• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not accepting the Disney gift cards for payment?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
With the report of the system being down and not accepting DGCards for payment, what would one do if that is all they had to pay off a resort balance for their trip on their check out day? I can't imagine having a balance of a grand or two and having payment in the form of the gift cards and them not accepting such. Anyone heard of this happening today?

I was checking in one time at BWV and the system was down so they could not enter credit cards or gift cards, or anything. They had a manual list of guests checking in and were telling people who had not put a credit card on file during online check in that they would have to come back and set up a payment method the next day. The situation was compounded by the fact that dining credits weren’t working either, so people were having to pay cash for food. It was a mess.

I am sure there were guests checking out during that period, since it lasted about a day and a half. I would assume that if the guests had a credit card on file, any balance due would be billed to that card. If it were me, I would at least ask if they can make a physical note with the gift card info and apply it when the computers are working properly, but I would expect my cc to be billed if they couldn’t. It may depend on whether their system is completely down, as it was for me, or just unable to accept payments (meaning they should be able to add notes to the folio regarding payment).

If you are using a gift card, don’t you go to the desk every few days to pay off the current balance so they don’t bill your cc? I have read that most people do that. If so, that would reduce the risk of your credit card being billed the full amount at one time. It’s a pain when the payment systems go down, but when traveling it’s always a good idea to have an alternate source of payment available.

For me, the bigger issue would be mobile order. I have a gift card to use just for mobile ordering, and it’s a big pain to do mobile order and pay cash.

I never have had the issue arise with us, but I know that I will have at least around a grand on gift cards to use to pay off various charges during our trip. Shouldn't be any issues, but boy would I hate to have to unexpectedly put that grand on a credit card.

I always just have them transfer my whole gift card balance to my account when I check in so I don't have this problem. If there is any balance left at the end of the stay, it just goes back to the gift card.

I always just have them transfer my whole gift card balance to my account when I check in so I don't have this problem. If there is any balance left at the end of the stay, it just goes back to the gift card.

I haven't known them to do this in years. How recently did they do this? The cruiseline system allows it, but from all reports no one has been able to do it at WDW for several years now.

I haven't known them to do this in years. How recently did they do this? The cruiseline system allows it, but from all reports no one has been able to do it at WDW for several years now.
As @Dug720 posted....I know the Disney cruiselines can do that but I've never known that to be the case at the resorts recently.

They did it for me at Boardwalk in January 2020 and at Beach Club in October 2019. Didn't have any problems at all. It showed up as credit on my bill immediately and then I just watched the balance dwindle until it finally started hitting my card (I also had one on file as I ALWAYS underestimate what I need to have in gift cards lol)!

They did it for me at Boardwalk in January 2020 and at Beach Club in October 2019. Didn't have any problems at all. It showed up as credit on my bill immediately and then I just watched the balance dwindle until it finally started hitting my card (I also had one on file as I ALWAYS underestimate what I need to have in gift cards lol)!

We were told that this was not possible in February. Did you have to get a manager to do it?

Very weird. I've been told every visit since 2015 that it is not possible.

We were told that this was not possible in February. Did you have to get a manager to do it?

I did not ask for that but the CM who was checking us in was earning her ears, so her trainer showed her how to do it.

I did not ask for that but the CM who was checking us in was earning her ears, so her trainer showed her how to do it.

I'm going to guess that you got very lucky. I'd not count on being able to do it again as every other person who has reported having asked to do it has not been able to.

I do believe that the theory of people tossing their gift cards and then needing some money refunded could be very much an issue. But I also believe that people will watch their spending more with a debit verses a credit, and Disney would not prefer they not do that.

With the national coin shortage, so many places are not accepting cash and will only take credit/debit/gift cards or other forms of electronic payment. What on earth would you do at Disney if you couldn’t pay with cash and then their system went down? Isn’t the AKL on some sort of “cashless” payment system? I am one of those people who has my trip “prepaid” with gift cards so I would be in a big pickle if they couldn’t take my gift card funds.

With the national coin shortage, so many places are not accepting cash and will only take credit/debit/gift cards or other forms of electronic payment. What on earth would you do at Disney if you couldn’t pay with cash and then their system went down? Isn’t the AKL on some sort of “cashless” payment system? I am one of those people who has my trip “prepaid” with gift cards so I would be in a big pickle if they couldn’t take my gift card funds.
Even though the odds are low, I was thinking the same thing. Here I am ready to check out, needing to leave for home and the gift card option isn't available? Have a 1500.00 balance I would have to put on my credit card before leaving? Not worried at all about this really, but I just wondered if such has happened to anyone this weekend?

Even though the odds are low, I was thinking the same thing. Here I am ready to check out, needing to leave for home and the gift card option isn't available? Have a 1500.00 balance I would have to put on my credit card before leaving? Not worried at all about this really, but I just wondered if such has happened to anyone this weekend?

If you had that balance at check-out, it would have been because you had made the charges to your room the day before. Each type of resort has a max they allow to be put on the account before they run the credit card through.

I had no problem using cash in the gift shop or The Mara at AKL last year. Used GC to pay off the room charges.

I had no problem using cash in the gift shop or The Mara at AKL last year. Used GC to pay off the room charges.
It is currently cashless since the main resort isn’t open and they aren’t staffing the front desk (you have to go to Kidani (we just got an email about it)). Sadly, the Mara isn’t even open ;(. Honestly, I don’t have a problem of walking over every couple of days and using my gift card to pay my balance, but it seems dumb not just to run it in the beginning. On the cruise line they make a big deal about “keep your gift card” because if there is a balance left at the end (yeah right lol) it will go back to the gift card. My family does only debit, no credit cards anyway, so maybe that’s why they took the gift card- since I don’t have a “major credit card”? We do have Schwab so I think sometimes people think it is a credit card but it’s only debit. No real clue- but I will let you know on October 4th what happens!

We did it December 2018, I gave them $1000 GC to add to our account during check in. At the end of our stay I had a balance, they just added it back to the GC I originally used. They did make sure I still had it which was nice. This was a POP if that helps.
We are going back this December and planned on doing the same thing

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter