No more smoking or vaping in the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Growing up in the 70's and 80's my dad was a chronic smoker who smoked whenever and wherever he felt like. Our house/car/clothes/hair etc. literally stank of smoke and no amount of washing would get it out. I grew up breathing second hand smoke and thinking nothing of it. Fast forward to 1997 when I had my dd, the grandchild my parents had waited over 10 years for. She was 2 months old and I remember picking her up from their house and her tiny pyjama smelling of smoke. He did not smoke around her but it was still there. Something snapped and I literally cut him off from his grandchild. I told him to stop smoking or to forget the baby as he would never again be in the same room as her. After 50 years of smoking he threw his full pack away cold turkey and has never again touched a cigarette. To this day, 22 years later, we tell dd that she indeed saved grandpa's life as I am not so sure he would be around today. It can be done with help or without if the willingness and the incentive is strong enough!

Obviously smoking is prohibited on airplanes and you cannot bring a lighter or matches onboard, but could you actually have a pack of cigarettes in your carryon or purse when boarding?

Actually, the lighter and matches not being allowed is no longer a “thing”. You can board an aircraft with all of the above. The TSA keeps everyone on their toes! Lol. I fly almost weekly and things change frequently but the lighters and matches have stayed on the OK list for at least the past 5 years.

Yeah. Do you really think drug addicts don’t have jobs? They may not be bus drivers but I know attorneys cpas admins etc who have or had a drug problem and still worked. And when it’s treated as a medical condition and not a crime are treated differently
What's your opinion on treating nicotine addition as a medical condition? :rolleyes1 Doesn't seem to be too much sympathy for that...

Actually, the lighter and matches not being allowed is no longer a “thing”. You can board an aircraft with all of the above. The TSA keeps everyone on their toes! Lol. I fly almost weekly and things change frequently but the lighters and matches have stayed on the OK list for at least the past 5 years.
This is off topic for this thread but my husband just flew to LA Tuesday. It was the first time in years that he has not gone through the full body scanners. Everyone that could (meaning medically) was sent through metal detectors.

And for reference we flew 2/28 to LA and you were still sent through full body scanners at our home airport.

Indeed TSA is ever changing (which is likely a good thing). Who knows what it'll be when he comes home in a few weeks and needs to fly back to LA a few days later lol.

Disney just announced that smoking and vaping is now banned in the parks. There will be smoking areas outside the gates.
AM NOT COMING TO THIS DISBOARD SITE FOR AWHILE AS I AM SICK AND TIRED OF GROSS TOOTH IMPLANT ADS THAT I HAVE NO RECOURSE TO OPT OUT OF!!!!

AM NOT COMING TO THIS DISBOARD SITE FOR AWHILE AS I AM SICK AND TIRED OF GROSS TOOTH IMPLANT ADS THAT I HAVE NO RECOURSE TO OPT OUT OF!!!!
:sad2: Calm down - all you need to do is install an adblocker. You can download one for free - just google it. And FWIW, you would not be seeing tooth ads (or toenail fungus ads :wave2: @TipsyTraveler ) if you hadn't searched for similar things on your own computer at some point.

What's your opinion on treating nicotine addition as a medical condition? :rolleyes1 Doesn't seem to be too much sympathy for that...
If you want a process where you can go get your nicotine fix in the morning before work and then go about your day fine. Although it is treated more as a medical condition than drug abuse - they aren't locking people up for smoking in public. Fines, tickets sure but for the most part you don't get arrested and jail (with some exceptions because I am sure someone will google some situation where a person was arrested for smoking - and of course - there are many cases where people of color are arrested at rates higher than white people etc.)
Most medical insurance plans will cover patches, gum, medication to ween off nicotine. If not, many of them are available over the counter. There are even some govt programs that give the products away (or there were when I last looked but its been awhile). There are therapy options for those that need some mental health supports to quit.
If you choose to quit smoking it seems like their are plenty of medically supervised options. I would ask your doctor about which is the best for you.

::yes:: Totally agree. The best way to keep people from smoking where you don’t want them to is to make it as convenient as possible for them to smoke where you do want them to. Smokers are going to smoke, at least a few times over a 10 or 12 hour period - it’s simply going to happen. This idea of not enforcing violations is just ridiculous.

You’ve nailed it exactly on how to drive desired behavior! I’ve been an annual pass holder in the past and frequent Disney Parks often. I can honestly say I’ve never encountered someone smoking outside of a DSA and I would have noticed (my nose is like a trained Labrador lol).

Warning: Long winded below! Lol

That being said, other venues that have banned smoking all together is exactly where I’ve seen people smoking. Inside NFL, MLB, college football stadiums, etc. on the interior ramps, in bathrooms, or near busy concessions. In many cases, they aren’t hiding that they are doing it. In a lot of cases a small group will form.

My fiance is a Police Chief. I inquired why no one did anything about it. His response that particularly when there is more than one person, in a crowded venue, it is the SAFEST thing to do is for everyone to just leave it alone. Introducing confrontation in crowds in this day and age can turn something as simple as a dude with a smoke into a full on physical confrontation that could escalate putting numerous people at risk if not an entire stadium because just a verbal threat can lead to evacuation, riot scene, etc. He states that in crowded venues there are far more significant things the public knows nothing about that is at the top of police/security radar not a person sneaking a smoke/vape. While inciting a scene might not be PROBABLE it is POSSIBLE and to LEOs not worth the possible risk.

Additionally, my Aunt is a manager of a very popular nationwide retailer. Their employment policy strictly states that no store employee should ever try to stop or engage with anyone shoplifting, even if they are blatantly walking out with a TV. They are to call police and never engage for the above reason. Termination is immediate for anyone who tries to engage a shoplifter because it puts the whole store, all employees and customers at risk of unknown dangers.

(Needless to say, going anywhere with a Police Chief/SWAT Commander and having him vocalize things that he notices or sees that the average person is oblivious to is MIND BLOWING....he can spot security gaps, drug deals, shoplifters, impaired persons, hidden weapons, suspicious people, pick pockets, plain clothes officers, etc like nothing I’ve ever seen! I will never admit it to HIM but HE IS ALWAYS RIGHT! Hahaha!)

This is likely why CMs have directives to disengage after a friendly warning or not engage at all with implementing rules.

If you want a process where you can go get your nicotine fix in the morning before work and then go about your day fine. Although it is treated more as a medical condition than drug abuse - they aren't locking people up for smoking in public. Fines, tickets sure but for the most part you don't get arrested and jail (with some exceptions because I am sure someone will google some situation where a person was arrested for smoking - and of course - there are many cases where people of color are arrested at rates higher than white people etc.)
Most medical insurance plans will cover patches, gum, medication to ween off nicotine. If not, many of them are available over the counter. There are even some govt programs that give the products away (or there were when I last looked but its been awhile). There are therapy options for those that need some mental health supports to quit.
If you choose to quit smoking it seems like their are plenty of medically supervised options. I would ask your doctor about which is the best for you.
:offtopic: Oh good Lord, we have gone so far off topic it's getting ridiculous - genuine apologies for all that I contributed to that. :flower3:

::yes:: Totally agree. The best way to keep people from smoking where you don’t want them to is to make it as convenient as possible for them to smoke where you do want them to. Smokers are going to smoke, at least a few times over a 10 or 12 hour period - it’s simply going to happen. This idea of not enforcing violations is just ridiculous.
Disney can be an expensive vacation that many families save and plan for, sometimes for years. As a non-smoker, I still get why it would be irksome to have to leave and re-enter each park multiple times per day. I am not without empathy. I am wondering why you would boycott? Is it the short notice, or are there other factors? Disney has made a lot of recent changes, and I am wondering if this I a last-straw issue, on top of price increases.

FTR, I do not think smokers are "deplorables." I don't wish to smell any cigarette smoke and prefer non-smoking enviornments, but it is nothing against the smokers, per se, nor a judgment on anyone else's lifestyle.

Your approach is fabulous. I think it’s shameful for all of that hate put on “smokers” in this thread. It hurts my heart that people just because they don’t like it or don’t agree can belittle and throw out their thoughts, opinions, solutions so rudely. (There have been some that had lovely and compassionate replies so credit given where credit due <3).

I personally don’t believe in alcohol. I don’t like the smell of it, the smell on people’s breath, or the way people act around it. But, I live in a “do you” world. I “do me” and you “do you” and we’re cool! :-)

And before people say that alcohol isn’t a direct comparison to smoking. Alcohol consumption has proven to cause liver disease and addiction. And before you say it can’t hurt anyone else, it can. I’ve been trampled by drunk people on more than one occasion (I’m super short), someone was so drunk they puked on my feet (in Epcot actually), even broke all my toes when a blatantly drunk woman on an ECV ran me over (Downtown Disney in front of Portobello’s) and outside of the park —- are they driving a vehicle?

At the end of the day, they aren’t me. If that’s what someone chooses to do, it’s their choice, their vacation. Sometimes it puts a bump in mine but not enough to make me come unhinged or preachy about their choices. Even when they broke my toes! It hurt but in hindsight we laugh hysterically over how it went down!

Let us be not so judgemental, offended, and just live in our own lanes! :-)

I thought they were an improvement over the toenail fungus ads. :confused3
Guess I'm lucky. I'm getting lovely Nordstrom ads and Broadway ticket ads.

I think that this is a great opportunity for smokers to get healthy and quit smoking. My FIL smoked long enough to give my MIL lung cancer from the 2nd and 3rd hand smoke. When my DD was born, I refused to bring her to visit them because the house stunk to high heaven of smoke as badly as they did. He finally quit smoking so that he could see his granddaughter. My baby saved his life. It was too late for my MIL, but her cancer did go into remission for several years.

To all the smokers out there: Save your own life and those who love you. Just a suggestion.

My point exactly! Unfair to spring this on people with a 1 month notice!

I agree that a one month notice is unfair. It should have been implemented beginning of the furthest out booking date.

Those stroller wagons (aka Tiny Houses) are expensive and often bought specifically for booked trips.

And some folks who do smoke may choose to vacation elsewhere if they were made aware of the policy.

Last edited:
:sad2: Calm down - all you need to do is install an adblocker. You can download one for free - just google it. And FWIW, you would not be seeing tooth ads (or toenail fungus ads :wave2: @TipsyTraveler ) if you hadn't searched for similar things on your own computer at some point.
I dunno, I’m getting tooth implant ads too and I’m positive I haven’t ever searched for that. I do think ads can be targeted towards key words in thread discussions. I’ve noticed before that I’ll start getting ads for luggage on travel-related threads, etc. One time someone was complaining about ads of the “adult variety” and of course everyone ridiculed the OP for bringing it upon himself but, sure enough, soon those types of ads were popping up for me on that thread.

I have yet to find an adblocker that works on my mobile version of Chrome (Android or iOS).

I dunno, I’m getting tooth implant ads too and I’m positive I haven’t ever searched for that. I do think ads can be targeted towards key words in thread discussions. I’ve noticed before that I’ll start getting ads for luggage on travel-related threads, etc. One time someone was complaining about ads of the “adult variety” and of course everyone ridiculed the OP for bringing it upon himself but, sure enough, soon those types of ads were popping up for me on that thread.
I can think of a dozen saucy comments but I promised myself I wouldn't spin this thread any further off into the ditch than it already is. ;)
:rotfl2:

And more importantly, from Disney's perspective, smokers are concentrated in the lower income segments of society... and we all know Disney is aiming mainly for the luxury market these days, rather than trying to be a destination with something to offer families of (almost) every income level. So a smoker-boycott is probably more than okay with them. It is probably desirable, because their resorts consistently have very very high occupancy and they'd really rather the construction worker and his family stay home, leaving another room open for a white-collar professional with more disposable income.

WOW!

What a horrible classification!!! So presumptive! I know far more white collar professionals that smoke than blue collar. Probably because smoking is an expensive habit!

My father smokes and you can’t get anymore white collar than he. When I was younger I would “bum” a smoke once in awhile when out with friends and even at that “younger” stage (mid 20’s) I had a graduate degree and was already making deep into 6 figures with zero debt.

Horrible, horrible, horrible!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter