No sugar free on property?

DeeCee735

"How Do You Know of the Key?"
As Disney seems to cater to dietary restrictions, we have yet to find any place on property that offers sugar, free, desserts. My husband watches his sugar carefully and cannot, and has not been able to find a sugar-free dessert anywhere on property. I find that surprising since Disney seems to cater to dietary needs. Has anyone come across a place on property that offers sugar-free desserts? If so, please let me know. Thank you.

Dee

Thanks. He isn’t diabetic, just doesn’t want to be. And this seems like a big effort considering sugar free seems to be anywhere else except Disney. I would say I am surprised, but right now I am not. Just disappointed for him and in Disney for the lack of option, as it is a pretty common thing elsewhere. Thanks for the info.

My mom has had a number of sugar free options. Not every restaurant has them. I looked up a few places I was sure she had something sugar free and came up with 2 different options below. I don't have time to look through all menus, but you can always look up all menus ahead of time to choose those that might work.

Kona Cafe:
Cheesecake Dessert Glassa no sugar added dessert, with seasonal fruit and topped with fruit sauce$5.00

Main Street Ice Cream Parlor (Plaza Ice Cream):
Flavors available - Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry, Mint Chocolate-Chip, Cookies 'n Cream, No Sugar Added Raspberry Sorbet, and Fat-Free, No Sugar Added Chocolate-Vanilla Swirl

Disney usually does a great job with making sure everyone is included. Just let the waitress know and they usually try to find something. I have had many no sugar and no sugar added desserts at many restaurants at the world. I think buffet style ones have the most options.

Thanks. He isn’t diabetic, just doesn’t want to be. And this seems like a big effort considering sugar free seems to be anywhere else except Disney. I would say I am surprised, but right now I am not. Just disappointed for him and in Disney for the lack of option, as it is a pretty common thing elsewhere. Thanks for the info.
Whether diabetic or not, the link that @NYCgrrl gave you has a list of sugar free or no sugar added desserts. By far the most common reason someone would be looking for sugar free is due to diabetes and would be where I would start looking everyplace.

Whether diabetic or not, the link that @NYCgrrl gave you has a list of sugar free or no sugar added desserts. By far the most common reason someone would be looking for sugar free is due to diabetes and would be where I would start looking everyplace.
Plan on checking it out for my DH thanks. He watches to avoid going into those numbers and keep his weight down. Appreciate the info.

Dee

My mom has had a number of sugar free options. Not every restaurant has them. I looked up a few places I was sure she had something sugar free and came up with 2 different options below. I don't have time to look through all menus, but you can always look up all menus ahead of time to choose those that might work.

Kona Cafe:
Cheesecake Dessert Glassa no sugar added dessert, with seasonal fruit and topped with fruit sauce$5.00

Main Street Ice Cream Parlor (Plaza Ice Cream):
Flavors available - Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry, Mint Chocolate-Chip, Cookies 'n Cream, No Sugar Added Raspberry Sorbet, and Fat-Free, No Sugar Added Chocolate-Vanilla Swirl
FYI - we ate at the Plaza last week. My dad (who is diabetic) asked about the sugar free ice cream and they said they discontinued it. I think they still have the sorbet, but no longer have the sugar free ice cream which is unfortunate.

I often travel with a friend who is diabetic and it's a struggle to find sugar free desserts in WDW. Usually the server doesn't know if they have anything, goes to check and comes back with a sugar free sorbet or nothing. When there are so many people with diabetes, it seems strange that WDW has options for gluten-free, allergies, etc, but not for diabetics. Especially when it's a prix fixe menu that includes dessert.

I often travel with a friend who is diabetic and it's a struggle to find sugar free desserts in WDW. Usually the server doesn't know if they have anything, goes to check and comes back with a sugar free sorbet or nothing. When there are so many people with diabetes, it seems strange that WDW has options for gluten-free, allergies, etc, but not for diabetics. Especially when it's a prix fixe menu that includes dessert.
Agreed

I recently contacted Disney on this same subject. After various generic responses from Special Dietary Needs (they basically tell you to just ask at the restaurant and most will be able to accommodate your request which is not true from experience) I ask to have my emails forwarded to a member of the Executive team as I was tired of their generic responses. I did receive a call back and had a lengthy discussion regarding basically their non-existent choices for the more than half a billion people globally suffering from diabetes who may visit Walt Disney World. The individual did do some research prior to calling me and agreed there are limited choices for someone with diabetes who may want to join their family and have a no sugar added dessert on their trip. They said it will be discussed with leadership and their restaurant partners. Hopefully they do. The more people who contact Disney on this subject the better.

Gluten free dessert choices have also been pretty poor since the pandemic. Most of the times it’s fruit, sorbet, or sometimes a creme brulee. They were much better before.
There used to be a sugar free crème puff with raspberry (that was also GF) at Be Our Guest, but that’s gone too.

I'm seeing 2 different concepts discussed here, and some folks may not realize there can be a huge difference between "sugar-free" and "no added sugar." The terms should not be used interchangeably. It really depends on the food. But I will agree it can be hard to find actual "sugar-free" dessert options most places.

I'm seeing 2 different concepts discussed here, and some folks may not realize there can be a huge difference between "sugar-free" and "no added sugar." The terms should not be used interchangeably. It really depends on the food. But I will agree it can be hard to find actual "sugar-free" dessert options most places.
Very true. No sugar added doesn’t mean much when there exists a sugar content if you are diabetic.

I think the point individuals are trying to make here is Disney’s failure to recognize the dietary needs of diabetics as one of their special dietary requests, yet cater to every other dietary need. Whether it be a “no sugar added or sugar free” item depends on what fits into their personal diabetic dietary plan per their doctor or dietitian. Hopefully Disney will make some changes in the near future.

I think the point individuals are trying to make here is Disney’s failure to recognize the dietary needs of diabetics as one of their special dietary requests, yet cater to every other dietary need. Whether it be a “no sugar added or sugar free” item depends on what fits into their personal diabetic dietary plan per their doctor or dietitian. Hopefully Disney will make some changes in the near future.
Exactly. Thank you, well said. Even though my husband and I are not diabetic we do watch sugar intake to avoid our numbers going up.
Par for the course…

Dee

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter