No Walgreens For You

Well, the person writing the article didn't do their homework. But I suspect it may have only been one factor in the closures, not the entire reason. But at least here, Walgreens are a shoplifting magnet. The one closest to me keeps getting hit by the two same women. The employees are not allowed to even call the police. But our Neighborhoodwatch folks always manage to get stills from the security camera.
I don't think anyone is saying shoplifting doesn't occur, of course it does. But that's quite a bit different for a company to declare they are closing 5 stores due to theft rings, especially a company like Walgreens, not a small mom and pop style store. It sounds much more like a convenient "let's blame the community" reasoning. Theft rings have been occurring for years and years, nothing really new. Have you heard of many retail companies, especially large billion-dollar corporations, who have advised they are closing several locations due to theft?

I don't think anyone is saying shoplifting doesn't occur, of course it does. But that's quite a bit different for a company to declare they are closing 5 stores due to theft rings, especially a company like Walgreens, not a small mom and pop style store. It sounds much more like a convenient "let's blame the community" reasoning. Theft rings have been occurring for years and years, nothing really new. Have you heard of many retail companies, especially large billion-dollar corporations, who have advised they are closing several locations due to theft?
Target for one is restricting hours to cut thefts. https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/target-walgreens-close-early-thefts-in-california-stores

CVS for another, this article gets into the impact of the change in the law that halted prosecution of shoplifters https://www.asian-dawn.com/2021/05/...-closing-due-to-shoplifting-in-san-francisco/

That's not the same as closing a store much less 5 stores which is what I asked (largely rhetorical) Stores are having different hours for many reasons although usually related to worker shortage. Heck if Walgreens said "we can't get workers for these stores" I'd totally believe that over saying theft is why we're closing these locations.

I've been at a Walgreens store (more than 15 years ago) when an employee literally snatched the backpack off of a shoplifter and wore it around as a trophy. I'm sure he could have come back to claim it if he wanted......
One night we were at a restaurant in Chicago and someone ran out (dine and dash). The hostess near the front door ran after the girl and dragged her back in to the restaurant by her hair. :oops:
That reminds me of Hawaii. They have an ABC store like every block. Walk 2 mins sometimes and there's another one. Walgreens did state they would do "a review of the real estate footprint in the United States.”
Yeah, Walgreen's needs to seriously reconsider their footprint. I have at least 4 within a 5 mile radius of my house and we're in the suburbs where everyone drives. It has been nice during Covid as it's pretty easy to get a test but I can't imagine anyone would notice if one of those stores disappeared.

Last edited:

That reminds me of Hawaii. They have an ABC store like every block. Walk 2 mins sometimes and there's another one. Walgreens did state they would do "a review of the real estate footprint in the United States.”

It certainly seemed like it in Waikiki.

The one oddity about Hawaii is they still have Long’s Drugs. CVS bought the chain (based in California) but Hawaii resisted the name change. They sell CVS house brands and I think are integrated into their rewards program and pharmacies, but the name is still there.

I don't know if the people disagreeing with TVguy live in CA or not but since the passage of making a $900 theft a petty theft, it is happening EVERY SINGLE DAY. There was a Home Depot employee that was fired for chasing down a thief. These people are walking in with large black trash bags, filling them up and walking out of the store. They are not running, they walk. I live in a decent area and our Rite Aid is now closing at 4pm due to theft. It is now a joke. Heard they just passed something that we can now only get 2 catsup packets at fast food but you can steal $999 LOL

This is the Walgreens video that was shown on my news. This shoplifter had a whole trash bag that he filled up with stolen goods.

I don't know what the law is is San Fransisco, but here, security guards can't confront a shoplifter once they leave the store. Even if they see a person walk out with stuff and have it in their hand. The guards aren't police officers, so they can't stop thieves once they've left. And for various reasons cited in another post, many guards are hesitant or aren't allowed to stop theives in the store. They are mainly there to show a presence, or if a major crime is happening.

We used to hear those alarms go off all the time by the front entrances as people stole stuff, and we asked why aren't the guards going after them or stopping them? Just like in the video above, when shoplifters knew the law, they walked out or ran out with stuff all the time. Now, I think most stores just have the alarms to stop honest people who willingly stop and open their bags. They get the item re-scanned and the security tag deactivated.

This is the Walgreens video that was shown on my news. This shoplifter had a whole trash bag that he filled up with stolen goods.

I don't know what the law is is San Fransisco, but here, security guards can't confront a shoplifter once they leave the store. Even if they see a person walk out with stuff and have it in their hand. The guards aren't police officers, so they can't stop thieves once they've left. And for various reasons cited in another post, many guards are hesitant or aren't allowed to stop theives in the store. They are mainly there to show a presence, or if a major crime is happening.

We used to hear those alarms go off all the time by the front entrances as people stole stuff, and we asked why aren't the guards going after them or stopping them? Just like in the video above, when shoplifters knew the law, they walked out or ran out with stuff all the time. Now, I think most stores just have the alarms to stop honest people who willingly stop and open their bags. They get the item re-scanned and the security tag deactivated.
Depends. I've seen supermarkets with armed security guards. Not just armed but clearly wearing body armor. I'm not sure what they're trained to do, although I suspect they're pretty well insured by their employers.

I don't know if the people disagreeing with TVguy live in CA or not but since the passage of making a $900 theft a petty theft, it is happening EVERY SINGLE DAY. There was a Home Depot employee that was fired for chasing down a thief. These people are walking in with large black trash bags, filling them up and walking out of the store. They are not running, they walk. I live in a decent area and our Rite Aid is now closing at 4pm due to theft. It is now a joke. Heard they just passed something that we can now only get 2 catsup packets at fast food but you can steal $999 LOL
No one is doubting theft occurring the conversation is about Walgreens as a company stating these stores are closing (and 5 of them) due to theft, especially when other factors are around.

It's generally been a no no for decades and decades for employees to engage in acts of trying to stop thieves so not surprising someone losing their job chasing after one (and it's not the first or the last that will happen). Even loss prevention employees have their limits

As a (very recently) former Walgreens employee, there's a lot more to it but the headline sounds nice for them. Poor Walgreens, we're the victim here.

They can't keep stores staffed due to crappy policy and poor treatment. Pharmacy staff are quitting in droves because of the insane pressure they're under. Most stores can't hit sales goes because there is a Walgreens on every freaking corner so they're just competing with themselves.

If shoplifting is a problem, it's because of the policies. Official policy is all that an employee is allowed to do is ask the person if they'd like a basket. You cannot confront them, you cannot accuse them, you cannot follow them. You aren't allowed to call the police until they are off property. If you stand near the door, or step outside to see which way they went/what kind of car they got in (you know, things the police ask you when they come) you are automatically terminated. And the general public knows this, so they know Walgreens is a great place to hit.

My store had a guy come in 3 times, jimmy open the fragrance case, and steal $2000+ worth of perfumes. The company wouldn't even pay to put new doors/locks on to prevent it. Every time the cops come they ask what we expect them to do now, why didn't we call when they could have tried to catch the person, etc. I've had 2 different cops tell me the policy is the dumbest one they've ever heard.

I think a lot of people are taking cheap shots at San Francisco for this, but it's hardly a problem that's concentrated there. Organized theft operations occur around the United States, and it was noted how Walgreens has well-known policies that don't allow interference - probably because of worries of what might happen if someone (other than the thieves) is injured.

The truth is that Walgreens has been overextended in San Francisco for quite some time. The jokes about Starbucks being on every block in a large city basically applied to Walgreens in San Francisco.

Well, there is another reason that the Police data may not be accurate. In 2014 voters in California Passed Prop 47 which basically decriminalized theft if the total value of the theft is $950. So stores don't detain shoplifters anymore, because if they do, the Police won't respond. The Police won't respond because the District Attorney won't prosecute because it is no longer a felony.

yep you are correct. It’s all over the news. Than if a employer tries to stop them or stops them they are not a hero in their company minds. They could get fired and some have.

Sounds like your article isn't really backing up your thread :confused3
Well, @RamblingMad didn't say they agreed with Walgreens -- just that it's happening.

Also, I don't know how things are handled in SFO, but locally stores only call the police if they have the shoplifter in custody and are willing to press charges.

I suspect that shoplifting is a big problem for them, and with rising costs they are simply closing underperforming stores.

Well, @RamblingMad didn't say they agreed with Walgreens -- just that it's happening.

Also, I don't know how things are handled in SFO, but locally stores only call the police if they have the shoplifter in custody and are willing to press charges.

I suspect that shoplifting is a big problem for them, and with rising costs they are simply closing underperforming stores.
I was responding to their very first comment of "Walgreens is closing stores due to shoplifting." which is their own wording

Yup on the catsup packs. https://www.restaurantbusinessonlin...mits-restaurants-giveaway-condiments-utensils

Interesting article about Walgreen's...they actually had someone who was working as a pharmacist (I think it may have been in San Francisco?) who never went to pharmacy school and was just a pharmacy clerk....worked as a pharmacist for years and never had to produce her license. The FDA finally caught up with her....google it!

I was responding to their very first comment of "Walgreens is closing stores due to shoplifting." which is their own wording
I know, but that still doesn't mean they agree with the article. In fact, posting that particular article with numerous statements that disagree with the premise may indicate they don't agree.

Earlier today I posted an article in which a noted economist says he thinks 3-3.25% inflation is a good thing. I don't agree with him, but I think his viewpoint is interesting enough to post.

I know, but that still doesn't mean they agree with the article. In fact, posting that particular article with numerous statements that disagree with the premise may indicate they don't agree.

Earlier today I posted an article in which a noted economist says he thinks 3-3.25% inflation is a good thing. I don't agree with him, but I think his viewpoint is interesting enough to post.
Okay

Heard they just passed something that we can now only get 2 catsup packets at fast food but you can steal $999 LOL

Boggles the mind.

Seriously, what alternate universe are we in? Stealing $900+ worth of goods stolen is brushed off as, oh well. Too bad so sad for the retailer. But heaven forbid come next June a restaurant voluntarily gives a spork or a packet of sugar without being prompted they will face monetary punishment if it is a repeat offense. What the ...

Sweet Fancy Moses, our country (or should I say Cali) is in the bizarro world at times. I feel bad for the business owners. They are the ones getting punished.

Boggles the mind.

Seriously, what alternate universe are we in? Stealing $900+ worth of goods stolen is brushed off as, oh well. Too bad so sad for the retailer. But heaven forbid come next June a restaurant voluntarily gives a spork or a packet of sugar without being prompted they will face monetary punishment if it is a repeat offense. What the ...

Sweet Fancy Moses, our country (or should I say Cali) is in the bizarro world at times. I feel bad for the retailers. They are the ones getting punished.
Well CA has had a history of fighting the fights that don't always need to be fought whilst ignoring, sometimes blatantly, ones that do need to be fought.

It reads like the disposable thing is about reducing waste and litter which is on track with CA's campaign on prior things related to that (like plastic bag charges or plastic bags prohibited entirely).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter