Not a Disney Trip--looking for some advice--a little long

debster812

<font color=blue>DIS Earth Angel!<br><font color=0
Hi All,

You are all so helpful and understanding, I thought I would post this here, and see if you could point me in the right direction.

I have a cousin who is one of the most amazing women I know. She is also profoundly deaf. She has a 9 year old daughter, and a 5 year old, severly autistic son. Oh yeah, and an 'uninvolved' husband who won't (or can't) deal with his current family situation. Hindsight being 20/20 he may actually have undiagnosed Aspberger's (but that's another post for another time).

Anyway....my cousin has gotten her courage up, and she and the 2 kids will be flying from Providence RI to Ft Myers FL in April to visit her parents. My cousin has flown ONCE in her life, it was a bumpy flight, full of turbulance, and she thought she was going to die, because she could not hear any of the overhead announcements, and none of her seatmates noticed her anxiety (not their fault) and tried to explain. She was flying solo.

Her parents and her siblings will not be local when she is flying out (parents in FL, her sister at a big time soccer tornament for her oldest)I am very local, and am happy to help. Is it worth a call to her airline's special services department to see if I would be allowed to go to the gate with them, and just help out with the kids, etc until they board? Is this allowed, and do you think her circumstance would warrant it?

I appreciate any and all input, advice, and suggestions. I don't want to be overbearing, I just want to help her, as she has had such a hard road of late.

Thanks everyone

Debbie

Originally posted by debster812
Is it worth a call to her airline's special services department to see if I would be allowed to go to the gate with them, and just help out with the kids, etc until they board? Is this allowed, and do you think her circumstance would warrant it?
Debbie
I have heard of people being allowed to go to the gate with a person who needs extra assistance, so it is worth a call.
There is a lot to think about - for example, how does she feel about flying again after her first trip was not so good? Have the children flown before? IF no, how do they react to new things?

Look on the website of the airline she would probably be using to find their disability information. You may find it on a customer service page, or you might have to do a search for "Disabilities" or "wheelchair" (I know she doesn't have/need one, but that's often the easiest way to fing the disabilities info page). Chances are they will have very little about services for customers with hearing deficits, but there is usually a TDD number on that page so she could call them herself with questions.
Besides maybe having assistance with boarding and getting off the plane, will she need any assistance on board? Will the flight attendents make sure information gets to her?

What airline are they flying on? Some are very responsive, some not.

re: turbulence - I've finally flown enough that it doesn't scare me. it happens. I know that my not help her, but turbulence, while uncomfortable, rarely (if ever?) has knocked a plane down! I used to hate it, but now I recognize it as a normal routine.

I'll be interested to find out what they offer in the way of help. Please keep us informed after your call, (which you should be able to make any time night or day).

Sue

I suspect the 9yo will be a tremendous help to her by being able to hear all the instructions and interpret for her where needed. You might want to spend some time with this child, if she hasn't flown a lot, going through all the procedures and explaining all the things that can happen.

It's sometimes the little things we don't think about that can be frightening. I know it took me several flights before I stopped jumping every time they retracted the landing gear. The big thump still startles me.

Sheila

Thanks everyone!!

The 9 year is actually QUITE the seasoned traveller. She has flown to and from FL 4 or 5 times with my cousin's sister and her family, and this summer, she and her father flew to Hawaii. I know she will be a GREAT help, I just hate the thought of her feeling like she has to be 'in charge'. She has had to grow up so much, and so quickly given her family situation.

They are flying on Spirit Air, and I've not ever had any dealings with them, so I don't know how they will react.

My cousin is resigned to the fact that she 'has to' do this, and try and conquer her fear. Her doctor has given her some 'coping strategies', and she really does not want to medicate herself as well.

I'm hopeful that if we can get in touch with the right people at the airline, we can make sure that the flight crew can let her know what is going on.

Thanks for the input everyone

Debbie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter