No way Jose! We are going to Disneyland! 3/13 - Movin' on Up!

Just rub that beignet on Henry and you'll get all the powdered sugar you need!

:lmao: You are right, that would have worked!

You were a woman on a mission and I can certainly see why. Beignets! I love 'em! I used to make them fairly often when the kids were little. Henry looks so cute with the sprinkles of powdered sugar all over him.

I love them too...soooooo good. These were good, but the ones in New Orleans were still better (probably because they were fresher). I'm looking forward to trying them at French Quarter!

Yay! Its almost here!

Well, the app deleted part of my post- so...

Just wanted to say that looked delicious, I have put the little Mickey heads on my must do list!

They are delish! I've also read the Mint Julep is fantastic, but I didn't get a chance to try it. Next trip. :thumbsup2

Love beignets...yummy! :)

Me too!

So like I said, I AM going to finish this TR and that means two updates in one day! :woohoo:

Also, my ticker is wrong - again! I am actually leaving in 13 days! It worked out so perfectly that an optional work conference popped up the week before we were supposed to be there, ending on our arrival day. Well, how could I say no?! (I have the best job ever!) I signed up for that conference and switched my flight (ended up being FREE due to tons of vouchers when the price dropped!) and now I arrive 4 days earlier. Woot! :yay: Plus, hopefully by the time the boys arrive I will be more relaxed and in the groove and not dragging Joe all over the parks. We'll see though. :laughing:

Anyway - onto the update! I left you in New Orleans Square, let's explore!

IMG_2072-L.jpg

I'm not sure if this is for Christmas, or always there?

IMG_2073-L.jpg

I've been to the real New Orleans, and this really does have a similar feel. Though a lot cleaner. And the sidewalks weren't in shambles. And they weren't washing the street with Tide after the Sugar Bowl...;)

IMG_2074-L.jpg

IMG_2075-L.jpg

IMG_2077-L.jpg

The area is just Pirate's, the Haunted Mansion, a couple restaurants, and a few gift shops - but it's beautiful.

IMG_2078-L.jpg

IMG_2080-L.jpg

And a CM came rushing up telling the boys they had to come down - I guess those stairs aren't safe? :confused3 They didn't have them roped off so we figured it was fine! Oops!

IMG_2082-L.jpg

Isn't it gorgeous?

IMG_2083-L.jpg

IMG_2084-L.jpg

IMG_2085-L.jpg

IMG_2086-L.jpg

It's easy to forget you are in Disneyland back here!

IMG_2090-L.jpg

As we left the New Orleans Square area, this band was playing in front of Pirate's.

IMG_2092-L.jpg

I loved this little touch, they were sort of standing in the middle of the walkway - you had to physically move around them, so they were kinda unavoidable, but it's like you truly were some place else and this random street band just started up. Very New Orleans too...except them being pirate. Which, I guess, might not be that unusual of a sight in NOLA...you do get some characters!

I grabbed Big Thunder FastPasses, despite the wait only being 15 minutes
IMG_2093-L.jpg

And I grabbed two. One for me, and one for Henry. Joe wasn't up to riding...I cannot recall why...

But, Henry was refusing at the time. I hoped to convince him over lunch!

Yes, I ate beignets an hour ago, but we are off to lunch. Hey, it's vacation and Mickey shaped food doesn't count!!

IMG_2094-M.jpg

IMG_2099-L.jpg

Do you know the significance of this? Walt bought it for Lily and she pretty much thought it was hideous, so he put it in the park! :rotfl:

IMG_2100-L.jpg

IMG_2101-L.jpg

Splash Mountain - we didn't ride, it was MUCH too chilly!

Continued in next post

IMG_2103-L.jpg

Lunch awaits us in Critter Country!

This cute little area of the park has Splash and Winnie the Pooh, along with two restaurants and the canoe boats.

We would be dining at
IMG_2104-L.jpg

I had read a lot about it, and if you recall, a year ago when I wrote about our first full day - we tried to eat here on our first night, but it had already closed.

IMG_2105-L.jpg

IMG_2107-L.jpg

Dessert samples. Aren't they cute?

IMG_2108-L.jpg

We sat at the edge, overlooking the river, a table with a view!

IMG_2110-L.jpg

Henry again ordered his box o' snacks:
IMG_2109-L.jpg

He scored two Goldfish bags in that snack box!

Joe's burger & rings:
IMG_2111-L.jpg

Mine - fried green tomato sandwich and sweet potato fries.
IMG_2112-L.jpg

I had never had fried green tomatoes. I like fried things and I like tomatoes, so I figured it was worth a shot! The sauce I was a bit leery about, I'm super picky about sauces, but I ordered it as it is supposed to be and...it was AWESOME. Seriously SO GOOD! This meal ROCKED.

IMG_2114-L.jpg

Davy Crockett Canoe Boats!

Henry's juice box didn't have a straw, so I went up to ask for a straw and they gave him an extra juice box! That kid was in HEAVEN! Double Goldfish and double juice! :laughing:

IMG_2115-L.jpg

You remember those cute desserts? Of course we had to try them!

IMG_2116-L.jpg

This was lemon flavored and VERY good. I don't generally like cupcakes, so when I like a cupcake, it's a good one.

(Yes, it's true. I don't like cupcakes. Give me fries, give me rings, give me cookies and candy - but cupcakes, meh. Sacrilege, right?)

IMG_2117-L.jpg

Mini-pie! Also very good! I preferred the cupcake, Joe the pie. We thought it'd be opposite!

IMG_2118-L.jpg

Wave to the people!

This really was a fantastic meal. We all loved it. The food and scenery really made it!

The bee on the cupcake would freak me a little otherwise Disney Cupcakes are the best :thumbsup2

Luvin the updates. I think I prob missed loads of updates

Luvin all the legoland pics I missed loads.

I love Hungry Bear! Those fried green tomato sandwiches are amazing...I always have to get one each trip to DLR. Our trip in April might be the first time I have to skip it...we'll only have 2 days, and we already know we'll be at CA for most (all?) of one day, with lunch at Carthay (for DH) and dinner at Flo's (for DS). I guess we'll see where we are in DL when we get hungry this time. :) DH is a foodie snob, so I think I can talk him into a fried green tomato sandwich if we're anywhere near Critter Country at meal time!

My DS (age 5 now) is a big roller coaster fan, and he loved Gadget's Go Coaster from the first time he rode it at age 3.5! He's sad that BTMRR will be closed on our trip, but very excited to finally be tall enough for Splash. In fact, every time we talk about going to DLR, he talks about Cars Land and Splash Mountain. He's trying to talk me into taking him on Space Mountain, but with his fear of the dark, I don't think he'd like it at all.

Hi, loving your trip report, Henry is just cute, cute, cute.

About those stairs in the Court de Angles

They are perfectly safe, the reason you where asked not to climb up them is that is the entrance, exit for face characters while in NOS.

There is a cast member area up there.

HOW DID I MISS THE MICKEY BEIGNETS????????

:scared1:

Oh Well I have to go back... that simple. :) I might actually get the chance in 2014 again :cool1: Just need to see if I can work it all out.

Love that you crossed the park to get those.

The Hungry Bear - I missed that too???? :cool1: I did do both Winnie the Pooh and Splash.

More reason to go back....

New Orleans Square is an area of DL that I truly miss when I go to WDW. I love everything there just a tad more than its counter part in WDW. Plus... beignets!!! YUM. And on my trip last July I discovered fritters there too!!! Heaven!

You had the same meal that I did at Hungry Bear. I however did not love it. :confused3 Maybe it was too hot... but I just found it very bland and dry. We didn't try the desserts... maybe that would have changed my mind cause yours look sooo yummy!!!

So for anyone here that knows me, what did I cross the park for?

If you guessed

IMG_2063-L.jpg

You would be correct!

Mickey shaped beignets. ::yes::

Of course if you guessed "coffee", which would be an excellent guess, you were also correct.

smugshot_2346591-L.jpg

!

That is too cute - Mickey shaped beignets! I had no idea they even existed. What a pretty area of the park.

Great to see an update!

Hey Brook!!!

I have really got to get myself out to DL! Just to walk around Pirate's and Haunted Mansion it would be so worth it!!!!!

When I was looking at the menu & you asked what we thought you were there for I was looking for the corn dog nuggets!!!:rotfl2:

Love the New Orleans area!!

Don't like cupcakes???!!!!!:scared1:

That's great that Henry got 2 packages of Goldfish & 2 juice boxes. It is amazing what little things can make a kid so happy.:goodvibes

I have not eaten dinner yet and now I am so hungry!!!!!!

I have eaten and I'm hungry! ;)

The bee on the cupcake would freak me a little otherwise Disney Cupcakes are the best :thumbsup2

Luvin the updates. I think I prob missed loads of updates

I can see why it would freak you out a bit! But he was a cute, tasty bee. :laughing:

Luvin all the legoland pics I missed loads.

My fault - if I updated regularly, you probably could have not missed! Glad you caught up though. :goodvibes

I love Hungry Bear! Those fried green tomato sandwiches are amazing...I always have to get one each trip to DLR. Our trip in April might be the first time I have to skip it...we'll only have 2 days, and we already know we'll be at CA for most (all?) of one day, with lunch at Carthay (for DH) and dinner at Flo's (for DS). I guess we'll see where we are in DL when we get hungry this time. :) DH is a foodie snob, so I think I can talk him into a fried green tomato sandwich if we're anywhere near Critter Country at meal time!

My DS (age 5 now) is a big roller coaster fan, and he loved Gadget's Go Coaster from the first time he rode it at age 3.5! He's sad that BTMRR will be closed on our trip, but very excited to finally be tall enough for Splash. In fact, every time we talk about going to DLR, he talks about Cars Land and Splash Mountain. He's trying to talk me into taking him on Space Mountain, but with his fear of the dark, I don't think he'd like it at all.

You can squeeze in the sandwich! There is always room in Disney, right? :rotfl: I've heard Flo's is awesome. I look forward to trying it! Have you done Carthay's yet? It looks beautiful. Are you doing it with the WoC package?

That's so cute about your brave DS! Henry is the opposite. I don't think he'll be ready for Space Mountain for a few years yet. I'm proud of him for conquering these little coasters still! Hoping Test Track is a hit when we go to WDW later this month. Before it closed for refurb it was for two trips then he did NOT want to go...so we'll see.

Hi, loving your trip report, Henry is just cute, cute, cute.

About those stairs in the Court de Angles

They are perfectly safe, the reason you where asked not to climb up them is that is the entrance, exit for face characters while in NOS.

There is a cast member area up there.

:welcome: Thank you!!!

And ah ha! About the stairs! Makes sense. :thumbsup2 Thank you for the info! I'm surprised it wasn't roped off, or at least have a sign.

HOW DID I MISS THE MICKEY BEIGNETS????????

:scared1:

Oh Well I have to go back... that simple. :) I might actually get the chance in 2014 again :cool1: Just need to see if I can work it all out.

Love that you crossed the park to get those.

The Hungry Bear - I missed that too???? :cool1: I did do both Winnie the Pooh and Splash.

More reason to go back....

I am hoping to get there in 2014 as well! Or even this year (doesn't seem likely, but ya never know). Lots of reasons to go back!! I am sure you found a few things we missed too!

New Orleans Square is an area of DL that I truly miss when I go to WDW. I love everything there just a tad more than its counter part in WDW. Plus... beignets!!! YUM. And on my trip last July I discovered fritters there too!!! Heaven!

You had the same meal that I did at Hungry Bear. I however did not love it. :confused3 Maybe it was too hot... but I just found it very bland and dry. We didn't try the desserts... maybe that would have changed my mind cause yours look sooo yummy!!!

Oooh, I'll have to try the fritters next time! :thumbsup2

That's too bad about your sandwich! Mine was amazing - definitely not dry. Did yours have the sauce?

That is too cute - Mickey shaped beignets! I had no idea they even existed. What a pretty area of the park.

Great to see an update!

I was hoping the ones they have now at the Noodle Station in the MK (since the bakery is closed) would be Mickey shaped, but nope...!

Hey Brook!!!

I have really got to get myself out to DL! Just to walk around Pirate's and Haunted Mansion it would be so worth it!!!!!

Yes you do!!!!!! Haunted Mansion was down while we were there, they were taking down the holiday overlay, but that would have been fun to see!

When I was looking at the menu & you asked what we thought you were there for I was looking for the corn dog nuggets!!!:rotfl2:

Love the New Orleans area!!

Don't like cupcakes???!!!!!:scared1:

That's great that Henry got 2 packages of Goldfish & 2 juice boxes. It is amazing what little things can make a kid so happy.:goodvibes

:lmao: Too funny about the corn dog nuggets! SO TRUE! I did have their hand dipped version back on our first day, but no nuggets from Disneyland.

And yes, it's true! I don't like cupcakes. I'm weird!! :rotfl:

Hi there! :wave:

This is my first time posting in your thread but I have peeked in and silently followed along on many occasions. Your photos have been wonderful in telling the story of your trips. The New York photos were great too!

You asked if the New Orleans Square decorations were always like that, or if the decor was just up for the holidays. The holidays at DLR are my specialty (I've got the "Disneyland at Christmas Time Superthread" on the main DLR forum) so I thought I would jump in to answer that!

What happens is that, for the most part, the ornate, elaborate Mardi Gras masks and the other decorations hanging from balconies and over doorways go up at the end of October - before Halloween Time ends - in preparation for the holiday season. The actual masks have not always been there, and they have increased over the last few years. Back in 2010 there were not as many masks, and then in 2011 the masks started to appear in more places in NOS. This past holiday 2012 season the masks seemed to have multiplied!:rotfl2: There were more than I ever remembered seeing in the past, and some of them were just gorgeous.

All of that "holiday" decor stays up, of course, through Christmas and New Years...and then on through DLR's Mardi Gras celebration in February and early March. Then the decorations come down sometime in March, after that celebration is over. The Mardi Gras celebration - in its current state - is also fairly new to DLR. Prior to a few years ago, they weren't really promoting anything for Mardi Gras at DLR on that kind of level. They have kicked it up a notch.

So I think that when Disneyland started to make a bigger deal of Mardi Gras, they also added to the Mardi Gras-themed decorations for Christmas so the decor would work for both 'holdays.' More masks. More beads. More scary jester figures lurking in corners. More feathers.

After our bellies were full of goodness from the Hunger Bear we continued on our way and almost immediately saw Brer Fox!

IMG_2124-L.jpg

He has a canoe paddle

IMG_2125-L.jpg

He went on down to the Davy Crockett canoes

IMG_2126-L.jpg

Put on a life jacket

IMG_2128-L.jpg

...or tried to!

IMG_2129-L.jpg

IMG_2130-L.jpg

And cheered on the crazy folks going canoeing on this chilly day!

It was a fun thing to see! We left the area before we saw if he actually got into a canoe, but it sure looked like he was going to!

IMG_2134-L.jpg

The Haunted Mansion - it was closed, they were taking down the holiday overlay

IMG_2136-L.jpg

IMG_2137-L.jpg

Remember those FastPasses I had collected for Big Thunder? Well, during lunch Henry had decided to ride with me. He boldly marched up to the queue while Joe and I cheered him on about how big of a boy he was.

IMG_2138-L.jpg

And then we got here

IMG_2142-L.jpg

and he started to have second thoughts.

We boarded. The train started and he started to cry.

I don't remember much of the ride, I cannot tell you if it was better than WDW's or not. All I could do was feel very, very guilty. :( I DO remember that at the end it splashes through some water, which took me by surprise!

I took a few pictures on the ride, but most didn't turn out since I had one arm around Henry to try and comfort him.

IMG_2152-L.jpg

IMG_2153-L.jpg

Very soon we were off the ride. Henry was still crying, I was still feeling like the Mother of the Year. NOT.

We recovered. And opted to do something we knew, without a doubt, Henry would enjoy. The Shootin' Arcade!

IMG_2161-L.jpg

After the arcade, we decided to hop over to DCA to cover a few more things we hadn't done there yet!

IMG_2163-L.jpg

IMG_2164-L.jpg

IMG_2165-L.jpg

Continued in next post

Continued from previous post

IMG_2166-L.jpg

Oops - I guess we made a pit stop for some shopping too! At some point Henry had lost the pin he traded for earlier in the trip. He was really upset about it, so we stopped and let him pick out a brand new one.

IMG_2168-L.jpg

IMG_2169-L.jpg

IMG_2171-L.jpg

The Disneyland version!

IMG_2172-L.jpg

How cute is this?

IMG_2174-L.jpg

IMG_2176-L.jpg

IMG_2177-L.jpg

IMG_2178-L.jpg

IMG_2179-L.jpg

I like these shelves too

IMG_2180-L.jpg

IMG_2181-L.jpg

Hi Walt!

IMG_2183-L.jpg

Henry's pick!

Out the gates we went, across the plaza and right into DCA! Park Hopping in Disneyland is so nice and EASY!

Luvin the update. Poor Henry on Big Thunder Mountain. I don't blame him for crying. I won't go on coasters at all

I was in a bit of a panic watching Briar Fox go down by the canoes and put on a lifejacket.
I was like Oh Heck No - You can not put a large HEAVY Furry costume in a canoe. What if it tips????

Once I saw the size of the lifejacket I was confident he was just Goofin'. ;)

I had visions of a drowning Briar Fox. In water I cannot see the bottom of. :eek:

Your photos are awesome as always! I really need to get into a better habit of looking up. I miss so much.

I understand the Mom of the Year guilt. I "encouraged" my DS to go on TOT when he really didn't want to, but he is one you just never know if he'll like it until he tries. I should've known better.

Isn't walking from park to park the greatest thing?! If one is too busy, that's OK because you can just wander over to the other one. :thumbsup2

Disappointed to say DD showchoir will not be headed to NY. Money is a huge factor for many kids in our school district, and they just didn't have enough kids able to afford the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter