No room cleaning?

Bryu5

Earning My Ears
Howdy,

We are at the Poly, regular resort room. It’s very nice but, no room cleaning, just replacing towels and removing garbage every other day, a bit more than Boulder Ridge last spring - we paid 3x the price vs. renting points.

We called after the “cleaning” wondering if our room was going to be cleaned, and nope! Could have used this $$ on a Cruise, Disney Land, or Universal. Are they actually cleaning rooms there?

They only clean if you have a stay longer than 10 days and when you check out. We stayed at the Poly in November. We did have trash/towel service every day instead of every other day, but I don't know if that was normal or just a fluke. We didn't have any cleaning though.

Howdy,

We are at the Poly, regular resort room. It’s very nice but, no room cleaning, just replacing towels and removing garbage every other day, a bit more than Boulder Ridge last spring - we paid 3x the price vs. renting points.

We called after the “cleaning” wondering if our room was going to be cleaned, and nope! Could have used this $$ on a Cruise, Disney Land, or Universal. Are they actually cleaning rooms there?

Pretty sure there's a laminated display type thing in every room explaining what their "light cleaning" is.

Disney is just taking the trash and replacing the towels every other day. Universal is at least making the beds which Disney isn’t doing.
When my family stayed at the Royal Pacific in Universal back in November it seemed like our room was being cleaned every day. (BTW, I love that place.)

Actually, my family stayed at a random Best Western in God-Forsaken-Coastal-South-Eastern, Alabama for several days around Christmas. The room was cleaned every day except for Christmas Day because the housekeepers had the day off. And earlier in November, I stayed at the Omni Orlando resort, and yes, my room was cleaned every single day.

But the Mouse can't handle it.... For shame, Mouse, for shame.

Howdy,

How much "cleaning" are you expecting? If you want to base your vacation on if they are making your bed every day, that is your business. But, the changes due to covid have been in effect for many months.

I know they are cleaning staterooms on DCL, but I do not know about the others you listed.

Personally, we tidy up the bed/room and they take the garbage most every day. As long as we have clean towels (they will usually take the dirty towels if they are on the floor of the shower/bathtub when they get the garbage) then we are good to go.

I am not sure if they are doing a full service room clean on the CL rooms everyday.

This reminds me of the advent of please reuse your towels so we can save money on laundry to save the environment. With Covid as the justification, they are able to cut back on services without reducing prices. Mark my word, they will still be doing "light cleaning" after COVID as crisis is far in the rear view mirror.

They only clean if you have a stay longer than 10 days and when you check out. We stayed at the Poly in November. We did have trash/towel service every day instead of every other day, but I don't know if that was normal or just a fluke. We didn't have any cleaning though.
We also stayed at Poly in November and didn't even get trash and towels! I guess you got ours:D It was the lack of replacement coffee that really got to me.

I am another person who does not like having people in my room on vacation. I always bring my own small box of trash bags to remove garbage myself. I always make my bed any way. I am good with replacing towels every other day. I don't even mind washing the towels if I have a bit of laundry.

Howdy,

From the website:

Housekeeping
Prior to your arrival, your room will undergo thorough cleaning—with attention to:

• High-touch areas, like TV remotes and door handles
  • Housekeeping tools will be cleaned between rooms
  • Floors, which will be steam cleaned and vacuumed between Guests
Inside your room, you’ll find:

• Individually wrapped glassware
  • Additional items that have been cleaned, sealed or wrapped in single-use packaging
And during your stay, your room will receive a light cleaning service every other day, which will include:

• Removal of trash and used towels
  • Replenishment of towels and amenities throughout the room and bathroom
  • Wiping and cleaning of the vanity and counter surfaces
  • Vacuuming if needed
You can also decline every-other-day service.

I'm really sorry you were disappointed, but this info has been available on there since the resorts reopened in 2020. In fairness, it's been inconsistent from resort to resort in practice, but on the whole mousekeeping is very limited right now.

Agree that for the prices they charge for deluxe hotels it stings to have full housekeeping removed. Sure I can make my own bed and take out my own trash, but it feels special to not have to do that on vacation. For some of us that are cleaning all the time, taking a “cleaning break” is part of the feeling of being on vacation.

Also mousekeeping must not be getting the tips they used to which I’m sure they feel in their pocket. I really feel for them.

I’m not clear on why this hasn’t returned since ‘do not disturb’ signs can be used for families who don’t want anyone in their room. And of all the cast members - mousekeeping is not as customer facing as other roles that interact with guests all the time. So I really don’t get it.

It’s highway robbery if you think about it and certainly not pro labor.

Such a high $$$ rate should include housekeeping. If not included, drop the rate.

That’s why they lost my deluxe business and I’ve been staying in cheaper rooms. Made the beds myself, found extra coffee stirrers at QS when mine ran out and I noticed housekeeping wouldn’t touch the coffee area in my room so I was never getting new stirrers (I mean how petty can Disney be?) and we still tipped housekeeping for what little they were allowed to do.

It’s just. Petty.

I think expectations on this depends where you are (in the US). No housekeeping is definitely still the norm in the northeast. We've stayed in hotels in 4 different states in the past year, no regular housekeeping in any of them.

I think the only one where I had regular housekeeping was because the vacancy rate was so high they could handle the load with their smallish housekeeping staff (the midtown hilton).

This has been in place since reopening.
Its in part due to reduced CM's and part due to wanting to limit exposure.
This is something you should have made yourself aware of prior to going.
Also as a PP said there should be something in the room discussing it. There certainly was at Poly in a standard room in August.

We just returned from a 4 night stay at Grand Floridian (Main building) and we had daily cleaning- beds were made, too.
We stayed at the Grand Californian CL in August and they made our room up daily and still did turndown service. I believe they are doing daily full housekeeping at (all?) CL rooms on property in DW. I have an upcoming stay at AKL CL and am truly hoping for it.
My husband is the type of person who destroys the tucked in nature of a hotel bed within 5 minutes of falling asleep. After a long hot day at the parks, it's nice to come back to a remade bed without me having to struggle to do it the "hotel" way. At home we use a fitted sheet and our duvet is easily pulled back in place without special folds and blankets wrapped inside sheets. It's not a huge thing, but our 8 night stay (cash) at Riviera was disappointing that the beds weren't made a single time.
I go on vacation to not have to do chores I do at home, and get the luxury of clean towels without me having to wash them daily. :)

Agree that for the prices they charge for deluxe hotels it stings to have full housekeeping removed. Sure I can make my own bed and take out my own trash, but it feels special to not have to do that on vacation. For some of us that are cleaning all the time, taking a “cleaning break” is part of the feeling of being on vacation.

Also mousekeeping must not be getting the tips they used to which I’m sure they feel in their pocket. I really feel for them.

I’m not clear on why this hasn’t returned since ‘do not disturb’ signs can be used for families who don’t want anyone in their room. And of all the cast members - mousekeeping is not as customer facing as other roles that interact with guests all the time. So I really don’t get it.

It’s highway robbery if you think about it and certainly not pro labor.

Such a high $$$ rate should include housekeeping. If not included, drop the rate.

That’s why they lost my deluxe business and I’ve been staying in cheaper rooms. Made the beds myself, found extra coffee stirrers at QS when mine ran out and I noticed housekeeping wouldn’t touch the coffee area in my room so I was never getting new stirrers (I mean how petty can Disney be?) and we still tipped housekeeping for what little they were allowed to do.

It’s just. Petty.
Drop the rate. LOL How will Chapek and Iger get their 32+ and 46+ million dollar saleries.

I think expectations on this depends where you are (in the US). No housekeeping is definitely still the norm in the northeast. We've stayed in hotels in 4 different states in the past year, no regular housekeeping in any of them.
Norm on the West Coast too, we've stayed up and down it all last year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter