No more dolphins at Busch Gardens

Buschfan

Mouseketeer
The rumors are true. This was just posted on the St Pete Times web site.

Busch Gardens to end dolphin show to make room for 'haunted' theater
Busch Gardens' popular performing dolphins show, a feature of the theme park since 1980, will be no more come September. The park's three dolphins, two sea lions and two otters will soon be relocated to Sea World in Orlando to make way for a new exhibit: Haunted Lighthouse, an adventure film for kids based on a story by R.L. Stine, author of the popular "Goosebumps'' books. Busch Gardens officials said the demise of Dolphins of the Deep show is part of a needed facelift for the 43-year-old park.

That means no coaster for 2003... and at that it's not even a real horror show, but a Goosebumps one. Oh well, we'll see how it turns out, but I don't see this fitting at all into Timbuktu!

It does seem a strange fit for an African themed park, but as always, I prefer to hold judgement until I see it.

This park has plenty of thrill rides, so personally I am glad to see something like this (especially an air-conditioned attraction!).

I feel the same way about the coasters, sigh.
We had to endure all of last year with the rumored hyper at BGT, and now there is nothing (coasters) till 2004 at any of the parks.
The good news is that we know something will go into the Kong building for 2004, and then hopefully BGT or SWF will build something. Two new rides in the same year.

The latest report is that it will be a 25 minute film. That's pretty long for a 3D film, so it may turn out to be pretty good, but certainly not as good as a new thrill ride...

Plus there's not much re-ride potential in a film for locals. Once you've seen it, you've seen it.
When it comes to a live animail show, I'll watch it over and over because it's different. But another 3d movie?
I'm sure they'll make good use of the building for Halo-O-Scream next year with a scary movie.

Sounds like Akbar II
Maybe they'll take the Dolphins back to Sea World and the Dolphin show can actually have Dolphins in it again.
HAVE FUN

Given how cramped and old the animal's enclosure was at BG, I think this is a good move from a conservation point of view. After DC and the upgraded and much more natural Key West exibit at SW I always felt that the dolphins at BG weakened Anhauser's case for the humane treatment of their animals and think this corrects an anomaly in their animal enclosures.

I think BG has PLENTY of thrill rides already so trying to put in something different is a worthwhile idea, hopefully it will prove a success. I do wish they would try to extend/rehab/move their icerink for their excellent iceshows. I feel the performers do a fantastic job with the tiny amount of space they have there. An extra 10/15 feet length and width would make a huge difference to that shows potential.

I liked the dolphin show at Busch Gardens. Although not as "big" as Sea World's, it's still as good as the one in Sea World...as for the new attraction, I don't think that it'll be a really good choice for Busch Gardens. But, I agree with most of you; I won't judge it until I see it.

IOAfan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter