Not for sure but I think we're going to cross a Cali property off our list

We are primarily a WDW family, but were strongly considering adding on to either VDH or VGC as it's more convenient for my sister and we do like the California parks. Unfortunately, after this current trip I think we are going to skip both. We are staying in a 2BD near the parks in VGC, and it has been SO LOUD at night between the music, fireworks, and whatever else is going on that my daughter said that her ears hurt and my husband (who is already struggling this trip) was beyond upset with the racket. Last night was supposed to be "quieter" but even then he called twice and went down to guest services twice to complain. They sent up earplugs, but that didn't help. I'm afraid about tonight because there are 3 events plus the As game. I don't think he'll ever want to come back after this experience.

My mom and I went to try to take a peak at VDH. Still no model units to look at, and the walk to the Disneyland Hotel was very unpleasant vs. just strolling out of VGC. My mom made the comment that it was "cheaper for a reason" and "why spend money to own somewhere we don't want to be?"

I think this means that we'll keep our Florida points and try for the occasional 7m reservation on the west coast. But who knows...

Sorry to hear as I love VGC. It sounds like you may have gotten a bad room noise wise because we were in a two bedroom there literally a year ago from today, and had no noise issues at all. I consider myself fairly sensitive, and even at home, I sleep with ear plugs. That said, I definitely understand not wanting to pay VGC prices if you have to take a gamble on a noisy room. Hope you can enjoy the rest of the vacation!

To be fair... VDH is closer walking distance to a park than most WDW resorts. If you're ok with the walk from BLT to MK, it's very similar. But monorail isn't as convenient for sure. On the other hand if you walk between BLT and MK you don't get a shopping district to enjoy along the way you get... nothing. Yup a stay or two using 7m Florida points will probably be telling and prudent before forking over 5-6 figures. Yes just strolling out of VGC is lovely/amazing but no WDW has that experience - it's unparalleled other than Miracosta at Disney Sea. We own at VGC and have never had noise issues that I can remember but maybe have been lucky or just less sensitive ears - feel for you that would suck. Which WDW DVC resorts do you think have the worst sound insulation?

We are primarily a WDW family, but were strongly considering adding on to either VDH or VGC as it's more convenient for my sister and we do like the California parks. Unfortunately, after this current trip I think we are going to skip both. We are staying in a 2BD near the parks in VGC, and it has been SO LOUD at night between the music, fireworks, and whatever else is going on that my daughter said that her ears hurt and my husband (who is already struggling this trip) was beyond upset with the racket. Last night was supposed to be "quieter" but even then he called twice and went down to guest services twice to complain. They sent up earplugs, but that didn't help. I'm afraid about tonight because there are 3 events plus the As game. I don't think he'll ever want to come back after this experience.

My mom and I went to try to take a peak at VDH. Still no model units to look at, and the walk to the Disneyland Hotel was very unpleasant vs. just strolling out of VGC. My mom made the comment that it was "cheaper for a reason" and "why spend money to own somewhere we don't want to be?"

I think this means that we'll keep our Florida points and try for the occasional 7m reservation on the west coast. But who knows...
That doesn’t sound fun.

We just stay in the parks until close and that solves our nighttime issues. DCA also closes earlier than DL. What time were you going back in the room? Was there a special late night event?

“It’s cheaper for a reason”… 🤣 As a VGC owner, that just makes me smile a bit.

“The walk to Disneyland Hotel was very unpleasant”… I believe it closer than any WDW property is to a WDW park, but it is amazing how much VGC spoils you!

Last edited:

No special events. Just the regular evening entertainment (9pm-11pm I think). I wouldn't say that we are particularly fussy when it comes to noise (we lived in NYC for many years), and we have stayed here before without issue. Last night when housekeeping came to deliver the headphones they had bags and bags, as if they were making the rounds to all of the surrounding rooms. Sounds like they have gotten a lot of complaints recently.

Totally agree that VDH to Disneyland is no further than a lot of Florida properties. Heck, we regularly walk from BC to HS or VGF to MK. But for some reason it's a lot less pleasant to walk through the crowds here whereas in Florida it's relatively peaceful once you leave the parks.

Totally agree that VDH to Disneyland is no further than a lot of Florida properties. Heck, we regularly walk from BC to HS or VGF to MK. But for some reason it's a lot less pleasant to walk through the crowds here whereas in Florida it's relatively peaceful once you leave the parks.

We had this experience pre-COVID a few years ago and it's a common complaint with Disneyland Hotel. On busy nights (weekends), it took forever to get back to the hotel because of all the live entertainment and people stopped (and drinking/dancing) in Downtown Disney.

The monorail was only open in the early mornings hours during the summer.

Last year, we had less problems at DLH because they tore down so much stuff at the end of Downtown Disney and we weren't there during the weekend.

Yes, VGC can be noisy because of the nighttime spectaculars and special events. However, it's the resort of all resorts when it comes to location. I've never had a problem once inside the room, but I could see why as you are very close to the action.

I love DLR. There's just so much rich history there. I would alternate between it and WDW, but unfortunately my family does not feel the same way. They prefer Florida by a mile.

No special events. Just the regular evening entertainment (9pm-11pm I think). I wouldn't say that we are particularly fussy when it comes to noise (we lived in NYC for many years), and we have stayed here before without issue. Last night when housekeeping came to deliver the headphones they had bags and bags, as if they were making the rounds to all of the surrounding rooms. Sounds like they have gotten a lot of complaints recently.
I was there last night in Rm 1506 (facing the park) and you are right, it was loud! DCA closed early at 9pm and the music was testing of theme music and sound system for Oogie Boogie Bash. I deduced this and is just my opinion based on what I know and have experienced. I have been an owner since 2019 and have heard it this loud once or twice before and each time was when we stayed there and attended OBB.

I was there last night in Rm 1506 (facing the park) and you are right, it was loud! DCA closed early at 9pm and the music was testing of theme music and sound system for Oogie Boogie Bash. I deduced this and is just my opinion based on what I know and have experienced. I have been an owner since 2019 and have heard it this loud once or twice before and each time was when we stayed there and attended OBB.
We were there on Wednesday night in a two-bedroom right by the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail (2518, if I remember correctly). They were testing the lights, music and special effects for the Oogie Boogie Bash until 11:49 pm. It was LOUD. I didn’t mind because I liked the music (would love to know what song it was- lots of drums) and it felt a little like being behind the scenes, but if i was someone who was a light sleeper or who wanted to be asleep before midnight, I would have been annoyed.

We were there on Wednesday night in a two-bedroom right by the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail (2518, if I remember correctly). They were testing the lights, music and special effects for the Oogie Boogie Bash until 11:49 pm. It was LOUD. I didn’t mind because I liked the music (would love to know what song it was- lots of drums) and it felt a little like being behind the scenes, but if i was someone who was a light sleeper or who wanted to be asleep before midnight, I would have been annoyed.
We just checked out of a 2 bedroom facing the pool and no noise at all and we were in bed early most nights (I am a light sleeper). So totally agree to request a pool view location.

Agree that the Grand spoils you when it comes to the walk to the parks. We did a split stay and spent 3 nights first at the DLH and it did seem like a haul (even though it really is not).

Our big peeve this trip was all the ride closures. Have never experienced anything like it. One morning after opening California Adventure had Radiator Springs, Luigi, Mater, Toy Story, Incredicoaster, Goofy’s Sky School and Guardians all down at the same time. We had been considering doing an add on at the new DLV but after that, my husband said he wants to see if they deal with all the ride issues. On Friday after the Haunted Mansion opened with the holiday overlay we tried to ride twice with our lightning lane and both times it broke down. Cast member said it had broken down 5 times that day. No clue what is going on with all the issues but it was really frustrating.

We were in 3522. If we ever go back we will definitely be requesting something quiet.

I filled out the survey and left pretty scathing comments about the noise level and the lack of help from the CMs.

I agree about the ride breakdowns. It was very disappointing.

We were there a few weeks ago and it wasn't bad, so I'm thinking OBB as well as maybe the specific room you are staying in may play a role.

I felt the same way about the DLH. I don't get the hype. We actually stayed at all 3 hotels and I preferred PPH to DLH. That said, we did get a free room upgrade at PPH so maybe that contributes to why I enjoyed it so much, lol.

We were in 3522. If we ever go back we will definitely be requesting something quiet.

I filled out the survey and left pretty scathing comments about the noise level and the lack of help from the CMs.

I agree about the ride breakdowns. It was very disappointing.
That doesn’t sound fun. What would your ideal solution have been from guest services?

That doesn’t sound fun. What would your ideal solution have been from guest services?
I don’t know but something more than “too bad it’s loud,” especially after the Xth time we complained. We were there for 3 nights and raised the issue immediately and repeatedly. They could have offered to change rooms to a different 2BD. Offer for us to change hotels if nothing was available in VGC. Heck, comp a couple of lightning lanes (we already had Genie+). I don’t know. But try to show SOME kind of empathy.

Typically they are at 100% occupancy for DVC and I would imagine for other two bedrooms so I can’t imagine that would’ve been possible. But o agree-at least pretend you care!!!

We were there right before the long weekend. I can’t believe there wouldn’t have been some kind of turnover for the 2nd night. I don’t know if we would have taken them up on the offer to move but it would have at least put the choice back on us.

We were there right before the long weekend. I can’t believe there wouldn’t have been some kind of turnover for the 2nd night. I don’t know if we would have taken them up on the offer to move but it would have at least put the choice back on us.
We had a serious maintenance issue that made our 2-bedroom become “un-occupy-able” after check-in but prior to “your room is available”this past March. They put us in two regular adjoining hotel rooms instead because nothing else was available. After much back and forth, we were comped access to concierge.

I think they might have an internal debate, which they don’t share with the guest, before saying there is nothing to do.

When I asked about being moved to a comparable concierge room, they said they did investigate that option but all the concierge rooms were physically occupied.

That’s when I asked for access to concierge lounge and they agreed.

What I took away from it is the fact that you may need to offer potential remedies if faced with a similar situation in the future.

Last edited:
If you are writing off California altogether...then probably a good decision to not buy-in there. If you will go back, even if it's once every 5 years...I'd still consider it. Value of the DL resorts down the road is going to trump value of the WDW resorts. Having the 11 month window at DL will have more importance than holding 11 month window at WDW.

In terms of the noise issues...we were there in July and didn't have these noise issues as well (room 1518 - 2 Bedroom with DCL entrance by Pixar Pier right outside our door). Personally was skeptical of first floor room, but ended up loving the location as we were able to enter through the Paradise Pier Hotel. Threw our kids in the stroller, walked out the back exit next to our room and were in the park within 3 minutes of leaving our room.

Making a note to myself to avoid oogie boogie bash stretch for noise reasons as it seems others in this thread had the same experience in this time frame.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter