Noisy neighbors

bunnyfoo

<font color=red>It's Monday and my mind was somewh
We had some noisy neighbours during our most recent Disney stay. I think it was a family with (at least) two children. The kids just sounded really excited to go in the morning, so they were a little loud at times ... sometimes they would bounce a ball down the hall. That didn't bother me too much. The thing that made it really bad was when the parents started yelling at them which usually upset them and that's when the noise really started ... the kids would scream and cry and the parents would be yelling too :(

I know you can usually complain when it happens at night but what do you do when it happens in the morning, like around 8AM? I know that's not early for most people, but I'm not much of an early riser (partially due to my job). I don't need absolute quiet, but sometimes the screaming can be a bit much.

I wasn't exactly sure how to handle the situation since I don't have kids and I know they're probably excited to be at Disney. I don't know how the parents would have reacted if we had complained.

Any suggestions for future trips? I'm thinking there wasn't too much we could have done except put an extra pillow over our heads :p

I hear you! I had the same experience at a hotel in Edmonton last year. Every morning some family let their little darlings out in the hotel hallway to bounce their ball against the wall. This was a Sheraton high rise hotel with interior corridors. It was very annoying. Like you, I didn't know how to handle it since it took place early in the morning. I guess I should have got up and said "don't play ball in the hallways."
The only other thing I can suggest is foam ear plugs. They have saved me from many-a-noisy neighbor. I work evenings as well and the noise of people leaving for work, etc...can really grate on my nerves.

It seems to me that many people forget that there are others who don't work 9-5 and work evenings/nights instead! My neighbors are awful. I had the people above us playing heavy bass at 8 am one morning. I used to have a lady that who thought she could sing opera above me at 1pm every day! I'm certainly quiet at night when I'm puttering around. I wish people had the same respect for those that work night shifts!

Being a light sleeper, I can sort of relate. Although I am an early riser and love to get to the parks as soon as EE opens, I understand that not everyone is, especially on vacation. I respect that and am very quiet while getting ready and heading out. If I have the TV on, the volume is low. I try to be as quiet as possible getting ready and quietly close my door, rather than letting it slam.

I have to admit that I've been pretty fortunate to have had mostly quiet neighbors at various Disney resorts, but do see (and hear) kids running and screaming through resorts at very early or late hours.

I would also recommend the foam earplugs, but would also do the following. When you make your reservation, indicate that you would like a room far from the main area/pool, as well as a room at the end of the hallway. This may help tone the volume down a little. I think most families (especially with little kids) try and get rooms close to the main building & pool, to avoid long hikes back and forth from the room.

You did not indicate which resort you stayed at. If it was the All Stars, I can see the increase in noise. I've never had a problem with noise at Port Orleans French Quarter. I would recommend staying there and requesting a room in building #7 or 1 (farthest from main pool & building), building #6 & 5 are closer to the main area. The beauty of this resort is no matter where your room is, it is a very quick walk to the main building. If financially possible, try a deluxe resort, but away from the Monorail resorts (as these tend to have more families). I would try the Yacht Club or the Wilderness Lodge.

At the Wilderness Lodge, I would recommend a room on a higher level, at the end of the hall. When we stayed, we were on the first level a 1/4 of the way down the hall from the main lobby. We had requested a first floor room since we were going with my young nephews. The room was nice and the patio had a little wall for my nephew to play with his trains on, but it was on a heavily traveled hallway, leading both to the main lobby & giftshop in one direction and to the pool, lake, hot tub and Villas in the other direction.

Hope these suggestions help.

Thanks for the suggestions! I believe I will try the earplugs next time. :)

Epcotfan, do you know I still have friends who will call me at 8AM! They seem to forget exactly which hours I work and then are shocked when I ask them to call back later. Oh well. Thanks for understanding :p

Terk-1, I had the problem at CBR. The resort itself was usually pretty quiet. The first 3-4 days of our stay there were lots of couples in our building (Jamaica, #42) ... then one day, we had a family move in next door and that's when all the noise started. We weren't exactly beside the pool but I think we were close enough :p Hmm... I thought all the families at CBR stayed at Martinque and Trinidad North :p I guess on the plus side, I never missed breakfast at the food court :rolleyes:

I have the same unfortunate experience while traveling for work. I had a family that was in the next room top floor of the high rise and dueling it out one morning about 45 minutes before I had to wake up. I hate to say it, but don't ever wake me early as I can turn into the cookie monster. Lets just say that I don't think they thought it was cute when I took my shoe and banged it on the connecting wall between our rooms for a full minute. They were only in that room for a few more minutes after that but my morning was completely disrupted. I try to be conscious of others while I'm on vacation and shut the door quietly, not turning the tv to loud or make too much noise when getting up in the morning.

Bunnyfoo, I also recommend foam ear plugs. I got a small tub of 100 earplugs at Walgreens (our local pharmacy) for under $10. I use them every night to combat DF's snoring. ::Grin::

Speaking of DF, he and I will be staying at the ASMu in the Preferred building, so I'm sure there will be tons of noise from the "crumbsnatchers" that are vacationing with their parents. (I just love that word!) Does anyone know if making complaints to the front desk does any good? I'm planning on getting up with the sun for all the EE's we can manage, but after a long day in the park, we'll definitely need some noise-free sleep time!

I never travel without my foam earplugs. I always have them available on the flight, too. Sometimes the babies on the flights have discomfort from the pressure and it hurts their little ears.

I love babies but sometimes the screaming can get on my nerves. It's not their fault, bless their hearts. I just make sure I always have my earplugs near me.

Travelling with ear plugs is a good idea :)

Has anyone else ever experienced this? We never travel with kids but understand that in Disney - ther are kids. They're excited, they talk loud. We expect it. BUT WHY DO THEY HAVE TO SLAM THE DOORS?????? And I don't mean the kids this time. What's that about??

I've wondered about the door slamming too! :confused: :rolleyes:
The worst is when people congregate outside their rooms and chat late at night. By hanging out I mean bringing chairs outside and sitting outside their room. I've seen this happen at the All Stars and some of the moderates. I don't have a problem with people sitting outside and talking, just find somewhere else to do it. Go to one of the common areas near the pool bar or something. Not where people may be trying to sleep.

Has anyone ever called the front desk about these "noisy neighbors", or do you just let it slide?

Yeah, I don't know what it is with doors ... It wasn't so much the banging, but the constant in and out. I found that kids can sometimes go in and out of the room several times in a minute. *sigh*

yecats, I thought about the shoe banging :p ... Actually, one night we were channel surfing and came across a Jerry Springer-like show. I thought about turning up the TV so our neighbours could hear what they sounded like. :smooth: but then I thought I'd better not.

ScarletIndigo, I'd complain if it happened late at night or really early in the morning. Our neighbours were noisy at 8AM... I'm not sure that we could have done anything :(

Has anyone ever called the front desk about these "noisy neighbors", or do you just let it slide?

I did. During my first stay at OKW, with friends no less, the people upstairs decided to party out on the porch into the wee hours of the night. Not only were they loud but the profanity was extreme. It seemed that every other word was F*** this or F*** that! In such a normally quiet place you could hear this everywhere. I looked outside and saw many people looking towards our building in disgust. By the time I called the front desk said "we are aware of the problem and they aren't answering the door". No kidding.

To top it off, at sunrise, one of their kids went out on the porch to bang pots and pans. I guess that was our wake-up call. :mad: The gang left that day.

On my last night at HH I had another problem with neighbors. It sounded like there was a toddler running around, falling, banging into walls, knocking on the connecting door, etc. I could also hear adults yelling at the kid, which would cause more screaming and banging, etc. I called the front desk then also because I was also concerned for the safety of the child.

Before I checked out the next morning I took the "do not disturb" sign off their door! :smooth: How dare they ask not to be disturbed after the hell the night before.

I thought I was a light sleeper but I've never had a problem. Does that mean:

A) I wasn't paying attention.
B) I got lucky in all my stays
C)My rooms were well insulated or
D) We were the ones making all the noise! LOL!

I'd say it was probably "B"
Even though the rooms are faily well insulated if you have someone noisy nearby you will definitely hear it.

yes I know the problem of kids partying - one time at OKW - we stayed in a 1-bedroom - and there were college kids in the studio - well they partied I mean every night they got back to the room at 2:00 am (after pI closed) -

I slept on the queen sleeper sofa in the livingroom I give mother the bedroom.

So I heard them - it wasn't enough to complaint about - as we were generated gone when they were there and vs.

Banging on the door is often a good way to give them a hint.

At WDW we've generally had good neighbors. At the GF we had noisy neighbors, but only in the afternoon, and it only bothered us as we were trying to nap.

At the AS's I was so constantly bothered by noise that I just won't stay there again.

On teh balcony of one of AKL rooms there was a lady talking on her cell phone describing a medical proceedure very graphically and loudly, I finally just went inside.

Oh--the guy dragging the Radio Flyer wagon across the coblestones at 6:00am at the POFQ one time...

Generally speaking though it's been pretty good.

My true horror stories don't include WDW hotels.

Anne

I've had the noisey neighbors too.
I don't mind the kids. After all, it IS Disney World. As long as they were making happy sounds I just let it slide over me, thinking they're going to be having fun that day. I can even enjoy their excited anticipation.
But when the adults start yelling at each other and then the kids, thouroughly spoiling the whole idea of being in the Happiest Place On Earth, I get annoyed.
As far as knowing what to do about it...well, I just don't know.
The ear plugs sure sound like a good idea.

A warning if you have latex allergies or sensitivity don't use the foam earplugs. There are silicone ones that are harder to find but are out there that will work equally as well :)

Anne

I have kids, three of them... and if you discover the answer to why children go in and out of doors, slamming them usually, several times a minute, I'd sure like to know it! After reading this, I'll be sure to request a first floor room and slide a towel over the bathroom door. Maybe if you can get the top floor, at least you won't have to bear with the noise generated by kids jumping between beds and wrestling their little brothers to the ground. The only problem I had with noisy neighbors was with the teenagers. I was at the All Star Sports during Grad Night (YIKES!!) with kids racing around the outside corridors and congregating in large groups in the courtyards waiting to leave. I'm a light sleeper, so it was upsetting, but my husband thought I was an old fart and told me to relax, they're just kids. Easy for him to say, he sleeps through ANYTHING. I'll try to remember to bring some earplugs. THanks for the tip!

I stayed there this summer via SOG. The early teens I was with were amazed at how loud the noise in the corridor outside our room was (and we were in a 'quiet' area). I don't think there was any soundproofing at all. People congregating in the wee hours talking loudly, kids running and banging the walls, just general pandemonium. I would give the Contemporary NGW a pass if you're a light sleeper. The girls and I finally asked for a got an extra pillow each which we put over our ears to muffle the noise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter