• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No singing for you!

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
https://www.usatoday.com/story/ente...-delta-flight-grammy-nominations/71565659007/

If you haven't heard, Gospel singer starts singing on an airplane (I guess before they left the gate) to "celebrate" the group she's in being nominated for a Grammy. FA tells her to be quiet and sit down and threatens to throw her off the flight if she doesn't comply.

Thoughts?

I've seen videos of others singing on planes and basically being celebrated. Why not this lady? Was she singing during the safety briefing (that would be a BIG no-no)? I feel like we're missing part of the story.

I guess it depends upon what you like to listen to while trapped in a metal tube high above the earth. She (as an individual) is not "famous" She's part of a larger gospel group that was indeed nominated for an award. I wear noise cancelling headphones on any flight, but I do think it takes a certain type of special to believe you can force those around you to listen to your singing. I think once a flight attendant approaches you, asks you to stop, you do it!! Why do people think it's ok to disregard in flight instructions?

I guess it depends upon what you like to listen to while trapped in a metal tube high above the earth. She (as an individual) is not "famous" She's part of a larger gospel group that was indeed nominated for an award. I wear noise cancelling headphones on any flight, but I do think it takes a certain type of special to believe you can force those around you to listen to your singing. I think once a flight attendant approaches you, asks you to stop, you do it!! Why do people think it's ok to disregard in flight instructions?
I totally agree with you. The only reason I'm SLIGHTLY on the singers side is other people on other flights have been allowed to sing with no backlash.

This one looks a little staged...

My honest guess is the gospel lady thought she'd get her "15 minutes of fame", which I guess she did, but not for the reason she was hoping for.

One of the last things I want on a flight is to hear passengers singing. Flying is stressful enough now. It's also a safety issue. The cabin crew needs to be able to communicate in the event of an emergency. Save the singing for the shower at home.

Such a tantalizing click-bait article and thread tbh … another polarizing discussion about stuff …

On the topic itself - what was done is done and good on her for trying to stretch those 15 minutes of fame (or for whatever the stated reason is) - not like we aren’t affronted daily by others in the public eye try and stretch their celebrity well beyond their time to sit down and be quiet already …

FA saw an attention hog and stopped that nonsense, give the man an accommodation.

OMAAT had a story on it here and my favorite part was the follow up where Delta executives reached out to her to apologize and they're also fans of hers! … Uh-huh, Delta executives totally called her and apologized that she didn't follow flight crew instructions and are definitely fans of this person nobody has ever heard of!

Such a tantalizing click-bait article and thread tbh … another polarizing discussion about stuff …
Sorry, don't understand. Yes, I posted to prompt a discussion. I mean isn't that what a DISCUSSION board is for?

Of course, you're free to skip anything you don't want to discuss, but nope...
On the topic itself - what was done is done and good on her for trying to stretch those 15 minutes of fame (or for whatever the stated reason is) - not like we aren’t affronted daily by others in the public eye try and stretch their celebrity well beyond their time to sit down and be quiet already …

Sorry, don't understand. Yes, I posted to prompt a discussion. I mean isn't that what a DISCUSSION board is for?

Of course, you're free to skip anything you don't want to discuss, but nope...
Awwwww … but you asked for thoughts - aren’t we ALLOWED to EXPRESS our thoughts -

This is one of those things that sometimes works and sometimes does not. It cannot be forced.

Maybe a plane full of people going to Orlando on a 11am flight wouldn’t mind someone singing.

I’m pretty sure nobody would’ve appreciated singing on our 10pm flight out of LAX to NYC.

I totally agree with you. The only reason I'm SLIGHTLY on the singers side is other people on other flights have been allowed to sing with no backlash.

My honest guess is the gospel lady thought she'd get her "15 minutes of fame", which I guess she did, but not for the reason she was hoping for.
I guess after looking at these, the one difference I can see, is that the groups in these videos didn't try to "preach" or name drop. They were also singing some commonly known songs. Actually, being on the flight with the Lion King group would've been a dream!

These are a handful of videos where singing was successful over the millions of flights going on each year. These are more the exceptions where the stars aligned and passengers shared a collective spirit. Public airplane doesn’t seem a good place to force it. FA are tasked with making flight comfortable for everyone which also helps make it safer for everyone.

These are a handful of videos where singing was successful over the millions of flights going on each year. These are more the exceptions where the stars aligned and passengers shared a collective spirit. Public airplane doesn’t seem a good place to force it. FA are tasked with making flight comfortable for everyone which also helps make it safer for everyone.
I don't think you can compare "millions of flights" though. How many of those millions was there singing on?

If there were 100 'singing' flights, and this lady was the ONLY one not allowed, that makes me a little iffy on it.

That being said, I do think if an FA tells you to do something, you need to do it. Argue discrimination or whatever later.

I don't think you can compare "millions of flights" though. How many of those millions was there singing on?

If there were 100 'singing' flights, and this lady was the ONLY one not allowed, that makes me a little iffy on it.

That being said, I do think if an FA tells you to do something, you need to do it. Argue discrimination or whatever later.
There is a big difference between a brief rendition of happy birthday and a gospel singer spreading the word.
It's too bad she didn't think to text friends and family about how thrilled she was with her Grammy news.
And yes, the vast majority of us follow the directions of flight attendants.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter