• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No reason to renew AP before it expires?

This was from about 2 years ago. But, we got passes again last month and had the same experience! Had my expired passes this time tho. I was prepared, lol.

That is disgraceful. I hope you email Disney CS and tell them about your experience. How would anyone know they expect you to hold onto a piece of plastic for years??? We are getting annual passes in October. Our last passes expired in spring 2016 and I don't have a clue were they are now. I probably tossed them in the trash since they were no longer valid. If they try to pull that on me this October I will give them HELL. I will not be ripped off.

Same experience in Dec. Absolutely ridiculous they want you to hold on to a piece of plastic from years ago. We decided to upgrade on a whim and my father had an ap that had expired like 3 years prior and the CM wasn’t going to issue him one and then acted like she was doing us a favor by issuing him one at the end (which apparently she was now that I read this but after our upgrade from hell experience that just added to our frustration/anger). The entire ticket->AP upgrade system has needed to be scrapped and re-worked for some time.

At any point, did they say how you were suppose to know? How were you expected to know that you needed to keep the old passes around just in case you ever got new ones? Is this in writing somewhere, maybe in the fine print of the annual pass contract? Or did they just expected you knew by, magic?

Last edited:
At any point, did they say how you were suppose to know? How were you expected to know that you needed to keep the old passes around just in case you ever got new ones? Is this in writing somewhere, maybe in the fine print of the annual pass contract? Or did they just expected you knew by, magic?
It’s in the fine print of the AP contract.

That is disgraceful. I hope you email Disney CS and tell them about your experience. How would anyone know they expect you to hold onto a piece of plastic for years??? We are getting annual passes in October. Our last passes expired in spring 2016 and I don't have a clue were they are now. I probably tossed them in the trash since they were no longer valid. If they try to pull that on me this October I will give them HELL. I will not be ripped off.
Considering we’ve all gotten it waived I think you’ll have a good shot at that too.

Yes, I think if you complain/push back they waive it. CM waived it, didn’t need to talk to a manager.

Just keep your actual AP card. Once you’ve had an AP they always consider it a renewal when you get another one and will charge you $20 if you don’t bring your old card....even if it’s been years!

Dis Members have been reporting they charge if you get new APs after your old expires. So I saved ours for 2 years. The CM gave us new ones even though I had the old with me. She said it only mattered if we wanted the same number. I'll probably keep our current ones again though because people are still reporting this problem.

Just know if you lose your physical cards in the park and Disney finds them/they get turned in, they will be destroyed and must be reissued at the ticket booths. $20 fee waived. Ask me how I know. ;) Literally did this last Thursday.

On the flipside, our passes expired in 2016 but they did reissue new cards without a fee imposed end of last year. Seems dependent on the CM’s.

Just know if you lose your physical cards in the park and Disney finds them/they get turned in, they will be destroyed and must be reissued at the ticket booths. $20 fee waived. Ask me how I know. ;) Literally did this last Thursday.
Hmm...this must be new. Also in February of this year (it was a bad visit for my girls and AP cards) my DD11 lost her AP card almost instantaneously after I handed it to her after going through security. We hadn't even made it past the ticket booths before she was panicking that she lost her AP card. We walked back the 50 feet we'd gone since I'd handed it to her, but it was gone. We asked the security CMs, but nobody had turned it in to them. So, we scanned her in with the app, but checked at lost & found before heading back to the hotel - and they had it! Gave it right back to us.

Hmm...this must be new. Also in February of this year (it was a bad visit for my girls and AP cards) my DD11 lost her AP card almost instantaneously after I handed it to her after going through security. We hadn't even made it past the ticket booths before she was panicking that she lost her AP card. We walked back the 50 feet we'd gone since I'd handed it to her, but it was gone. We asked the security CMs, but nobody had turned it in to them. So, we scanned her in with the app, but checked at lost & found before heading back to the hotel - and they had it! Gave it right back to us.
Not new, I lost my AP in the jungle cruise line in 2014. It was turned in but they had to issue a new card. It depends on where it ends up at for lost and found. If it goes to central they destroy and reissue.

Not new, I lost my AP in the jungle cruise line in 2014. It was turned in but they had to issue a new card. It depends on where it ends up at for lost and found. If it goes to central they destroy and reissue.
That would explain the different experiences. Since my daughter's AP made its way there the same day, it was most assuredly turned in directly at Lost & Found. In our experience, things turned in elsewhere seem to arrive at L&F sometime the following day.

Yes, I should add that if they are returned that same day they will give back to you. Once the park closes, if not retrieved then they are destroyed. My caveat was I was told that we not turned in (11:30pm) but talking to another CM in L&F me told me mine were turned in by 4pm that afternoon. I use the app so thankfully I added our pass info & credit card to it (mobile ordering huge lifesaver that day!). I’m just happy Disney destroyed them so I do not have a $60 replacement fee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter