles. With one exception it was a perfect cruise. The exception, the hard sell every time you went to eat in an included dining room to book in the extra cost dining room. When we cruised on HAL in 2012 the pitched the extra cost dining rooms, but no hard sell. But our server did confide that the extra cost dining rooms were under performing. More people want the MDR that projected.
That is a Disney difference, they seem not to have any trouble fully booking Palo and Remy.
If we're in the mood to eat in an upcharge place, we negotiate and have gotten some deals. If we're not, we say, "No thank you" and walk on.

There are plenty nice areas to dine as a family children have no place in adult only spaces. There are only a very few adult only experiences and it would ruin it for those who enjoy those to open it to children. At the end of the day child care is a parental responsibility and not on the cruise line to provide. If the nursery is close do the adult spaces another time and enjoy family time

If we're in the mood to eat in an upcharge place, we negotiate and have gotten some deals. If we're not, we say, "No thank you" and walk on.
Yeah. The extra cost restaurants on Celebrity were half off by the third day of a seven day cruise.

Yes. Our last cruise was October 2019 on Celebrity. 7 days, $600 per person for a balcony stateroom. Vancouver to Los Angeles. With one exception it was a perfect cruise. The exception, the hard sell every time you went to eat in an included dining room to book in the extra cost dining room. When we cruised on HAL in 2012 the pitched the extra cost dining rooms, but no hard sell. But our server did confide that the extra cost dining rooms were under performing. More people want the MDR that projected.
That is a Disney difference, they seem not to have any trouble fully booking Palo and Remy.

DCL food in the dining room is okay. Palo & Remy are (IMO) much better. It is also much more quiet over there.

On Celebrity I keep hearing that the food is fantastic in the DR and even at the buffet... So I am not that surprised.

I don't think the adult bar and pool area should allow kids. But I would be okay with Palo or Remy allowing teens for bunch or maybe an early seating for one night on the cruise.

As a mom of a child who was truly amazingly well behaved at restaurants, even as a baby, I still really, really think that you'd be getting a diminished experience at Palo or Remy if you were allowed to go with a one year old. And it would likely also diminish the experience for others.

I get it....my entire 2020 anniversary trip got canceled and had it not been canceled it would certainly have been a diminished experience for the same cost. But that's something we're all stuck dealing with right now. All we can do is wait to travel when the lower experiences are too much and be glad for what we do have when we do decide to travel. Hugs! And Happy Anniversary! :)

Another thing to consider is that even if the nursery & clubs were both open at their old schedules, it still wouldn't be a guarantee of uninterrupted Palo time for parents. The workers will try to redirect an unhappy child at the clubs, for example, but if the child exhibits strong persistent separation anxiety, just keeps begging to leave, or persistently crying or tantruming, they will call and ask you to come get your child. I remember reading one particularly scathing review of DCL from an angry mom who expected them to keep her toddler in the club on Palo night no matter what happened, and had her "special romantic evening" interrupted due to the child's persistent separation anxiety, to where the couple had to cut their dinner short and pick the child up. I've seen other parents complain that their child didn't want to spend as much time in the clubs as the parents wanted.

If part of your reason for cruising is to get a break from your child or infant, you're always taking a gamble with DCL even under normal circumstances. Bringing a beloved grandparent or other relative along at your expense, with the understanding that they'll watch the child occasionally, is really the only sure way to get that adult-only time that you want.
Excellent point! Although we didn't complain as we wanted him to be happy, the one time my grandson was alone in the club at age four, he lasted about 20 minutes! He loved being in there with us playing during the Open House times. There was so much to do on the ship, and like PPs, I also think Disney may add some family activities. I sure wouldn't cruise right now if it was to have the best of both worlds, family time and adults only time, but would postpone or change my expectations.

If you noticed my reply to that previous post you will see that I stated that I misunderstood her meaning. I strongly agree that adult areas are adult only.
I thought your initial reply was really funny! I could see right away how you'd misread the OP, so your response was great! Thanks for the laugh 🙂

On the other hand, it also means that people in the adult spaces may have a greatly diminished experience if young children are allowed to be brought into those spaces.

I'd expect the status quo to hold, honestly, because either angle has its downsides.
Agree.

those other lines are looking more appealing - at least the kid activities on deck are still open (ropes courses, sports, etc) - and from what I can see on Carnival, kids clubs are still open per usual. . . my kid is on vaction too - he wants special activities geared toward him and when I compare cruise lines through that lense, DCL seems to be at the bottom.
On Carnival the kids clubs may be open but they are heavily restricting the number of unvaccinated people that are allowed to board. If you are unvaccinated you must apply for a waiver and at the moment they are looking at families with kids, not unvaccinated adults. Families are finding out shortly before their cruises whether they are going to be allowed to sail. If they are allowed to sail they must buy additional insurance to insure their transport home if something happens as well as a $150.00 per person (unvaccinated) to pay for covid testing. And from what I read even the Mardi Gras (the newest and biggest sailed at around 50% capacity. Everything is still different and I think it will be for awhile.

If I am spending $125.00 per person to walk in the door plus my wine, on top of what I have already payed to be on ship. Remy is an adult only experience. So if I had to look over and see a rugrat in a high chair, throwing crackers on the floor. I don’t see a problem with that, yeah sure it will be fine. No worries mon. #not

If I am spending $125.00 per person to walk in the door plus my wine, on top of what I have already payed to be on ship. Remy is an adult only experience. So if I had to look over and see a rugrat in a high chair, throwing crackers on the floor. I don’t see a problem with that, yeah sure it will be fine. No worries mon. #not

Except the concept is not its completely open it would be that there would be a limited period specific for that type of guest who would bring in a infant.

So no you wouldn't look over and see that family.

Really it would be no different than kids clubs closing for open houses.

Disney won't do this in the end though so for those needing it it's really a skip the adult areas on the cruise or cancel. I feel for those who possibly have nonrefundable deposites and can't cancel.

Does anyone know if they're adjusting the no kids requirements for some areas since the nursery will be closed?

We were hoping to go to Palo or Remy for our anniversary, but we will have a 1 year old with us that now has no childcare option onboard. :(

I feel like they should adjust the rules if they're taking away the nursery, otherwise parents of very young children are going to have a greatly diminished experience with no opportunity to do a lot of the things on the ship.
Adults only means adults only. Covid, no covid, Adult Pool, Serenity Bay, so please enjoy the family section of the ship which is a majority of it.

No, I don't think that they should allow kids in the adult areas. Why would anyone think this way? We all have our stages in life where we will not be able to do certain things. But that does not mean that everyone else has to change to accommodate what stage we are in right now. Do you feel that in 20 year, when your kids are grown and you want adult time, that the rules should change for someone else and inconvenience you? The answer will be "no". I might be too old school, but I don't understand this mentality.

If they allow kids in the adult section, then there will no longer be adults only section. At that point the whole reason that you liked the adult section will be gone. ie The whole reason you liked the adult section is because there were no kids.

If they allow kids in the adult section, then there will no longer be adults only section. At that point the whole reason that you liked the adult section will be gone. i.e. The whole reason you liked the adult section is because there were no kids.
Well, I would say that is not necessarily true. "The whole reason that you liked the adult section" varies person to person.

We go to Palo brunch for the excellent food, service and upscale decor--if kids were there, we would still enjoy it just as much. Just as we do at Disney signature dining like Cali Grill, Tiffins, Yachtsman etc. which are full of kids but still an elevated experience.

Same for adult pools/hot tubs--we enjoy the hot tubs and pools at Disney World and they are not adult only and often have lots of kids in them (including at the "quiet" pools). What makes the family pools on the ship unpleasant is they are so small compared to the adult pool and the only place families could go--if kids were split between the family pool and adult pool, it might even help thin out the crowd a bit. And it might actually encourage some of the adults to be a bit better behaved if they know they are being watched by kids--I decided to leave the adult pool on the fantasy once because of a big group of adults doing shots IN the pool, being very loud and saying some pretty horrible stuff.

Anyhoo, I still am in the camp that Disney Cruise Line should keep some spaces adult only (or at least do so for certain hours of the day like the do for the bars/lounges),--but my point is only that for ever person who thinks kids being present ruins an adult only area, there is another person who honestly wouldn't mind. I think they struck a better balance with the Wish of having a smaller adult-only deck area and making the hyperspace lounge kid-friendly during certain hours.

Well, I would say that is not necessarily true. "The whole reason that you liked the adult section" varies person to person.

We go to Palo brunch for the excellent food, service and upscale decor--if kids were there, we would still enjoy it just as much. Just as we do at Disney signature dining like Cali Grill, Tiffins, Yachtsman etc. which are full of kids but still an elevated experience.

Same for adult pools/hot tubs--we enjoy the hot tubs and pools at Disney World and they are not adult only and often have lots of kids in them (including at the "quiet" pools). What makes the family pools on the ship unpleasant is they are so small compared to the adult pool and the only place families could go--if kids were split between the family pool and adult pool, it might even help thin out the crowd a bit. And it might actually encourage some of the adults to be a bit better behaved if they know they are being watched by kids--I decided to leave the adult pool on the fantasy once because of a big group of adults doing shots IN the pool, being very loud and saying some pretty horrible stuff.

Anyhoo, I still am in the camp that Disney Cruise Line should keep some spaces adult only (or at least do so for certain hours of the day like the do for the bars/lounges),--but my point is only that for ever person who thinks kids being present ruins an adult only area, there is another person who honestly wouldn't mind. I think they struck a better balance with the Wish of having a smaller adult-only deck area and making the hyperspace lounge kid-friendly during certain hours.
I don’t know how old you are, but when a lot of people reach a certain age and no longer have children, other people’s children can be quite annoying. Sure they may be cute but in certain settings, like when I’m trying to relax or read, or take a little nap in my lounge chair, or just contemplate life while viewing the ocean, I really do not want someone’s kids running around, squealing, and screaming with delight. Thats why I like the adult deck areas. I don’t mind kids, I raised my own and have grandkids but when I want my time I don’t want others little darlings bothering me.
I

I disagree on enjoying just as much. Yes, California Grill is an elevated experience, but it is just not the same elevated experience it would be with no kids (I'm not saying they need to make Cali Grill adult-only). The one time we tried to go to Flying Fish, we were initially sat next to a table with a crying baby (parents were not making a move to leave). We asked to move and were then seated by a long table with more kids than adults with all the kids at one end raising heck. We left. It just was not going to be the experience we wanted, especially for the price.

As for the Wish, I'm holding out til we see the real thing, but my impression so far is the adult pool area is too small. We take an annual cruise of extended family, and lounging at the adult pool is a big part of our entertainment. We meet up with the kids at other times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter