• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No Magic Band ?

jacknsally19

DIS Veteran
If we don't order magic bands - do we use our phones for everything or is there some kind of Key to the World card like in the old days? I mean I feel like its kind of a waste of money to buy a band (?) especially b/c its so annoying to have anything extra on in the heat!

Yes, if you're staying at a Disney resort you can get a KTTW card at the front desk that will unlock your room door and serve as your park ticket. If you're staying offsite, the CM at the first park tapstile you enter can give you a card, or you can go to any ticket booth or Guest Relations office, including the ones at DS, to get a card before you go to a park.

Just to add that the KTTW card given out by the front desk also has charging privileges :) I didn't know that until my last trip.

I was also able to get a GOTG ride photo that showed up in my MDE, although I'm not sure if that was the card or my phone, or something else entirely!

I was also able to get a GOTG ride photo that showed up in my MDE, although I'm not sure if that was the card or my phone, or something else entirely!
If you didn't have a band (and a newer one with a fresh battery), that would have been your phone. They also experimented a bit with facial recognition but I believe they abandoned it.

I mean I feel like its kind of a waste of money to buy a band (?) especially b/c its so annoying to have anything extra on in the heat!
Do you have any water time planned? I'm not hugely pro- or anti-MB in the parks, but I love them at the pools and around the resorts. I like not needing my phone or even my wallet when I go swimming.

If you didn't have a band (and a newer one with a fresh battery), that would have been your phone. They also experimented a bit with facial recognition but I believe they abandoned it.
Good to know! I do have bluetooth enabled on my phone. Did not have a MagicBand with me that ride.

Do you have any water time planned? I'm not hugely pro- or anti-MB in the parks, but I love them at the pools and around the resorts. I like not needing my phone or even my wallet when I go swimming.
Yes, this is the main reason I like wearing a MB. The key card is fine, but I always worry that someone will think my keycard is lost/abandoned if I leave it by the pool and turns it in or throws it away.

Can we use old MBs from prior trips if we still have them?
Yes, they'll work for the vast majority of features forever. Anything you touch or tap will work. The only features that won't are the long-range ones, like automatic ride photo linking and that thing in Small World where it might say your name at the end. The photos now link with your phone via Bluetooth, so that shouldn't be a problem anymore either.

I do and that is a fair point! Maybe I will connect my old MB and just use it for the pools.

Yes, they'll work for the vast majority of features forever. Anything you touch or tap will work. The only features that won't are the long-range ones, like automatic ride photo linking and that thing in Small World where it might say your name at the end. The photos now link with your phone via Bluetooth, so that shouldn't be a problem anymore either.
Even one from 2017? Do batteries need changed. I read somewhere that batteries are good for maybe 2 years

Even one from 2017? Do batteries need changed. I read somewhere that batteries are good for maybe 2 years
Yes, it will work. I have one of the original test ones they were giving out in the beginning to guests staying at certain resorts. Not only does it still work, I still get ride photos with it. I do sometimes have to take the older ones to the front desk of the resort when I check in to get them to pair them again, even though they are showing active on MDE.

If we are going to a park on checkin day, should we stop by the front desk to get our KTTK card or go straight to the park and hope the person at the first tap will have one for us?

If we are going to a park on checkin day, should we stop by the front desk to get our KTTK card or go straight to the park and hope the person at the first tap will have one for us?
I would just get it at the park. Stopping at our resort traditionally adds a lot of extra time if the main reason for your stop is to pick up your KTTK cards.

If you have a MagicBand or MagicMobile for each person, go straight to the entrance. If you don't, you can still go straight to a park if you want, but stop at the ticket booth, not the entrance gate.

Just the 2 of us going for 2 days and wondering if really necessary. If yes where is the cheapest place to buy them? Thank you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter