• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not afraid to dine alone 🍴in WDW. Suggestions please.

Hop on the Skyliner and pony up to the bar at Topolino's.. Great food, views and service. I go to WDW solo about 4-5 times a year and always make a point to eat at Topolino's on every trip. Even though I don't drink I prefer to sit at the bar. Always meet some nice people. Some other go-to's.....
  • Back bar at Jaleo
  • Steakhouse71 Lounge/Bar
  • Citrico's Lounge/Bar
  • Toledo
  • Hollywood Brown Derby
  • California Grill
Have a great trip! Solo trips are the best!

It really depends on what type of food and dining experience you want. Do you want to stay in the parks or go to a resort? What kind of budget? As others have said the options are limitless and you will get all sorts of suggestions. Anywhere on property is fine for a solo diner, I go solo often and have never had an issue (for reference I'm a woman in her mid-60s). I would suggest maybe you look at some menus then go from there. Reviews are going to be subjective since everyone has their own experience and tastes. For example: someone upthread suggested a chef table. I come from a family of restaurateurs, the last thing I want to do is eat in the kitchen, been there done that more times then I care to remember. Jiko gets a lot of great reviews, my son and I ate there before the trying times when it was supposed to be one of the best places on property and we thought it was just o.k. The service was o.k. but not great, I'd even say borderline not good, the food was good but not the best, it was actually a one and done for us. We, however, love Tiffins and it doesn't always get good reviews.

Jiko gets a lot of great reviews, my son and I ate there before the trying times when it was supposed to be one of the best places on property and we thought it was just o.k. The service was o.k. but not great, I'd even say borderline not good, the food was good but not the best, it was actually a one and done for us. We, however, love Tiffins and it doesn't always get good reviews.
I know everyone's experiences can be different. We won't go back to some places that others rave about (as you even state about Tiffins!). But we ate at both Jiko and Tiffins earlier this month, and for us they were both outstanding dinners - the service was what we considered elite and very Disney, and the food was really good. This trip for us had some of the best dining experiences since the pandemic closed things down - dining for us was pretty mediocre for awhile. I know it's not everything when dining, but that outstanding server really can make a big difference, can't they?

If I got to go alone, I would go to Nomad Lounge all day every day at MK
Also I would wait in the line to finally get into Trader Sams
Jock Lindsey is another great solo place
Bar at Homecomin’
Brown Derby lounge is fun, as is Baseline Taphouse at DHS
Territory Lounge at WL

Hollywood Brown Derby is fantastic, has a great cocktail menu, and can be done for a good value.

Wine Bar George is easy to walk in and sit at the bar. They have mostly small plates with one steak and one chicken option for full entrees.

Oga's isn't much on food, but the seating style lends itself to discussion with strangers, which I think is really neat. Trader Sam's does this also.

We've had great experiences sitting at the bar at Nomad Lounge and Geyser Point. The bartenders were friendly and the food and drinks were good.

Oga's isn't much on food, but the seating style lends itself to discussion with strangers, which I think is really neat. Trader Sam's does this also.
These are hardly "elevated, adult experiences" that the OP was asking about.

Oga's and Trader Sam's are peak Imagineering with adult beverages. Sounds elevated and adult to me? I don't have bars like this in my town.
I think for folks who are looking for amazing imagineering experiences they are great suggestions.
The OP sounded like they were looking for an elevated, fabulous sit down meal.

These are hardly "elevated, adult experiences" that the OP was asking about.
I consider them more of an adult experience than many Disney restaurants and great options for a solo traveler. The settings on the water elevate the experience for me, but I’m pretty easy to please.

I did Flying Fish solo when DH was ill on our last couple trip. The food was great, but the table they had me at was pretty crammed. I didn’t feel awkward dining alone, except that I was 3 ft away from parties on either side.

If you’re looking for seriously elevated for a solo diner in that area at a table, I’d consider Takumi Tei, which looks freaking amazing (I’m kind of considering it for an upcoming solo trip!) and Monsieur Paul, which was recently detailed and looked incredible! Otherwise, I have to agree that lounge/bar dining is not a bad idea, with Flying Fish up there. I haven’t been to the Riviera or GDT at CS at all, though!

Two words ... FLYING FISH! ::yes::

(I don't mind eating alone either, did it with my job on the road often. Personal preference, but even at elevated dining I always liked the bar when I was solo. FF has a bar to dine at as well.)

Or, as a single or couple there, you are inserted in a larger group that is traveling together. That situation has been hit or miss for us on a few occasions.

odd as, as when it’s applicable, the greeter is very clear that you will be assigned to a table with another party.:confused3

like the OP, have moonlighted as a bartender, have been told I can carry on a conversation with a rock. However, I also can read cues and, in that sort of instance, wait for the other part to engage past the usual brief responsive greeting.

specifically at Oga’s, upon extending a mere hello when joining both standing & sitting tables; have encountered people respond by giving the coldest of shoulders. once, a group summoned the server complaining we were intruding. :darth: Appears we were not the droids they were looking for. To his credit, the served managed to keep a straight face & we got the 2nd round on the house.

it’s the only place onsite at WDW that I’ve run into anything like that. We visit often, have only had these rare, awkward moments. However, felt it prudent to mention the possibility for solo travelers. That sort of thing generally rolls off my back You have to laugh that sort of ignorant behavior off, as disney does attract it’s share of people who are obviously out of their element interacting with “strangers”.

Or, as a single or couple there, you are inserted in a larger group that is traveling together. That situation has been hit or miss for us on a few occasions.

odd as, as when it’s applicable, the greeter is very clear that you will be assigned to a table with another party.:confused3

like the OP, have moonlighted as a bartender, have been told I can carry on a conversation with a rock. However, I also can read cues and, in that sort of instance, wait for the other part to engage past the usual brief responsive greeting.

specifically at Oga’s, upon extending a mere hello when joining both standing & sitting tables; have encountered people respond by giving the coldest of shoulders. once, a group summoned the server complaining we were intruding. :darth: Appears we were not the droids they were looking for. To his credit, the served managed to keep a straight face & we got the 2nd round on the house.

it’s the only place onsite at WDW that I’ve run into anything like that. We visit often, have only had these rare, awkward moments. However, felt it prudent to mention the possibility for solo travelers. That sort of thing generally rolls off my back You have to laugh that sort of ignorant behavior off, as disney does attract it’s share of people who are obviously out of their element interacting with “strangers”.
This is really helpful. I’m on the fence about Ogas because I’ve heard so much . I’m always about giving a place a chance but I’m not willing to spend $20 on a maybe cocktail lol

Not sure the location will work, but I experienced (pre-Covid) the chef preparation table to Jiko, at AKL-Jambo house. It was an amazing experience. But to be honest, I'm not sure how to request such a seat post-Covid. Perhaps (if you're interested), you could contact the restaurant and ask. The food, the interactions with the chefs/guests - all a tremendous experience in one of the most beautiful restaurants on WDW property. Probably not helping much - but maybe something to consider. Like I said, it was a great solo experience just a few years ago. Enjoy your trip!
Nikki’s def on my bucket list

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter