Not booking FP+ until I see weather report!

shaynar

Mouseketeer
I figure you guys will agree with me here.

I'm starting to plan our Jan trip, looking at crowd calendars to figure out which park on which day etc, but I know that if it's nice we'll want to lay low and enjoy the pools, maybe rent a boat, etc. So I'm thinking I'll just buy a 6 day ticket (we'll be there for 8) and take whatever days off are nice and warm. (If there are!) But that means I can't plan my FP+!

(I know it's not a big deal - just venting! I'll plan my FP+ and then change them as needed, but still bothersome because I like to plan :D )

Why don't you make your FP+ then change or cancel if needed? By waiting last minute it will be more difficult yo get preferred times for popular rides like TT, Soarin, TSM, etc. and don't you have ADRs?

My last trip I modified my plans extensively (both ADRs and FP+) while at WDW but I never regretted making them in advance!

Not something I would do. How are you planning your ADRs? Are you only choosing places outside the parks? Would you happy to find limited headliner FP availability for your park days?

Whenever we went to WDW in Jan, we simply assumed it would be too cold to swim or hang by the pool. We planned our park/ non park days as usual. IF, and only IF we ran into weather issues, would we then think about possibly changing our plans.

I think you may be surprised by the low temps in Jan. I've been at WDW in January when it has snowed. This doesn't happen on a regular basis, but it does happen. I've watched locals pull on parkas and balaclavas to ride Test Track and Everest. Temps average 50-60 F in this time period. While kind of balmy for us Canadians compared to what we have back home, it probably isn't lay by the pool weather for most of us either. I would flip your reasoning upside down and count on it not being good pool weather. Definitely make those FP for headliner attractions as soon as you are able. Then, if you happen to get a nice day when you don't mind pulling on your sweatshirt to sunbathe by the pool :-), you can make changes at that time. A safer strategy. If in doubt, check online for some of the Orlando historical weather charts for Jan. ps don't forget to pack your jeans, hoodies, a warm jacket & gloves for the parks.

Thank you all for your responses!
We always go in January, so we're prepared for the cold. But I do also know that it's completely random - some days at 26 degrees and other 10. IF (and that's a big IF) it's warm enough we would rather take some time off and enjoy the resort.

We always plan for 2 or 3 days off (for a 9 day vacation) so while I have a rough plan now but I need to have it flexible enough to change it.

In terms of ADRs, we stay in the villas so we usually make our own food.

The thread was mostly a vent, I will, of course, book my fp+ 60 days out with my loose plan in my head.

I would still book the hardest to get (TSM, TT, 7 Dwarves, A&E) and just go from there.

I'm a take it or leave it kind of gal with FPs. I gave up searching for the perfect FPs for our MK day on December 23 about a week before we left for our trip. It was stressing me out too much! We had an ADR for dinner at CRT. We had never been to WDW that time of year before. Previously we've been late January/early February or late March/early April, so I was really anxious about the crowds. The only thing on our "must-do" list was 7DMT so we decided to just head there first thing and be prepared to wait in line. I used Touring Plans and came up with a plan that I thought would work out OK for us. On December 22, I did end up getting some FPs for Space Mountain (hubby's fave), Monsters Inc (a highlight from our last trip) and Under the Sea (new!) so I re-worked our TP keeping in mind that as long as DD got to do 7DMT, we used our FPs and we made our ADR, I would consider our day a success. DD wasn't into the Princess thing anymore so the M&G were not a priority at all for us. The FPs ended up working great for us and we even ended up getting another FP for Haunted Mansion (never done before), which I was really excited to get. We hit 7DMT first thing and the posted time was 45 minutes but it was actually more like 30 minutes (and felt even shorter than that). The rest of the day was great. We did a lot in FantasyLand in the morning (Mad Tea Party, Dumbo - those 2 are my faves - Small World - MIL's fave, Philharmagic - a sit down break my FIL with a sore back really appreciated). For some reason, we hit almost no lines for these attractions. Its like the crowds parted for us. We just simply lucked out. It was getting really busy though so we found a good spot for the parade (had lunch and ice cream while we waited), then our FPs for SM and MI were in the afternoon so we hung around Tomorrowland/Fantasy Land until it was time for Under the Sea and then it was time for dinner. Dinner was great and we got a good spot for the Castle Lighting. Hubby's parents then decided they had enough and left. By that time, I had scored our FPs for HM so we headed there and then found a spot for Wishes. By that time, we were pretty much done but walked around for a bit, couldn't agree what to do next so we left. Could we have done a lot more? Yes for sure. We didn't spend time anytime at all in AdventureLand or FrontierLand but we've been before and there was nothing there we REALLY wanted to do. Did our FPs help? For sure, but I don't think it would have ruined our day if we didn't have them. We would have waited in line for Space Mountain and missed Small World if we had to. We just went in with the "We are at Disney at Christmas - this is awesome!" attitude and had a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter