Norway 2017 - How it went for us

thndrmatt

Real Life Mickey Wannabe!
I wanted to post some blurbs just in case people are interested for future trips to Norway like the upcoming Norway/Iceland and possibly future years.

Copenhagen was easy breezy for us just like when we were there in 2015 for the Baltic. Easy train to the Crown Plaza, easy metro from there into town for whatever (in our case google copenhagen street food market which was yummy times a million), easy metro+bus to the port, super cheap transportation, efficient even with luggage. Also easy back to the airport, we got off around 8:15, bus 25/27 left at 8:30 right there about 200 yards from the ship to Norreport, M2 train straight to airport, some shenanigans with dropping our lap child off our ticket and readding, still past security and into the duty free area with hours to spare to the point they didn't even have our gate listed on the departure board for our 12:00 flight. Note we were headed to FRA first so no customs/additional security beyond the main one, direct US travelers will need a bit more time for that. I still think 1100 or even 10:30 flights are more than doable.

Stavanger was Pulpit Rock on our own. Disembark as scheduled at 7:45, join the throngs bolting through the city to the ferry terminal (in our case we led the way) jump on the 8:00 ferry, buy the ticket for the ferry+bus on board (320NOK/~$37), sit on the ferry for ~30 min, walk literally 10 meters off the ferry into the Tide bus, ride the bus for ~30 min, arrive at the trailhead about 9:10, enjoy the hike and the 40 minute head start you have on all the Disney excursion people (who paid much more for same transportation) and people who took the 8:40 ferry. We lollygagged about an hour on top, and took the hill loop trail down from the top (not particularly obvious from the main trail, in fact they put a signpost for the main trail right where you need to jump off the main trail disguising the fact it is in fact a junction), and were still back around 13:15. Only delay was the 13:45 bus didn't show up until about 14:10 due to apparent ferry delays, but that bus eventually arrived at a waiting ferry, and we arrived back in town on the same ferry as all the excursion busses with 90 min or so of Stavanger town time before boarding at 17:45. Note, the "trail" is lots and lots of walking on rocks. Rocky steps, rocky areas, rocky plateaus, lots of rocks. Your feet/knees won't love you at the end. Totally worth it of course.

Alesund was rental car on our own, reservation was at Hertz (6 miles away) so tried just walking into Avis which was down the street from port, watched a guy in front of me reject the automatic they'd given him because he "was hoping for a 5 speed", asked if they had anything in automatic even without a reservation, and they gave me one no problem (probably the one he'd just rejected). Ended up ~$160 on the day which was a bit steep, but not if you factor in taxis both ways to Hertz. Or even better the $109 or whatever per person Disney charged to get to Trollstigen (there were four of us in the rental). Drove to Trollstigen leisurely via the southern route with lots of photo stops, spent a bunch of time at Trollstigen (did I mention the Disney weather bubble of ~70 degree temps every day of the cruise?) and had a great lunch in Andalasnes on the way back via the northern route. Time back at Alesund to climb to Aksla and recreate a picture my dad took there ~30 years ago, and still was able to return the car and head back to the ship on time.

Geiranger as you may of heard was a skipped port due to "high winds preventing usage of the seawall." They blasted the annoucement into the staterooms the night before at ~10pm, so they'd made the call early. Glad I didn't have kids sleeping at that point. Another shipped successfully went there the same day but they had their own tenders. So they ended up slowly cruising into the fjord, looking at Geiranger, and slowly cruising back out. The scenery missed in our case was a bike rental up the mountain for me, and a bus ride for the rest of the group, along with the waterfall hike. Pretty big bummer, but the perfect weather for the rest of the days meant we still fared pretty well. Still waiting for the refund to appear on my cc for the excursions, supposedly they sent it.

Bergen was a really ambitious Norway in a Nusthell day for us. The times were so sketch that DCL didn't even offer it as an excursion after initially acting like they would. It looked like this: 0800 disembark, 0843-0956 train Bergen to Voss, 1010-1120 bus#950 Voss stasjon to Gudvagen kai, 1145-1315 Premium ferry Gudvangen-Flam via the Aurlandsfjord, 1335-1431 Train Flam-Myrdal, 1437-1657 Train Myrdal-Bergen, 1730 All aboard. Now to try to sell you on why it wasn't that hard. Walk was ~20 min from ship to train, easy train ticket purchase after converting the machine to english on the front menu (UK flag). Used credit card for the tickets but also pulled out cash from ATM next to the ticket machine in order to pay for bus. Getting off the train there were signs every 50m pointing to the bus stop. Once arriving there were two blindingly obvious buses that showed #950 Norway In A Nutshell. 115NOK cash to the driver, and he had change since I'd withdrawn 400 (for 2 adults). Very scenic bus ride with a jolly driver taking time to stop at key photo ops, still made the boat in plenty of time. Time for a restroom break/food grab at Gudvangen, but they also had most of the same food on the boat while enroute (mmm waffles). Ferry ticket was purchased in advance and printed, show at boarding. Full up fast wifi on the modern/premium fjord boat, we were Facetiming with family showing them the fjord. Walk off the boat about 20 meters to the waiting train, that ticket from Flam-Myrdal-Bergen was also purchased in advance. After that train in Myrdal, walk literally 10 steps across the platform to the other waiting train, and ride that back to Bergen, and enjoy the 20 min walk back to the ship. This was the last port so worst case if something broke down or whatnot we would have had to taxi, or even worse arrange trans back to Copenhagen, but this was as smooth and efficient a day as we've had. Total cost was about $190/person including the premium ferry. For comparison the NCL excursion they still offer does the same, but substitutes the ferry for a bus through tunnels (big downgrade) and is $349/person. The opposite route (counterclockwise) was not doable with available transportation and the port times that we had, but might be an option for others. Truly an amazing sightseeing day that unfortunately few probably got to experience this time around. Of note, there are tons of things to do in Bergen proper as well, if you'd rather (which you won't have time for if doing this itinerary). Also of note, it rained all day in Bergen, and was sunny for large portions of our excursion including most of the fjordcruise. Lucky us!

Questions?

Last edited:
Sounds like you had an awesome vacay! Thank you for sharing with details :)
We are leaving for Norway in 5 weeks and also renting a car in Alesund. Our plan is to do exactly what you did. I have a question about the route though- did you get the Avis people to program the route you needed into a GPS? Or did you have a map? I have found directions and road names online but they are a bit sketch. Thoughts?
Michelle

Terrific information and report. Thanks for posting.

I have a question about the route though- did you get the Avis people to program the route you needed into a GPS? Or did you have a map? I have found directions and road names online but they are a bit sketch. Thoughts?

Our car came with GPS built in at no cost. Just had to fiddle with the menu setting to convert to English. We also saw about 10 other cars exactly like it with the Avis logo on the side as we were driving around, it seemed like they had a fleet of those "Auris" types. There was one newer bridge that wasn't on the map that it didn't know about, but that was with us taking the scenic way back via the northern highways to avoid repeating any section of road. And we also had a free download map app of norway that someone else had posted that was backing us up, although that one did not do directions, just told you where you were.

There were not a lot of turns in general, as long as you knew what city you were headed towards you could have just as easily followed the signs towards those with a google maps printout or whatnot.

Related to the mapping app I mentioned above:

"iTunes has CityMaps2Go Pro (iOS App) for Free (normally $9.99).

Note, must purchase the app through the iTunes platform. Requires iOS 9.0 or later & compatible w/ iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch.

Deal Editor's Notes & Price Research: Offer valid only for June 14, 2017 or while promotion last. CityMaps2Go Pro is the ultimate app for travelers who want to be prepared wherever they go. Great for offline maps (when you have no internet connection/roaming)

Geiranger as you may of heard was a skipped port due to "high winds preventing usage of the seawall." They blasted the annoucement into the staterooms the night before at ~10pm, so they'd made the call early. Glad I didn't have kids sleeping at that point. Another shipped successfully went there the same day but they had their own tenders. So they ended up slowly cruising into the fjord, looking at Geiranger, and slowly cruising back out. The scenery missed in our case was a bike rental up the mountain for me, and a bus ride for the rest of the group, along with the waterfall hike. Pretty big bummer, but the perfect weather for the rest of the days meant we still fared pretty well. Still waiting for the refund to appear on my cc for the excursions, supposedly they sent it.

My excursion was deducted in the On Board Account final statement, so there was no real refund on my cc. I would check your final statement to see if they did the same.

My excursion was deducted in the On Board Account final statement, so there was no real refund on my cc. I would check your final statement to see if they did the same.

Just curious, did they substitute another port for the skipped one?

No. They did a slow sail into and out of the fjord. They had their guest speaker (Professor Dolberg) narrate for a couple of hours over the PA on the outside decks. They revamped the Navigator to make it an "at sea" day.

No. We still went thru Geiranger Fjord, but just as scenic cruising. I think they extended some of the cruising from the original as we went into some nooks that were bypassed on the way in.

We also did not get close enough to the end of the fjord to see the town of Geiranger, which was a bit of a pity IMO. On the way back we also went down towards Hellesylt and could see the small town there though. I have both the original and "updated" navigators and they really did not add much... there was nothing added for us adults to do that I noticed which was a bit of a downer. They played Pirates over and over again in the theatre even though that had been shown in the walt disney theatre at one point. It would have been nice to have variety that day. I liked the presenter very well, but there were some rude people making fun of him. I thought for having 0 time to prepare to talk for hours for us he did a great job.

My husband and I recalled the announcement being very close to 11pm... I couldn't believe how late they piped it into the staterooms!!

Edit - I remembered getting a text from the DCL app about the kayaking excursion being cancelled at the same time as the announcement - it came at 10:48pm.

Last edited:
I think the announcement came in so late that I was asleep until i couldn't hear it =P Only found out the next day when I check the navigators and the early morning announcement. We enjoyed Professor Dolberg narration of the Fjords a lot but some of us couldn't concentrate as the views are spectacular! And yes I wish the movies have more varieties that day, we've watched Pirates already, I was hoping Guardian Of Galaxy 2 have better times but in the end we missed it.

Note, must purchase the app through the iTunes platform. Requires iOS 9.0 or later & compatible w/ iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch.

Deal Editor's Notes & Price Research: Offer valid only for June 14, 2017 or while promotion last. CityMaps2Go Pro is the ultimate app for travelers who want to be prepared wherever they go. Great for offline maps (when you have no internet connection/roaming)
THANK YOU!! I downloaded the maps for the Norway/Iceland trip in a few weeks!

Thank you SO much! that is exactly the info that I was looking for!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter