No Lids

Status
Not open for further replies.

brockash

DIS Veteran
And there it is...
http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories...reduction-of-straws-and-bags-eliminates-lids/

I know there was a lot of discussion and question on if/what kind of lid Disney would offer when they do their "go green" initiative and those who were concerned that no lid would be provided seem to have had good reason to worry and they were right.

By next week Disney will eliminate offering lids at Disneyland and will only provide plastic straws when requested. It's only a matter of time before this starts at WDW.

This is frustrating for us. We have kids and honestly just much prefer straws and lids and I cant imagine how many spills will be happening now.

I'm not against the environment or anything, but I also dont feel the very small realistic impact this may have on pollution (not to mention the fact that it's 100% only to save money for Disney) balances out the inconvenience for customers...and yes I know there are TONS of posters who dont mind, think this is great, dont like lids/straws anyways, but for the rest of us...argh.

The link you provided says “adult cold beverages” so perhaps they will still provide them for kids’ drinks.

And how many magic bands do they mail out/use each year lol....this has NOTHING to do with helping the environment...it's only about helping their wallet and them trying to manipulate the situation.

It's using the current status quo in California to save on costs.

In some parts of California you can be arrested for giving out s plastic straw.
I

No horse in this race, but don’t confuse single use plastic items (like straws) with reusable or multi use items (like magic bands).
I really doubt many reuse them...I'm sure the numbers on the dis are higher, but many wouldn't think twice about it and then you also have to take into account the fact that the batteries only last a couple years at best. I just did a major purge of all the accumulated bands that our family has used over the last several years.

I really doubt many reuse them...I'm sure the numbers on the dis are higher, but many wouldn't think twice about it and then you also have to take into account the fact that the batteries only last a couple years at best. I just did a major purge of all the accumulated bands that our family has used over the last several years.

Maybe, But they ‘can’ be reused. I think you’re wrong about the batteries. Certainly don’t last forever, but a couple of years is not accurate.

I doubt you’ll argue that people bring the magic band home and back to the park far more often than they do lids and straws. That’s my point.

I dislike buying a drink without a lid because the lid adds to the stability of the cup. Also getting a full cup and trying to walk away from the food lines is almost impossible without sloshing soda over the side. We try our best not to buy drinks in AK just for this reason.

If Disney wants to save plastic, have items by request. Or three drinks, three straws. How many times have you seen kids getting 10 straws, just cause it fun to push the button or lever for another straw to pop out?

Definitely not a fan of getting rid of lids, ESPECIALLY when you consider balancing those full quick-service trays while trying to navigate to a table.. My guess is they'll fill them less to accommodate for spillage, which isn't exactly a perfect solution either. Interesting that they say guests with disabilities will be accommodated, but in a year straws will be phased out- what will they do then? Require a DAS for one? Make the guest carry around a reusable one all day? Will the guest have to clean it off themselves, considering they won't fill resort cups? Too many questions.

Maybe, But they ‘can’ be reused. I think you’re wrong about the batteries. Certainly don’t last forever, but a couple of years is not accurate.

I doubt you’ll argue that people bring the magic band home and back to the park far more often than they do lids and straws. That’s my point.

MagicBands actually work perfectly fine for gates, doors, tickets, FP+, charging, DDP .... without the batteries so technically they are good forever. They only need the battery part for the active RFID so that would be ride photos (with no taps) and interactive effects when/if they use them.

I have dozens, none have gone into a landfill. I take a few each trip, keep extras in FL, keep extras in car .... but I get we aren't normal. :D

We are here now and a handful of locations have put our drinks on a tray without a lid, even for the beverage that comes with a kids meal. Happened at Pinocchio Haus and Cosmic Ray’s today. When DH asked for ice
water at Cosmic Ray’s he did get a lid and straw. The customer ahead of me at La Cantina in Epcot asked for a lid and was told “we just stopped today” and did not seem to have any behind the counter. Backlot Express had lids and straws at the self-serve drink station yesterday, and Woody’s at HS did have lids and straws as well.

Meanwhile with every last purchase we have been offered so many plastic bags that I have to hand back half of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter