Not getting a FOP fastpass? I am crazy?

WhitneyMB

Mouseketeer
Hi Dis-ers! My Fastpass day is tomorrow morning and I think I have a pretty good idea of most parks, but Animal Kingdom is still giving me fits. We’ll be there the last week of March for my son’s spring break, which is predicted to be pretty busy.

BACKGROUND- Last time we were there was in 2017, a month or so before Pandora opened, so we definitely want to do both FOP and Navi, as well as see Rivers of Light. Because we can’t FP both rides, I’m thinking we pretty much need to show up at rope drop (especially if we want to watch RoL in the evening).

So my question is—if we’re going to be rope dropping anyway, should we just get there even earlier and plan to be toward the front of the crowds, so we can do both FOP and then Navi at rope drop? That would allow me to save our three FP for Safari, Everest, and Dinosaur or Kali. All of these are predicted to have long lines starting around 9:30-10am. Dinosaur is a family favorite but I’m thinking that this one might be easier than Kali to pick up as a 4th FP. Is that correct?

Tomorrow it will seem crazy not to grab a FP for FOP (assuming it’s there), but every plan I try to figure out that has us starting at Navi at rope drop and leaving Pandora & doing other rides—and then coming back to use a FP for FOP later is REALLY inefficient, and doesn’t let us get done the rest of the stuff we want to do.o_O It also concerns me that Touring Plan estimates that even with a FP for FOP, we’ll still wait about 25 minutes for FOP later on, while if we use FP for other rides, they’ll be essentially walk-ons. I’m thinking that I'd rather show up earlier and wait at rope drop!
Thoughts? :thanks:

Current reports say to get to AK at least one hour prior to opening to be able ride FoP within some reasonable wait time.

Don't overthink it. If you have any desire to ride FOP twice, get the FP for it.

"Don't overthink it." :rotfl2: I think this advice could be given as the answer to half the questions asked here!! Thanks!

To be honest I have no ideas if we'll want to ride it twice, as we have never ridden it before. My concern is more with being able to fit all the rides into the one day we have at AK. The park is so spread out, and every single ride is predicted to have a longish wait except those done right at 9am or those that one has a FP for. I was looking to see how other people have approached AK on busy days when trying to hit all the rides.

If you think you and yours will enjoy FoP... I'd do both; get a FP and do rope drop. However, if you want to "risk" it, it is also entirely possible to get a same-day FP for FoP if you rope drop and then want to ride again. It seems to just take some time and refreshing on the app. But, yes, get there an hour early and you can do FoP then NRJ.

Personally, I would FP FOP and hit EE first, then Dinosaur at RP. You could then grab your other two FPs for Safari and maybe EE if you wanted to ride it again. Don't forget most people will be heading to Pandora at RD so doing the opposite should result in minimal wait times.

If FOP is available, grab that for sure. If you happen to not get there extra early and miss that advantage you'll be stuck in a long line. I would then get Safari and EE. RD Navi. Dinosaur and Kali shouldn't be too difficult to get as additional FP's during the day.

I would get the FOP FP no doubt - maybe try for a morning time and ride Navi standby first, then book your other two FP+. We have almost always been able to get Safari as a 4th (even Christmas week) and the single rider line for EE is usually fairly short.

DEFINITELY FP Flight of Passage.
I would do rope drop but head to the right of the park. You will be able to do EE x2, Kali x2, Dinosaur and Primeval Whirl with 10 minute or less waits if you go in that order. FP+ for Flight of Passage, Festival of the Lion King, and the Safari.
Personally, I would skip Rivers of Light and get in line for Na'vi River Journey about 15 minutes before park close. The wait will be shortest then. I don't care for ROL at all, and I want to so badly. AK is my favorite park and I love shows.

If FOP is available, grab that for sure. If you happen to not get there extra early and miss that advantage you'll be stuck in a long line. I would then get Safari and EE. RD Navi. Dinosaur and Kali shouldn't be too difficult to get as additional FP's during the day.

This is what I was thinking originally--
Rope drop only Navi (which I've heard is a little more forgiving on arriving 30-60 minutes before opening).
Get FPs for Safari and EE (or for Kali and single-rider EE)

You all are making me re-think that I should grab a FOP fastpass. It's just hard because we want to be able to do both of the Pandora rides (once) and still be assured of getting on the rest of our AK favorites once too!

I'm concerned though, as so many people seem to only be able to get FOP fast passes for later in the day. We'll be taking a break out of AK from about 3:00-6:30pm (short break & early dinner at Sanaa), so if I can't get a FP for FOP before about 2pm, it means that I'll probably be really limited in being able to get additional FPs for other rides. If we rope drop both FOP and Navi, then I'm confident that I can schedule the other FP when I want and be done early enough to get additional ones. The high crowd levels have me nervous about which additional FP,s will be available, but if we do the first 3 in the morning, I feel like there has to be some available. I'm not counting on a FOP additional FP popping up, but if it did, we would certainly jump on it!

Personally, I would skip Rivers of Light and get in line for Na'vi River Journey about 15 minutes before park close. The wait will be shortest then. I don't care for ROL at all, and I want to so badly.

But you had to see it once, right? Just to form an opinion? I'm prepared to be less than impressed, but my whole family at least wants to see it in person so we can come down in either the "for" or "against" RoL camps. :thumbsup2

Yeah, if we weren't planning for RoL, it would open up other options for sure.

This is what I was thinking originally--
Rope drop only Navi (which I've heard is a little more forgiving on arriving 30-60 minutes before opening).
Get FPs for Safari and EE (or for Kali and single-rider EE)

You all are making me re-think that I should grab a FOP fastpass. It's just hard because we want to be able to do both of the Pandora rides (once) and still be assured of getting on the rest of our AK favorites once too!

I'm concerned though, as so many people seem to only be able to get FOP fast passes for later in the day. We'll be taking a break out of AK from about 3:00-6:30pm (short break & early dinner at Sanaa), so if I can't get a FP for FOP before about 2pm, it means that I'll probably be really limited in being able to get additional FPs for other rides. If we rope drop both FOP and Navi, then I'm confident that I can schedule the other FP when I want and be done early enough to get additional ones. The high crowd levels have me nervous about which additional FP,s will be available, but if we do the first 3 in the morning, I feel like there has to be some available. I'm not counting on a FOP additional FP popping up, but if it did, we would certainly jump on it!

What day of your trip is your AK day? Hopefully towards the end?

No. Unfortunately, it's only day 2 (which couldn't be switched). However, I've been following this and everyone reporting back the past few days, and it does look like there will be some availability. Probably in the afternoon or evening, however.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835236

Yeah, that's going to be tough. I'd probably make sure you are there early then and RD FOP. I can't stand having my FP's tied up for the entire day lol. With wanting to do ROL you also lose the chance to ride at closing instead. Night before and day of I would then be looking for FOP FP's.

Yeah, that's going to be tough. I'd probably make sure you are there early then and RD FOP. I can't stand having my FP's tied up for the entire day lol. With wanting to do ROL you also lose the chance to ride at closing instead. Night before and day of I would then be looking for FOP FP's.

Thanks for the feedback!

Rivers of Light is often performed twice each evening. The 2nd show is usually right at or shortly after closing time and is much less crowded than the first performance.

We like to go to the late show and use the time when most guests are in the first show for rerides. Last summer, we were able to ride Dinosaur and Everest twice each plus a night Safari while that early performance was ongoing. We had just enough time to make it back to the amphitheater for the late show, which was less than a third full.

Another strategy is going to the early RoL then heading over to Pandora for a late ride on FoP just before closing time. We don't like this option as much since it requires arriving early to the RoL area.

Either way, you should be able to come up with a plan that allows for both rerides and RoL in the evening. Your son may want to hit some of those headliners more than once.

FYI - Kali is closed for refurb until March 22, so presumably that’s one less FP you’ll need to worry about.

Rivers of Light is often performed twice each evening.

Thanks! I'll continue to keep a look out for any changes. Right now there is only one showing scheduled (for 8:30 RoL with an 8:00 officially park close), but I'll keep an eye out. I know there is a possibility that hours could be extended and more shows added in the few weeks before our trip. As everyone always says, it's too bad we don't have all this information when making FPs (or ADRs)!

FYI - Kali is closed for refurb until March 22, so presumably that’s one less FP you’ll need to worry about.

Actually, we'll be there March 24th. I've tried to convince my family we can skip this, but they LOVE it. Hopefully we'll be able to get a 4th FP for it or we'll have to single-rider EE probably.

Hi Dis-ers! My Fastpass day is tomorrow morning and I think I have a pretty good idea of most parks, but Animal Kingdom is still giving me fits. We’ll be there the last week of March for my son’s spring break, which is predicted to be pretty busy.

BACKGROUND- Last time we were there was in 2017, a month or so before Pandora opened, so we definitely want to do both FOP and Navi, as well as see Rivers of Light. Because we can’t FP both rides, I’m thinking we pretty much need to show up at rope drop (especially if we want to watch RoL in the evening).

So my question is—if we’re going to be rope dropping anyway, should we just get there even earlier and plan to be toward the front of the crowds, so we can do both FOP and then Navi at rope drop? That would allow me to save our three FP for Safari, Everest, and Dinosaur or Kali. All of these are predicted to have long lines starting around 9:30-10am. Dinosaur is a family favorite but I’m thinking that this one might be easier than Kali to pick up as a 4th FP. Is that correct?

Tomorrow it will seem crazy not to grab a FP for FOP (assuming it’s there), but every plan I try to figure out that has us starting at Navi at rope drop and leaving Pandora & doing other rides—and then coming back to use a FP for FOP later is REALLY inefficient, and doesn’t let us get done the rest of the stuff we want to do.o_O It also concerns me that Touring Plan estimates that even with a FP for FOP, we’ll still wait about 25 minutes for FOP later on, while if we use FP for other rides, they’ll be essentially walk-ons. I’m thinking that I'd rather show up earlier and wait at rope drop!
Thoughts? :thanks:
Get a fast pass for FoP for sure! Get it for around park opening.
Also Rope drop it 75 minutes before opening. You are going to want two rides on FoP! You Really Really are!
You can thank me later. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter