No Thank You Dear, I Would Not Like A Dishwasher For My Birthday~

I love these gift threads. Let's see in the past decade DW and I have been married gifts have included:

Ceiling Fan - Mother's Day
Wheelbarrow - Father's Day
Stove - My Birthday
Dishwasher - DW's Birthday

...the list could go on. Guess we're terrible people. :confused3

No need to be defensive, I don't think anyone here cares what other couples choose to give as gifts. For me, I don't want a major appliance given to me as a gift since its not for me, it is for the family and or house.

I would LOVE a dishwasher for my birthday! I have been without one for almost 10 years.

Send your DH my way, please!

My DH would never think that an appliance would be a nice birthday present. The day ours broke a repair call would have been put in or we would be out shopping for a new dishwasher the first day possible. DH would be washing the dishes until the new dishwasher arrived or the old one was repaired. I would dry and put away.

A present is something special for that person not an appliance for the house or a bowling ball with "Homer" engraved on it.

My dh got me a dishwasher for my birthday several years ago.....I thought it was totally the sweetest thing! Really??? I don't understand NOT wanting one for your birthday! It is an awesome thought of your dh to see what a pain washing dishes is.......I will get myself a manicure, thanks.......

I am so practical. I would definately be okay with a dishwasher for my birthday. One year everyone gave me gift cards to Home Depot for Christmas so I could pick out my own fridge. I had no problem with that. I got a much nicer fridge than I would have bought. :)

My dh got me a dishwasher for my birthday several years ago.....I thought it was totally the sweetest thing! Really??? I don't understand NOT wanting one for your birthday! It is an awesome thought of your dh to see what a pain washing dishes is.......I will get myself a manicure, thanks.......

Dishwashing is not "mine." We all eat. We are all responsible for dealing with the mess. We all have opposable thumbs. People with my type of reproductive organs do not by default own the chore of dishwashing. Why would a tool for performing a basic household duty be a gift for ME? It is not "the sweetest thing ever" to have somebody tell you via a gift that they consider you to be the maid.

Dishwashing is not "mine." We all eat. We are all responsible for dealing with the mess. We all have opposable thumbs. People with my type of reproductive organs do not by default own the chore of dishwashing. Why would a tool for performing a basic household duty be a gift for ME? It is not "the sweetest thing ever" to have somebody tell you via a gift that they consider you to be the maid.

There are 4 of us to do dishes in my house (well, DH and I wash, the boys put away). However, that still means that for 1/2 the year, it's my turn to wash (until my boys are taller...then I only have to wash about 92 days out of the year. But still..that's 3 months!!!!

I would take it in a heartbeat for a gift for my birthday...saves me 3 months worth of work (or 6 months at this point!!)

There are 4 of us to do dishes in my house (well, DH and I wash, the boys put away). However, that still means that for 1/2 the year, it's my turn to wash (until my boys are taller...then I only have to wash about 92 days out of the year. But still..that's 3 months!!!!

I would take it in a heartbeat for a gift for my birthday...saves me 3 months worth of work (or 6 months at this point!!)

So then it's a gift from your husband to himself, because using that logic, he's doing the dishes half the year.

So when DW gets me power tools, or a wheelbarrow, am I allowed to tell her that she is pressing me into gender-specific roles?

Maybe, in certain households, the chores are split up. In our house, since I arrive home first, I do the cooking, and then DW does the dishes. So, yes, a dishwasher, which would help her out, would be seen as a wonderful gift...the same as a new stove/oven would be viewed by myself.

Not sure how a gift can suddenly become a symbol for the oppression of an entire gender. :confused3

We make a big deal about the birthday person feeling special. The kids were almost as excited for the birthday person, and getting caught up in the celebration, as they were for their own birthdays. It's the celebration and having my family together in a rushed world that's important to me, especially now that we've got two kids on their own and one away at college.

We always saved the big purchases for each other or both of us for a birthday or Christmas. I requested and got a Dyson one Christmas. Also, a dishwasher another Christmas many years ago. Without purchases like that, i don't know what we'd give each other anyway. :confused3 Just not into stuff like jewelry, and...??

We make a big deal about the birthday person feeling special. The kids were almost as excited for the birthday person, and getting caught up in the celebration, as they were for their own birthdays. It's the celebration and having my family together in a rushed world that's important to me, especially now that we've got two kids on their own and one away at college.

We always saved the big purchases for each other or both of us for a birthday or Christmas. I requested and got a Dyson one Christmas. Also, a dishwasher another Christmas many years ago. Without purchases like that, i don't know what we'd give each other anyway. :confused3 Just not into stuff like jewelry, and...??
And let me just mention...DH uses the Dyson a whole heck of a lot more than I do (I HATE to vacuum). And I joked that I didn't feel much different having a dishwasher because HE did the dishes most of the time. But, it made me feel good that housework was easier on him. :laughing: And his requests for this coming Christmas? As usual...some kitchen items (pans). Great cook!

So when DW gets me power tools, or a wheelbarrow, am I allowed to tell her that she is pressing me into gender-specific roles?

Maybe, in certain households, the chores are split up. In our house, since I arrive home first, I do the cooking, and then DW does the dishes. So, yes, a dishwasher, which would help her out, would be seen as a wonderful gift...the same as a new stove/oven would be viewed by myself.

Not sure how a gift can suddenly become a symbol for the oppression of an entire gender. :confused3
A) You're a guy? And B) I love power tools, but wouldn't request them. I just use his. Although, I do have a barbara k tool kit, and my dad gave me a saw with an engraved handle when I was little. :teeth:

A) You're a guy? And B) I love power tools, but wouldn't request them. I just use his. Although, I do have a barbara k tool kit, and my dad gave me a saw with an engraved handle when I was little. :teeth:

:rotfl: Yes, I'm one of the few guys around the DIS.

Sounds like I'm a lot like your DH. We did the Dyson Christmas 2 years ago, and I love to use it, and I also love getting new things for my cooking repertoire! :thumbsup2

I feel the same way.

Now if there were budgetary issues that prevented both I would rather us purchase a dishwasher and me not get a present.

I have to agree that I would not think a dishwasher is the sweetest thing ever. I am more than a dish washer, I actually have interests, hobbies and things I love to do. If you want to get me the sweetest thing ever, get me something that goes with one of those things. DO NOT get me a household appliance because I have to the dishes and it would help me out with the household duties.a

I would take a pool boy though :rolleyes1

I don't mind some practical things for birthdays and holidays, but a household appliance used by everyone isn't something I'd like as a gift just to me. Santa always brings me my favorite soap, chapstick, and lots of pens. I totally love that and appreciate it. We bought ourselves a TV once as a joint gift to each other. DH got me a waffle iron for our first Christmas together because HE liked waffles, and hoped I'd make them for him. Not impressed with that "gift."

It is sweet to me.....my dh actually is out of town all week, so I am the dishwasher because he is not available to wash them! I am glad you all have the pampered life you are looking for......I do not. A dishwasher saves me time, and a whole lot of work. So, excuse me for thinking that my dear husband is sweet. Continue on in your lovely world people........

It is sweet to me.....my dh actually is out of town all week, so I am the dishwasher because he is not available to wash them! I am glad you all have the pampered life you are looking for......I do not. A dishwasher saves me time, and a whole lot of work. So, excuse me for thinking that my dear husband is sweet. Continue on in your lovely world people........

Take a chill pill. Its great that you think its a sweet gift for you, I don't happen to feel the same way for me.

The pampered life we are looking for? WTH does that even mean?

I am glad you all have the pampered life you are looking for......I do not. A dishwasher saves me time, and a whole lot of work. .

Who said anything about having a pampered life? :lmao: I work full time out of the home, have two kids, spend most evenings schlepping one of them to lessons, practice or other activities while dh takes the other one, supervising homework, doing volunteer work, etc. I don't get five minutes to myself and have never had a manicure in my life.

A dishwasher saves time and work, no doubt, but it saves time and work for the entire family, not just for me. Thus it would not be a "gift" for me.

I got recessed lights for the basement for Christmas last year. I'm not complaining because they were on my list. Of course they're still sitting in the boxes so this year I think that I'll put "install lights" on my list.

Honestly, I was disappointed this year for my birthday. DH asked me what I wanted and I said crown molding for the dining room. I got something else. I guess he didn't want to have to install that either. ;)

If my dishwasher stopped working, I'd be thrilled with a new one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter