Noooo...the end of EMH?

If they did do away with EMH, there would be very little incentive to staying onsite. Compared to offsite resorts, there's hardly anything that sets Disney resorts apart besides EMH and transportation. If it's true, we might have to go stay at the offsite condo.

+Worthwhile FP (no getting second-class access), worthwhile dining reservations (no table scraps reservations), "free" dining, discounts, magic bands, sending purchases to your room/hotel. Probably others I haven't though of, too (I can't remember if off-siters get turned away before hotel guests or not when the park is at capacity).

As for non-Disney places being Econo-Lodge, if by that you mean that they're 1/2 the price of Disney's cheapest hotel room yet still offer a swimming pool, 2 separate bedrooms (1 king, 2 doubles), a kitchen, a living room, three cable TVs (that you can plug your own HDMI laptop into), Disney (knockoff?) themeing, free internet, first floor gated accommodations, yeah, that's my kind of Econo-Lodge (Or maybe we should say Econo-Condo?).

They both have their benefits. Though I have to admit, Disney has to offer a lot of "free" stuff to make up for what their competition offers for a lot less. Seems some people still don't mind the 20 minute drive for the savings and improved accommodations!

Most of our family trips before we had DS were trips to the country or fishing where we did all our own cooking, dishes, etc. So a big part of the appeal of onsite is that it's truly a break from all the domestic stuff. But I would be happy to trade EMH for extra fastpasses because hustling my guys out the door early or keeping them up late isn't easy.

This doesn't appeal to me at all. I don't want to drive, cook, or do laundry.

I don't make use of EMH and would rather have another FP+ (for any tier, in parks that tier) but I realize that I am in the minority on this. What I do find unpleasant is that IF this is true, EMH has been an advertised perk for many years & I'm sure Disney will make minimal efforts to inform guests of its demise, reminiscent of the "surprise! no monorail" incident.

LOL, we book either a DVC villa or one at Bonnet Creek. I don't even cook at home. Onsite or off, I book a car to get us from the airport to the resort and then we use taxis. We used DME once to return to the airport- didn't enjoy the experience. I do laundry on trips no matter where we stay be it a villa or regular resort because I refuse to pack dirty clothes in the suitcases. Laundry day is relaxing to me.
We did use EMH, especially in the am, and in combination with the ability to use FP's after the time stated, we were able to get so much more done.

What's the next thing to go for onsite guests if EMH is indeed removed? 60 day FP+ reservations, 180 day ADRs, free DME

Loss of EMH (evening EMH) would be the one thing that would send me off property. I do use DME right now when I go without hubby, but I won't have a problem renting a car if I need to. I go to lots of places where we have a suite with kitchen and laundry, and I don't do any cooking or laundry. I hardly cook at home, why would I start cooking just because there is a kitchen in my accommodations? I normally go during low season, and the EMH is very important when the parks close early every night. My daughter and I prefer the parks at night. An extra FP+ or 2 would not in any way make up for the low crowds during night EMH that we have come to enjoy, walking onto most rides and having parts of the park all to ourselves. The night EMH is the only thing that has kept me from boycotting WDW all together since they took away paper FP's.

We don't use DME (we drive) or the DDP (ends up costing more than OOP). We would really miss EMH. That morning magic hour is like gold.

FWIW, will use DME no longer (also a person who thinks it's neither magical nor express), don't use the DDP, and have only done two evening EMHs, ever. For me, it's all about location. I like being close to the parks.

The driving doesn't usually bother me. I don't cook even if I stay in a condo, but we do have better selection for breakfast. And the ability to do laundry in my "own" space is the one perk that I really like when we stay off-site. Overall, though, I'd prefer to stay on-site for a number of reasons. EMH is one of the biggest reasons.

I am at Disney World 5-6 weeks a year. I am now staying about 50/50 onsite/offsite because I am tiring of Disney's prices. Yes I love staying there and feel most the resorts show some imagineering but I go so often that it's just not that special anymore. We don't do all the resort stuff, we are always on the go and I am wanting more value. And Disney restaurants, pools and buses are becoming so crowded it's hard to feel like we used to. In May a Value resort rate was double per night than the 2 Bedroom HUGE newly and beautifully decorated condo I was at - 10 minute drive to the parks. There was NOTHING the Disney resort could offer me to justify it. At this point EMH is the best thing they can offer. I have no problem getting FP+ at 30 days, we even got 7DMT and A&E the day of (and that's not the first time). I always get the ADRs I want and I book at 60 days at the earliest. I have TIW and no way DDP can compete with that, I get free parking, I send packages to front gate to pick up when I leave, I have at least 15 magicbands so I really don't need more, I don't need to charge to my room I'll just carry my credit card. And let's not assume because I am in a condo I am slaving over a stove and keeping house. We didn't cook anything other than toast and we always eat in our rooms for breakfast anyway. It was nice to have a big fridge, nice to spread out, awesome that everyone got their own huge bed, nice to have two bathrooms, three televisions. Yes I did laundry, no big deal, toss a load when you leave and another when we come back and I liked bringing home clean clothes for a change.

Location, location, location. Plus, people love the convenience of not having to rent a car (DME) and being able to pre-pay for meals (DDP).

I would venture MANY people, myself included, do not fly to Disney and have a car. Yes, I have stayed at Disney and never seen my car the entire trip but I will bet I can leave a park and be in my condo or offsite hotel before the Disney bus riders get back to their rooms. And if I'm at Bonnet Creek, I'm in bed. Staying offsite does not mean I can't be at rope drop either. I could care less about prepaying for meals (and I've done DDP many times). I'd rather use my TIW to save on food and alcohol, order appetizers and no desserts and still save money.

There's a lot more to Disney resorts than magic hours...enjoy the econo-lodge.

WOW...... :rolleyes2

Yes Disney resorts allow you to stay in the bubble and pay those lovely Disney prices to do so but there are plenty of places to stay offsite with nicer rooms, bigger rooms, equal amenities and all for a fraction of the price. That money I save pays for lots of extras at Disney.

Don't get me wrong - love Disney resorts and love the places I have stayed offsite. Each trip has different needs and we go with the best value for our stay for who is in our party. Neither is right or wrong.

TO ME: EMH is one of the biggest perks for onsite stays because it can not be substituted or duplicated for offsite guests.

I am at Disney World 5-6 weeks a year. I am now staying about 50/50 onsite/offsite because I am tiring of Disney's prices. Yes I love staying there and feel most the resorts show some imagineering but I go so often that it's just not that special anymore. We don't do all the resort stuff, we are always on the go and I am wanting more value. And Disney restaurants, pools and buses are becoming so crowded it's hard to feel like we used to. In May a Value resort rate was double per night than the 2 Bedroom HUGE newly and beautifully decorated condo I was at - 10 minute drive to the parks. There was NOTHING the Disney resort could offer me to justify it. At this point EMH is the best thing they can offer. I have no problem getting FP+ at 30 days, we even got 7DMT and A&E the day of (and that's not the first time). I always get the ADRs I want and I book at 60 days at the earliest. I have TIW and no way DDP can compete with that, I get free parking, I send packages to front gate to pick up when I leave, I have at least 15 magicbands so I really don't need more, I don't need to charge to my room I'll just carry my credit card. And let's not assume because I am in a condo I am slaving over a stove and keeping house. We didn't cook anything other than toast and we always eat in our rooms for breakfast anyway. It was nice to have a big fridge, nice to spread out, awesome that everyone got their own huge bed, nice to have two bathrooms, three televisions. Yes I did laundry, no big deal, toss a load when you leave and another when we come back and I liked bringing home clean clothes for a change.

I would venture MANY people, myself included, do not fly to Disney and have a car. Yes, I have stayed at Disney and never seen my car the entire trip but I will bet I can leave a park and be in my condo or offsite hotel before the Disney bus riders get back to their rooms. And if I'm at Bonnet Creek, I'm in bed. Staying offsite does not mean I can't be at rope drop either. I could care less about prepaying for meals (and I've done DDP many times). I'd rather use my TIW to save on food and alcohol, order appetizers and no desserts and still save money.

WOW...... :rolleyes2

Yes Disney resorts allow you to stay in the bubble and pay those lovely Disney prices to do so but there are plenty of places to stay offsite with nicer rooms, bigger rooms, equal amenities and all for a fraction of the price. That money I save pays for lots of extras at Disney.

Don't get me wrong - love Disney resorts and love the places I have stayed offsite. Each trip has different needs and we go with the best value for our stay for who is in our party. Neither is right or wrong.

TO ME: EMH is one of the biggest perks for onsite stays because it can not be substituted or duplicated for offsite guests.

About the only onsite resorts that can compete are the yacht and beach clubs, and AKL. Other than that, I'd rather stay in a condo.

. I do laundry on trips no matter where we stay be it a villa or regular resort because I refuse to pack dirty clothes in the suitcases. Laundry day is relaxing to me.

I hear you - laundry every day in the villa - it's not that hard - there's no rocks and rivers involved - push a few buttons, fling in a pod (and bleach), move clothes; more buttons. Never go home with dirty clothes. I thought I was the only laundry crazy vacationer,

"If" the rumblings about tiered ticket pricing are the future, then this doesn't surprise me one iota. Wouldn't the lack of emh at different times of the year, or put the other way, the availability of emh at certain times of the yr assist Disney in selling the more expensive tiers ? Not sure why this should surprise anyone.

You don't HAVE to cook if you stay offsite. I like having a kitchen so I can make my tea in the morning, have a full size fridge for drinks and fruit and maybe make a pizza or something simple like that for a late night snack. I have no desire to cook.

I will say that having a laundry is nice. I can easily wash a load while we watch TV or whatever and then we don't have to lug so much when we travel.

That aside, it would be a shame to lose EMH. We always liked the evening version.

I completely agree.....we have reservations for Nov/Dec at a two story condo, 3 bedrooms (1K, 1Q and 1 double twin), a full size kitchen, washer and dryer, a private patio, a whirlpool in the master bathroom, a hottub on the back patio, two reserved parking spaces....and shared use of the recreation center with a pool, another hot tub, game room, exercise room, and a movie theatre. And all this will cost me $56 per night, including tax and cleaning fees (I am staying over 30 days, but if I were staying 7 to 27 days the price is $81 per night. This particular condo does have a 7 day minimum). This is less than a 15 minute drive to the MK parking lot....so seriously not much different time wise for those walking across the resort, waiting for a bus and riding it through the resort and then to MK parking lot.....and at night, I get home before my friends who stay onsite, because we don't have to wait in a line for our car.) So if I can get a full 1,300sq ft condo for less than a really great room discount on a 350sq ft value resort....well, why would I stay onsite. For many it was the EMH and the chance to book FP at 60 days instead of 30 for offsite......now it may only be about the FP. So, to me, that's a pretty hefty price to pay to get an A&E or 7DMT FP. And....I have always been able to get both of those....not at my 30 days always (though a few times I have), but by being persistent and checking we have yet to fail to get them....we've even been able to get 7DMT FP as our 4th in park FP quite a few times....haven't ever tried the A&E but I do remember seeing it a couple times.

I wonder what they'll be giving (if anything) in exchange for those staying onsite....if this rumor is true, there are going to be a lot of unhappy people. And isn't 2016 booking opening this week? They may have a lot of 'plaining to do.

I dont think the rules will allow you to name this place but could you possibly PM me for future reference? TIA

Are you travelling with young kids?
While cooking doesnt appeal and we wouldnt do it, we already eat cereal or toast in the room for breakfast and having 3 young kids they get dirty all the time (and so do we as a result) it is so much easier to be able to throw on a load of laundry in the evening then throw it in the dryer in the morning then trying to do it in a laundry room. But again we are staying for 2-3 weeks at a time not a few days so laundry is just unavoidable.
Driving is honestly easier when you are dealing with 3 kids, the stroller and the nappy bag etc then dealing with busloads of people.

For us the loss on evening EMH would almost certainly drive us offsite. Extra FP's are unlikely to make up for the time in the park, we love night time in the parks.

Personally, I think EMH will be announced later... But if they pull the benefit of EMH, they should have done it two months ago before they started selling their 2016 free dining packages. When we booked our August 2016 package, EMH were listed as a perk. If that won't be the case, we should have been made aware of it at the time of booking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter