*No longer relevant* (Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy)

So, question. I'll be buying a 3-Day, one park ticket with MaxPass to use over at Disneyland. Since I am a CM here in Canada, I'll be using my Main Entrance Pass to gain entrance to DCA (both to save a bit of change by not selecting the Park Hopper option and also had to do it this way as Disneyland Park is blocked out for us throughout August). As far as I understand, when we go into DCA using a MEP, we are given a standard one-day park ticket to scan into the app, etc. Anyway, with this... I'm basically attempting to do a Do-It-Yourself Park Hopper with a combo of the two types of admission.

So, based on the wording of what you've said above... do you not NEED a Park Hopper to be able to gain access to DCA's roster of attractions on MaxPass? If that's the case, that would be great to not have to pay another $15 each day we'd like to book attractions and head over to DCA. Would be quite handy to be able to book a FP over at DCA before we leave Disneyland Park and by the time we get over there, it is time to ride something...

Does anybody have experience with having a one-day pass with MaxPass on it but noticing that they were still able to grab passes over at DCA, even though they didn't technically have admission for it? If not, do you suppose once we scan into DCA using our CM MEP ticket and add that into the app... maybe then MaxPass will be come available for DCA? I'm just not sure if the system would want us to have MaxPass bought twice for each ticket or if it just blankets your whole account for both parks for the day.

Any insight into this tricky question would be appreciated!!
I doubt anyone can answer this since there’s normally not a way to enter both parks without a hopper. Even if it looks like you can book it, it’s possible it doesn’t let you, and I doubt anyone has actually gone through and booked a FP for a park they can’t get into... so probably no one knows.

Hmm... interesting they'd have a restriction like that when they block out certain AP's and CM admissions for huge month chunks at a time. What are they supposed to do if they want to visit Disneyland Park proper, other than buy a regular park admission ticket??

I think that’s kinda of the point. They are blocked for a reason.

I am going to be straight forward that I don’t think what you have planned here is possible. They don’t allow people who buy 2 separate admissions of 1 park per day tickets to access the other park. What I mean is- I am pretty sure they only allow a single guests to hold one type of admission per day. I remember reading about it.
I think you’re thinking of the fact that you can’t use a multi day ticket as a hopper - like, you can’t but a 3-day one-park-per-day ticket and then try to use two of the admissions on the same day to get a “hopper” out of it. The ticket itself won’t allow that.

I don’t think they could restrict someone from having two totally different tickets? How would they know?

Yeah I could be wrong for sure. I’ve just read before like someone being gifted a 1 park per day ticket and they have a 3 day day per park ticket and then asking if they could use them on the same day to make a “hopper” and the answer being no.

But yeah I’m not sure how Disney would even know if you did... but I’m not sure the app is going to register two tickets for the same day.

I don’t think they could restrict someone from having two totally different tickets? How would they know?

That's kind of my way of thinking here. Unless the problem suddenly occurs when I try to link the CM MEP pass to the app and it goes "Hey! You already have admission for today!!" and denies the additional ticket add.

Though... I'm not sure why they'd do this as it would be considered a loss of profit for them...

Last edited:
That's kind of my way of thinking here. Unless the problem suddenly occurs when I try to link the CM MEP pass to the app and it goes "Hey! You already have admission for today!!" and denies the additional ticket add.

Though... I'm not sure why they'd do this as it would be considered a loss of profit for them...

However, even if that was the case, we COULD probably make still make the MEP admission work if we are willing to give up the use of MaxPass over at DCA in lieu of using the CM admission ticket separately and just grab FP tickets via legacy and keeping the tickets separate from each other.

I did some reading because I always want to learn more and I mis understood I think. I think you may be okay. I don’t know about the app tho.

Here is where my confusion came from. I don’t think you can use multiple days on a single ticket in one day. Meaning if you have a 3 day ticket you can’t use two of the days to hop one day.

However- what you are describing are two completely desperate tickets.

Report back what you find out!

Here is where my confusion came from. I don’t think you can use multiple days on a single ticket in one day. Meaning if you have a 3 day ticket you can’t use two of the days to hop one day.
This is correct. Many people have asked questions along the lines of "I have a four-day, one park per day ticket. Can I go into both parks on one day by using two of the 'days'? It saves money over buying a three-day park hopper."

Yes. Yes, it does. And that is why you can't do that.

I did some reading because I always want to learn more and I mis understood I think. I think you may be okay. I don’t know about the app tho.

However- what you are describing are two completely desperate tickets.

Report back what you find out!

Yeah no, that's not what I'm doing. 3-Day one park per day pass to be used at Disneyland only. CM entrance into DCA only when we wanna go over there.

And yes, I shall report back. Fingers crossed there's no major hiccups! D:

I’m not sure it’s really necessary for everyone in my group to buy Maxpass. Is it like Disney World where one person (main account holder) can make fastpass selections and download photos if everyone in their party is linked? I’m so new to this I don’t know. I’m trying to save money in anyway possible.

I’m not sure it’s really necessary for everyone in my group to buy Maxpass. Is it like Disney World where one person (main account holder) can make fastpass selections and download photos if everyone in their party is linked? I’m so new to this I don’t know. I’m trying to save money in anyway possible.
You can only book FPs on the app for people who have purchased Maxpass. So if you want to book for four people, you need to buy for all four.

You can buy for just one and get all the photos that way. You can also just purchase for one or some of the days of a multi-day trip.

One person can make all of the FP selections for a party with MaxPass, but every person in it has to have purchased it for the day. However, legacy FastPass (where you get the FastPass at the kiosk, not via the app) is still 100% free.

Hi! I have a question. If I have a Hopper Ticket with Max Pass, Do I have to enter both parks to start making fastpass or as soon as I enter the first park can I make fastpass for either parks?

Hi! I have a question. If I have a Hopper Ticket with Max Pass, Do I have to enter both parks to start making fastpass or as soon as I enter the first park can I make fastpass for either parks?
You can begin using MP as soon as you activate your ticket at either park. No need to enter both parks before using MP. Part of the beauty of MP is that, once you've activated your park hopper ticket, you can use it for both parks no matter which park you're in!

First impressions from our first day using Maxpass (today!)

Of course, it is awesome. Specifically, the ability to be spontaneous (East coast family here used to FP+).

A word of thanks for this thread and the description of “stacking”. While finishing up around 3pm at Disneyland, I managed to get 4 FPs for Soarin, TS Mania, RSR and Guardians all between 6 and 9pm, which is a pretty killer park-hop. We rode in the order listed above, but we got them RSR, TS, Soarin, Guardians order, and I just watched for my “you can get your next FP” time carefully.

First impressions from our first day using Maxpass (today!)

Of course, it is awesome. Specifically, the ability to be spontaneous (East coast family here used to FP+).

A word of thanks for this thread and the description of “stacking”. While finishing up around 3pm at Disneyland, I managed to get 4 FPs for Soarin, TS Mania, RSR and Guardians all between 6 and 9pm, which is a pretty killer park-hop. We rode in the order listed above, but we got them RSR, TS, Soarin, Guardians order, and I just watched for my “you can get your next FP” time carefully.

Isn't it awesome! I bet you were a hero in your family's eyes!

I booked through Disney for our upcoming trip in October with 5 day hoppers. At the time I didnt book Maxpass. Would it be easier to call and add it to my reservation or to buy it each day that we are there.

I've never added it by calling in advance, but I can tell you that adding it in the park once your ticket is scanned is really easy. Takes 10 seconds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter