• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No Park - what to do?

ECMD2018

Earning My Ears
Going to Disneyland for 1st time since Grad Night 1983. I hear the area has changed! Two nights at Disneyland hotel with my family with kids 15 & 7. We arrive late afternoon the first day and won't be going to a park that night. Suggestions on what to do that late afternoon/evening other than staring at DCA and remembering a giant parking lot? Something more than downtown Disney, or is that the best use of time?

May be investigating the hotel/pool for the day, but its been so long thought I'd ask for suggestions.

Thx.

You will get lots of suggestions on things in DTD or the area that would be great options. One thing I wouldn’t overlook is looking at the actual incremental price increase to adding a day in the park. The actual price jump to say go from 3 day tickets to 4 day tickets or 4 to 5 is probably less than what you would pay in transportation or to do other things that afternoon.

We do Downtown Disney. After a day of travel for us (2+ hours to the airport, 90 minute wait at the airport, 60 minute layover, couple hour flight, 30 minute drive to the hotel) the last thing we want to do is ride in a car to go somewhere else. So, when we get there, we settle into our hotel room, and go over to DTD. We eat at the quick service part of Tortilla Jo's (nachos are HUGE), then peek in the stores, especially World of Disney.

It's not glamorous, but it allows us a yummy meal while being close enough and chill enough to have close hotel and an early bedtime to start our Disney day!

There's a $$$ bowling alley at DTD. For a bit of a walk, there's a movie theatre at Anaheim Garden Walk, I believe.

DTD shopping, eating at one of the new restaurants, Trader Sam’s is kid friendly early in the day, pool is always good maybe even rent a cabana, explore the Grand Californian, maybe do the Void experience, and then eat someplace nice like Steakhouse 55.
I agree with another poster here though and see if adding a day to your tickets is worth it. There’s lots to do but if you don’t go that often being in the park is probably best use of time.

DTD shopping, eating at one of the new restaurants, Trader Sam’s is kid friendly early in the day, pool is always good maybe even rent a cabana, explore the Grand Californian, maybe do the Void experience, and then eat someplace nice like Steakhouse 55.
I agree with another poster here though and see if adding a day to your tickets is worth it. There’s lots to do but if you don’t go that often being in the park is probably best use of time.
If adding another day is on the radar check hours first so you know how long you’ll have access to the park. If you’ve already bought tickets you can add a day at the ticket booths, probably the best way to go about it actually in case you get delayed coming into town and decide you don’t want to go into the park after all.

Agree with PPs adding a day is best (especially because so much has changed!) but if you don’t want to do that you can spend the afternoon/evening in DTD and exploring GCH/DLH, make an early evening of it and hit rope drop for your first morning.

We arrived last week around dinner time and just opted to shop and have dinner at DTD. We wanted to get to bed early so we could make rope drop the next morning. With the other free time we had, we walked around Grand Californian and DLH, and went to Trader Sam's. TBH, we didn't find much else to do in the immediate vicinity - no mini golf or anything like that.

I thought the Void sounded cool but when I was looking it said must be 8 to do it. My DD is 7 (OP also has a 7 year old) so I opted not to do it, even though I know DS would like it.

I would buy an extra day on my ticket and go into the park. That is what I would do. I have a non park evening on my next trip, but that is only because I am maxed with the 5 day. We are planning to do the VOID on our non park evening.

If you're not interested in going into the park and going on rides, you could make it a park fireworks only night. Go to the shops, get some snacks and get in a good fireworks evening. I love evenings like that.

Are you only doing 2 nights? How many park days? If you are just doing 2, add one more. If you are only doing one, add one more. ;)

The park is very often open until midnight and so even arriving in the late afternoon gives you a lot of time in the park.

Otherwise, I would say relax and enjoy the pools, Trader Sam's, have a good dinner at Downtown Disney (all the restaurants are great). Do some shopping, etc.

I agree with the others that buying an extra park day is the best option. It's not anything like it was when you visited last time. It is now very crowded at all times. If you want to see/do almost everything, you need more time in the parks than 2 days.

You can spend time in Downtown Disney eating, shopping and bowling. It may end up costing more than adding on an extra day at the parks.

You can spend time in Downtown Disney eating, shopping and bowling. It may end up costing more than adding on an extra day at the parks.

Agree with this! Actually I'm in the same boat for our trip in September and this just convinced me that we should just do the extra day, even if it's just a few hours, the cost of upgrading is negligible and we'd spend just as much money in DTD, and the churros are better in the park!

If we are staying at one of the disney hotels, I usually try and do Goofy's Dinner, and maybe Trader Sam's afterwards (both at Disneyland Hotel). Pools, and downtown disney are good options too!

I agree with the others that buying an extra park day is the best option. It's not anything like it was when you visited last time. It is now very crowded at all times. If you want to see/do almost everything, you need more time in the parks than 2 days.

Thx. Adding a full day isn’t really an option. Should have stated - this is a 2 day stop en route to Aulani so confined a bit. Will look at option of a partial day at park, tho idea of waiting in lines with limited maxpass FP access due to late start and Galaxy Edge doesn’t thrill me.....

Appreciate the thoughts - it could be a Disney history study/experience day as well.

Thx. Adding a full day isn’t really an option. Should have stated - this is a 2 day stop en route to Aulani so confined a bit. Will look at option of a partial day at park, tho idea of waiting in lines with limited maxpass FP access due to late start and Galaxy Edge doesn’t thrill me.....

Appreciate the thoughts - it could be a Disney history study/experience day as well.

If an extra half day in the park isn't an option, then DTD is still fun. It's not for everyone, but Salt and Straw is there, they have some fun, wacky ice cream flavors. Also, the new Blacktop milkshakes look amazing, might be a fun stop after a bit of time at the pool. When we stayed at the DLH last year we found the pool to be fun, but only for an hour or so before the excitement of just walking around and enjoying the Disney atmosphere took over.

Have so much fun! So jealous you get to head to Aulani next!

Angels stadium is nearby - it would be easy to take a bus or even an Uber to get there if the Angels have a home game the night you get in.

We always do DTD it’s fun to see all the shops and buy tons of art at the art store. But adding on an extra day is like $50 (or it was for us to go from 3 days to 4) maybe you could look into it and have some low key walking around and maybe a ride or two at Disneyland or dca that day

Depending on how early you arrive, you could easily do a half day at Knotts Berry Farm. Admission is a lot cheaper than DL, and you can end the evening with dinner there. It’s a quick uber ride there and back. My family did this when I was a kid and I finally went back there a couple years ago and it was fun and worth it.

Might be a good idea to just take it easy and roam the lobbies of the 3 properties (mainly GCH.) If you want to do something non-Disney, look into Medieval Times for dinner. You'll need a cab or Lyft or something to get there and back, but it's a unique experience.

Depending on how early you arrive, you could easily do a half day at Knotts Berry Farm. Admission is a lot cheaper than DL, and you can end the evening with dinner there. It’s a quick uber ride there and back. My family did this when I was a kid and I finally went back there a couple years ago and it was fun and worth it.

Knott's is a great idea. Waaaay cheaper than Disneyland and a ton of fun. Or uber up harbor and go to Fullerton and get some cupcakes at Hapa Cupcakes. The best on the planet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter