• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not excited for trip in 2 days

Iggipolka

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
I don't know what's wrong with me, but I'm honestly kinda dreading our upcoming WDW trip July 20-Aug1st.

My wife, myself and our 2 kids (5&8) are meeting up with my brother SIL & their two kids (16&18). The kids adore each other & our reservations are linked at the same resort, so hopefully we'll be close by.

We haven't been to WDW in three years, & I only get to see family every 4-6 months, so I should be excited. Instead, I'm dreading the travel, the heat, the crowds, balancing what my young kids need with my desire to hang out with my brother/nieces/spouse.

We're using military tickets that can't be activated until we are at the park the first day, so I can't make any FastPass reservations ahead of time. Knowing that other people are able to do so prior to arrival is stressing me out that we won't get any.

My younger child ended up in the ER last time we went with a 106 degree fever due to heat stroke in September, so I've bought cooling towels & shirts for everyone.
We're flying from the West coast & while I adjust quickly to EST & want to be at the parks early AM & resort by noon for rest & pool & park around 6pm, my spouse doesn't adjust to time change well & who knows how the kids will be.

I really want to see Pandora and my SIL can't stand AK, plus no fast passes will be available able for the banshee ride.

Arugh. So much stress for a "fun" vacation.

How have others dealt with the worries & not being excited for a WDW trip due to all the unknowns?

I know this is easier said than done but make enjoyment your priority. Don't worry about what you do or don't ride. Don't worry about where you do or don't eat. Prioritize smiling and laughing. That's what you are there for. Take frequents breaks, hydrate, and most of all smile!

Good luck!

Yikes. I'm stressed just reading all that.

I wish I had advice for you. We take our kids out of school in November to avoid the heat and crowds.

But it's Disney World! How can you not have fun? At least you know what you're facing, and can be prepared, especially mentally. I'm sure you'll have a good time with your family!

We're using military tickets that can't be activated until we are at the park the first day, so I can't make any FastPass reservations ahead of time. Knowing that other people are able to do so prior to arrival is stressing me out that we won't get any.
You can link these tickets in your MDE account and book your FPs as soon as they are linked. Do that immediately.

The linked Confirmation number allows your FP Booking window to open... activate the tickets to enter the park.

Military Salute voucher and FP+

Honestly when we travel together, our grandkids just love being with each other. It sounds like your kids and your brother's kids do as well despite their age difference. You have several days so you don't have to rush. That's a real plus. I would make FP when you get there for whatever you can get. It doesn't matter if they aren't headliners. Go to the park and use your FP and try to get more or just wander...or if you've had it for the day, go back to the resort and hang out at the pool. Doesn't matter if it's not even noon. You can order pizza, just do easy things. Play games and just enjoy being together. If you want to see Pandora, just go early on your own or try getting a FP for yourself. Everyone doesn't have to do the same thing to enjoy. It sounds like it could be a really fun trip!

It sounds like you're taking precautions to avoid any overheating issues. There's a thread that if I have time I can link to where someone was dreading their August trip because of the heat and a lot of people put some good tips in there. You might scan for that. Drink plenty of water, use your cooling towels, take a break and don't try to rush through everything, walk through the shops when you can to get some AC.

Try to stay optimistic.

You absolutely can get FastPasses ahead of time! There is a code on the back that you put in and the tickets become "active" enough for FastPasses. Then when you go to the parks, they will officially activate the tickets and you are good to go. That stinks that you didn't know that sooner :( We have done many trips using military tickets.

I get stressed before our trips and don't want to go..there is so much buildup and then I want everything to go ok and I just panic. I do enjoy myself once I arrive, so that's a positive. But I understand how you feel.

Everyone doesn't have to do the same thing to enjoy.

I think this is key! With two sets of parents and two older teenagers, there are a lot of different combinations of who hangs out with who. I would definitely want to set the "no one is joined at the hip" tone right from the beginning. Obviously the two younger kids can't be off on their own, but they could stay with one parent, one aunt or uncle, or if the cousins are responsible enough - with them! You and your brother (or wife) might be able to head over to AK to check out Pandora one night while your wife (or brother) and/or SIL hang at the resort or take the little ones to MK.

It's going to be fun! :)

ognvJwK.jpg

Go to animal kingdom early when your wife and kids are asleep! Rope drop and have a shorter wait for flight of passage, by the time you're back at the resort, hopefully they'll be ready! I bet the older kids would be down to go with you too!

Yes do this and Navi right after this and your trip will be made. Navi very very underated..

Don't stress! Honestly, the FP situation isn't as bad as you think. The Pandora rides, and to a lesser extent FEA and 7DMT are hard to get, but everything else is very doable. And if you can't find what you want, look the day of. People change their plans much more the day of-- running late, decide to go to a different park, etc. They cancel their FP, and then great FP show up all the time! If you don't see what you want, just refresh. I will say, FPs are harder to get in Epcot and MK when they have evening EMH, so be aware of that.

FEA has had short waits recently before WS opens, so you don't even really need a FP.

For FoP, I kept seeing people say they got those same day, and I NEVER saw them. The key? Look for one at a time, and modify till you get overlapping times.

We did the afternoon break, but we only rope dropped once on our most recent trip. You don't have to be there at RD. We sometimes did 10am - 1pm, and then evening. Or, it's fun to do just evening-- and less hot.

Have fun!

They key is to not bank on getting on any particular ride, not pressure yourself to fit everything in, and to dump the "herd" mentality. Just enjoy being there. If you are not used to doing this it will be challenging but this is how we have always approached our trips and it works! If we set the expectations low, we always exceed them. Even if you don't get on a particular ride, a day at Disney is better than a day at work or at home. Heck, I'd prefer to just sit on Main Street and do nothing as opposed to not going at all :)

We travel as a group of 10. Sometimes more. We do things together and we do things separately. If someone wants to hop in a 40 minute standby line but others don't, we split up and meet back with each other in an hour.

You will have a great trip! Try to relax and let the cards fall where they may.

I agree with you. Disney is stressful and now with the shorter hours, trying to figure out how to get on everything even with some fastpasses is making the trip less fun that I would like it to be.

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I'm honestly kinda dreading our upcoming WDW trip July 20-Aug1st.

My wife, myself and our 2 kids (5&8) are meeting up with my brother SIL & their two kids (16&18). The kids adore each other & our reservations are linked at the same resort, so hopefully we'll be close by.

We haven't been to WDW in three years, & I only get to see family every 4-6 months, so I should be excited. Instead, I'm dreading the travel, the heat, the crowds, balancing what my young kids need with my desire to hang out with my brother/nieces/spouse.

My younger child ended up in the ER last time we went with a 106 degree fever due to heat stroke in September, so I've bought cooling towels & shirts for everyone.
We're flying from the West coast & while I adjust quickly to EST & want to be at the parks early AM & resort by noon for rest & pool & park around 6pm, my spouse doesn't adjust to time change well & who knows how the kids will be.

I really want to see Pandora and my SIL can't stand AK, plus no fast passes will be available able for the banshee ride.

Arugh. So much stress for a "fun" vacation.

How have others dealt with the worries & not being excited for a WDW trip due to all the unknowns?

That is a lot of personalities to manage! Don't be too hard on yourself. It's ok to feel a bit apprehensive. Especially with the memory of your son's heatstroke still fresh in your memory....that would spook anyone about going again during this hot time of year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter