No the Magic isn’t gone but it’s at 25%

Because the dining plan makes money. I don't see why they couldn't offer it 60 days out or something and hike the price, like everything else, if inflation is the problem.

This is one of the ones I don't get not coming back, like BBB, which prints money.
It probably does. I can’t figure out the people that want it back because they it’s saving them money. It’s more of a convenience than anything.

It probably does. I can’t figure out the people that want it back because they it’s saving them money. It’s more of a convenience than anything.
I saw a few really good uses, like eating for two days on a one night split stay. But everyone else seems to be crunching spreadsheets to "save" $20 while jamming down another $8 cupcake.

My guess is it was a pain to run it and caused too many customer service issues. It had so many rules, and ADRs are a disaster right now.

I was one who enjoyed the dining plan and in some ways wish it would come back - if they offer free dining. It's not a cost effective option if I need to pay full price for it but, was worth it when it was free. Yes, people will say it wasn't 'free' as I was paying full price for my room but even a room discount at a value resort in no way compensates for what we pay for food. Free dining was a savings for our family.

But, if it doesn't come back I'm okay with that too as we've done 2 trips without the dining plan and manage fine. It's Disney that loses out as we share far more meals, eat less and rarely do TS dining. We win as we have more time and also don't walk around the parks full. What we miss the most is the snack credits for cold drinks and snacks.

Because the dining plan makes money. I don't see why they couldn't offer it 60 days out or something and hike the price, like everything else, if inflation is the problem.

This is one of the ones I don't get not coming back, like BBB, which prints money.

But it doesn't make money (or more precisely, it makes less than it would without it). Not when there's a limited product (TS res) people will pay anything to buy.

Dining plan buyers were majority value-focused. Disney doesn't want that.

They want their TS reservations to be focused on high cash price/ money is no object patrons. They want value patrons to stick to CS, lounges, or bringing their own food and not clogging up their cash cow TS places...

And this doesn't get into the dining plan extra costs (over cash/credit transactions) - training needed for every employee, the tech needed to upkeep it, the CS personnel needed to handle screw ups, etc - all at costs to Disney...

Last edited:

But it doesn't make money (or more precisely, it makes less than it would without it). Not when there's a limited product (TS res) people will pay anything to buy.
There's a price at which it makes money. Disney has decided not to offer it, even at that price, which I agree is about the screw ups and admin issues from it.

I was one who enjoyed the dining plan and in some ways wish it would come back - if they offer free dining. It's not a cost effective option if I need to pay full price for it but, was worth it when it was free. Yes, people will say it wasn't 'free' as I was paying full price for my room but even a room discount at a value resort in no way compensates for what we pay for food. Free dining was a savings for our family.

But, if it doesn't come back I'm okay with that too as we've done 2 trips without the dining plan and manage fine. It's Disney that loses out as we share far more meals, eat less and rarely do TS dining. We win as we have more time and also don't walk around the parks full. What we miss the most is the snack credits for cold drinks and snacks.
Free dining was never free. You had to pay rack rate to get free dining instead of taking the room discount.

I’m sure it was. And you are fortunate to be able to do that. If I chose to do so, I could afford the genie plus tickets too. But a lot of people save a long time just to afford the park tickets for themselves and their children. And their experience has been made much worse because you are paying to get in line first. Perhaps more than once for the same ride. Disney never used to be that way. It was an experience for everyone. And I think it’s the worse for it.

I agree. I loathe that they are now charging for the G+ system. However, I can't change that. It is what it is.

I find it hard to believe that someone could scrape together the $109 to $159 for park tickets, but then couldn't go a little further and add the $16 per person.

This is our personal viewpoint, but there is no way that I'm going to spend many thousands of dollars on my WDW vacation, and then cut myself off at the ankles by not purchasing the G+ system. We did the "standby only" vacation last summer when there was no FP+ or G+ available. We will never do that experience again. We walked away feeling like we lost about 25%-30% of the value of our vacation because we did far less attractions due to standing in long lines all day long. We also had to get up super early to try and beat the crowds to ONE headliner before the crowds built. We didn't have nearly as much time to browse the shops, enjoy the park atmosphere, grab a snack, etc. G+ brought back the enjoyment of the parks for us.

I've resigned myself to considering G+ as just one of the other overall costs of the vacation, like food, flights, tickets, resort...

Due to the added cost of G+, we had to reduce our number of days from our typical 10, to 8. ...and we removed park hoppers. That stings. Even so, it was a FAR superior vacation for us this year with G+ than last year without. That's just our experience. Your mileage may vary.

Dan

Yeah, free dining was amazing. It's part of what got us hooked on WDW back in 2010. It WAY outsaved any room discount we would have had (staying value or moderate) I don't see FD coming back unless the economy tanks enough that Disney would need to entice guests back to spend their discretionary income on WDW.

The sit down meals are integral to our vacation, and that all started with the free dining offers that we had from 2010 - 2015. We got to experience some amazing meals that I'm not willing to pay out of pocket for anymore.

I find it hard to believe that someone could scrape together the $109 to $159 for park tickets, but then couldn't go a little further and add the $16 per person.
It's a per day per person charge. Also ILL is variable in cost and is also a per person per day charge.

For example's sake if you bought Genie+ for a family of 4 today for DHS that's $60. Let's say everyone wants to ride Rise, ILL shows $15 at the moment so that's another $60. So for 1 day you've now increased your costs by $120. Let's say you get the max 2 ILL and for example's sake we'll keep it at $15 as well so now for 1 day you've increased your costs by $180. Although ILL can be variable (I saw FOP was $11 although we know it can also be more than $15) the point should still stand. Now add that up by multiple days.

Thinking "what's a wee bit more" is not a judgement one should make, everyone's situation is different.

It's a per day per person charge. Also ILL is variable in cost and is also a per person per day charge.

For example's sake if you bought Genie+ for a family of 4 today for DHS that's $60. Let's say everyone wants to ride Rise, ILL shows $15 at the moment so that's another $60. So for 1 day you've now increased your costs by $120. Let's say you get the max 2 ILL and for example's sake we'll keep it at $15 as well so now for 1 day you've increased your costs by $180. Although ILL can be variable (I saw FOP was $11 although we know it can also be more than $15) the point should still stand. Now add that up by multiple days.

Thinking "what's a wee bit more" is not a judgement one should make, everyone's situation is different.
Plus a large portion of Disney guests are families, making that a bigger issue for many.

People said the same about the addition of resort parking charges. It’s such a small amount…… per day.

Same for removal of DME. It’s not that much! But it’s per guest each direction.

Layer that with increases in food and snack prices. It’s not that much! I’m tired of hearing about individual changes not mattering. If you can afford Disney you can afford whatever increase is thrown out. Problem is there are so many. And they are coming way too fast.

I didn't judge anyone or anything so please don't put words in my mouth.

I didn't say anything about $ILL either. We didn't purchase $ILL. We had to draw the line somewhere. It's a step too far for us. Can't justify it. G+ and $ILL are both money grabs by Disney but $ILL seems even more egregious.

My point is that G+ was well worth the cost for our trip this year. I can't stand paying for it, but we simply won't visit WDW without a system like G+ in place. I'm not saying Disney should have done this. I'm saying it made a huge positive impact on our trip versus not having it.

Plus a large portion of Disney guests are families, making that a bigger issue for many.

People said the same about the addition of resort parking charges. It’s such a small amount…… per day.

Same for removal of DME. It’s not that much! But it’s per guest each direction.

Layer that with increases in food and snack prices. It’s not that much! I’m tired of hearing about individual changes not mattering. If you can afford Disney you can afford whatever increase is thrown out. Problem is there are so many. And they are coming way too fast.

We're a family of 5 and prepaid G+ for every day of our trip. It's actually more like $16 per person per day with tax included, not $15 so our total was more like $640 for our 8 nights.

If you were to see all my other posts, you'll see how much I complain about the added cost this year, both for G+ and lack of DME. (That added another $160 for sunshine flyer). Our trip this year (for a system that is WORSE than FP+) was $800 more expensive than just a couple of years ago. 🤮 🤮

It is what it is though. I can complain about it, and do, but it's the nature of WDW now. Either pay or don't, up to you to decide.

Dan

I didn't judge anyone or anything so please don't put words in my mouth.
Starting off with I find it hard to believe, mention costs of park tickets and say "you couldn't go further" is judging someone else. You're saying if they could save for the tickets why couldn't they save for Genie+ because it's only X amount more. And I gave a quick run down of how those costs can shape up and that everyone's situation is different. I can see how added costs like that and as the PP pointed out the other additional costs you may encounter can turn into a trip that was nearing the line to now over the line and I don't think that's some out there viewpoint personally speaking.
My point is that G+ was well worth the cost for our trip this year.
I quoted your assessment of others ability to purchase Genie+. I don't doubt it worked out for you nor is that an issue for me, it works out for some, doesn't work out for others. I just spoke to the comment I quoted which was it would appear your response to someone saying "But a lot of people save a long time just to afford the park tickets for themselves and their children."

Starting off with I find it hard to believe, mention costs of park tickets and say "you couldn't go further" is judging someone else. You're saying if they could save for the tickets why couldn't they save for Genie+ because it's only X amount more. And I gave a quick run down of how those costs can shape up and that everyone's situation is different. I can see how added costs like that and as the PP pointed out the other additional costs you may encounter can turn into a trip that was nearing the line to now over the line and I don't think that's some out there viewpoint personally speaking.

I quoted your assessment of others ability to purchase Genie+. I don't doubt it worked out for you nor is that an issue for me, it works out for some, doesn't work out for others. I just spoke to the comment I quoted which was it would appear your response to someone saying "But a lot of people save a long time just to afford the park tickets for themselves and their children."

You brought in arguments and costs that I wasn't even talking about ($ILL), which tripled the cost per day versus G+ alone. I get your point and don't disagree, but it didn't have anything to do with my comments about the cost of G+. I'm specifically talking about the value of G+. That's all. Please stop with the "judging" comment. By doing so, you are judging ME. I never meant my comment to be a judgment on anyone, and perhaps I could have worded it better. It's not a judgement on anyone. It's simply an observation when you consider the grand cost of a Disney vacation. A Disney vacation is already a splurge. There are a lot of ways to make up for the added cost of G+, like reducing the number of days (like we did). ...or forgo park hoppers (like we did), reduce food costs (like we did), etc... I have a hard time seeing the cost of G+ making or breaking someone's ability to go to WDW.

Dan

You brought in arguments and costs that I wasn't even talking about ($ILL), which tripled the cost per day versus G+ alone. I get your point and don't disagree, but it didn't have anything to do with my comments about the cost of G+. I'm specifically talking about the value of G+. That's all. Please stop with the "judging" comment. By doing so, you are judging ME. I never meant my comment to be a judgment on anyone, and perhaps I could have worded it better. It's not a judgement on anyone. It's simply an observation when you consider the grand cost of a Disney vacation. A Disney vacation is already a splurge. There are a lot of ways to make up for the added cost of G+, like reducing the number of days (like we did). ...or forgo park hoppers (like we did), reduce food costs (like we did), etc... I have a hard time seeing the cost of G+ making or breaking someone's ability to go to WDW.

Dan
Genie+ as you know covers certain rides and then others are under ILL. You can certainly opt to not purchase ILL but it doesn't somehow change the conversation. You want to skip the line for Rise? You're going to be paying. You want to skip Minnie and Mickey you're going to be paying. If you want to skip the line and ride both Rise and Minnie and Mickey? You're going to be paying. You're debating paying $180 vs $120 (eta: vs $60) when the person's comment that you responded to was about the added charge to begin with. Me adding in the prices it's like seeing it in print, might not sound like much to go on about til you add it up and it's to have an experience that used to be available without those added costs (part of the original person's comment). We disagree on that it appears. You're treating ILL like it's a distractor to the conversation when it was used as an illustration to the point.

I'm sorry you have a hard time seeing. There are a multitude of visitors to Disney. You're a long time DISer surely you've seen conversations over the years about charges that have cropped up making it difficult for one to make it work or just pushes them over, the PP who quoted me was quite rightly discussing how many of these charges have been going on in a relatively short time especially given if people are saving for an extended period of time for a trip.

Last edited:
Genie+ as you know covers certain rides and then others are under ILL. You can certainly opt to not purchase ILL but it doesn't somehow change the conversation. You want to skip the line for Rise? You're going to be paying. You want to skip Minnie and Mickey you're going to be paying. If you want to skip the line and ride both Rise and Minnie and Mickey? You're going to be paying. You're debating paying $180 vs $120 (eta: vs $60) when the person's comment that you responded to was about the added charge to begin with. Me adding in the prices it's like seeing it in print, might not sound like much to go on about til you add it up and it's to have an experience that used to be available without those added costs (part of the original person's comment). We disagree on that it appears. You're treating ILL like it's a distractor to the conversation when it was used as an illustration to the point.

I'm sorry you have a hard time seeing. There are a multitude of visitors to Disney. You're a long time DISer surely you've seen conversations over the years about charges that have cropped up making it difficult for one to make it work or just pushes them over, the PP who quoted me was quite rightly discussing how many of these charges have been going on in a relatively short time especially given if people are saving for an extended period of time for a trip.
In my previous comment, you'll see that I said "I get your point and don't disagree". I agree that the cost, especially if you add one or two $ILL per day, starts getting VERY high. (btw, did they go back to two $ILL per park? I hope they never do)

My comments about G+ are getting turned into something different. I'm ONLY talking about the value of G+. Not $ILL. You can separate them in a conversation. For us personally, G+ holds far more value for the dollar than $ILL. My G+ comments originally stemmed from Williams Mum Here where she states that she refuses to purchase G+. I was merely suggesting that she may want to consider adding G+ for one day and seeing how it goes. That suggestion was based on how much value we got from G+ last month, which was A LOT. It was a game changer for us. I didn't mention $ILL or anything else. I wouldn't mention $ILL because it's a step too far for us too, and there's no way I'm paying $75 for our family to do ONE ride.

I can get involved in the broader conversation of the nickel and diming that Disney's been doing, which has been adding up to SUBSTANTIAL additional cost. I completely agree about that, and I can't stand that it's happening... Loss of DME, crazy resort price increases, G+, $ILL, resort parking, limited park hopping hours, etc...

I'm not having a hard time seeing anything. It's just not the conversation I was having.

Dan

Let's please be cautious not to try and interpret what another person is saying. Purchasing/not purchasing/affordability of Genie+ and ILL$ is a topic people are passionate about for reasons that work for them. The choice to purchase/not purchase it is different for each person.

Each person will decide what's best for their family and budget.

Last edited:

The free dining isn’t free crowd always comes out in their somewhat condescending fashion, but here we are with barely any room discounts at all and the ones being offered being pennies on the dollar compared to those of previous years, and in much shorter supply.

Thinking free dining was a good deal for an individuals family, even a better deal than the room only discounts of the past, is totally fair.

The free dining isn’t free crowd always comes out in their somewhat condescending fashion, but here we are with barely any room discounts at all and the ones being offered being pennies on the dollar compared to those of previous years, and in much shorter supply.

Thinking free dining was a good deal for an individuals family, even a better deal than the room only discounts of the past, is totally fair.
Both the free dining and the room only discounts were used to drum up occupancy. When they don't need them as much either the offerings dwindle or become severely limited in when they are good for. There were some good (relatively speaking for the time period) room only discounts last year and in 2020 because well people weren't traveling. I'm getting a lot of cruise for 35% off right now.

In the years leading up to the pandemic it was steadily seen the days and rooms and resorts that offered free dining were less and less and it was a more limited product. It was becoming harder and harder to qualify for it. A lot of chatter about that. That was the same for the room only discount but I think the free dining was hit harder so much so that year after year it was speculated that they would stop it all together.

Free Dining was not always around, it was introduced in 2005.

It's been a few years since we've visited and just curious how our normal pattern might work today. We mastered the previous FP (paper/digital) pretty well but this new system has me wondering if we're going to not enjoy ourselves as much.

2 adults, no kids... here is our usual strategy:

Rope Drop
Get out of the park when the masses start arriving by around lunch or a little later (kind of just by feel)
Hang out at the resort/pool or do some resort touring... rest.
Park Hop to another park in the evening... sometimes for rides, sometimes for dinner/walking around with drinks (Epcot)... etc.

I don't mind paying for G+ or LL at all if it provides a benefit. Basically I'm just looking for something that kind of fills in for old school FP or FP+ with the pattern above. We rarely waited in line using the old system and this includes instances where I remember being in Epcot on Christmas night and getting FP+ for main rides on the fly. I think the 2 adult part really used to help with this since getting 2 is obviously easier than 2+. Not sure if this is still the case with G+ or LL.

How do you think our experience might be compared to say 2019 given the pattern above? Would we really notice much of a difference assuming no technical issues?

It's been a few years since we've visited and just curious how our normal pattern might work today. We mastered the previous FP (paper/digital) pretty well but this new system has me wondering if we're going to not enjoy ourselves as much.

2 adults, no kids... here is our usual strategy:

Rope Drop
Get out of the park when the masses start arriving by around lunch or a little later (kind of just by feel)
Hang out at the resort/pool or do some resort touring... rest.
Park Hop to another park in the evening... sometimes for rides, sometimes for dinner/walking around with drinks (Epcot)... etc.

I don't mind paying for G+ or LL at all if it provides a benefit. Basically I'm just looking for something that kind of fills in for old school FP or FP+ with the pattern above. We rarely waited in line using the old system and this includes instances where I remember being in Epcot on Christmas night and getting FP+ for main rides on the fly. I think the 2 adult part really used to help with this since getting 2 is obviously easier than 2+. Not sure if this is still the case with G+ or LL.

How do you think our experience might be compared to say 2019 given the pattern above? Would we really notice much of a difference assuming no technical issues?
A lot will depend on when you are going and if you are staying on-site. But generally speaking, you should do okay if you research how Genie Plus and ILL$ work well before you arrive. In some ways, G+ works like FP+ but in other ways, it is very different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter