Norway Magic 6/6/2015

Hi all,

My fiancé and I just booked onto this cruise and couldn't be more excited! It's our second cruise, both Disney, and we're travelling from the UK.

I'm a bit confused about the fish extender...we'd like to join, and are happy to arrange it if necessary. I can't figure out if it's already in progress?

Can't wait to see you all on board!

Charlotte

Welcome to the group

To anyone asking about the FE, I sadly have to point out the post above:

"Links to Cruise Meet discussion/Fish Extenders other than those on the DIS may not be posted or offered by any other means (PM, email, "search" directions, etc.)." I'm sorry. You are welcome to PM me with your party's information if you wish to be added (apparently that's still allowed, according to the post above).

Hi, we are new to Disney cruising and new to disboard. I have no idea what I am doing but we want to join the FE group. It took me forever to figure out what PM even meant and I have no idea how to do it. HELP, anyone!!

Last edited:
Hey everyone, This will be our 1st Disney cruise (me, hubby, daughter-10, niece-8). We are getting excited and really want to get into the FE group. How and who do I PM to get this accomplished. We promise to bring good stuff!!! Thanks

I haven't read through all 17 pages so I apologize if this has been covered. I received an email and it looks like a small refund is being given from DCL (this is usually because taxes and port fees have decreased slightly).
Strange, I haven't seen anything on my statement. I'll keep an eye out.

I have a question for those of you who have to move their clocks up this Sunday. I am Silver and can check in online on March 8th. Being in the west, I can check in either 2 or 3 hours before midnight, depending on when the clocks change. :surfweb: We don't change our clocks here in Arizona so I don't know when the official change takes place. Am I checking in 2 hours or 3 hours behind EST? Thanks for any help with this perplexing problem. :rolleyes:

I have a question for those of you who have to move their clocks up this Sunday. I am Silver and can check in online on March 8th. Being in the west, I can check in either 2 or 3 hours before midnight, depending on when the clocks change. :surfweb: We don't change our clocks here in Arizona so I don't know when the official change takes place. Am I checking in 2 hours or 3 hours behind EST? Thanks for any help with this perplexing problem. :rolleyes:

I am so glad you said something! We're in Europe, and our clocks don't change until March 29! But it looks like we'll still be good to go at 6 a.m. :)

Last edited:
Quick question, if I purchase a bottle of Grey Goose on board will I be able to take it to the cabin immediately? Arriving late in Copenhagen 6/5, not sure if I'll be able to find a liquor store before boarding.

Quick question, if I purchase a bottle of Grey Goose on board will I be able to take it to the cabin immediately? Arriving late in Copenhagen 6/5, not sure if I'll be able to find a liquor store before boarding.

Not sure about purchases on the ship, I think they might not allow them to be consumed on the ship itself. However, I would suggest to pick up a bottle at the airport shop on your way to Copenhagen (if you are connecting somewhere it might be safest to buy the bottle at the connecting airport). Bottles from airport shops are exempt from the liquid restrictions (if purchased after the security check).

Denmark is extremely expensive with regard to alcohol. And 6/5 is a public holiday in Denmark anyway.

If you are arriving in Denmark from another EU country, you will be able to shop at the Copenhagen airport shops after your arrival in CPH, before you get to baggage claim. You can check prices and get more info here: https://shop.cph.dk/en-GB/

My DH bought some Patron liqueur on board and it was delivered to our room the night before we departed sealed within an inch of its life with bubble wrap and packaging tape. I don't think you are allowed to buy duty free on the ship and consume it on board.

Do you have any Bevmo's or Total Wines near you. You can buy travel size bottles, put them in a ziplock bag and put them in our checked bags for consuming on board.

Does anyone know for sure if there is a formal and/or semi-formal night planned for this cruise?

My DH bought some Patron liqueur on board and it was delivered to our room the night before we departed sealed within an inch of its life with bubble wrap and packaging tape. I don't think you are allowed to buy duty free on the ship and consume it on board.

Do you have any Bevmo's or Total Wines near you. You can buy travel size bottles, put them in a ziplock bag and put them in our checked bags for consuming on board.

I don't know if you can buy duty free on the ship, I think all purchases have VAT added since we're not leaving the EU zones. Does anyone know for sure?

I don't know if you can buy duty free on the ship, I think all purchases have VAT added since we're not leaving the EU zones. Does anyone know for sure?

Yes, the cruise is leaving the EU, Norway is not part of the EU, it is only associated by the way of the European Economic Area (EEA) and is one of the member states of the European Free Trade Area (with Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Iceland). I think value added tax harmonisation (the cause for VAT being added on cruises that don't leave the EU) only applies within the EU and does not affect the EEA. I know that on the ferries between Norway and Germany there is still real duty free shopping possible. This is not the case if someone travels within the EU. I really hope we will not be hit with the 25% Danish VAT on all onboard purchases!!!

Yes, the cruise is leaving the EU, Norway is not part of the EU, it is only associated by the way of the European Economic Area (EEA) and is one of the member states of the European Free Trade Area (with Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Iceland). I think value added tax harmonisation (the cause for VAT being added on cruises that don't leave the EU) only applies within the EU and does not affect the EEA. I know that on the ferries between Norway and Germany there is still real duty free shopping possible. This is not the case if someone travels within the EU. I really hope we will not be hit with the 25% Danish VAT on all onboard purchases!!!

Ok, good. Wasn't sure if there was an exception if the country visited was EEA or not (I know Norway is not part of the EU).

Ok, good. Wasn't sure if there was an exception if the country visited was EEA or not (I know Norway is not part of the EU).

I just thought that a lot of Americans (and most of the posters here are from the USA) would have a hard time to figure out all the different European associations, unions, communities etc. It is confusing if you live here! :confused: And then Norway is not in the EU, but part of the Schengen treaty which lets you travel without border controls. While the UK is an EU member state, but not part of the Schengen treaty. It is pretty crazy.. :goodvibes

I am not totally sure about the no VAT. But I remember that I researched it a while ago and came to the conclusion that this cruise should not have a VAT problem. When I researched it, I read that it is mainly an issue with cruises leaving from Spain as ultimately it seems to be up to the country of the home port.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter