No right,no wrong, no rules for me - I'm free *First solo trip 4/30-5/6* updated 8/29x3 *complete*

Friday is finally upon us!!
Sometimes it feels like the craziness around here will never end! The last couple of weeks before the end of the school year are always insane, but throw in our preparations for Odyssey of the Mind world finals and...well. It's nuts. One more week before we leave for Michigan, and I'm counting down to the day we're back home. As excited as I am for the kids (and for me...I've been coaching for four years!), they're not being very focused right now, and they're kind of driving us up the wall. Oh well, we'll get through it and it'll be over before I know it!

This weekend my cousin is graduating from high school five hours away. We have to make the trip up because this is a HUGE deal. We weren't quite sure she'd make it, LOL!! Not that she lacks any capability, but school work was hardly her priority for the past four years.

Nothing else of note is going on around here outside of meetings and general busyness of day to day life and PTO/school stuff, so I won't bore you to death, I'll just keep this report moving!

Chapter One Part Two: Animal antics and giraffe overload
After taking my mug back to my room, I made my way back down to the lobby of Animal Kingdom Lodge, and discovered the easier route to the lobby from my room. It did involve some hallway walking, but nothing too outrageous!

I knew where the bus stop was from our quick visit to look around in December, so I walked on out to go to my first park! Lucky for me, a bus to Animal Kingdom had just pulled up. (I had pretty good luck with buses when leaving the resort, but not always so much when leaving parks!)

I was so excited to get inside that I didn't stop for any pictures until I got to the Oasis and saw some people crowding around one of the animal exhibits. They moved away and I walked over to see what was so exciting:

Turns out, it wasn't all that exciting after all! If you look toward the center of the photo, you can see a little deer thing laying down back there under the foliage.

I wanted to make my way out toward brighter things, and was soon rewarded.

Ah, there it is!! I love you Tree of Life!! (fair warning, there will be a LOT of ToL pictures coming up)

As I moved closer, I noticed something was going on. They were doing a demonstration with the parrots in front of the tree and I had to go watch!

I had no idea that they were allowed to fly freely around the park. The handlers explained that they could even leave if they wanted to, but the power of the promise of food is quite strong...they know where home is because they know who fed them. I can relate to that!

I took a lot of videos on this trip, but I never know how to upload them here and make them work! I recorded the birds flying off in slow motion and it was the coolest thing!

Keeping the bird theme going, I stopped to see the flamingoes...

and then I decided to make my way along the Tree of Life trails to get closer to one of my most favorite places in Walt Disney World.

I am endlessly fascinated by all of the animal carvings on the tree. It seems like I find something new on every visit. This time, it was the seahorse above the waterfall:

And speaking of the waterfall, I got a little caught up in it on this day!

I must have taken about 20 pictures of it from different angles.

I headed toward...

and got distracted by the light fixtures in the area

Animal Kingdom is my favorite park for details. I know many people think this park is boring and consider it a half day park, but I love it so much! I probably write this in every trip or pre-trip report I write, but in my opinion, nothing comes close to Animal Kingdom in terms of theme. It is perfection!

I had a specific destination in mind and I was doing ok on time, but needed to keep moving. There was time to stop for this beautiful shot, though!

Beautiful to me anyway, I LOVE these boats!

The bird theme from earlier wasn't over yet! I had made it just in time for Flights of Wonder! The little pre-show thing out front was just ending with this cool owl right as I walked up:

I caught a minute or so of it and then they let us start making our way into the theater. I only have a few pictures of this (that I'm sharing, anyway!) because the sun was behind the stage area and made the photos pretty terrible.

Bald eagle:

And another owl (or maybe the same one??):

I love birds, so I loved this show. I was glad to finally make time to catch it. I had some fast passes coming up, so I headed toward my first one...but not before getting another shot of my beloved tree!

Part Three coming up in just a bit!

Aww the baby deer looks like Bambi all curled up
I love all the up close pics of the TOL really nice.
I can't believe all the times we've visited AK and never noticed the lamps they have so much detail
DD and I really enjoyed Flight of Wonder in March such a great show!
Your pictures are stunning.

Chapter One Part Three...

So where was my first fast pass?? I'll give you a hint:

I was in the village of Harambe and was so happy to catch the dancers out giving a demonstration. I loved seeing all of the kids out there dancing and having the time of their lives!

My first fast pass was for Kilamanjaro Safaris. What better first choice for the Animal Kingdom?? I think it's always what I do first!

There were quite a few animals out and about...but for some reason I was cracking up at these buzzards sunning themselves on the guardrail:

We headed out onto the savanna and I was rewarded with so. many. giraffes!!

I could see them in the distance and couldn't wait to get closer! But I'd have to wait a minute because these guys were up first:

They're cute, so I was ok with waiting a bit...because the giraffe payoff was pretty great!

Oh, I see you there, buddy!!

"and I see you too", he (or she) says!!

I loved that this one was stretching up to eat.

After giraffe-a-palooza 2017, the next animal friends on the agenda were elephants...including the little baby!

and finally, these hysterical old birds hanging out by the side of the road:

It was such a fun safari and I loved seeing so many of the animals out and active.

After returning from our two week trip through the wilds of Africa, it was time to make my way back to Asia for my next fast pass. Such a pretty walk along the way between the two continents!

I was desperate to embark on my journey up the mountain. I could hear the call of the yeti and I was determined to find him!

I found him, but decided to leave him alone...he seemed a little grumpy! I told him goodbye and kept going

I was on my way to see if I could find Nemo...and I got there just as the show was beginning! A few of us were able to sneak in the back right as they were getting ready to close the doors.

It was my first time seeing the show, if you can believe that. Preetttyy sure it's going to be the LAST and ONLY time I see it too. Um, so, it wasn't for me. The puppetry and visuals were stunning, but by the second song I was needing some earplugs. Maybe the performers were having an off night?? Because...yikes. People were getting up and leaving. I thought about it, but felt like I needed to see it through to the end. As soon as it ended I was up and out of that theater though!!

I had one last fast pass for the night, for Rivers of Light. But I was so exhausted from my long day, 3am is an early wake up call! I decided to skip Rivers of Light for the time being and go back to the resort.

I got back to my room, showered, got into pajamas, called home, watched a little tv, checked in on the Dis, added this little live update to my PTR:

Checking in from AKL...

I am currently in bed (I was up at 3am people, I'm TIRED!) with my curtains open watching a giraffe eat.

Highlights from today:
- elderly lady getting up to use the restroom as we are TWO MINUTES FROM LANDING, causing the flight attendants to freak out (calmly though...if a calm freak out is a thing) and go after her, and our plane had to go back up and circle some more and go to the back of the line for landing time. Everyone was so happy about this, as you can imagine :rolleyes:

- met nice woman from my area (she was supposed to fly out of our airport last night but her flight was cancelled b/c of the flooding, so she ended up on my flight today) also on her first solo trip, and I helped her get to the Magical Express area at MCO (she usually flies into Sanford, but just got her Disney travel agent certification and wanted to try ME for the first time), and forgot to get her contact info. I am so mad at myself! I know her first name and where she's staying, but that is no help.

- met a hilarious swearing grandmother at the bus stop on the way to Animal Kingdom who became my bff on the bus ride and walk into AK

- finally had some zebra domes. joining the fan club.

- forgot my toothbrush AND hairbrush at home.

A few hours in to this trip and it's already so different than normal!! Not sure if the TR will be awesome or super boring yet though, LOL!!

Going to try and stay away from this PTR now...for real!!

Maybe.

Really excited to get my first full day in tomorrow!!

and just enjoyed the view for awhile:

I went to bed SUPER early...I am so thankful for the blackout curtains in the room. I was so tired that I fell asleep almost immediately.
It was a good end to a very long day!

I couldn't wait for my first full park day the following morning!

they're not being very focused right now, and they're kind of driving us up the wall

This is the best description of EXACTLY HOW I FEEL AT WORK RIGHT NOW! ugh! They were even good today but I'm twitching at the end of every day right now.

they know where home is because they know who fed them. I can relate to that!

Oh, that explains it then. I'm a parrot. Cool.

Chapter One Part Two: Animal antics and giraffe overload

So...what you're saying is that this chapter was written especially for me. Got it.

The handlers explained that they could even leave if they wanted to, but the power of the promise of food is quite strong...they know where home is because they know who fed them. I can relate to that!

I so feel this. I suspect this is the only reason Nathan keeps getting up to make me breakfast in the mornings.

They're cute, so I was ok with waiting a bit...because the giraffe payoff was pretty great!

"and I see you too", he (or she) says!!

I loved that this one was stretching up to eat.

Oh dear. Heart melting. Can't wait to see these guys!

and finally, these hysterical old birds hanging out by the side of the road:

I don't know why, but for some reasons these ostriches seem to be the spitting image of the old people who sit in the lobby of my condo building and gossip and complain all day. They're also "old birds."

PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_8022382171_zpsgawqeqgq.jpeg

...looks like the guy in the front of your EE picture isn't doing so hot...

It was my first time seeing the show, if you can believe that. Preetttyy sure it's going to be the LAST and ONLY time I see it too. Um, so, it wasn't for me. The puppetry and visuals were stunning, but by the second song I was needing some earplugs. Maybe the performers were having an off night?? Because...yikes. People were getting up and leaving. I thought about it, but felt like I needed to see it through to the end. As soon as it ended I was up and out of that theater though!!

OH NO! I'm so sad to hear this! This is probably my favourite show at Disney. Maybe not as "favourite" as the night shows, but definitely my favourite daytime show. They do seem to have a "B cast" that's on when the "A cast" is on their days off though, and that group doesn't seem to be nearly as good. But even then I haven't ever seen a horrible show or anything. Maybe they were having a really off day. Or training newbies. Or maybe we just have different taste in terrible shows! (Which I guess I can live with. :P)

Sounds like a pretty productive first day! I'm glad you were able to go for a little while and enjoy yourself! Don't blame you for heading back to the hotel early though. I can't get enough of your balcony view!!

OP, Animal Kingdom has always been our favorite park, too. We love the ambience of each section, and find something unique each trip.
I only hope that the new Pandora and all the visitors won't change the laid back ambience of the park!

Aww the baby deer looks like Bambi all curled up
I love all the up close pics of the TOL really nice.
I can't believe all the times we've visited AK and never noticed the lamps they have so much detail
DD and I really enjoyed Flight of Wonder in March such a great show!
Your pictures are stunning.

He was cute! I wish I could have seen him a little better!

The lights at AK have always been one of my favorite things. There are so many details all over the place, I see something new every time!

Oh, thank you! Sometimes my iPhone camera surprises me and takes some nice photos...which is good since I never seem to remember to bring my good camera!

This is the best description of EXACTLY HOW I FEEL AT WORK RIGHT NOW! ugh! They were even good today but I'm twitching at the end of every day right now.

Oh, that explains it then. I'm a parrot. Cool.

The last few weeks of school are a pain! Kids are checked out, teachers are trying to maintain their sanity, parents are tired...I think they should announce a final day of school and then surprise everyone by ending a month earlier, LOL! Put everyone out of their misery!

Haha!! I'm totally a parrot too!!

So...what you're saying is that this chapter was written especially for me. Got it.

I so feel this. I suspect this is the only reason Nathan keeps getting up to make me breakfast in the mornings.

Oh dear. Heart melting. Can't wait to see these guys!

I don't know why, but for some reasons these ostriches seem to be the spitting image of the old people who sit in the lobby of my condo building and gossip and complain all day. They're also "old birds."

...looks like the guy in the front of your EE picture isn't doing so hot...

OH NO! I'm so sad to hear this! This is probably my favourite show at Disney. Maybe not as "favourite" as the night shows, but definitely my favourite daytime show. They do seem to have a "B cast" that's on when the "A cast" is on their days off though, and that group doesn't seem to be nearly as good. But even then I haven't ever seen a horrible show or anything. Maybe they were having a really off day. Or training newbies. Or maybe we just have different taste in terrible shows! (Which I guess I can live with. :P)

Yep, your own special chapter :-):-)

Haha! I love how many of us are relating to these food bribed birds!!

The giraffes made me so happy!

That's how they looked to me too, and I thought "old birds" was a great description for these fluffy, feathery, ostritchy gals.

Ha! I know! I don't think the Yeti is down there by his shoes...

Nemo was...bad. Like, really bad. Like, I've never seen anything like it in a Disney park and it was kind of shocking. People really were getting up to walk out. It had to have been the Z team, because WOW.

Sounds like a pretty productive first day! I'm glad you were able to go for a little while and enjoy yourself! Don't blame you for heading back to the hotel early though. I can't get enough of your balcony view!!

It was very productive for such a short few hours in the park. I was very pleased with all I was able to do! Crowds were low!
I spent a LOT of time on that balcony!

OP, Animal Kingdom has always been our favorite park, too. We love the ambience of each section, and find something unique each trip.
I only hope that the new Pandora and all the visitors won't change the laid back ambience of the park!

I agree! I love how each section feels completely different and true to itself. I always manage to find something new each trip, too!

Nemo was...bad. Like, really bad. Like, I've never seen anything like it in a Disney park and it was kind of shocking. People really were getting up to walk out. It had to have been the Z team, because WOW.

So sad! But the silver lining here is that you had to sit through the bad for my benefit! I was feeling disappointed that we wouldn't have time to fit this show in on our trip next weekend, but now I may be dodging a bullet if it's going downhill. We'll probably go back and check it out in August so I can find out if your experience was a fluke.

My hometown in Missouri was devastated by flood waters and many homes were lost, businesses destroyed, roads and highways closed.

That's terrible! I'm so sorry about the flooding and the damage it caused. That happens a lot in the Eastern part of Iowa, too!

Although I'm sure it was hard to be happy around the devastation, I think a trip to Disney was just what you needed!

I was lucky to be near the front and could get this shot

Excellent picture of the welcome sign! :thumbsup2

I LOOOVED this wallpaper

I loved it, too! I thought the Animal Kingdom rooms were lovely - I'm glad you liked them, too!

I had pretty good luck with buses when leaving the resort, but not always so much when leaving parks!

That's lucky! I think I'd rather have good luck on my TO a park rather than FROM a park... but maybe not at the end of a long day when I just want to get home!

I stopped to see the flamingoes

What?! When did they put flamingos back into Animal Kingdom? I thought they were all at the Lodge!

I LOVE flamingos so I'll have to look for them on my next visit!

I know many people think this park is boring and consider it a half day park, but I love it so much!

I totally agree! Animal Kingdom grows on me every trip. I've gone there for two park days on each of my last trips and REALLY enjoyed it! :goodvibes

Preetttyy sure it's going to be the LAST and ONLY time I see it too. Um, so, it wasn't for me.

What a bummer! I really like the Finding Nemo show, so that's too bad the performances weren't good! I'm sure you won't be gunning to return, but I highly recommend you give it another shot as it's usually a great show! The songs really get stuck in your head (in a good way!).

Love the giraffes and baby elephant glad you got to find the Yeti
The first pic of Everest with the clouds and boat from ROL in the foreground is stunning.
That's a shame about Nemo
I know what you mean we always have an insanely early flight on arrival day and the need to get to bed early. What a great way to relax and fall asleep with that view.

What a great first solo day, I am with you, love love AK. It is such a beautiful park and we love spending time there. Your room view looks very nice, it is nice to see savanna animals right outside your window!

The ToL pictures are so fun to look at. I love all the carvings as well. You can spend hours looking at that tree.

So sad! But the silver lining here is that you had to sit through the bad for my benefit! I was feeling disappointed that we wouldn't have time to fit this show in on our trip next weekend, but now I may be dodging a bullet if it's going downhill. We'll probably go back and check it out in August so I can find out if your experience was a fluke.

This makes me feel like I just saw a REALLLYY bad showing or something. I've never heard anything about it being terrible before, so I was so taken aback by my experience with it.

A little late into your trip report but I am joining in!

Welcome, welcome!! I'm glad you're here!!

That's terrible! I'm so sorry about the flooding and the damage it caused. That happens a lot in the Eastern part of Iowa, too!

Although I'm sure it was hard to be happy around the devastation, I think a trip to Disney was just what you needed!

Excellent picture of the welcome sign! :thumbsup2

I loved it, too! I thought the Animal Kingdom rooms were lovely - I'm glad you liked them, too!

That's lucky! I think I'd rather have good luck on my TO a park rather than FROM a park... but maybe not at the end of a long day when I just want to get home!

What?! When did they put flamingos back into Animal Kingdom? I thought they were all at the Lodge!

I LOVE flamingos so I'll have to look for them on my next visit!

I totally agree! Animal Kingdom grows on me every trip. I've gone there for two park days on each of my last trips and REALLY enjoyed it! :goodvibes

What a bummer! I really like the Finding Nemo show, so that's too bad the performances weren't good! I'm sure you won't be gunning to return, but I highly recommend you give it another shot as it's usually a great show! The songs really get stuck in your head (in a good way!).

The flooding was a mess, and there are so many people still trying to recover. I'm just so grateful we didn't have any damage or anything that affected us directly.

I was happy to capture the welcome sign again after two trips of later arrivals and being farther back on the bus

Going to the parks was always easy (except MK buses were always standing room only), but coming back was kind of miserable a few times. Particularly in the evenings.

The flamingoes are to the left of the tree of life as you head toward Asia! I didn't know they'd ever removed them, but we don't look for them every trip. I know I didn't pay attention in December, but they were there the previous July.

I might give the nemo show one more try. DH and the kids have not seen it. DH is interested b/c the puppets are so cool looking, but the kids have zero interest for some reason. They're old enough now that they can go do their own thing though, if DH and I went to see the show. I do have the big, blue world song in my head sometimes still!!

Love the giraffes and baby elephant glad you got to find the Yeti
The first pic of Everest with the clouds and boat from ROL in the foreground is stunning.
That's a shame about Nemo
I know what you mean we always have an insanely early flight on arrival day and the need to get to bed early. What a great way to relax and fall asleep with that view.

I was so happy to see the giraffes and elephants! Definitely my favorite animals on the safari...rhinos are another favorite, and I got to see them, too!
Thank you!! That Everest pic is one of my very favorites I've ever taken!
Poor Nemo...it was really rough!
It was the perfect view to end a long and tiring day, for sure!

Welcome!! :dogdance::dogdance:

What a great first solo day, I am with you, love love AK. It is such a beautiful park and we love spending time there. Your room view looks very nice, it is nice to see savanna animals right outside your window!

The ToL pictures are so fun to look at. I love all the carvings as well. You can spend hours looking at that tree.

Hooray for finding another AK fan!! It's just such a spectacular place, I love it so much. The ToL is incredible, and I love finding new animals every time. Everything there is so impressive, in my opinion.

I'm here. :wave2:
Roads and bridges were washed out and closed, including one of the two routes to the airport. My hometown in Missouri was devastated by flood waters and many homes were lost, businesses destroyed, roads and highways closed.
I recall all of the warnings before your departure day. I didn't know you were from MO. I lived in Springfield between 1988-1991. I have several family members in the Waynesville area and several had friends in Devils Elbow loose there homes to flooding, literally floating down the river. Sad spring for them my heart goes out.

We boarded on time and at 6am we were off!
YAY

and got in my line for Animal Kingdom Lodge.
We stayed at AK our last 2 times.....LOVE it.

I couldn't handle it anymore, I had to run over and look at my view!!
How could you wait, first thing I did was run out to the balcony.

ZEBRA DOOOMMMEEESSSS!!
I know right :woohoo: miss them babies.

I joined the fan club. Hard.
Fell hard very hard.

I have to laugh about your Nemo experience because we saw the show once-ONCE. Back in 2011. The boys don't even remember it but Steve and I sure do. It felt incredibly long and as you said, the puppetry is great and it's so colorful but the singing..... Oy. So maybe not just a bad performance you caught? Or maybe the 3 onus have very sensitive ears??

I love your first solo day!!

The title comes into play because we experienced near historic rainfall in the days leading up to my departure. Roads and bridges were washed out and closed, including one of the two routes to the airport. My hometown in Missouri was devastated by flood waters and many homes were lost, businesses destroyed, roads and highways closed. It's going to take a long time to put things back together. Here, people were a bit more lucky, but many families still lost homes and property.
Our daughter lives in the St. Louis area, just north of some of the worst flooding and she had a lot of closed roads to deal with. I would have been scared about making it to Florida, too. The flooding was terrible. :(

I checked the MDE app and saw my room number had been assigned, so when I got off the bus I double checked with the desk that I was good to get into my room and headed on up.
It sounds like you didn't get a room text.

I love your room at AKL, espcially the wallpaper. I would love to be able to watch the animals from the balcony.

A tour of my room...2453 on the zebra trail, Uzima savanna view.

We were 2550! And it was a little maze like to get there.

Maybe the performers were having an off night?? Because...yikes. People were getting up and leaving. I thought about it, but felt like I needed to see it through to the end. As soon as it ended I was up and out of that theater though!!

Yikes!

They moved away and I walked over to see what was so exciting:

Womp womp :rotfl2:

giphy.gif

I wanted to make my way out toward brighter things, and was soon rewarded.

I looooooooove the ToL!! It's so beautiful and photogenic!

Animal Kingdom is my favorite park for details. I know many people think this park is boring and consider it a half day park, but I love it so much! I probably write this in every trip or pre-trip report I write, but in my opinion, nothing comes close to Animal Kingdom in terms of theme. It is perfection!

Saaaamsies. I used to not like DAK much but I have grown to love it more and more the older I get. Aesthetically I think it's the MOST beautiful of all the parks!

I love Giraffes, they are the cutest :goodvibes They got pretty close on our safari too!

I was desperate to embark on my journey up the mountain. I could hear the call of the yeti and I was determined to find him!

Yaaass! I love Expedition Everest! Jacob loved every ride in WDW EXCEPT this one. I was so sad because I love it! He didn't like the backwards part...it IS pretty intense. Oh well, can't win them all I guess :sad2:

Yeah I am with you on this. Both times I have tried to watch it, I dozed off. I wanted to love it but I was just very underwhelmed. Maybe I am just going at the wrong times? :confused3 I know so many people who love it but I just...didn't. I think we are in the minority though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter