Non-drinker at alcohol tastings?

DisneyParkLover

DIS Veteran
This may be an unusual question. My dad has liver disease. It is not caused by alcohol, but alcohol can make it worse since it is hard on the liver. So my dad chooses to abstain for his health. The other 3 adults in our group do enjoy an occasional drink, especially on vacation. I’d love to attend a couple of the onboard alcohol tastings, but I don’t want to make my dad feel left out. Would DCL let him come as an “observer”? Are there any options like that? TIA!

This may be an unusual question. My dad has liver disease. It is not caused by alcohol, but alcohol can make it worse since it is hard on the liver. So my dad chooses to abstain for his health. The other 3 adults in our group do enjoy an occasional drink, especially on vacation. I’d love to attend a couple of the onboard alcohol tastings, but I don’t want to make my dad feel left out. Would DCL let him come as an “observer”? Are there any options like that? TIA!
He can most certainly attend any of the tastings that have openings. I participated in one of the tastings with my husband. I don't like mixed drinks, except the Jenn's tatoo at Nomad and so my husband had double drinks. There was another woman in our group that did not drink alcohol and her family shared her drinks. We ALL paid the same price.

Your father will most likely be charged even if he does not drink the alcohol. Maybe, you can make non alcoholic versions of the drinks.

Just like at a buffet or pre fix meal... everyone seated at the table must pay the price of the meal.

In the past I have sat in the back of the room while my wife did a tasting I was not interested in. I actually fell asleep on the comfortable couches.
It was in Ooh La La.
There was open seating in the back of the room they were not using and they did not charge me.

The only place you may not be able to do this is in a venue that is full and does not have any spaces to spare.
The tables used for the tastings are usually set up "depending on what tasting you are doing" before guest arrive so they can make sure there is space for everyone who paid.
The best thing to do is ask the cast member running the tasting and ask if it is ok if there is room.

Just remember most tasting sell out long before the cruises. The only way to guarantee a space is to pay for everyone when you book it.
On our last cruise my wife and I were doing a Bourbon tasting. There was a couple who had paid for two but only one was drinking.

Also take into consideration the ship you're going to be on and the venue for the tasting / session. On Wonder and Magic, they use the Cadillac Lounge for Mixology, wine tasting and the mixed drink sessions as there's a full bar there. Usually they use Cove Cafe for the liquor tastings (rum, cognac, whisky, etc.). Cadillac has plenty of extra seating, so as mentioned, I would ask the cast member running the event. Cove Cafe is smaller and depending on how many have signed up, there may or may not be extra space.

But I've been to a couple of these where there was a non-drinker present. I don't know if they had to pay or not, but I'm leaning towards not, as there were no glasses placed in front of them, as the other spots had.

Definitely want to book early, as 71 mentioned. Although I've also had good luck getting in to a couple at the last minute by asking Guest Services on embark day. Also pay attention to the times - some of the sessions run during the afternoon on a port day. So if you have an excursion, you might not make it back in time for your session! Usually the website won't let you double book, but it does happen sometimes.

Cheers!

Thanks for all the advice! If I book our whole group and then have to remove him, how do I do that? On the app I only see a way to cancel the entire group.

Thanks for all the advice! If I book our whole group and then have to remove him, how do I do that? On the app I only see a way to cancel the entire group.
Either cancel and rebook the others right away (unlike disney dining, there are no alerts people have to grab DCL openings as soon as they pop up so I’ve never had an issue doing this) or wait and have guest services modify it on the ship (I think you need 24 hrs notice so just don’t book an embarkation day one.

The two tastings I have participated in (Martini and Mixology) have been completely full—and they were turning away folks at the door who did not have a reservation. ButI also went to grab a drink at Meridian once when they were doing a whiskey tasking and that tasting only had two tables of people—there was plenty of room for people like me who just wanted to sit in the bar without joining the tasting. So maybe it depends on the tasting.

I recall attending a tasting that only had 1 spot available. We paid for 1 and my husband and I split the drinks.
Yep. My boyfriend and I did this for a whiskey tasting on the Dream a couple years ago (I'm not a big whiskey drinker). I had a small sip of each item and he enjoyed the rest. I believe we were only charged for one person, and we were only provided one set of tasting glasses.

I recall attending a tasting that only had 1 spot available. We paid for 1 and my husband and I split the drinks.
Yep. My boyfriend and I did this for a whiskey tasting on the Dream a couple years ago (I'm not a big whiskey drinker). I had a small sip of each item and he enjoyed the rest. I believe we were only charged for one person, and we were only provided one set of tasting glasses.

Right, but just to clarify, the amount of "spots" available for the tasting may differ from the amount of people allowed into the restaurant. The whiskey tasting is a good example--it really only took over a small section of Meridian. In contrast, when I was in Meridian for the mixology, there was not a single seat available in the entire bar--every spot was used for the tasting.

With social distancing, that will likely improve because they'll have to give each party their own table rather than seating strangers together as they did in the past-so more likely to be an empty seat at your table that can be filled with the non-drinker. But depending on how far out OP's cruise is, if things are back to normal by then it might be a full house again.

I would also guess that tolerance of an observer may vary under new protocols.

yes, that's also true
also helps if you know the CM's at the bar.
I have a habit of going to most of the bars the first couple of days, get drinks there, chat with the CM's, often times befriending them
At the tastings those same CM's are often there & they recognize me & a couple of times they happily let DW join me & sit beside me even though I am the only one with a ticket bc DW doesn't like a particular tasting. (she hates beer & cognac)
DCL CM's are beyond awesome. One of the many reasons I happily give them my money.

On the Magic/Wonder, you'll have no issues at the tastings in Cadillac or Pub. The evening ones in the Cove Cafe, most likely not, unless it is not sold out.

Right, but just to clarify, the amount of "spots" available for the tasting may differ from the amount of people allowed into the restaurant. The whiskey tasting is a good example--it really only took over a small section of Meridian. In contrast, when I was in Meridian for the mixology, there was not a single seat available in the entire bar--every spot was used for the tasting.

Yes, the one I attended was a scotch tasting after we docked in Scotland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter