No longer believing in the characters? 🥲

Just like Santa Claus and the tooth fairy the question as to whether or not the characters at DIsney Parks are real or not is one of the popular questions of younger children and there really is no answer to this question. Because in my eyes I believe that the characters at the parks are indeed "real" because if children believed that the characters at the parks were not the real ones the magic would disappear. Just like at Christmas I have always believed that if children don't believe in Santa Claus Christmas will not exist. But I have always thought of Disney characters being like the character performers that people hire for children's birthday parties and I have thought that when you audition to be a Disney character Disney does require you to have some of that experience before they select you. Because I think the character actors truly do an amazing job bringing characters to life making them as real as they seem to be most especially the actresses that play the princesses and the actors that play the Marvel characters at Avengers Campus do a great job as well. So I think for a younger child it's best to tell the child that the characters are real and they want to become good friends with them

My oldest is 6 and is starting to question the fur characters. For face characters, we told her that the movies are based on the real princesses etc., so while the films are animated and voiced by actors, the people you meet in the parks are the REAL Belle, Elsa, Merida etc. They are the actual people the movies are based on, and they come to the parks to meet people when they're not at home in Arendell or whatever. She's on board with that. Fur characters are a little trickier, and I know this is probably our last trip where she'll buy into it. We just say that WDW is a magical place, where magical things happen that defy the rules of our normal world. You know.... like giant mice that don't talk for some reason 😂 At this point, I think she's actually just playing along, and this will be our last trip where she "believes." But our younger one is about to have his first trip where he's actually aware of what's going on, so I'd really like for there to be at least one trip where they both are totally into it.

I guess I just don't think it's a big deal. My kids know that they are regular people dressed up in costume. She still sometimes likes to have her photo taken with them. We are local and I know a few people who have "worked with" characters and even with some secrets, it's still fun to do a photo with a princess or Mickey even when we know they're just regular people who might shop at the same Target that we do. One of my kids even says she wants to be a character when she grows up, so we've had all of the conversations. Yet she'll still get excited to have her photo taken with Mickey.

Our 5 yo granddaughter was at Chef Mickey´s and had a blast meeting the characters, especially Goofy. We were surprised when she came back to us and said, ¨You know they aren´t real right and just people dressed up?

Listen, I was 28 the first time I went to Disney and if you think I wasn't giddy af to see Princess Jasmine (my favorite princess, even named my first pet after her at 3) you'd be wrong! I knew and it didn't change anything because this was Disney's Princess Jasmine! And if you think I don't start grinning when I see Pluto? I know but there's just magic when you're there and for one moment I kinda forget that they're not real because I'm at Disney and I'm pretty sure that if I just wish hard enough, who knows?, maybe I'll fly too. We all know outside of Disney that they aren't real but inside the World/Land? Who's to say with all that pixie dust all over the place?

Just tell her that yes, she's right that it isn't the character from the screen but it's a Walt approved alternative and maybe she can keep her mouth shut so that the rest of us get to have this moment? But, you know, politely say it to her with age appropriate language lol

I don’t get the question, I go “behind the curtain “ just about every day. I see a few of them walk the same halls I do and when I say, “ hey, Mickey” and Mickey gives me a high five, I can assure you, they are real and I’m a 58 year old man and it makes me smile today just as much as it did when I was 8.
You gotta believe in the Magic, it’s real!!

I think for my kids (14 and 11) we try to focus on kids around us in line meeting the characters for the first time. Just seeing their excitement builds up the magic in our own eyes. So while my girls know they are actors playing a part, we still respect the work and time they put into it and can play along! If Mickey walks by (or any character!) I still wave like a little child and I know he isn't "real". I think that helps others around me and it's hard to be anything but happy when you are smiling and waving!

Understanding that the characters aren't real not only doesn't ruin the experience, in some ways it makes it even more fun. They're pretending and so are you. You're in it together and it's a kick.

Going to WDW is a trip to a world of fantasy. That's one of the wonderful things about it . . . and the reason I hate to leave!

I wasn't brought up with any "Santa is real" sort of stuff and yet I love fantasy and in fact I'm a novelist. Novels aren't real either and neither are fictional movies, but that doesn't stop me or anyone else from enjoying them, relishing them, and loving them.

So, OP, don't worry about your daughter. Maybe this is the first step to her becoming an Imagineer when she grows up!

She'll still have fun. My kids have never believed the characters were real, nor have we ever suggested that they are. They know they are just people dressed up, but it's fun to take pics with them and get their autographs anyway.

I never had a kid even say anything about the characters and I had 4!!! I assume they always knew they weren’t real. I also believe that everything at Disney is magical and it’s just fun. I adore Tigger, wave every time I see Mickey, got my picture with Chewie last trip with DH and we are in our 50s. I say tell her the truth and that the magic of Disney makes it special but not to ruin it for her younger sibling (make it a special task for her to help you) I bet she has just as much fun!!!

My mother once asked me when my family was at a character breakfast at DIsneyland at Goofy's Kitchen and she saw Goofy at the table next to us and asked me why Goofy doesn't talk because she thought Goofy wasn't the real Goofy and I told Mom that it was a special Disney secret and she just laughed. Even my mother who's a fan of the princesses can't get over how amazing Disney Parks make the actresses look like the Real McCoy. But I think Disney does an awesome job casting character actors and always wondered how they do it so well? Because it really makes your trip amazing

Our four year old said that a few months ago, but it didn’t stop her from enjoying seeing the characters and dining with them. Heck even my teens enjoy seeing them all dressed up in the finest princess attire!

Not a parent. I still enjoy as an adult getting a picture taken with a favorite ::MickeyMocharacter. God willing one day when my Dad and I feel comfortable returning to Disneyland, we both look forward to getting our picture taken together with both of all of our, on here, favorite mice. I also love the spirit and idea of :santa:and believe each of us can be bringers of his faithful cheer.

Thanks for your responses 😊 I suppose I should have written "how have you found it at the parks, and especially character meets, when they stopped believing"
It didn't change a thing about our trips. We have always been honest with our kids about this kind of stuff. WE also went with the whole "it is fun to pretend" route.

When this happened for us, I approached it as the magic of Disney -- bringing our favorite characters to life so that we can become part of the experience (sort of Walt's original idea) and interact with them. Basically, following a line of thought that they are not there to try to fool you, but rather to allow us all to have fun by becoming immersed in the stories.

It’s so much easier, more time for rides and stuff, you don’t have to waste time on meet and greets!

My daughter announced this to us at the beginning of first grade, but it never stopped her love for the parks or character interactions. Heck, she had her best-ever character experience when she was either 13 or 14, with Mulan. Sarah was the only one waiting and it was a dreary day, low park attendance. She chatted with Mulan for a bit and then we went inside the pavilion to wait for the movie. Mulan came in, took Sarah around the museum part of the pavilion, talked to her about her life in China, etc. I am not quite sure how this happened, as I am pretty sure guiding guests thru the museum is not part of a character's job description. Sarah was in heaven, and talks about it to this day (25+ years later)!

Mickey may not be real and you may know he’s not real but I bet he’s the most popular thing in the room when he walks in.

My oldest knows, I told her just don’t ruin it for the younger kids and of course she still loves to meet the characters. I think it’s easier to just explain it to them in a mature way. I told mine dad is 35 and my favorite part of Disney is seeing Mickey again even if I know it’s not really Mickey.

What’s going through her head is natural. Let her draw her own conclusions and maybe guide her to let a younger sibling draw her own conclusions as well. Make the interactions fun by complimenting outfits, asking a question, sharing a favorite story scene, etc. Reality suspends itself at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter