Northerners, how do you typically dress for winter in Disney World?

MaC410

DIS Veteran
My next trip is in December and it's our first time going during this time. We are from the northeast so our definition of cold is a bit different than what the locals may have. However, if it's going to be 70s during the day and 50s at night we find it hard to plan for. We aren't going to want to walk around in jeans all day but we probably wouldn't want to be in shorts at night. I guess we could just bring a change of clothes with us to the parks each day but I'm not too thrilled about carrying that around or renting a locker every day.

Just curious to hear what other people who come from colder weather do during this time of year at Disney World.

On top, we do short sleeves and pack lightweight sweatshirts/fleeces for each person. Bottoms vary - my husband is going to wear shorts if the forecasted high is upper 60's or higher, even if he's a little cold first thing. For me, the forecasted high needs to be lower 70's for me to wear shorts. Even if you don't want to bring a change of clothes you'll still need to carry some type of layer I would think (sweathshirt or light jacket.) I'd wait until right before your trip to decide though. The extended forecast will give you a rough idea. We're going Dec 15 this year and I'm expecting highs anywhere from mid 60's to upper 80's - recent years have seen it all.

When we have gone to WDW in December we usually wear shorts, even at night. We are from Wisconsin, so in December, temperatures in the 50s is very warm.

We usually will have a lightweight, long sleeve shirt to put on in the evening. The arms get colder than the legs do.

If the high for the day is in the 50s, then we will wear jeans all day.

The last time we went in December was probably around 15 years ago and Florida was having a cold snap with freezing temps. It ended up being colder there than it was in Michigan at the same time.

The weather you mention in the OP, however, is exactly the weather we're experiencing now in Michigan. 70's during the day and 40's at night so I dress the same way at WDW. Layers for the most part. We usually go back to the room in the afternoon, though, so it's no big deal for us to wear shorts with a light jacket in the morning and swap out to jeans in the evening.

I bring layers. Usually, just adding a hoodie works for me. However, I'll wear shorts even if it's 30 degrees outside, because I don't really feel cold on my legs. As long as my neck is covered, I'm in pretty good shape.

We usually go in late November which is still summer weather - shorts, t-shirts, and a light sweater for nighttime or the bus A/C on steroids.
We also went in January which was more like Fall. I wore pants, Short sleeves, a light sweater for chillier days and my jacket for early mornings and nighttime.

Oh, yeah...and 50 degrees in Florida doesn't necessarily feel like 50 degrees at home. Sometimes it can be damp and miserable.

Yes, we're from Wisconsin but I find the damp cool of Florida can give me a chill I'm not used to. As others have said, layers are your friend. We also make sure to throw some of those thin little gloves and a thin winter hat in the bag, just in case.

We don't really like the idea of having to carry around a bag of clothes throughout the parks each day. Do the people who bring clothes to change in to just suck it up and carry it around or do you rent a locker?

Columbia and north face both make great pants that zip out into shorts, and the part that zips out is very lightweight and can be folded up really small and not even noticed in the backpack. The other thing I like about these pants is that the fabric dries really fast if you get wet. My kids can be wimps and don’t like to be cold at all. In late Nov and Dec they’ve used these because the mornings can be cool but then get hot throughout the day.

We're from Oregon, and I typically wear lightweight long sleeve t shirt and capri or cropped jeans. DH wears shorts (no matter how cold) and either short or long sleeve t shirts. If we're staying out late and not going back to the room, we'll carry sweaters/sweatshirts with us.

Originally from Kentucky...almost Indiana. I was there for marathon weekend this year and had to buy a sweatshirt for an exceptionally chilly rainy day at DHS. I wore shorts everyday. My niece who has lived in Guam and Arizona her whole life was freezing the entire trip and wore jeans, sweatshirts, scarfs and even earmuffs occasionally!

December weather at WDW is tricky - one day can be sunny and mid-80s, and the next could be misty and upper-50s. It's unusual to have "cold" weather, but I'd recommend packing for cool weather and up, which means layering, layering, layering. Shorts, long sleeve Ts, sweatshirts or jackets are my usual go-to. I usually find that preparing for the temperatures is more of a comfort thing than a necessity (as it's rarely extremely hot or cold that time of year). Nights can be cool - but the bigger temperature change I notice is with the indoor venues (which can feel almost frigid after spending some time outside on a nice 70 degree day).

A post above mentioned convertible pants - I'd add to that and throw out other types of outdoor/hiking gear if temperature is a concern. Performance wool is a good option (although a bit pricy) - lightweight, warm but breathable, layerable, wicks moisture, and dries fast.

One exception (which someone else has noted) - the buses are always and indiscriminately cold any time of year, operating as they do on some type of absolute zero thermostat. For those, I just carry a spare taun taun to gut and crawl inside of until I can get back to my resort.

I wear shorts/capris and flip flops unless it's really cold during the day. I carry a jacket or fleece zip-up around with me all the time, as it usually does get pretty cold at night, especially around the world showcase. I'm from MA.

Minnesotan.
We went Nov/Dec last year. I (male/40ish) wore shorts and polos the entire trip. Wifey wore capris and layered tops. We never needed gloves/hats.
The only time I got cold was after swimming in the resort pool. Now that I think of it, I didn't even feel cold after riding Splash during MVMCP.

Maybe just bring the layer stuff you might need to the park on the first day/night out. If you didn't need it on day one, the bag/pack will feel that much better the rest of the trip.

Tee shirts, jeans/pants/capris during the day, and then a fleece if it is cold

I am comfortable up to about 50 degrees in a tee shirt so a fleece is more than enough if I need an extra layer. I can wear a fleece to about 35 degrees and be fine :)

I wear shorts as long as it's warmer than 50, but that's my personal preference. I'm going to Florida so I can't get myself to bring pants. We are from Iowa. When we went to MK I had shorts, a short sleeved t-shirt, and a light Adidas jacket over it. I ended up putting my jacket in my drawstring bag that I brought. Since it was a light jacket it didn't weigh my bag down. We have never gotten lockers before and instead just carry everything in bags.

I've heard the weather varies in winter so layers are a good idea. (I have been to FL in winter, just not Orlando). Personally, up North I don't consider it "cold" until the low 30's- and even then it can be ok if the windchill isn't super low.

I will probably stick with jeans/capris & short sleeves, but will bring some hoodies and possibly a waterproof jacket for early morning/night use if needed. My partner will probably just wear shorts.

Their all time historic low was 19 degrees in January 1983. Which is laughable to most of us.

Just keep an eye on the weather forecast the week in advance. You might need a hat/gloves if you run cold. Florida cold is a bit damper than Northern cold, so I am going prepared. Wicking fabrics are always ideal.

Hi, NH here :-)
My must have for our February trips is a lined windbreaker (I have a Disney one with a hood) - it's not so much because it might be just chilly - it's the WIND with it (especially around World Showcase)!
Luckily, we've had some wonderful weather trips, so I haven't had to wear it that often. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter