NOLA-area sightseeing?

leebee

DIS Veteran
I'm headed to New Orleans from March 17-21, 2020 to visit my sister and BIL, who live in Gretna. We've obviously been to the French Quarter a lot and will be there a lot during this trip :tilt:, but I'm looking for ideas of OTHER things (other than eat and drink) to do in the area. I'm always interested in seeing how people live in "other" areas of the country, so I'm thinking drives up the Mississippi, out into the Bayou areas, etc. I really am not familiar with anything more than the Quarter/Garden District, so I'm open to suggestions. There are some physical limitations which might rule out actual plantation tours or air boat rides (physical handicaps and motion sickness), but I'd like to hear what YOU recommend for things to do in the area. TIA!

Go to Zydeco Night at the Rock n' Bowl. Looks like Chubby Carriere will be playing on the 19th.

When we went a few years ago, we took a drive around Lake Pontchartrain. We took a walking tour and bus tour. We took the streetcars up North and made a few stops. We wanted to do a plantation tour and a swamp tour but ran out of time. And we think the WW2 museum is amazing!

We actually just got back from NOLA and did the following (we only had 2 days there after getting off the NCL Getaway)--carriage ride around the French Quarter which we got by Jackson Square; Mardi Gras World (which we really enjoyed this and has a free shuttle that picks you up) and we also did the World War II museum. This was our first visit to New Orleans and it will more than likely be our last. I was very disappointed in how dirty this city was and it seemed like there were homeless people on every street corner--live near NYC and go often to spend a Saturday there but just never noticed the same vibe there that we found in NOLA. Someone told us to take a trolley ride through the Garden District to see a different side of NOLA but we just ran out of time. We did have breakfast at the Ruby Slipper and discovered "Pig Candy Bacon" that was to die for...never had that up north!! We stayed at the Courtyard by Mariott French Quarter/Iberville and really enjoyed out King suite.

We did a ghost tour and cemetery tour. We found them on Groupon. We also did a bayou tour on a speed boat. We really enjoyed Frenchmen Street too.

We love NOLA. I love the vibe and the people.

Go to Zydeco Night at the Rock n' Bowl. Looks like Chubby Carriere will be playing on the 19th.
I'm headed to New Orleans from March 17-21, 2020 to visit my sister and BIL, who live in Gretna. We've obviously been to the French Quarter a lot and will be there a lot during this trip :tilt:, but I'm looking for ideas of OTHER things (other than eat and drink) to do in the area. I'm always interested in seeing how people live in "other" areas of the country, so I'm thinking drives up the Mississippi, out into the Bayou areas, etc. I really am not familiar with anything more than the Quarter/Garden District, so I'm open to suggestions. There are some physical limitations which might rule out actual plantation tours or air boat rides (physical handicaps and motion sickness), but I'd like to hear what YOU recommend for things to do in the area. TIA!
And eat at College Inn (next door to Rock n Bowl) if you go there.

We did a ghost tour and cemetery tour. We found them on Groupon. We also did a bayou tour on a speed boat. We really enjoyed Frenchmen Street too.

We love NOLA. I love the vibe and the people.
Yes although it’s a great destination, it’s a real city with real problems like any other. Unfortunately,
it’s not the Disney version like port Orleans resorts etc.

I'll always love the uniqueness of the French Quarter. For sure take the trolley ride through the Garden District, WW2 museum (hubby's favorite) and if pretty day, the River Walk - so interesting to me every time, also take note of all the beautiful unique wrought iron everywhere on the buildings. IF you could, the plantation homes/grounds are beautiful.

Know you said not food & drink, but have to mention my favorite - Cafe DuMonde (beignets & coffee) and Mike Andersons on the river (in mall - yes, QS, but as good IMO to their stand alones for my fried crawfish!! Yum! - and better on the river) ::yes::
Have fun!!

Hello from Gretna!
Take the drive to New Iberia (take Hwy 90 instead of the interstate) and tour the Tabasco Factory. Depending on limitations, check Konriko Rice Mill and Shadows on the Teche.
My family really likes the food at Yellow Bowl Restaurant in Jeanerette. Stop and get some French Bread and Gingerbread at Le Jeune's while you are in Jeanerette. (Take Hwy 182 between New Iberia and Jeanerette)

Cemetery tour would be cool. Don't do that without being on a official tour though, with a group/guide. We moved away before I got a chance to go to the WWII museum, and it's supposed to be so wonderful. I'd recommend it. Riding in the garden district would be nice. We used to do that a lot, and just look at the homes. I wouldn't go off the beaten path though., not unless you're in a tour group. not exploring on your own. .If you drive down River road, you'll see some neat homes, areas, boats, but also a lot of refineries, and industrial corridors.

Yes although it’s a great destination, it’s a real city with real problems like any other. Unfortunately,
it’s not the Disney version like port Orleans resorts etc.

I grew up in one of the poorest cities in America so being in NOLA and seeing all of that didn't bother me at all. To me it's just life.

So far NOLA has been my favorite American city that I have visited. We plan on going next year again. It was always on my bucket list and it lived up to the hype for me.

We did go to a restaurant called Heard Dat Kitchen that we found through Yelp. It was in a pretty rough area (again we didn't mind heading out there because it's the same kind of neighborhood we grew up in) and the food was phenomenal. If they opened in the French Quarter they could easily charge $50++ a plate and we paid under $40 for two people with apps and drinks. It is easily in the top 5 best meals I've ever had. We went as a group of 10 and everyone was blown away by the food.

Hello from Gretna!
Take the drive to New Iberia (take Hwy 90 instead of the interstate) and tour the Tabasco Factory. Depending on limitations, check Konriko Rice Mill and Shadows on the Teche.
My family really likes the food at Yellow Bowl Restaurant in Jeanerette. Stop and get some French Bread and Gingerbread at Le Jeune's while you are in Jeanerette. (Take Hwy 182 between New Iberia and Jeanerette)

Don't you mean GREATNA? :)

(most of my family is from the BestBank) ;)

I grew up in one of the poorest cities in America so being in NOLA and seeing all of that didn't bother me at all. To me it's just life.

So far NOLA has been my favorite American city that I have visited. We plan on going next year again. It was always on my bucket list and it lived up to the hype for me.

We did go to a restaurant called Heard Dat Kitchen that we found through Yelp. It was in a pretty rough area (again we didn't mind heading out there because it's the same kind of neighborhood we grew up in) and the food was phenomenal. If they opened in the French Quarter they could easily charge $50++ a plate and we paid under $40 for two people with apps and drinks. It is easily in the top 5 best meals I've ever had. We went as a group of 10 and everyone was blown away by the food.
I just looked up where that is. Yikes! It is rough over there!

Since you’ll be in Gretna, try Chubbies chicken in Algiers. It’s more of a to go place. But, it has the best fried seafood in the city, imo.

Hello from Gretna!
Hi neighbor! I’m in Algiers!

Hello from Gretna!

I grew up in Houma and somehow never made it to the Tobasco factory/Avery Island. It's on my list of when we ever can get down that way again. Hubby's family still talks about LeJeune's bakery in Jeanerette. That route would be a good one to see a bit of the off the beaten path.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter