Nobel Peace Prize.

Yea the morale has definitely improved:rolleyes:

I'm assuming all those protests this year have been good morale? Obama has spent more money than all the president's in history with nothing to show it.As a matter of fact he hasn't done a single thing he promised to do yet.So sure the morale has definitely improved...in the rest of the world:rolleyes:

Also I couldn't back up most of my points without getting too political.You said he did a lot before he was elected.What did he do? He wasn't even a Senator for a year before he even ran for President.

That's incorrect. He was elected to the senate in the 2004 election. He announced he was running for president in early 2007 (February maybe?).

That's incorrect. He was elected to the senate in the 2004 election. He announced he was running for president in early 2007 (February maybe?).

I thought I for sure they said he had less than a year of experience.Eh oh well I'll look it up later.Every site I check says something different.

EDIT:Ok he was elected in 2004 but he didn't start until 2006 and then most of the time he was working on his campaign.So to be honest it sounds to me like he avoided all his responsibilities.

Pecobill, he was sworn in on January 4, 2005 as a senator. He started his job then. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_career_of_Barack_Obama

I don't know who "they" are but maybe you need to find better sources for your information. He was also in the state senate before becoming a U.S. senator.

I don't know why you are bringing up his voting status. That was hashed over last year. He won the election by a landslide. I think this thread is going nicely and it would suck to have it closed because you are bringing up things to make our president look bad.

I didn't vote for Obama but there is nothing at all I can do now but support him when I agree and oppose him when I disagree. Hating him and trying to make him look like a failure will do no good.

Pecobill, he was sworn in on January 4, 2005 as a senator. He started his job then. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_career_of_Barack_Obama

I don't know who "they" are but maybe you need to find better sources for your information. He was also in the state senate before becoming a U.S. senator.

I don't know why you are bringing up his voting status. That was hashed over last year. He won the election by a landslide. I think this thread is going nicely and it would suck to have it closed because you are bringing up things to make our president look bad.

I didn't vote for Obama but there is nothing at all I can do now but support him when I agree and oppose him when I disagree. Hating him and trying to make him look like a failure will do no good

^^ It's great that you think like that!! (I'm not being sarcastic either! lol) I think it's a great thing that you're behind your pres even though it's not the one you voted for. :goodvibes

^^ It's great that you think like that!! (I'm not being sarcastic either! lol) I think it's a great thing that you're behind your pres even though it's not the one you voted for. :goodvibes

It's the only way to think (to me). Some people drive themselves crazy over every little thing they think the president is doing wrong. I just want to tell them to shut up! He is MY (and every other American's) president and the leader of my country and he deserves my respect. Just because I don't agree with some of his policies doesn't mean I hate him and won't support him when I DO agree with his policies.

Pecobill, you really are doing great with your facts. Please, keep going.

I'm betting you're one of those people who writes their research papers off of information found on wikipedia.

Laura, I love your attitude! He is OUR president, no matter what. We can respectfully disagree with him sometimes, and that's our right as americans. But no matter what, he is my president and I'm happy for him to have won this honor. :goodvibes:

Pecobill, you really are doing great with your facts. Please, keep going.

I'm betting you're one of those people who writes their research papers off of information found on wikipedia.

Laura, I love your attitude! He is OUR president, no matter what. We can respectfully disagree with him sometimes, and that's our right as americans. But no matter what, he is my president and I'm happy for him to have won this honor. :goodvibes:

or one source. since all of those links were articles from the same newspaper. that would never have flown on any research paper i've ever written.

or one source. since all of those links were articles from the same newspaper. that would never have flown on any research paper i've ever written.
No way. I'm writing a biography write now for history, and we have to have at least 6 sources NOT from the internet.

Yea the morale has definitely improved:rolleyes:

I'm assuming all those protests this year have been good morale? Obama has spent more money than all the president's in history with nothing to show it.As a matter of fact he hasn't done a single thing he promised to do yet.So sure the morale has definitely improved...in the rest of the world:rolleyes:

Also I couldn't back up most of my points without getting too political.You said he did a lot before he was elected.What did he do? He wasn't even a Senator for a year before he even ran for President.

All I can say is it's very hard to do everything he promised when he's only been in office a year yet. He could be doing a little better, but hey, It's a hard job. So I wouldn't be bashing him too hard if I were you. Yes, everyone needs a little bashing now and then, but it's starting to get rude.

I agree, this thread was doing well, I would hate for it to all go downhill.

I didn't vote for Obama but there is nothing at all I can do now but support him when I agree and oppose him when I disagree. Hating him and trying to make him look like a failure will do no good.

::yes:: That was very well said. I completely agree.

I don't agree that only those who didn't vote for Obama are against him getting this award. I actually worked on his campaign, and still do not feel that he deserved that award. Bringing peace to a nation does not happen in a day, week, month or year. To effectively create peace, it needs to be sustained. Sure, the election brought some people together, but it did not create peace. There is still many things going on in this nation and others that would be far from peace - a war for example, genocide in other countries, people losing their jobs and homes, etc. Although I believe that Obama is a great individual he has not earned the Nobel Peace Prize and it turned more into a political statement from the Nobel committee rather than something that was truly deserved. We won't know all the nominees who were up in addition to President Obama for 50 years, but I am willing to bet that there were some extraordinary individuals that would have benefitted more from receiving that award. I was shocked that he didn't refuse the honor. I would have thought that he would have been humble and allowed a more deserving person to get it. I think he was advised too much from his staff regarding the handling of the award.

He was awarded the honor after, I'm sure, much deliberation. I think it would've been rude of him TO refuse it.

He was awarded the honor after, I'm sure, much deliberation. I think it would've been rude of him TO refuse it.

I don't.

Did you see his face? It's almost like he didn't want it. It raises the expectations for President Obama a mile higher.

If he graciously declined it, and said something like "I must decline because there is still much more I need to accomplish before I can be considered for this award" then that would have been fine. Then after his term you can look back, and if he has successfully brought peace then award it to him, if not, then don't.

No, it would have been seen as a courageous thing to do. Can you imagine the outpouring of admiration and respect if he had chosen that route? If people liked him before that, they would have loved him for stepping up and doing what was right. I think that the Nobel Committee would not have been insulted and rather admired the integrity that the President had for refusing the honor until he felt he was truly deserving. The prize has been refused before and in that case, the person was not shunned.

I guess it all comes down to Ethics. Let's say I was recognized at Work when my team finished a project and although I didn't work on said project, I accepted the award anyway for all my hard work doing x? Would that be honest? Nope. I would refuse it and let the members get the recognition that they deserved. I don't think it is right to take credit for something that you haven't acccomplished and just because you are President doesn't mean that different rules apply to you.

I don't.

Did you see his face? It's almost like he didn't want it. It raises the expectations for President Obama a mile higher.

If he graciously declined it, and said something like "I must decline because there is still much more I need to accomplish before I can be considered for this award" then that would have been fine. Then after his term you can look back, and if he has successfully brought peace then award it to him, if not, then don't.

He may not have wanted it but could you imagine the outrage if he had rejected it? He honestly can't win.

He may not have wanted it but could you imagine the outrage if he had rejected it? He honestly can't win.

::yes:: yup, that is completely true!
all the people who have a hate-on for obama would definitely have something to say if he had declined it. sure, you can say now that 'if he had declined it'd be respectable/noble/courageous/honourable etc' but i'm absolutely certain that had he declined it the people who hate obama would've had something negative to say about it.
because the people who don't support obama are always going to find something negative to harp about. As Laura said, he truly can't win in this (or any) situation. You can't please everyone.

Exactly. The people who hate him now would just use that as another reason.

There would obviously be two sides, those who would think he was a saint for declining it, and those who thought it was rude. You can't please everyone.

And I believe the prize was also for a continued effort of peace. Those people saw his potential, and were ready to reward him for the good things he's done and will continue to do.

People don't get rewarded for 'potential'...And if they do, they definitely shouldn't have been rewarded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter