Non-Disney wedding at Disney?

rosemaryfluff23

Earning My Ears
We have been having a hard time having anyone take our wedding seriously as Disney, did anyone else have this problem? Everytime we will people we will be married at Disney, they ask us if Mickey will be marrying us. We want a very traditional wedding, but we don't want any of the Disney elements (characters, coach or character themes), since we are already getting married at Disney, we feel that is enough. Did anyone ever have a wedding without any of these elements and if so were you happy with it??

I haven't had my wedding yet, but am only having the coach-no characters. I just wanted to say that everyone also askis me "if Mickey is coming?" and when the 45th "original" person says it, you start to just ignore it. I know my wedding will be beautiful and I'm proud that I'm having it at Disney, I can't wait to show people the Mickey's in my bouquet. Plus, all the people who really matter are either coming to the wedding. or are really excited and interested in it!

I haven't had my wedding yet, but am only having the coach-no characters. I just wanted to say that everyone also askis me "if Mickey is coming?" and when the 45th "original" person says it, you start to just ignore it. I know my wedding will be beautiful and I'm proud that I'm having it at Disney, I can't wait to show people the Mickey's in my bouquet. Plus, all the people who really matter are either coming to the wedding. or are really excited and interested in it!

yeah, I get that all the time. Even my own mother said she thought me wanting to get married at disney was a "joke". I think I'm just going to start telling people yes to all of their dumb questions and then maybe that will help cut down our guest list haha.

I also agree with Pinkerbell, you can't let them bother you. I have an aunt who refuses to come to my wedding b/c it's at Disney and when she asks about the planning, and I tell her, then she makes faces and puts the wedding down. Now I know not to talk to her about it and not worry about her not coming b/c it's one less person we have to pay for! People who are doubting will be in shock when they see how gorgeous and classy your wedding is!:thumbsup2

As you can see the comments you are getting are VERY normal.

Is Goofy giving you away?

Is Mickey marrying you?

Is Donald the best man?

And the perceptions that Disney is just for kids and all about the characters...those kinds of comments are usually from people who have never been to Disney and don't understand the level of service and attention to detail that Disney is known for.

My wedding was very "plain"...no characters, no Disney elements, no theme...just DH and me at Sea Breeze Point. I have never regretted my decision to get married there and I still love the look on peoples faces when I say I got married at Disney!

Every wedding is beautiful in its own way. Don't let the spoil-sports get you down! If they make it to the wedding, they'll be talking about it for years!;)

If anyone asks if Mickey (or any character) is going to be there, just tell them they are too expensive. I found when I said that most people were left speechless.

We were always asked which character we were going as, I always said Tarzan and Jane :)

On our wedding day my MIL declared 'It was so much better than I thought it was going to be!'

Lots of people thought our wedding was going to be tacky, they soon go quiet when they see our photos and video :banana:

People have said that to me as well. When they ask if Mickey is going I tell then Yeah and Donald will be there too!!! I figure, they may make fun of it but when they see how beautiful a wedding in Disney is they will shut up.

We had the same reactions from about half the guest list! But they all came anyway and everyone LOVED it - and guess who was lining up to get their pictures taken with mickey and minnie as soon as they walked in??? :rolleyes1

we had the same problems even from the guests that were coming but after the wedding everyone was saying how great it was and still 3 months on they still say how good it was. We didnt have anything disney really aprt from the landau coach

It happened to me too! My family were also saying that i must think my wedding and marriage is a joke to get married at disney instead of a church:confused3 I had an aunt come to my defense though. her daughter got married at Disney. she said "I don't know what everyone's problem is. We didn't hear this when MY daughter got married at disney" and she gave us her blessing and said that it was the best place to get married and she wished she could have gotten married there. that's when i told her she could do a vow renewal!:rotfl:
i just think that they are just jealous that i am a princess getting married at the most magical place in the world and they aren't:rotfl2:

I absolutely get where you are coming from! That's how I described my wedding to people... "It's at Disney, but has nothing to do with disney!"

The only thing I had disney related was the hidden mickey on my bouquet, and I didn't ask for it... they put it there... it was cute though!

Your wedding will be beautiful and people will be so surprised at how Disney does it! People were coming up to me for days saying how awesome it was!

I also had a non Disney wedding at disney. I love being there, and always wanted to get married at Disney, but without disney elements being everywhere!

I don't think its limited to jsut weddings wither (although weddings seem to get the most anti-disney attitudes)

Some people just pull that horrible face as soon as they heard the words, Disney, Mickey, Disneyworld....

All I say is (when ppl turn their noses up at me taking my vacations in Disney) 'all the more room for me!'

Same with weddings!!

I'm glad no one I know thinks Disney weddings are a good idea, and think mine going to be horrible.

Will make it all the sweeter when I have awesome photos like the brides on here and they just had weddings like everyone else they know!

I also agree with Pinkerbell, you can't let them bother you. I have an aunt who refuses to come to my wedding b/c it's at Disney and when she asks about the planning, and I tell her, then she makes faces and puts the wedding down. Now I know not to talk to her about it and not worry about her not coming b/c it's one less person we have to pay for! People who are doubting will be in shock when they see how gorgeous and classy your wedding is!:thumbsup2

I don't mind the people that we inviting saying things so much because they will be able to see it and change their mind or not come and its less people that I have to pay for haha. I guess what I am more worried about is that I am from a small town and I am about to go home for Christmas and I know the questions will be flying from all the people that aren't invited (because I couldn't invite the whole town and that was one of the reasons I had it at Disney) and they will never get to see the pictures and they will just continue to think my wedding was a joke. But I'm going to try and not let it bother me anymore.

As you can see the comments you are getting are VERY normal.

Is Goofy giving you away?

Is Mickey marrying you?

Is Donald the best man?

And the perceptions that Disney is just for kids and all about the characters...those kinds of comments are usually from people who have never been to Disney and don't understand the level of service and attention to detail that Disney is known for.

My wedding was very "plain"...no characters, no Disney elements, no theme...just DH and me at Sea Breeze Point. I have never regretted my decision to get married there and I still love the look on peoples faces when I say I got married at Disney!

Every wedding is beautiful in its own way. Don't let the spoil-sports get you down! If they make it to the wedding, they'll be talking about it for years!;)

Those are some of the exact questions that people are asking me! It's crazy how judgmental and ignorant people can be.

If anyone asks if Mickey (or any character) is going to be there, just tell them they are too expensive. I found when I said that most people were left speechless.

haha, I'm going to have to use that one!

People have said that to me as well. When they ask if Mickey is going I tell then Yeah and Donald will be there too!!! I figure, they may make fun of it but when they see how beautiful a wedding in Disney is they will shut up.

That is what I have been saying. At first, I got defensive, but then I just starting saying yes and people would ask me if I was getting married at the castle and I just say yes now haha. I had this one know-it-all lady at work telling me that her neighbor got married at the castle last year at 5pm and they shut down the park for her the whole day!

We had the same reactions from about half the guest list! But they all came anyway and everyone LOVED it - and guess who was lining up to get their pictures taken with mickey and minnie as soon as they walked in??? :rolleyes1

Some of my guest list acts that way, but some of them are starting to warm up to the idea now, but I still hate all the stupid questions.

we had the same problems even from the guests that were coming but after the wedding everyone was saying how great it was and still 3 months on they still say how good it was. We didnt have anything disney really aprt from the landau coach

Your pictures are beautiful!! We are having our reception in AAR!

It happened to me too! My family were also saying that i must think my wedding and marriage is a joke to get married at disney instead of a church:confused3 I had an aunt come to my defense though. her daughter got married at Disney. she said "I don't know what everyone's problem is. We didn't hear this when MY daughter got married at disney" and she gave us her blessing and said that it was the best place to get married and she wished she could have gotten married there. that's when i told her she could do a vow renewal!:rotfl:
i just think that they are just jealous that i am a princess getting married at the most magical place in the world and they aren't:rotfl2:

You are lucky you had someone get married there! Some of my family doesn't understand and we didn't pick disney because of the characters and cinderella's castle. We picked them for the level of service we wanted to provide and we could get alot more for our money here than we ever could up north and we also live in FL, I couldn't imagine planning a wedding up north from down here and having to deal with a ton of different vendors!

I also had a non Disney wedding at disney. I love being there, and always wanted to get married at Disney, but without disney elements being everywhere!

OMG your wedding looked amazing!! Now I am going to spend the rest of the day looking at all of your pictures:goodvibes

I don't think its limited to jsut weddings wither (although weddings seem to get the most anti-disney attitudes)

Some people just pull that horrible face as soon as they heard the words, Disney, Mickey, Disneyworld....

All I say is (when ppl turn their noses up at me taking my vacations in Disney) 'all the more room for me!'

Same with weddings!!

I'm glad no one I know thinks Disney weddings are a good idea, and think mine going to be horrible.

Will make it all the sweeter when I have awesome photos like the brides on here and they just had weddings like everyone else they know!

I think I need to just prepare myself for it and let it roll off my back!

thanks everyone!

Just chiming in late here, but we also had a Disney wedding with nothing "Disney" in it (well, OK, we gave mouse ears as favors, but that was so I could get a picture of some Disney Haters wearing them! :rotfl: ).

And, like everyone else said, when people see our pictures they can't believe how cool it looked. One person even thought we had run off to Italy to get married!

II guess what I am more worried about is that I am from a small town and I am about to go home for Christmas and I know the questions will be flying from all the people that aren't invited (because I couldn't invite the whole town and that was one of the reasons I had it at Disney) and they will never get to see the pictures and they will just continue to think my wedding was a joke. But I'm going to try and not let it bother me anymore.

What if you submitted a wedding announcement to your local newspaper? I grew up in a small town, so I put a wedding announcement in the paper with our petal-toss picture - and when it was published, people I hadn't heard from in years were contacting me to tell me how beautiful our wedding looked!

Facebook!!!!!!!

Then the world can see what a beautiful day it was!!

We are in process of planning and our families on both sides started complaining and giving us crap (neither of them have ever been to Disney) and it appears as though they do not care to ever go. :sad2: :sad1:

So we relented and started looking at Venues near home, and then the SAME people started whining and giving us crap about those places and what they didnt like blah blah blah wah wah wah:confused:

So we decided that people are going to complain no matter what we do, so we are doing what is special for us. If they dont like it, they dont have to come!:thumbsup2 Nice smaller guestlist. :goodvibes

So just tune them out! Its YOUR opinions that matter, and if it makes you happy, that is what this day is all about. They woudl give you crap no matter where you choose. Disney is number one for service and hospitality, they put on a great wedding, people who go will love it.

You can say "I told you so" later. :goodvibes :goodvibes

Just chiming in late here, but we also had a Disney wedding with nothing "Disney" in it (well, OK, we gave mouse ears as favors, but that was so I could get a picture of some Disney Haters wearing them! :rotfl: ).

And, like everyone else said, when people see our pictures they can't believe how cool it looked. One person even thought we had run off to Italy to get married!

What if you submitted a wedding announcement to your local newspaper? I grew up in a small town, so I put a wedding announcement in the paper with our petal-toss picture - and when it was published, people I hadn't heard from in years were contacting me to tell me how beautiful our wedding looked!

Facebook!!!!!!!

Then the world can see what a beautiful day it was!!

those are both great ideas and I plan on doing that. I guess I am just worried about facing these comments when I am home over Christmas, but I'm just going to have to put my hater blockers on and let them see afterwards!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter