Not doing DDP mainly because I hate leaving large tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with paying tips if you've received appropriate service.

However, I would like to put in to context how much some waiters/waitresses are earning with tips?

How much would the average waiter/waitress earn it tips of a night lets say at one of the downtown disney restaurants? Is there an average number of tables an individual is expected to wait on per hour?

I agree that you should work on the premise that tips are expected. Therefore, I will always tip for service which is average or above.

I've only ever once not tipped and actually asked the manager to remove it from the bill at Coral Reef. We were ignored, then the items we wanted were sold out, then brought the wrong order after an hour, then sent the steak back twice for being well done when we asked for rare (we accepted the third well done steak because by this time every one else was done eating). Then when my OH went to find the waitress to pay the bill as she had gone AWOL for 30 mins, he found her b-tching about our table to a colleague.

We very rarely complain about anything, but that was just atrocious and there was no way they were getting a tip.

I agree with paying tips if you've received appropriate service.

However, I would like to put in to context how much some waiters/waitresses are earning with tips?

How much would the average waiter/waitress earn it tips of a night lets say at one of the downtown disney restaurants? Is there an average number of tables an individual is expected to wait on per hour?

We ate at a Chinese Buffett in international drive and we refused to pay the tip there, our waitress welcomed us in and and took us to our table then we didn't see her again until she bought the bill over(which we had to find someone for to ask for it) we didn't even receive our drinks until the end of the meal! Even after asking her for them numerous times, I will always pay tips but if I don't receive the appropriate service I will not pay the tip!

I think part of the issue comes from cultural differences, and also expectations. Having received very poor service in Applebys, it can be hard to justify why you should pay a certain percentage of the bill.

I know that wait staff get paid $3 ish dollars per hour (minimum wage, less expected tip) and that minimum wage is about $8 per hour, so for average service you would think that perhaps $10 per cover would still give a decent basic wage?

I always follow the 15% - 20% rule but tbh I do puzzle just how and who thought up the expected percentages.

OP we have a very different point of view on the tipping issue, but as most posters on here have already echoed my thoughts I'm not going to repeat what's already been made plain.

I DO understand your gripe about the value of the dining plan and agree with you on this, as do many others.

I also realize that as a DVC owner you don't benefit from free dining so you are probably viewing it in terms of value a little differently to most of the UK guests who are able to travel during the extensive promotion which does make it very different.

I think in your case, tips aside, from what little you mentioned in your first post, the dining plan is perhaps not suited [as a paid for extra] to your eating habits on holiday. Once you recognize whether or not it suits your style and budget, you're already a winner. It's probably one of the most frequently asked questions related to the dining plan.

I don't think that's a great loss. For those of us going during free dining it's a no brainer as there is no alternative/cheaper room rate for foregoing the FD offer.

From what I've heard some Disney Waiting staff earn in excess of $100K per annum.

I personally think this is obsence as some Police, Fireman, Armed forces, Medically qualified staff that help people and save lives don't earn that type of money in either the UK or US.

I think the whole tipping in Disney of 18% needs a review.

You need to ask yourselves why are there such long waiting lists on becomming waiting staff at some disney restaurants?

You need to ask yourselves why are there such long waiting lists on becomming waiting staff at some disney restaurants?

I don't see why Disney needs to review the 18% - that's not a Disney practice - it's give or take, the average anywhere in the US. The issue is just as Mr Romance pointed out: Disney prices at their restaurants. If your bill for your family was $100 i don't see it as unreasonable to leave $120. When your bill for that same or similar type meal in a Disney restaurant is to the tune of $180, leaving $40 makes it a very expensive evening out, particularly if you are dining this way every day for 2 or 3 weeks. It's all relative

When your bill for that same or similar type meal in a Disney restaurant is to the tune of $180, leaving $40 makes it a very expensive evening out, particularly if you are dining this way every day for 2 or 3 weeks. It's all relative

On the other hand, this is a resort, this is Disney, this is vacations, somehow it's "supposed to" be more expensive. (not that it's right or "normal" but it's the way things go on vacations)

We know Disney is expensive in every aspect. It's part of a budget. Wether it suits our need or our budget is something we consider in advance.

But you can't really compare a meal outside of WDW and a meal onsite.

Eating OFFsite (when you stay ONsite) means you need a car. (of course a car gives you the opportunity of going places (universal, seaworld, malls, outlets ... and to spend even more money)
but if you get a car to specifically go eat offsite, not only will you lose precious time, but you'll also effectively add £30 or more to your TS meal if you do one per day.
All in all you'll pay the same price as the Disney price, but you might even pay more because eating offsite will ring the "it's cheaper" bell inside your head, and you might get tempted by an appetizer or another drink ...
(on the other hand, staying offsite to eat cheaper mean that you'll eat at Disney's more often than you care to do, because it's difficult to get out of property for lunch and go back, and you need to pay for parking, but this is another story)

On a personal level, I don't compare the prices of offsite vs onsite when it comes to restaurant. I consider the convinience of being onsite, and even if it's more expensive on property, the benefit of being able to stay "inside" often outweighs the higher price.

It's expensive alright, but we know it in advance and we can't be caught off guard, so I guess it's ok :)

I don't see why Disney needs to review the 18% - that's not a Disney practice - it's give or take, the average anywhere in the US. The issue is just as Mr Romance pointed out: Disney prices at their restaurants. If your bill for your family was $100 i don't see it as unreasonable to leave $120. When your bill for that same or similar type meal in a Disney restaurant is to the tune of $180, leaving $40 makes it a very expensive evening out, particularly if you are dining this way every day for 2 or 3 weeks. It's all relative

^ this. Well said.

Right... this is not a Disney thing, this is an American thing. It's one of the accepted practices that have evolved over the years. It's the reality of eating in a table service restaurant of any type in this country.

From what I've heard some Disney Waiting staff earn in excess of $100K per annum.

I personally think this is obsence as some Police, Fireman, Armed forces, Medically qualified staff that help people and save lives don't earn that type of money in either the UK or US.

I don't know where you heard that but I would be stunned if that were true. Disney are among the lowest paying employers in the country because they work on the premise that it is an honour to work for them and they are never struggling to find staff for ANY position. There are a couple of servers at WDW that offer exemplary service and have done for years. Ricardo at the Yachtsman springs to mind here. I'm sure he earns a very good wage (we have tipped him 30+% in the past) because he offers an amazing service. However, I would doubt that even he makes $100k a year.

Right... this is not a Disney thing, this is an American thing. It's one of the accepted practices that have evolved over the years. It's the reality of eating in a table service restaurant of any type in this country.

Before I comment let me start by saying that we always tip 20% unless we have really poor service and that has never happened. I've been told that a lot of people in the States tip 15% (I've asked lots of people that I know over there) for decent service and between 15-20% for excellent service. If that is the case then the suggested 18 - 20% tip that is worked out on the individual bills is a Disney thing, isn't it?

I'm just trying to make people sit up and take notice.

I also agree with comments that $20 is more than enough in most cases. This is dependent on the size of your party.

Basic calculations show that it is easily possible for waiting staff that are full time to be on very good money in excess of $100K.

I'm sure it's very hard work, however, we need to think about all the skilled people as mentioned before, this is why I guess life is not always fair. I'd like to think a Doctor that is in a position of trust and having the responsibility of making decisions that could be life saving would be on more money than a person that is dependent on tips.

I appreciate that the tipping whether it be a 15, 18 or 20% is felt to be mandatory across the US. In busy restaurants which lets face it most in Disney are busy, serving staff at Disney in most cases are doing very nicely.

Now does this make me feel bitter about what that individual is earning - no not really - good luck to them. Do I think its unjust compared to what others earn in position of trust - yes I do. Am I going to feel bad if I don't tip 18% and only 15% - not really.

Before I comment let me start by saying that we always tip 20% unless we have really poor service and that has never happened. I've been told that a lot of people in the States tip 15% (I've asked lots of people that I know over there) for decent service and between 15-20% for excellent service. If that is the case then the suggested 18 - 20% tip that is worked out on the individual bills is a Disney thing, isn't it?

I agree, it was always 15% until Disney and the catering unions had the bright idea of squeezing it a little further to 18% - 20%

The fact a large proportion of people eating are on a pre-paid plan at a fixed cost it seems a little strange that any trumped up price Disney choose to then place on the food in order to give the plans value, that in may cases would not be ordered if that was the actual cost to the person has then an expectation of being tipped at 18% of the trumped up price rather than 18% of the actual cost paid for that meal within the plan.

If people really are earning 100k a year in low skilled sever work and this really wouldn't surprise me, its time people in higher skilled work earning less found this out and started tipping accordingly to the value of what they really are receiving rather than feeling pressurised into overpaying which really is what this system has become.

The delux plan for 3 meals a day is $100.

$100/3 = 33.33

$33.33 * 0.18 = $6

So a more than fair tip is $6 per person per meal or $12 at signature restaurants as this is the cost of what you have paid for the food regardless of what is eaten. This is actually generous as it does not place any value at all on the snacks. Perhaps you may choose to reduce this to $5 for typical service and place a value on the snacks in this case.

I think that if you want to save money on tipping, then ditching the DDP is a good way to do it. IMO, it's more than the percentage being tipped (18% is pretty standard here in the US) but the cost of the meal that needs to be tipped on. Disney prices have become so inflated in the last couple of years that you end up tipping on more and more of a base cost. Instead of Disney restaurants you can enjoy off-site restaurants at a fraction of the price or order less expensive meals at WDW restaurants because you don't have a need to "maximize" your DDP experience.

ETA:

I agree, it was always 15% until Disney and the catering unions had the bright idea of squeezing it a little further to 18% - 20%.
Um ... no. Even back in 2006 when the tip was included it was 18%. You may not like it, but 18% is now the industry standard and not just at WDW.

Do Disney servers share any of their tips with those who prepare the meals at table restaurants and if so what is the normal percentage that they would share?

I ask this as I just seen on Disney careers a job advertised for a full-time Culinary Cook at a Signature Restaurant in Walt Disney World at a starting rate of $11.45 to $12.28 /hour. https://sjobs.brassring.com/tgwebhost/jobdetails.aspx?partnerid=25348&siteid=5039&jobid=100572

As stated previously, most servers are only paid $2-$3 an hour by Disney so once they receive $10 in tips per hour then they're on the same rate as those who prepare those fine outstanding culinary dishes, so I wonder how much of their tips is shared?

Don't get me wrong I loved the free dining plan but we found that we were leaving $40 tip for the 3 of us. We can eat offsite for around the same. Given that its alot more expensive to stay at a Dvc resort then I guess I just don't think the dining plan is really free. I can't believe how expensive some if the character buffets are. This year we have 5 booked and as there will be 7 of us that's an automatic 18% for a buffet where you are helping yourself. I know the wait staff are still working very hard but I would really love to know what the take home pay is for someone working at say California grill and someone at an offsite place like Longhornes(which we love).

I believe that if a member of staff is on a paid salary above minimum wage (such as the role above) then most likely they will not get a share of the tips. I'm not whistle blowing as its common knowledge.

By the sounds of it most would agree that the overcharging for meals at Disney does have a knock on with the tip. I'd personally feel more inclined to leave a bigger say 20% tip at a restaurant outside of disney that does not get the same throughput of custom. Still if you have a good service then leave an appropriate tip.

I just think 18 - 20% can sometimes be a bit excessive as this puts some waiting staff on over $100 per hour tips alone. Not bad hey.

I'm sure most can work it out for themselves but if they wait on 5 tables in an hour which is achievable and each table leaves $20 then its not a bad earner.

I believe in the US if you were on this money then you are suppose to be taxed 28% on declared earnings. In the UK for that type of money its 40% tax bracket.

Done the Dining plan for past 4 years, really enjoyed the different restaurants Disney have to offer, the first time we paid £80\nt at OKW including free DDP for 3 of us, last year paid £118/nt. Even paying 18% tip on every TS meal I felt it was good value.
This year the cost has rocketed(next year even more) both for the cost of OKW & the value of meals(extra tips) Good luck to them I say, I know the cost and I have a choice, I choose to opt out and stay offsite again & eat offsite.
I am perfectly happy to tip 18% offsite on meals that cost half the price of Disney, if offsite tipping gets too expensive for me I stop going to the US.

I tip what I feel the service is worth on-site and off-site.

I hate all that talk that those who work a buffet only deserve 15% umm they still serve.

Of course I totally appreciate how the more expensive the food bill the more you will need to tip but it is the custom and practice of the US of A and therefore peeps need to suck it up or eat at more inexpensive places.

What I don't like is being in a restaurant and having to be reminded of the suggested gratuity amounts simply by my accent but after reading some of this thread I totally understand why servers feel they need to remind me :(

Everyone has a choice...and lots of it in Orlando... of where you can eat. If you don't want to pay a lot for gratuity then perhaps do not do the DDP and then maybe I can get a better shot at ADR's ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter